Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Now Brewing: Zoka

posted by xscot mcknight

Out in the City of Rain (Seattle), our friend Eugene Cho at Q Cafe (and pastor at Quest Church), there is a coffee blend you just might want to try. It is called Zoka, 2008 Coffee Roaster of the Year. We are sampling Colonel Fitzroy’s Blend … just the grinding of it gave off an aroma that was delightful and inviting. I’m biased: anything that comes from a cafe called “Q” has something going for it but this coffee is genuinely a great brew. [OK, I think I'm mistaken: Q Cafe is brewing Stumptown. So what's the story with this Zoka that Eugene sent my way? Can you get Zoka at Q?] Big question:
What’s the best coffee out there? Here is my list …
1. Intelligentsia
2. Chestnut Hill Coffee Co
3. Zoka
4. One Village Coffee
5. ???

Jennifer

posted January 31, 2008 at 12:32 am

I thought Q was brewing Stumptown now.

Christine

posted January 31, 2008 at 12:43 am

Jennifer, that’s exactly what I was gonna post, word for word! :-) Proud that Stumptown hails from Portland and that Q Cafe deemed it worthy!

Tyler

posted January 31, 2008 at 1:38 am

Isn’t Starbucks from around there?
Haha jk.

john chandler

posted January 31, 2008 at 1:54 am

Zoka is pure delight. I brew it at home as well. It’s great, but there is just something special about having them pull the shots for you right there in the store…mmmmm.

Fred

posted January 31, 2008 at 8:27 am

My favorite is Pegasus (french roast), which is roasted in a little town (Winslow) on Bainbridge Island across Puget Sound from Seattle. It is a favorite many places here on the Olympic Peninsula.

RJS

posted January 31, 2008 at 8:36 am

Maxwell House
Chase and Sanbourn
Folgers
Paramount

Tammie

posted January 31, 2008 at 9:28 am

Michelle Van Loon

posted January 31, 2008 at 10:10 am

Maxwell House?

Lacey

posted January 31, 2008 at 11:46 am

i hope to be getting the espresso from my coffee shop to you soon! maybe next week sometime!

Liane

posted January 31, 2008 at 11:58 am

I agree! My friend/colleague (thanks, Bill!) turned me onto Intelligentsia Tres Santos Columbia during the holidays! I am now a faithful Internet buyer of the blend. It is wonderful!

RJS

posted January 31, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Ok Michelle, A more serious answer. For the best coffee – get the beans green from the grower in Honduras (other locations are probably good as well). Sort and roast in small quantities (an air popcorn popper works well), grind and brew within a day or so. Beats all of the ones listed above – no comparison.
But when the above is not available… I am usually most concerned with quantity, proximity, and cost, taste is far down the list, most varieties are passable.

Garrett

posted January 31, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Murky Coffee in DC brews Counter Culture Coffee from Durham, NC. It’s the best coffee I’ve ever had. I’ll have to echo the sentiments on home roasting though.

eugene

posted February 1, 2008 at 1:52 am

scot, it’s hard to rank the top roasters. they are all so close and really comes down to personal taste. i can’t argue with intelligentsia. we wanted to partner with zokas but decided near the of our decision process to go with stumptown. they are a great roaster and their commitment to direct trade was what won us over. folks will be hearing more and more about stumptown…

Dan

posted February 1, 2008 at 4:01 pm

I mentioned it before. Thanksgiving Coffee, from Fort Bragg, CA. “Not just a cup, but a just cup.” I particularly enjoy the Grey Whale blend and the Mendocino Bakery blend, while my wife is partial to the Dutch Chocolate.

Bob Robinson

posted February 1, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Scot,
Awwww… The smell of good Seattle coffee…
By the way,
Tomorrow marks two years since my aortic dissection. I just wanted to thank you again for posting all those updates.
God is good.
See my blog post on this at:
vanguardchurch.blogspot.com