Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by xscot mcknight

My Weekly Meanderings will be sparse this week with so much of our time spent traveling and with family.
You thinking of blogging? (HT: Henriet)
blogging-religion.jpg
21264727.JPG
Dave Dunbar posts a new missional journal on materialism. This might be the best one yet. [I got the link in an e-mail; the new piece is #11.1 so if it is not up on the webpage, check back later.]
New Blog of the Week: Dan deRoulet.
I want to highlight one of my former NPU student blogs about once a month so here is Sarah (Park) Johnson’s blog — check out chubby chew. Drop in and say hello to her from me.
Serious, moving, wise piece by Christine Scheller that reminds us of what Christmas is really all about.
Another new blog — with Susan Hogan Albach at the Chicago Sun Times.
This should give my friend David Fitch plenty to chew on, and my question is this: How much of a spectacle have been the European Cathedrals and the Eucharist in the same churches? I see these megachurch events as theatrical performances of the Christmas story. Is there a place for such in the Church?
1. Here is a NY Times hatchet job review of <a href="There is a God“>Antony Flew’s conversion from atheism to belief in God.
3. Good interview with J.K. Rowling, including statements about her faith.
4. A bleak piece by Garrison Keillor. An interview with Keillor and some pictures of his home.
5. Bob Smietana, of The Tennessean, writes a fine piece about Mary and Protestants. (Yes, he interviewed yours truly.)
Take a break, take a quiz. (HT: pepy)
6. The Sidneys 2007.
7. Capital punishment divides the Christian community; here is a piece in the NY Times and of all the books I’ve read, this book by David Clinton Owens and Virginia Stem Owens is my recommendation.
8. McKnight and Mozart brought together for the first time! (Thanks sam i is).
9. Lots of evangelicals jumped up and down for joy when Bauckham argued for the reliability of the Gospels on the basis of eyewitnesses, but his specifics are not without some need for greater clarification and support. See one response to Bauckham by Chris Tuckett. I’m inclined to think Bauckham has much in his favor, but my read of his stuff is that in this oral hypothesis at times he goes beyond what we can really know.
10. HT to Brad Boydston for this link to Terry Mattingly on racial reconciliation in American churches — where is it found?
Sports:
What about that crazy Bears game!
Good lists.
On steroids: nothing good will come until the players and the players union willingly say “It’s time to be open and honest. Test us for what you want; we are honest.” As long as the union protects the players, the players can appeal to the union to protect them from transparency. For the good of the game, which assumes a level playing field, tell the truth.

Bob Brague

posted December 29, 2007 at 1:20 am

Ten numbered items and eleven unnumbered items. If this is an example of “sparse” weekly meanderings, my name is Amelia Galli-Curci and I call plays for the Chicago bears while singing “Un bel di” from Madame Butterfly. :)

Peggy

posted December 29, 2007 at 1:47 am

The Abbess LOVES the cartoon 8)

henk

posted December 29, 2007 at 5:39 am

hi Scot McKnight,
I am in love with Mary, thanks to your book! Great book! 2 questions; I do not believe in trinity, I think Jesus is the iamge of God, notGod himself.
2. How can we pray to Mary or ask for her mediation if she is dead?
Kind regards, henk

Anonymous

posted December 29, 2007 at 9:38 am

Random Acts of Linkage #41 : Subversive Influence

[...] I’m going to leave it abbreviated there… given the season, I imagine many folk have as little time to read as I do, but Scot McKnight has some more links if you exhaust these ones. You can show appreciation for this post by buying me a can of soup… New around here? Why not Subscribe? Thanks for dropping by — Gratia vobis et pax. 5 Views (Excluding Feeds) ::: Leave a Comment Post Permalink:  http://www.subversiveinfluence.com/wordpress/?p=1537 [...]

J-Marie

posted December 29, 2007 at 11:28 am

No Mexico this year?

RJS

posted December 29, 2007 at 12:48 pm

To classify today’s Weekly Meanderings as sparse (thinly spread, or occurring with many spaces in between) is a bit like calling Lake Michigan a backyard pond.
THIS should give all of us – not just David Fitch – plenty to chew on. Yes – there certainly have been spectacles in European Cathedrals, and on occasion still there still are. They can be powerful experiences used by God (who after all can work through most anything). But does such professional theatrical performance really grow the church, or does it encourage couch potato Christianity? The talented and abnormal minority “do” – the rest, the normal majority, watch and grow fat and lazy.
We dare not act if we are not experts (a cultural flaw the church is appropriating – not a creation of the church).
Christianity is a lifestyle commitment – not a spectator sport.

Scott E.

posted December 29, 2007 at 1:39 pm

Umm, Scot, that was Beethoven, not Mozart. It is very troubling when a scholar of your reputation cannot keep his composers straight. Oh my.

Bob Robinson

posted December 29, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Scot,
Thanks for the links concerning capital punishment. It is timely, since I just watched Thomas Cahill on Bill Moyers Journal (watch video here), where Cahill talks about his research for a new book on the Texas execution of Dominique Green.
Watching the Moyers’ interview, it got me thinking, especially as I research for my book on the Imago Dei in humanity as the community of witness (an Emmanuel Apologetic), about the “Eikon” in humanity and the command in Genesis 9 that “Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man.” It seems that, in principle, Christians should favor capital punishment. But that it must be in the context of a societal understanding that humanity is created in the image of God as the foundation of this being an “accounting” (Gen 9:5) for our actions, as a matter of justice. This is no longer the case in Western societies like the USA. And, as I assume the book you recommend points out (Living Next Door to the Death House), the death penalty in the United States is not just. Capital Punishment, an action that is meant to be for justice, is not a just act in our cultural context.
I’d be interested in your in-depth understanding of this, especially in light of your concept articulated in Embracing Grace of the Eikon of God in humanity!

sam i is

posted December 31, 2007 at 1:13 pm

scott e. was right… it was beethoven’s moonlight sonata. but really its the same (some dead guy from the past who wrote beautiful music). thanks for the link!

Peggy

posted December 31, 2007 at 8:23 pm

Sorry to say, but there was a horrific Christmas Eve murder spree (in Washington State) that I am hopeful will result in death penalty convictions for aggravated first degree murder…sometimes it is still warranted.