Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by xscot mcknight

Save the bonobos in the Congo:
bonobos.jpg
We’ve agreed to do some speaking in South Africa from May 4-13. Our contact person is Ds. Attie Nel in Rustenberg near Johannesburg. Needless to say, we are very excited about this.
New blog of Tamara Buchan, a Covenant missional church planter in Pine Lake near Seattle: the church is Missio Lux.
But Don, did you hear the birds? Are those “bird-sensitive-thingies?
I have for a long time told folks that Matthew 6:33 isn’t the nice gentle warm idea many think — so Dan Brennan’s recent series is worth printing out and filing away for a good reminder.
John Frye’s 4th post in a series on Jesus as the first emergent leader.
Michael Kruse is one of the sharpest thinkers I’ve read in the blog world when it comes to Christians and economics.
1. Some are beginning to see more in the Last Supper than they Alexandrians saw in Jesus’ parables!
2. Another item to add to my list of why not to own an iPod.
3. Am I the only one who has not heard of the Beloit Mindset List?
4. Privacy rights could become a much bigger issue, but the article points to the reality that many simply don’t seem to care.
5. Br. Maynard and his family is praying with the church.
6. LA Times piece on Cardinal George’s role in the scandals of priests.
7. Karen was in the news recently and reminds us all for the need to remember.
vietnam.jpg
8. Dan Kimball’s wise and balanced words.
9. Sivin Kit put me onto this clever program and it rates my blog at this level:
cash advance
10.
McDonalds has entered the coffee battle. [Sometimes my Chicago Tribune links don’t work — so if this isn’t working, just know that McD’s is now starting to brew more coffees.]
11. I’m all for birding, and I don’t like cats, but this isn’t the way to solve the problem of cats hunting our birds.
Sports:
The Bears!
td.jpgrex.jpg
The Juice slashed and passed through the Buckeyes.
juice.jpg
I’ve given the ugly Ducks a hard time for their uniforms, but when Dixon went down Thursday evening with a knee surgery the life was sucked from the team. They’ll be back — the Ducks are still one of the best teams in the nation.
The rumor is that this is actually John Franke, Viking uberFan.
john-franke.jpg

Ted M. Gossard

posted November 17, 2007 at 12:14 am

Yes, that quarterback had committed to the Buckeyes, but decided to stay in his own state with Illinois. Either decision would have been good for him, as we are seeing now. I read an article that Ohio State defensive players, while giving him credit, just felt out of synche in that game, and were out of position quite often. They thought that they just weren’t themselves. If that plays over into beating Michigan this week, then it’s worth it. Thought the psychological factor of losing your first game and being knocked out of #1 could weigh against Ohio State. Oh well, in the real world it’s just a nice diversion.

Tyler Braun

posted November 17, 2007 at 2:39 am

The Ducks are not a great football team without Dixon. He is out for the year and they probably will lose out. The offense is built for a quarterback that can run, something Leaf cannot. What you saw last night was the beginning of a fall that has only begun.
-An honest view from an Oregonian.

Ted M. Gossard

posted November 17, 2007 at 6:55 am

Tyler,
That Illini qb can run and it’s no wonder the Buckeyes wanted him. They thought they had the next Troy Smith. Too bad about Dixon. No wonder they lost.

RJS

posted November 17, 2007 at 7:40 am

Scot,
On #3 – yes. Front page story every year. Esp. in college towns.

Diane

posted November 17, 2007 at 7:53 am

Re the LA Times piece on Cardinal George: I continue to be amazed at the blindness of some in the RC hierarchy. I can’t help but connect it to Michael Kruse’s piece on income distribution and the Bible. We need to start seeing amassing wealth not as a right or non-right or something to be defended or not with arguments that pound people with their logic, but as something to be avoided because of what it does to our souls, something that can warp us just as can drugs or alcohol. While I agree with Michael that the Bible is not advocating for one particular economic system or for replacing capitalism (which actually didn’t exist then anyway) with socialism, I am uneasy with the implicit conclusion that the Bible says its all right to amass great wealth … because look at what has happened in the RC Church to many of those who have been insulated by the church’s wealth and privilege (even if they have taken vows of poverty). I truly believe that some of them really can’t see the damage they cause, because they have always understood that they and their cronies are entitled to whatever they want. I believe Michael has a good heart but I am nervous with the how the more coldhearted could use his work to justify more of a “keep your hands off of my stack” mentality and say it is Biblically OK to shield yourself with wealth. Jesus is calling us to full life and that means understanding reality, which means understanding what it is to be poor and dispossed and not privileged. That is a gift, not a deprivation. The Roman Catholics do a huge amount to help the poor, but it hasn’t prevented the sex abuse scandal coverup or prevented Father George from coming up with very lame excuses for keeping sexual abusers on the payroll.

cas

posted November 17, 2007 at 8:11 am

Scot McNight, there is no way in the universe that your blog is “junior high” and mine rated “high school.” That program is bogus! Hope to say hi this morning at AAR.

Diane

posted November 17, 2007 at 8:53 am

I thought the junior high was why I could comprehend it first thing in the morning … but sometimes I can’t!

Michael W. Kruse

posted November 17, 2007 at 9:06 am

Thanks for the link!

sheryl

posted November 17, 2007 at 10:54 am

You DON’T own an iPod??!!! You know similar things are said about cell phones, i.e., they can cause brain damage. I do limit my iPod use for my ear’s sake–I’d like to have my hearing in 20 years.

don

posted November 17, 2007 at 11:25 am

Dear Scot; They are able to let sound in, but I do trade off the sound of birds for that of Bach and Over the Rhine. Can’t have it both ways!

Dan Brennan

posted November 17, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Thanks for the link, Scot.

pepy

posted November 17, 2007 at 8:33 pm

I think it is very telling that the LA Times covers the article about Cardinal George and NOT the Chicago Tribune nor the Chicago Sun Times. This is just another sort of thing that leads people to leave the church, because that’s their only voice–to leave.

Heather

posted November 18, 2007 at 1:20 am

Ha–somehow my blog was placed at “College (post-grad)” reading level. I think there’s a mistake here…

Peggy

posted November 19, 2007 at 3:36 am

Hey, Scot…sorry about the Bears but I needed the Seahawks to cheer me up after our WSU Cougars just got creamed by the OSU Beavers…and it will be interesting to see how the Beavers and Ducks turn out, now that Dixon is out.
And my blog is placed at “High School” level…I’m with you, cas…go figure!

cas

posted November 19, 2007 at 11:23 am

Interesting Peggy. Our identities keep intersecting. Are we the same person or twins separating at birth??? : )

Laurie

posted November 19, 2007 at 12:45 pm

Scot, I’ve been lurking on your blog for a while, but this deserves a comment! Thank you for noting Tamara Buchan’s entry into the blog world. Our family is thrilled and blessed to be a part of what is developing into Missio Lux.
By the way, our daughter Annika is named after your daughter-in-law who we fell in love with during our dating/camp counselor days in New York. She was a delightful little girl and of course we cherish all the time we spent with the Nelsons. So we decided we needed an Annika of our own. ~ Your Annika knows us as “Laurie and Bunns”.

Laurie

posted November 19, 2007 at 3:14 pm

By the way, Tamara’s blog rated College (Post Grad)- http://www.missiolux.blogspot.com ~Laurie

Anonymous

posted November 23, 2007 at 7:54 pm

The Reading Level of this Blog « faithmaps blog

[…] 23 November 2007 by snshields I read about this little app over at Jesus Creed and decided to check out faithmaps’ reading level. […]