Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Halloween Preparations

posted by xscot mcknight

About two weeks before Halloween, Kris finds herself pondering what kinds of candy to give to the small number of kids who knock on our door and give us the meaningless options of “Trick or Treat.” About 11 days out one of us tests the bags of candies she has brought home, thinking we certainly won’t give them all away. So, last Sunday while Kris was gone I thought I’d try a Reese’s cup and Kris, immediately noticing that a bag had been opened, asked, “Who opened the Halloween candy?” “Not me,” I said with the wrapper in my hand. On Tuesday I observed that the Kit-Kat bag had been opened. “Who opened that?,” I asked. “Not sure,” Kris replied. “I think it was Webster.”
This weekend, perhaps on Saturday, Kris will think that we might run out of candies for the kids so she’ll buy two more bags. Gotta be ready “just in case.”

Ben S.

posted October 30, 2007 at 3:20 am

As a kid I always enjoyed the Reese’s cup. But also, the little Twix bars and Milky Way’s were always something I looked forward to.

Diane

posted October 30, 2007 at 6:12 am

Hope the candy passed the “taste test”… better go “test” mine! Obviously, Scot, two weeks is not far enough out if you want the chocolate to age properly … you have to start at four weeks, taste “test” and then at two weeks and then … you really have to once again sample the candy you’re actually giving out …

Duane

posted October 30, 2007 at 6:17 am

Sounds like the McKnight house is haunted!

Michelle Van Loon

posted October 30, 2007 at 6:19 am

Don’t forget – 50% off Halloween candy available at Walgreens first thing Thursday AM.

Clay Knick

posted October 30, 2007 at 8:12 am

Who are the real kids here? Hmm…

Dianne

posted October 30, 2007 at 9:34 am

Oh yeah, I hear you. Yesterday my husband asked if he should get some candy. Sure. Go ahead. My only stipulation – nothing with peanut butter or dark chocolate. Anyways I get home last night and he has close to 300 pieces of candy! For the less than 100 kids that come to our house. Go figure. It’s gonna be “help yourself to a handful, kiddos!” if I have anything to do with it!

Dianne P

posted October 30, 2007 at 9:46 am

Webster? Of course. Those little critters really do have opposable thumbs. They just hide them from us, and only use them in secret to do their *candy stealing* work.

Scott Eaton

posted October 30, 2007 at 10:20 am

One of the best things about preparing the Halloween candy is “quality control.” :-)

Friend of Pascal

posted October 30, 2007 at 10:30 am

What costume is Webster wearing for Halloween?

ryan

posted October 30, 2007 at 10:46 am

Hi Scot,
…well, since you brought it up, I have a quick question for you: what is the “harm” in celebrating a pagan holiday? What is redeemable and what should be left alone? Perhaps you have written about this elsewhere?
ryan

John W Frye

posted October 30, 2007 at 12:33 pm

Scot and Kris,
Yours is the house we’d love to ‘trick or treat’ when I was a kid. Chocolate candy…not those itsy bitsy sour sugar candies and miniature Tootsie Rolls don’t count as *real* chocolate. Still the best are the little Snickers, Milky Ways, 3 Musketeers, Reeses, etc.

Pam S.

posted October 30, 2007 at 12:55 pm

We moved to a new neighborhood last year and bought a Costco box of big candy bars to give out on Halloween. Total number of visitors: 1 little girl. We loaded her up, but still have some of the Butterfingers. :o)

:mic

posted October 30, 2007 at 1:12 pm

I’m a little shocked you still pretend to buy it ‘for the kids.’ So does my wife, but I make no bones about it. It belongs to them. . .if they get here in time!
Bruh-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Kim Aliczi

posted October 30, 2007 at 1:55 pm

I’m doing the “forbidden” this year – same as last. I’m baking my famous toll house cookies and wrapping them up. My husband even made me little labels for the bags with my name and phone number, in case any parents have questions about ingredients, etc. I’m also offering apples. All the kids who came to my door last year seemed to really enjoy the cookies…so why not?

MatthewS

posted October 30, 2007 at 2:49 pm

Kim, It sounds like a very nice neighborly thing to do.

BeckyR

posted October 30, 2007 at 2:49 pm

We used to inspect the obviously bought from the store candy for tampering before letting our kid eat it. Made at home stuff got put in the trash. oy vey. The world we live in now.
Loved the Whites’ house as a kid, they gave out caramel popcorn balls and candy apples. And we took along Unicef boxes too, our parents made us. Wanted to get old enough till we could get across That street and trick or treat at the wealthier houses – better candy.
This year, somewhat jokingly, hubby and I said we ought to hand out toothbrushes to those kids obviously too old to be out trick or treating. This year it’s Whoppers. Hubby gets the left overs and guess what his favorite candy is! One year we handed out christian comic books along with candy. The kids thought it was so cool.

Jonathan Hughes

posted October 30, 2007 at 4:34 pm

If at all possible please only give out peanut free candy. There are so many allergic children out there now that Halloween can be a very dangerous time.