Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by xscot mcknight

Chicago’s skyline:
skyline1.jpg
Last week was the most demanding week I’ve ever had for speaking events, and so we’re ready for a few weeks of down time. But, we’re looking forward to the emerging event in Austin TX. This will be one emerging event that addresses theological beliefs.
Site worth following: Women in the Vineyard.
Pray for Erika — she’s about to deliver. And how has: Welcome Elijah William Haub.
David Fitch on megachurches.
Perhaps one of the most significant study I’ve yet seen from Barna.
Episcopal defections and decisions.
Ken Schenck asks if “inductive” in Bible study is as “objective” as it thinks.
Wow.
CT piece by Ted Olsen on the death of blogs.
1. We can all be this green.
2. Messianic Jewish pastor’s sermon for Yom Kippur.
3. Nothing quite like real world politics.
4. What pastors get paid.
5. Dan Kimball’s series (and announcement they are merging with the Presbies).
6. John Frye on how Jesus re-images God and God’s ways.
7. Bob Robinson is at the forefront of postmodern apologetics.
8. Critique can be withering, and iMonk took it hard — Michael, lots of us are with you in that middle land called the third way. [I don't know what happened to this link, but I'm hoping it is just down temporarily.]
9. Are you a workaholic? 20 Questions.
10. Kris found this blog by a young woman who is a medical doctor in Haiti. Interesting reads.
Sports:
Man, the Cubs are shaky … and found their legs … and won … and the Brewers lost … AND THE CUBS WIN THE DIVISION!
I’m not sure Grossman is the problem but I’m hoping things will turn around with Griese.
griese.jpg

Christine

posted September 29, 2007 at 2:11 am

Erica’s more recent update says her new baby boy
was born on the 26th. :-)

Christine

posted September 29, 2007 at 2:12 am

Make that Erika!

rich

posted September 29, 2007 at 11:02 am

Still in denial on GROSSman… :)

ChrisB

posted September 29, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Green tips from the guy with the “carbon footprint” of something like forty people? CNN’s got nerve, that’s for sure.

Tim Gombis

posted September 29, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Unbelievable! The Cubbies did it! We’re heading down to the game tomorrow to celebrate–should be fun!

steph

posted September 29, 2007 at 7:36 pm

and this milwaukee girl sighs……
and turns her attention to the green and gold.

Kenton

posted September 29, 2007 at 8:13 pm

You may not be up from hearing from a Cowboys fan right now, but last year we came to a point where we benched Drew Bledsoe. My thougth at the time was, “I don’t know if Romo is the QB of the future, but Bledsoe certainly isn’t so why not try the kid out?”
A little different in that Greise has a history Romo didn’t, but maybe he just needs a change of scenery?

Tom S.

posted September 29, 2007 at 10:00 pm

As one born in the land of cheese, I was pulling for the Brewers, who choked worse than the Cubs. I’m still amazed that the Cardinals folded. The MLB playoffs seem wide open – anyone could win including the Cubbies!
I’m also amazed at Samantha Larson’s feat at climbing the Seven Summits by the age of 18. I’m a bit perplexed (maybe dismayed is a better word) that her parents let her climb such high peaks at the age of 12 and 13. It brings to mind some kids who perished flying planes before they could legally drive. I’m not sure why parents permit their children to do such dangerous endeavors. Usually the epitaph reads that the child died doing what they loved, which may be true, but it doesn’t negate parental responsibility.

Tom Grosh IV

posted September 30, 2007 at 7:21 am

Yes, the death of blogs, http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/october/13.22.html I recently had dinner with a friend who mentioned his appreciation for my blog. To put it simply, he found the material posted “a quasi-educational blessing” with a variety of threads to find the specific updates he was looking for, not a continual self-centered ramble. I see the blog as a way to stay in touch with friends across distance, we keep “an eye on one-another,” through tools such as http://www.blogarithm.com/, but most of us don’t find the necessity to continuously post on our own blogs or those of others. It’s great to re-engage one-another through personal emails, when we chat on the phone, see one-another at our local congregation, or when we’re visiting across long distances.
Keep up the good work with http://www.jesuscreed.org . . . It appears to take a village to generate the material to post and truly a village responds. And although not always posting, I have followed many of the conversations and found them a blessing.

Bob Robinson

posted September 30, 2007 at 7:37 am

GO TRIBE!

Ted M. Gossard

posted September 30, 2007 at 3:34 pm

34 Lions points against the Bears in the 4th quarter? That reminded me of arena football.

Scot McKnight

posted September 30, 2007 at 3:48 pm

Ted,
The Bears are a mess right now. Can’t seem to find anything to go well.

Ted M. Gossard

posted September 30, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Scot,
I don’t know how good the Lions really are, but they do have that Mike Martz offense which has its upside (explosive) and downside, and their defense can look okay. I’m not a Lions fan, but I do kind of root for him since we live in Michigan. It would be nice for Kitna’s prediction of 10 wins this year to come true.
But yes, the Bears do look out of sorts.

Dj

posted October 2, 2007 at 8:43 am

On the site for ‘what ministers get paid’ I have to object. I’ve yet to meet a minister that makes that much in any of those categories. Or maybe I just need to move to the areas that they took that survey!