Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Texan Lutherans

posted by xscot mcknight

Kris and I were invited to King of Glory Lutheran Church, sitting next to Hwy 635 in North Dallas and not far from Valley View Mall, Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Saturday night was a public event on the Jesus Creed and Sunday morning was a teaching session for the good folks at King of Glory.
First, we are grateful to Greg Smith and a clutch of folks there who thought the message of the Jesus Creed was something they thought appropriate for the ministries there. We had a wonderful time and found the folks informed, good thinkers, and receptive.
Second, I must mention some others: Christa Ballard Tooley’s mom and dad attended, as did “pepy’s” mom and dad; Pastor Mohrweis, a Covenant pastor; a constant blog commenter here, Andie Piehl — with her husband and friend — as well as Ted Gossard’s (another Jesus Creeder) sister (Maxine) and her husband (Steve). It was such an honor for all these kind folks to come Saturday night.
Third, I focused Saturday evening on the need to move from a quest for novelty to the value of ancient sacred rhythms. So, I worked on Israel’s Sacred Rhythm (Shema), Jesus’ Sacred Rhythm (Jesus Creed), the early Christian sacred rhythm (Jesus Creed with a focus on the second half in James, Paul, John, and Peter), and then I looked at Mary as one who struggled with learning to love the God who was making himself known through the cross and a community of faith.
Third, Sunday morning — a new audience — we focused on “finding our voice.” We looked at some who have a voice — M. Teresa, Billy Graham, Rick Warren, and Jim Wallis — and then asked what Jesus’ voice was:
1. Learning the voice of Jesus: a voice with roots (Shema and Jesus Creed)
2. Observing the voice of Jesus: a voice with legs (table fellowship)
3. Growing in the voice of Jesus: a voice with change/growth (life of apostle John).
Great fun … then we rushed to the airport and got home by about 4pm.

karen

posted September 10, 2007 at 12:26 am

Takes some kind of dedication to be a Lutheran in Dallas. Is it like growing up vegan when your daddy’s a cattle baron? What a schedule you keep, Scot! I get worn out just reading about your travels. Do you keep a suitcase packed like a pregnant woman?

Scot McKnight

posted September 10, 2007 at 6:07 am

Karen,
I’m not so sure, sista, that I travel anymore than you! We try to keep it at twice a month during the school year and very little, if any, during the summer. This month is busy though.

Andie Piehl

posted September 10, 2007 at 7:35 am

Good morning! It was great to see and get to visit a bit with you and Kris Saturday evening. I hope you get rested up and ready for your next trip. I really don’t know how you keep up this schedule.
Blessings to you both. I give thanks for you, this blog, your books, and all the many other ways God uses you to grow us up in love for Him and one another.
Andie

John W Frye

posted September 10, 2007 at 10:01 am

Karen (#1),
You’re too funny…”growing up vegan in a Texas cattle baron’s home”! I remember taking a first year German language at North Texas State University in Denton, TX. What a hoot to hear German spoken in the deep Texas drawl of the cowboys in that area. And my German professor–swear to God–looked like a little Hitler, mustache and all!

MM

posted September 10, 2007 at 1:02 pm

Scot, it was good to have you drop by Dallas for the weekend. I appreciate the discussion on the Jesus Creed but in all honesty I find myself still thinking about the brief Q and A period regarding Mega-churches, the emerging Church and the question of anonymity.
You may have discussed this on previous entry, but here’s a question for you: How might missional Jesus handle ministry in the suburbs (ie- the constant reality of privatization and the quest for anonymity)
Thanks again for dropping by our way!

Andie

posted September 10, 2007 at 1:17 pm

John, when did you attend North Texas?

Andy Tooley

posted September 10, 2007 at 2:30 pm

Scot,
While I am always happy to have my wife’s name mentioned on your blog, I must remind you (as I remind my in-laws), Christa is now a Tooley! Ron and Wanda really enjoyed your talk, by the way.
Cheers,
Andy

Kenton

posted September 10, 2007 at 4:04 pm

Scot-
I was there too! Sorry I didn’t say hi. I found $8 in my wallet, and went to my car to scrounge up another $2 to buy the book. When I couldn’t find $2 in my car, I left to see the end of the TCU-Texas football game. (Hook’em!)
Your talk was great, and I ran into 4 people from my church’s book club. Maybe “The Jesus Creed” will be a future selection.
-Kenton

Andie

posted September 10, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Sorry I didn’t meet you, Kenton.
I guess it was worth it for you to leave early for home to see the game, but I think I’m glad I didn’t. :( I work at TCU and am an alum, so I was really hoping we would win, or at least have the final score be really close. I had to make a hard choice to come hear Scot. I think that’s why I kept thinking he was coming Friday rather than Saturday – some sort of Fruedian slip. :)
You have to understand how we Frogs are; I think we might compare to Cubs fans it’s been so long since anyone took us seriously. Then after beating every Big 12 team we played the last couple of years, we were finally beginning to be taken seriously. Of course, losing to UT isn’t the end of the world, and I’m convinced we are still a great team, but winning would have sure been a jewel in our crown.
Go Horn Frogs!
Andie

Ted M. Gossard

posted September 10, 2007 at 6:39 pm

Maxine (my older sis) and Steve loved it. Maxine is just as excited now as before she went, wanting to get into her “The Jesus Creed” and “Real Mary” books, as well as reciting the “Jesus Creed” daily, etc. And Steve was pleasantly surprised, I think. It doesn’t hurt that he is an avid golfer and has a liturgical background.
Here’s a pic of Scot & Kris and Maxine & Steve (even the guys look alright in that one): http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=fkvczef.4lnifyk7&Uy=-xy3gz6&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Ted M. Gossard

posted September 10, 2007 at 7:44 pm

(I acutally meant the older of my two sisters- as Maxine reminded me, I’m the oldest!)

Andie Piehl

posted September 10, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Ted, I met your sister, only I didn’t know that’s who she was. When you talk to Maxine again, tell I was the woman who was talking with her about dry eyes. She’ll probably remember me. :)
Small world; isn’t it?

Aaron

posted September 10, 2007 at 9:22 pm

Scot, I’m curious how long a talk like your Sunday morning talk takes?

Kenton

posted September 10, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Andie-
I think I have a little understanding of how frog fans are. I had a cousin play for Abe Martin in the early 60’s, and a friend of mine now plays on the OL (Marshall Newhouse), so I kinda felt bad for the frogs losing even though I’m always first and foremost a Longhorn.
I’m sure Gary will have those frogs winning the Mountain West again.

Scot McKnight

posted September 10, 2007 at 11:05 pm

Aaron,
I think I had about an hour.

John W Frye

posted September 11, 2007 at 9:01 am

Andie (#6),
I attended NTSU for two years–1969-70, 1970-71.

Aaron

posted September 11, 2007 at 7:52 pm

Thanks Scot. I find it interesting how long various denominations expect a sermon to be. In some Anglican churches, for example, a 10 minute homily is pressing the edges!