Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Now Brewing

posted by xscot mcknight

One of my students brought to me for the first day of class a pound of that fine, wonderful, flavorful and aromatic blend: Chestnut Hill Coffee Company‘s espresso blend. If you ever get to Philly, try it — they make one of the best lattes in the world. If you are a St-rb-ck’s fan, I suggest you not try Chestnut Hill. It would be like the person who drives a beater who suddenly discovers the glory of a beamer!

Dan

posted September 21, 2007 at 12:54 am

Now that is just below the belt. As a Sbux regular, I’m offended.

Diane

posted September 21, 2007 at 6:39 am

Scot,
We’ve been enjoying Dean’s Beans at home and now something else? Too many choices, future shock … ay yi yi!

carrie

posted September 21, 2007 at 6:48 am

Star-whatever roasts their coffees in a distinctively trademark way. Either you like the taste of burned coffee, or you don’t. ;-) I don’t. I have a place that roasts their beans right there in front of you: fresh, fresh, fresh! They seem to be able to do dark without burned or bitter.

John W Frye

posted September 21, 2007 at 7:17 am

We left “Fourbucks” a long time ago…we don’t like burnt beans.

Burly

posted September 21, 2007 at 10:27 am

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again (with feigned passion), S-bucks is simply very bold coffee. I still think it’s a boldness issue and not an over-roasting issue. But hey, I was wrong once before. I agree that other coffees are superior. I’m growing more and more convinced that my best daily option financially is brewing Trader Joe’s French Roast at home through a (*gasp*) paper cone filter.

Scot McKnight

posted September 21, 2007 at 10:31 am

Burly,
Your faith is flagging. 8) What we need is a tract like Hebrews for those who are leaving the coffee faith.

Jim P.

posted September 21, 2007 at 11:49 am

I live in Seattle and we have more on-premise coffee roasting houses than you can shake ten sticks at! Yet, empire Starbucks still manages to have a store on nearly every block downtown Seattle… well, maybe not every block but close!
If you truly want a good cup of coffee, Seattle is the Mecca… but please don’t visit us. ;) How’s that for a warm welcome? :)

John W Frye

posted September 21, 2007 at 12:03 pm

Scot and Burly (#6),
How can those who have tasted the robust wonders of Intelligentsia or Frenz espresso or Dean’s Beans and have abandoned the caffeine faith by returning to filtered through a cone coffee be renewed, for it is impossible to renew them to java repentance seeing that they have trampled under foot the most glorious of flavors?
Brews 6:4-5

RJS

posted September 21, 2007 at 12:07 pm

Maxwell house and basket filter automatic drip or Dunkin Donuts – save money for (or spend money on) more important things

Bob

posted September 21, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Scot,
How funny (and perhaps sad) that your newly coined word, St-rb-cks, is similar to contemporary Jewish publications references to G-d. This is the accepted way of recognizing the holiness and “complete otherness” of the subject, I believe.

Andy Cornett

posted September 21, 2007 at 2:41 pm

I’m with Burly (#5) on finance and flavor – I found the Trader Joe’s French Roast this past year and it’s my daily standby (through the paper filter as well). That is some seriously good stuff …

Tom

posted September 21, 2007 at 3:21 pm

Scot,
Chestnut Hill Coffee Company is unmatched. There is no point in debating who has the best latte. CHCC owns that category. Tomorrow morning I’ll make my monthly pilgrimage to that extrardinary place. I’ll grab an extra bag of beans for you.
Tom

Dana Ames

posted September 21, 2007 at 5:15 pm

What’s the complaint with a paper filter?
Dana

Scot McKnight

posted September 21, 2007 at 8:02 pm

Tom,
You are right. Look forward to seeing you next weekend.

Burly

posted September 26, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Dana on #13 (as if this post will ever be revisited again) – some people say that the paper cone removes the essential oils of the beans blah, blah, blah … I just went to Trader Joe’s the other day in Northbrook, IL and noticed that they now sell extra dark French Roast. I didn’t buy it (I’m fully stocked right now), but I’m wondering if anyone would accuse the beans of being over-roasted … oh, snap.