Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Cricket Update

posted by xscot mcknight

For those of you who participated in the humorous conversation about our attempt to rid our house of crickets, we want to give a hearty thanks. Late Friday night someone passed on the Dallas Times news article about how to get rid of crickets — orange oil, which we have in the form of Murphy’s Oil Soap. Yep, that did it. Peace and quiet. And we still enjoy the crickets in our back yard plenty.

Peggy

posted September 2, 2007 at 11:48 am

Scot,
They’re going to have to update the jingle for Murphy’s Oil Soap…”I’ve been using Murphy’s Oil Soap all through this house of mine, and the dirt is finished but the finish is fine….”
RJS, want to give it a whirl :)

Mike

posted September 2, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Murphy’s as a bug terminator? Clever!

carrie

posted September 2, 2007 at 3:01 pm

I just found out today that just a few drops of citronella oil in water will also drive most bugs out of an area. Many insects have taste and smell sensors on their legs/feet and don’t like the “taste” of citronella. The orange oil probably works on the same principle.

kent

posted September 2, 2007 at 3:54 pm

This could be a new theme for you – Scot’s helpful hints for the home.
Do you have any suggestions to make aluminum bright and shiny??

Michael W. Kruse

posted September 2, 2007 at 6:42 pm

Another crisis resolved.
However, I know a couple who has a young adult son still living in their basement. Any home remedies for getting him to scamper on out? :)

Peggy

posted September 2, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Kent,
Ditch the aluminum, dude, it leaches–stainless steel is the way to go! 8)
Michael,
Even if they get him out of the basement, there’s no guarantee that he won’t return…again and again and again ;)

RJS

posted September 2, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Peggy,
It pains me to admit it – but this one I don’t know.

Peggy

posted September 2, 2007 at 9:14 pm

RJS,
I am stunned…especially since one of their various commercials is of the women working in the church–cleaning the wooden pews, the altar, the doors…they, of course, updated the bluegrass banjo/mandolin sound (to the tune of “Turkey in the Straw”) to a little higher church music–maybe organ? LOL
I found these at this a site (after Googleing, of course)
Murphy’s Oil Soap
The lyrics as I remember them: I’ve been using Murphy’s oil soap all through this house of mine, now the dirt is finished but the finish is fine. We’ve been using Murphy’s oil soap on cedar oak and pine, now the dirt is finished, but the finish is fine. Cleans everything, safe as can be, kind to your hands and fresh nat-urally, we’ve been using Murphy’s all the time, now the dirt is finished but the finish is fine.
Murphy’s Oil Soap
The commercial featured some older women that had been cleaning a church for years using Murphy’s Oil Soap.
Murphy’s Oil Soap
Circa early 80s. Commercial opens with a woman and her teenage daughter singing the jingle to the tune of “Turkey in the Straw”: “I’ve been using Murphy’s Oil on this hardwood floor of mine. Now the dirt is finished, but the finish is fine.” Toward the end, the man of the family joins in.

Bill Brunton

posted September 3, 2007 at 12:10 pm

I must hope the best for you. However, when we got rid of our American crickets, the spiders who were their favorite delicacy, emerged as the real victor in this battle for this temporal home.
Best wishes and my your victory be better than ours.
Bill