Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Father’s Day with Laura and Mark

posted by xscot mcknight

Yesterday we got up early and I called my father to wish him a happy father’s day. Kris and I enjoyed a cool hour or so on our screen porch with the birds flitting everywhere, said our prayers, and went to the 9am Willow Creek service with Laura and Mark. Bill Hybels gave a masterful talk about his pride in the fathers of Willow Creek because of their building into the lives of their children — and this departing from the tendency to bring in Chapin’s “Cats ‘n the Cradle” song as the theme of a Father’s Day talk.
We were blessed.
Kris and I then went out for brunch with Laura and Mark in Arlington Heights. They gave me some coffee (Intelligensia — any comments on the coffee?) and a golf shirt. (Which made me say to myself, “It’s about time, big guy, to get away from the books and play your first round of golf this year. And it made me think that a local pastor said he wanted to play this week!)
On our way home from brunch, Lukas called (from North Carolina where he was scouting) to wish me a happy father’s day. We chatted about a variety of topics, not the least of which was the Cubs.
Here’s a picture of Laura and me at the water fountain in Arl. Hts. Beautiful girl, heh?
fathers-day.jpg

John W Frye

posted June 18, 2007 at 6:14 am

New golf shirt. You bet it beckons you to dust the cobwebs off the clubs and hit the links. How about Angel Cabrera winning the US Open one stroke ahead of Tiger? Viva le Argentina!

Scot McKnight

posted June 18, 2007 at 6:19 am

John,
It seems to me that European tour players have “less respect” — that is, they fold less often — for Tiger than Americans. So many, when they see him marching down the fairway, just collapse.
Cabrera hang on, made some crucial drives and good putts, and just played out the course.
Tiger couldn’t make his putts except when he was saving par. That short wedge that he hit to the back of the green in the middle of the back nine damaged his chances I thought.

John W Frye

posted June 18, 2007 at 9:59 am

Was it on 16 where Tiger needed the birdie putt and flubbed it?
I liked Cabrera’s demeaner. He seemed to both be intense about his game, yet he enjoyed himself, too. Tiger seems to be all concentration with little fun.

Scott E.

posted June 18, 2007 at 10:22 am

Cabrera was classic. When was the last time you saw a guy taking time out at a major to grab a smoke? Definitely a memorable US Open.

MIke Mangold

posted June 18, 2007 at 3:26 pm

Scot: thanks to you and Willow Creek for departing from the “Cat’s Cradle” theme of fatherhood. The last Father’s Day service I went to at our previous mega-church was a true slap in the face for those of us who take fatherhood seriously. They had a closed casket up on the stage to represent the “absentee father” and sang dirges lamenting his inability now to be present in his kids’ lives. I just can’t imagine them doing that to the mothers in the congregation on Mother’s Day.

Scot McKnight

posted June 18, 2007 at 3:55 pm

O Mike, to what end?

MIke Mangold

posted June 18, 2007 at 4:27 pm

Scot: intent or actual? I’m not one to imply motives but I think it was to make us fathers feel guilty and therefore change our behaviors.
Actually, Angie and I just walked out.

tatiana

posted June 18, 2007 at 4:57 pm

Wait a second… I went to the 9:00 Willow Creek service too. But I only stayed inside for about fifteen minutes, before I went out and laid in the grass and waited for my parents and my brother to come out.
You might have walked right past me!