Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Weekly Meanderings

posted by xscot mcknight

We’ll be in Sterling Virginia at St. Matthew’s Church with my former students — Rob and Linda Merola — April 14-15.
Shaun Turner’s got a piece worth reading that interacts with Peter Rollins.
A pastor of people’s pastoral letter.
Congrats to Wick! A former student and an erstwhile golf companion. (Ask him if he beat me.)
Two new blogs: Henriet‘s and Tamara‘s.
Ted on trinitarian love.
This summer’s L’Abri event in Oregon July 26-29. (HT: Boomchuck)
If you have ideas on helping women get connected in ministries, I suggest a conversation at Ben Dubow’s blog.
We’re happy to link to those who’d like to have listeners for their recordings … so here’s a song by Mark Heath and his wife.
1. Wikipedia revamped. A new, more reliable version will be named Citizendium.
2. This lady and I have something in common: we both wear Crocs.
3. What … leave Florida for Kentucky?
4. Bob Gundry weighs in on the tomb and bones of Jesus.
5. The Pope affirms heaven and hell.
6. Would Jesus smack children? (In New Zealand especially.)
7. Good post on “mediated discipleship.”
8. The Dusty Cover bookstore — send Jamie your books. I’ve got a box of books sitting in my office to send him. (I’ll get to it Jamie. Sorry.)
9. John Stackhouse on Wilberforce as a leftist.
10. Congrats to Emily Johnson. (And RJ Snell)
Sports:
Brad Grinnen blogs about Dan Shaunessy’s “fake blog” about Curt Schilling’s real blog. To which I add: “he who writes the story controls the glory.”
Both Prior and Wood are down for the count as they recover… but the good news is the news that we’re good enough without them. You really must believe in the resurrection to be a Cubs fan.

Jamie Arpin-Ricci

posted March 31, 2007 at 9:59 am

Thanks for the shout out, Scot! We are getting really excited about the progress with the bookstore.
Peace,
Jamie

Ted Gossard

posted March 31, 2007 at 10:56 am

Thanks Scot for the gracious link as I stuck my toe into a theological reality that is so rich and powerful as well as beckoning us on.
So the Cubs fans are into resurrection and the mystical? It has to be more than just baseball and wanting championships for the fanaticism that Cubs fans seem to possess, or be possessed by!

Matt

posted March 31, 2007 at 11:23 am

I was so relieved to hear Pinella talk before spring training and basically say, “If Wood and Prior play, it’s a bonus. If not, we’ve built a good enough team to win.” So here’s for hoping that Prior gets healthy enough to contribute by mid-season.

Ted Gossard

posted March 31, 2007 at 11:47 am

I guess Cubs fans are maybe the epitome of being fans of a sports team (at least in America). They’ll have to shut down at least part of Chicago if they win a World Series. I’d like to see that. Go Bucks!

Scot McKnight

posted March 31, 2007 at 11:58 am

Ted,
They’d shut down all of Chicago and the burbs.

Ted Gossard

posted March 31, 2007 at 12:46 pm

They didn’t do that with the Sox?

Ted Gossard

posted March 31, 2007 at 1:36 pm

I know Cubs and Sox fans don’t mix.

Scot McKnight

posted March 31, 2007 at 1:53 pm

Now Ted you’re riling my feathers … the Cubs and the Sox don’t even play the same game. Cubs play baseball, Sox play hitball.

Matt

posted March 31, 2007 at 2:07 pm

America may just shut down for an entire day if the Cubs win. Like a National holiday sort of thing. That’s how extraordinary it will be for everyone. Even if you are not a Cubs fan, you care for someone who is, and you will rejoice that their anguish is finally over.

RJS

posted March 31, 2007 at 2:43 pm

Come now Scot – from whence springs this uncharacteristic closed-mindedness?
Having followed the Twins from the days of Bob Allison, Tony Oliva, and Harmon Killebrew … I am struggling with this new perspective.

Scot McKnight

posted March 31, 2007 at 3:14 pm

RJS,
When the pitcher bats — and this is an old conclusion of mine of many years of coaching and watching — it is baseball; when the pitcher doesn’t bat it is hitball. Thank Charley Finley for the change.

Eugene Cho

posted March 31, 2007 at 3:27 pm

scot: here’s my question. what do you think about zambrano? will his era be as mighty ‘low’ as his mouth? who will win the NL cy young?

Scot McKnight

posted March 31, 2007 at 3:31 pm

Eugene,
I think Zambrano is a beast — in a good sense. Strong as a horse and hungry as a bear to pitch and find that glory that pitchers so often chase.
He’s got great velocity and movement; he knows how to compete; he can lead us to the WS but he has to have helping starters. I think we’ve got them.

Eugene Cho

posted March 31, 2007 at 3:46 pm

i’m more of a cubs fan with piniella on board and because of my greg maddux rookie card. i was also a big fan of mark grace during the day. zambrano is a given – although not my choice of the cy young. i think it’ll go to smoltz or oswalt. there seems to be too many pitching ‘x factors’ with the cubs but what do i know. i picked the stanford women’s basketball team to win the women’s championships.

Scot McKnight

posted March 31, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Eugene,
Kris and I are fans of Wiggins at Stanford. Too bad for them.

RJS

posted March 31, 2007 at 4:08 pm

I know – 1973, I remember when the DH was introduced. I’d also abolish inter-league play, the proliferation of play-off teams, domed stadiums, re-establish the traditional strike zone, and reinstate Double Headers as a normal order of business, – but I guess this makes reactionary as well.
Since I control none of this I’ll just enjoy the Twins (and Tigers) and the junior circuit brand of baseball.

Lukas McKnight

posted March 31, 2007 at 7:58 pm

RJS, you know science, so you know the strike zone is a matter of evolution. If you allow pitchers to throw fastballs at the letters and call them strikes, there would be very few hits. The strike zone is as it should be.
As far as the DH, well…

Sean Cannon

posted April 1, 2007 at 2:50 am

Come on, anyone would leave Florida for Kentucky, a.k.a. the land of milk and honey. But I shouldn’t say that, because my immediate surrounding area in the state (Mason County) is UT territory even though we border Ohio. I guess we have Chris Lofton, UT phenom and Mason County native, to thank for that. But I don’t have a dog in this fight because I’m a Buckeye fan, and they will be the Gators THIS time…hopefully.