Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

I don’t know how this works, but…

posted by xscot mcknight

For years I had a stapler (I’ll avoid the name) that was a mess. I had to redo about 75% of my hits. Then I found Paper Pro. I don’t know how it works, but I’ll say this: it worked so well I bought a second one for my office at school. Can’t wait to staple.
Have you got any products for your office that you just can’t wait to tell others about?
home_main_img.jpg
By the way, no, I don’t get a dime for this. (Or for anything else on the blog.) Thought you’d be interested.

RJS

posted February 1, 2007 at 5:21 am

But nothing is done on paper anymore – why do you need a stapler?

Scot McKnight

posted February 1, 2007 at 8:16 am

RJS,
Don’t you get student papers? Or in-class quizzes and exams and sometimes in need of stapling?

Scott Lyons

posted February 1, 2007 at 8:32 am

Thanks for the tip on the stapler – I have atrocious luck with staplers.
Here’s my tip for the cavemen and grade-schoolers among us:
Because I lose every pencil or pen I am able to lay my hands on, I still love using wooden pencils. And Staedtler sharpeners are an essential part of my wooden-pencil repertoire :) – the sharpeners look like the kind you had in grade school that never worked, only they’re metal. And they work perfectly.
Staedtler erasers are excellent as well – no smearing and not a mark left on the page.
I usually carry a sharpener and an eraser in my pocket.

Scot McKnight

posted February 1, 2007 at 8:40 am

This kind of addition to wooden pencils comes out only through fasting and prayer! 8) Actually, my advice is that you not buy a fountain pen until you can hang on to a pencil or pen for a solid year without losing it.

RJS

posted February 1, 2007 at 8:57 am

Ok – there is the occasional student who studiously unstaples his/her exam when taking it. And, I admit, the final proof read of a paper before submission, something I much prefer to do in hard copy. But I doubt I average more than 10 staples a month.

Scott Lyons

posted February 1, 2007 at 9:16 am

I have a horde of small children at home, which contributes to my misplacement of writing instruments. I may have to wait on the fountain pen, or secure a lockbox for my writing supplies.

Jennifer

posted February 1, 2007 at 9:31 am

Scot,
But does it make a good sound when stapeling? A good stapler has to make the right ‘crunch’ sound in order to be really satisfying.

steph

posted February 1, 2007 at 11:06 am

Three hole punches.
Seriously. The small ones are so lame – they get stuck on more than 3 pages.
The mother of all three-hole punches is a dream for any church music director — choir folders, bulletin copies, even choir charts — one push and they’re all punched.
Office Max Deluxe Heavy-Duty 3-hole punch.
The only way to go. It has set me free.
Steph

Scot McKnight

posted February 1, 2007 at 11:54 am

Jennifer,
The amazing thing here: no sound.

theCollegeKid

posted February 1, 2007 at 12:05 pm

I too am a fan of a good stapler.

kent

posted February 1, 2007 at 12:14 pm

I love my electric stapler and my electric hole puncher. Automation is a beautiful thing.

Rich Schmidt

posted February 1, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Thank you! That PaperPro stapler looks amazing. I checked at Staples.com, and it looks like they sell a Staples-branded version of it. I hope they have it in the store, so I can go buy one this week!
I just had to mail off a grant application: about 20 pages, 4 copies, and my wimpy stapler wouldn’t handle them. I tried the electric stapler at a friend’s office, and I had to squeeze and force them in, because they didn’t want to fit.
I’m buying one of these staplers!

Wags

posted February 1, 2007 at 3:00 pm

Aeron Lumbar Chair. Yes, I know it is pricey – but when it became apparent that I was destined to spend many hours sitting at the desk, I figured it would pay for itself in just a few years. It has. I would push in staples by hand, wear wingtips and play with Top Flites before I gave up the Aeron office chair.

greg

posted February 1, 2007 at 3:54 pm

Don’t you wish the solution to all of life’s problems were this simple?

Jennifer

posted February 1, 2007 at 4:06 pm

Scot,
No sound? Really? It could do the best job of putting a staple through paper, and if the right accompanying sound isn’t there, I’m just not interested :-)
It’s hard (impossible, actually) to find a keyboard that makes a good sound anymore.

Maria

posted February 1, 2007 at 4:29 pm

I have the Staples branded version – it is my favorite stapler. (And now it comes in lots of festive colors – I’m probably going to give my grey one to a friend so I have an excuse to buy the cool purple one!)
But if you need the stapler sound, check out http://www.virtualstapler.com.
BTW, this is my favorite blog. I read it daily. Of course right now I am laughing at myself that the first time I feel like I have something to say, it is about staplers! :)

Scot McKnight

posted February 1, 2007 at 4:32 pm

Maria,
These little quirky posts of mine sometimes draw out our finest minds!

My 2 cents

posted February 1, 2007 at 5:06 pm

I have heard that some people still prefer having the sound. It’s a pavlov thing.

Jennifer

posted February 1, 2007 at 7:18 pm

My 2,
LOL…I’m not sure if it’s classical conditioning as much as it is the joyful noise of a job finished. When I’ve slaved over some research paper, the last thing I have to do is staple it together and I just like a little satisfying noise to mark the occasion . Heck, if I could find a stapler that chimed out, “What a great job you did!” I’d buy it :-) I guess the click functions the same way for me. ;-)

Scot McKnight

posted February 1, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Jennifer,
I assure you, the pleasure of a stapler working with a quick, easy, secure staple is more enjoyable than the thump-click-crunch of a stapler that malfunctions, leading to the “doggonit” with a wiggle of the misformed staple now hanging out in indecorous fashion, the potential wrinkling of the paper, the removal of the staple, and then the hope that “Maybe, just maybe, it will work this time.”

Jennifer

posted February 1, 2007 at 7:33 pm

Scot,
But do I really have to choose between a good staple and a good sound. Does it have to be either/or? Can’t I have both/and? :-) :-) :-)

My 2 cents

posted February 1, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Jennifer, we got one of those “That was Easy” buttons for that other feel-good feeling! Now, if it would only say GO BEARS!

TDMiekley

posted February 2, 2007 at 12:20 am

Hey Scot,
This might sound stupid but if you are ever in the market for some good pens… Might I suggest ‘Z-grip’ (med) black ink pens? They are very comfortable and write very well. In general, it is a quick drying pen too. They are not too expensive and can be found in any ‘Staples.’ – Can’t go wrong with a good pen.

John Frye

posted February 2, 2007 at 7:11 am

Jennifer,
I’m with you…there’s nothing like the satisfying sound of the stapler crunch. Here’s an idea–put micro-recordings and speakers in Scot’s stapler and you’ve got “both/and.” I think the stapler purists among us might go for it.
TD Miekley,
Now you’ve gone and done it! By suggesting another pen other than Scot’s favorite, you’ve given him reason once again to evangelize the writing world with the gospel according to Pelican. You are now considered hetrodox at the JESUS CREED. Repent and buy a Pelican!

Scot McKnight

posted February 2, 2007 at 8:06 am

TD — via John Frye — you’ve asked, I must answer:
The easiest way of putting this might be like this:
Had God wanted us to use ball points, he wouldn’t have created fountain pens first.
Simply put: primogeniture.
My advice: don’t use a Pelikan fountain pen or anything close to a ballpoint will be “drawered” permanently.

John Frye

posted February 2, 2007 at 10:53 am

Scot, in sackcloth and ashes I repent of misspelling “Pelikan” as “Pelican.” I am going to crawl the steps of the Spanish Garden.
BTW, Julie bought me a Pelikan for Christmas. I like it.

jinny

posted February 2, 2007 at 8:24 pm

Scot, what about the anti-primogeniture trend in the Pentateuch? :)
My apologetics class wandered off-topic into a discussion of Mary, the Mother of Jesus. I mentioned your book. :) Then I was asked if you were orthodox… :/ TEDS. *shrug*