Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Praying with the Church

posted by xscot mcknight

I want to begin a new tradition for our Saturday blog. I encourage you to post your prayer requests, speak up of your answers to prayers, or simply record some prayers for others. So many have written about such matters of late, that we sense it is something that could be beneficial for many of us.

BeckyR

posted September 30, 2006 at 5:04 am

I’ll start. Yesterday was my first year follow up nuclear gamma ray scan, looking if there was metastasized cancer. No metastases! The drama started 9/05 with an ambulance ride to the ER where finally my humongous dying thyroid was found. Then thyroid cancer. It’s been one hard year, with this complication and that complication, and this side effect and that side effect, and this new growth found and tests and scans, and changing med doses and not having energy or brain when the dose was too low. And dealing with the word “cancer.” I have literally camped out in the recliner for 11 months.
Last week I finally got back up and running, and I hope this is it, no more complications and side effects to have to deal with. My energy and brain are back, and I want to grab life with gusto and live it the best I can. There is one more blood test result I’m waiting on, a marker that picks up the cancer. So, great news with the scan results, but holding breath just a little. I’ve waited all year for this scan, to see if the cancer treatment last year killed the nasty boogers. It did. Feels like I’ve been holding my breath and now I can breathe.
There were many people from many places praying for my family. The mostest miracle has been holding onto Jesus for the most part, when dealing with the fear and anger and stress.
Now, grace supplied as we turn our lives around from the year of crisis mode, to learning just getting on with living life. As hubby has his emotions that have been presurred this last year, and now can let them out and deal with them. It feels like we’ve been in a war zone and we now have shell shock. Now that the intensity is over, we need to stop looking for the bombs that will go off, or twitching at loud sounds. (metaphorically, I think) Time, time; it will come and God will provide advisors to help us through.
I want to shout it here – this man, my hubby, loves me well. He has ministered to me consistently this last year, body, soul, spirit, emotionally. He loves well. And you can’t have him, he’s mine! I love him deeply.

Ryan

posted September 30, 2006 at 8:19 am

Wow Becky,
as a prospective groom your story reminds me of the kind of man and husband I hope to be.
thanks for sharing

Jamie Hollis

posted September 30, 2006 at 8:38 am

Some of my close friends in Kyrgyzstan are pregnant. Actually three couples I am close to are all due within two months of each other and this is a huge blessing! One of the couples is currently experiencing difficulties and have been told they might lose the baby. The medical care in country is quite horrible and they don’t have access to many things that we would find basic in helping out with a pregnancy. Please pray for all of the couples, Kuba and Chinara, Nurmat and Deena, and especially for Chika and Mira as she experiences phsyical difficulties. Pray with us that the doctors might have wisdom and that we might be able to find a way to get so many prenatal vitamins to them.

Ted Gossard

posted September 30, 2006 at 8:45 am

Lord, You are the Giver of life, Healer and Sustainer of us all. We lift up these three couples and pray for a safe, healthy delivery for each. We especially pray for Chika and Mira. May your hand be upon Mira to bring healing to her body and protection to her baby. Bring what is needed through other sources, the doctors, medications, etc., according to your will. Surround them with your hands of love. Through Jesus our Lord, Amen.

Tim Gombis

posted September 30, 2006 at 9:26 am

Indeed, Ted. For Kuba and Chinara, Nurmat and Deena, for Chika and Mira, and for Becky and her husband. Amen.

Scot McKnight

posted September 30, 2006 at 9:33 am

I just talked to Bob Robinson. I’m so grateful he’s already up and awake. Bob has an artificial valve in his heart, and now he said he has to get used to living with a constant “ticking” — like a watch — that never shuts off. He was wide awake and doing well. He’s waiting for his kids to come into the room after the two boys play their flag football game, and he’s expecting the Buckeyes to win today. Lord hear our prayers for Bob.

David

posted September 30, 2006 at 9:43 am

I have read BeckyR’s posts over the last couple of months. You get to know people somewhat here in this little community of people who are trying to figure it out. When I read her post, it shocked me about her condition and then her quote about her hustband…..I started to get a little emotional……and I am a guy. It was very touching. May we all aspire to be men and women of true faith and compassion like her husband.

Nick Mackison

posted September 30, 2006 at 9:50 am

Four weeks ago my wife had her scan as we’re expecting our first child. The doctors told us that there “appeared” to be an amniotic band in the womb. It felt like a sucker punch. We’d been so elated when arriving at the hospital and suddenly we were in the depths.
Some good friends upheld us in prayer the last few weeks and on Tuesday we had a second scan. The midwife told us that there was no amniotic band in the womb and it looks like there never was. She said that there must have been a membrane in the scan which looked like a band.
Whether it was a miracle or whether it was a mistake I don’t care. God taught me to hold on to him. Thank you Lord.

Dana

posted September 30, 2006 at 11:50 am

Hi Scot and Friends: Thank you for this site Scot and for the faith to allow us to pray together and to reach out together, just as Christ inhabits the praise of his people, prayer is so powerful- thank you.
Let us pray:
Father who has given and continues always to give good gifts which come down to us from above, we like children must come to you on the simplest of terms, for we know not so much; and can depend upon You who know all. We life up to You these heartfelt needs and pray for each other, that this day, Your love might transcend our lack of love, that Your heart might fill our heart, and that the majesty of Your truth imprinted upon our souls by the wonder of Your Holy Spirits indwelling testimony to Your powerful truth, might be shared with some lost souls who don’t know what love is. Father we cry out to You because the needs are many, and we are weak, but we trust in Your strength, that as you rose again, in our hearts, You will rule as the author and perfector of our faith. Thank You for faith in our lives, thank You for prayer, and than You for each other. In Christ’s Holy Name we ask it – Amen.

BeckyR

posted September 30, 2006 at 4:26 pm

Dana, mind if I print off your prayer to share with our little church group? It is a good one to pray, just to pray.
I don’t want to downplay other’s who reached out from my story, I am touched by all who show concern and pray.

Michael Mangold, MD

posted September 30, 2006 at 8:21 pm

Jamie: we send medications (and vitamins) and medical equipment around the world. We also have a friend in Kyrgyzstan working with the IMF. We can send your friends the PNV’s if you email me more info on their location, last names, etc. Check out http://www.themedicinecabinet.org.
God bless you and them,
Mike

BeckyR

posted October 1, 2006 at 1:23 am

Maybe I didn’t say it as clearly as needed. I just wanted folks who recognize my postings, that my first year follow up scan shows no cancer. It’s a great relief. If the blood test results I’m waiting on, confirms it, a total relief. Till next year’s scan and blood test.

Doug Wilson

posted October 1, 2006 at 2:50 am

What a wonderful idea, Scot. Thank you! I join my prayers with the others for the needs mentioned above. My prayer request, as I’m preparing to preach tomorrow, is the same I pray every week: “[May]…our gospel come to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction” (1 Thess. 1:5).

Jamie Hollis

posted October 1, 2006 at 6:46 am

What an amazing answer to prayer, Michael. What is your email address so that I can get you the information? Thank you all so much for your prayers. It is amazing to me that community is regularly experienced here when few of us have met face to face. May God’s bless you all.

Odysseus

posted October 1, 2006 at 9:22 am

I have been a lurker for quite a while now (I think I have only posted once or twice) but I love this new tradition. It comes at a most appropriate time.
My mother needs your prayers. She is in ICU on a ventalator. She has blood clots in her lungs as well as fluid. She can’t breathe. She can’t release the toxic CO2. We are not sure if her kidneys are working well. She celebrated her 60th birthday right before she went into the hospital. She has been there for over two weeks.
Please pray that our great God and King, Jesus, will touch her and heal her; that her sickness will turn to health to the testimony and glory of King Jesus. That God our Father, through the power of the Holy Spirit, will fulfill our desires and petitions as may be best for us.
Thank you.

Scot McKnight

posted October 1, 2006 at 10:06 am

On this, the day we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus, may your power be at work and may you hear our prayers.

Michael Mangold

posted October 1, 2006 at 2:00 pm

Jamie: probably the safest email address is mangolddoc@medscape.com. Sometimes Yahoo sends unknown addresses into the junkmail folder so that is not a sure thing.
Odysseus: you and your mom are in our prayers. Keep us up-to-date.
Scot: Amen!
Mike

Dana

posted October 1, 2006 at 9:23 pm

HI BeckyR and folks: Anything out here from Dana is free and usable by everybody. Thanks – be to Jesus who preserves us and carries us when we can’t carry ourselves.

Jadon

posted October 2, 2006 at 5:45 am

Please pray for my friend Tracy as she is really struggling with depression right now. This year has been tough on her, and she’s in the hospital for what is likely a long stay. Thanks.