Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

The Generous Lord of Generous Orthodoxy

posted by xscot mcknight

You just have to be impressed by the number of times in Romans Paul pulls things together with this idea: therefore, “all” who believe (anyone/everyone) in the Messiah will be saved/justified. At times we emphasize the “saved/justified” part, but Wright is keen on emphasizing the “all” part as well.
Notice once again Romans 9:11-13:
No one who believes in the Messiah will be put to shame.
There is no distinction: Jews and Greeks. (All are sinners; Rom 3:23; no one is privileged, not even Jews.)
Same Lord.
Same Lord is generous to all who call on him.
Everyone who calls on the name … will be saved.
There you have it: the message of Romans at deep level is that the gospel is for all and everyone who believes in the Messiah will be saved.
The dynamic of his logic is the universalization of redemption from the covenant people of Israel/Judah to the covenant people of the Messiah.

Kevin

posted August 31, 2006 at 7:59 am

Scot,
How do you understand Romans 11.25ff? It seems to me to be the culmination of the anguish he expresses in Romans 9 and 10, and it sure reads universalistically, and not just w/respect to Israel (All Israel will be saved), but w/respect to everyone (11.32–“God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all”).
I know this is a notoriously difficult section of scripture, and I don’t think I’ve ever read you on this.
Thanks, Scot
Kevin

T

posted August 31, 2006 at 8:05 am

Wow. That’s awesome.

Virgil

posted August 31, 2006 at 8:48 am

Kevin, these are the same questions I have been asking also – it appears that the promise of redemption was made to all mankind (Adam and Eve) and Israel could only stand before God as a type for the universal reconcilliation of “all things” in Christ. Paul does claim later afterall that in Christ all things on heaven and in earth would be reconcile back to God. Not easy to get around the universal language there. While I may have questions about the extent of reconcilliation, I do not have any questions about the extent of God’s love and generosity: as Scot pointed out God loves all, accepts all, and has good news for all.

jim.k

posted August 31, 2006 at 9:53 am

By Wright are you referring to our bishop friend NT?

Nick Mackison

posted August 31, 2006 at 9:55 am

Scot,
I was reading that Wright is not a fan of the NIV and even the new TNIV. Have you any idea what his beef is with these two translations?

Ted Gossard

posted August 31, 2006 at 11:21 am

Nick,
I either heard or read N.T. Wright criticize the NIV as being weak in translating Paul’s letters. Definitely in Romans, from what I gathered. And specifically (for one thing, anyhow) with reference to how they translated sarx, and I think passages in that context (though I may be stretching some in surmising/remembering now).
Douglas Moo, as I recall in his NIV Application Commentary on Romans, said that he was appointed to study sarx to see if he couldn’t come up with a better way of translating it for the TNIV (one of the chief ways of the NIV: “sinful nature” what he was referring to). He discusses the problem there and how he came to settle on remaining with that in Romans passages.
Just a pointer from my memory, and probably not all that relevant to this passage- is my guess.

Scot McKnight

posted August 31, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Kevin,
We’ll get there. But I think it could be all Israel — both in the land and outside the land.

Charles E. Whisnant

posted September 2, 2006 at 4:24 am

Scott
Greetings, this is my first visit to your site. I first read the article “Biblical Model for Seeker Church.” Then read “An Interview with Scot McKingth” by Stephen Shields. I enjoy stretching my thinking.
This article The Generous Lord of Generous Orthodoxy, are you saying that all people universality will be saved?
Charles E. Whisnant