Three voices are groaning at the same time, and if you listen you will hear each. If you listen, you will hear not just a groaning but the groaning pains of a woman in labor trying to give birth. Who is groaning?
1. Creation: “we know the whole creation has been groaning…” (Rom. 8:22).
2. Church: “Not only so, but we ourselves … groan inwardly as we wait eagerly…” (8:23).
3. Spirit: “The Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans…” (8:26).
What is each groaning for?
1. Creation groans for the redemption of Eikons!
2. Church groans for liberation of Eikons!
3. Spirit groans for the liberation of Eikons!
In what sense? When the Eikon is liberated, it will love God, love others, and it will glow the way the Eikon is intended to glow: it will reflect the glory of God.
I’ll look at Romans 8:26-27 more Monday: the Spirit’s groaning.