Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Lucca

posted by xscot mcknight

Yesterday afternoon we visited the Rodeo Drive of the area — Portofino. All we could afford was a cup of Cafe Latte, which to be honest was about as good as they can be made. Dinner last night in Camogli at a place called Primula and we had a nice, long, leisurely dinner on the water.
Kris and I got up pretty early this morning and headed down the A12 to visit Lucca. There is 2.5 mile walk around the city on a high 12th century Romanesque wall — and we really enjoyed the walk. This afternoon we will yet visit a church or two here. Italian villages are constructed around churches. We had lunch at two facing places: Kris had a crepe at one place and I a prosciutto focaccia next door. The proprietors get along, we think, but they don’t permit eating one another’s food at the other’s location.
Gelato question: I try something different often, but my favorite is pistachio; Kris likes amarena (cherry). Tomorrow we will go up to Alba in some wine country, and then Friday return to the Cinque Terra village we missed.
In Lucca we enjoyed a very big piazza that was at one time a Roman amphitheatre. While Kris shopped I read some. There are lots of German tourists here, and it is nice to hear German spoken.

John Frye

posted May 31, 2006 at 7:58 am

“We had lunch at two facing places: Kris had a crepe at one place and I a prosciutto focaccia next door. The proprietors get along, we think, but they don’t permit eating one another’s food at the other’s location.”
Sounds fun! And a pistachio gelato sounds delicious.

Sadler

posted May 31, 2006 at 8:12 am

I must confess that your trip updates are making me very jealous (way to cause a brother to stumble!). Anyway sounds like you are having a great time in Cinque Terra. If in Vernazza, I hihgly recommend the restaurant Capitano. Their own white wine is fabulous and seafood linguini was like nothing I have ever tasted. I am craving it right as we speak. Enjoy youself!

Steve Menshenfriend

posted May 31, 2006 at 8:31 am

I’ve never been to Italy, but I use to live in Seattle where there was a gelato shop just off the waterfront. I love pistachio gelato.

Jamie Arpin-Ricci

posted May 31, 2006 at 9:36 am

Speaking of Portofino, but you read “Portofino” by Frank Schaeffer (Francis’ son)? It is one of three novels that takeplace around that area and are MUST reads. I can’t believe I forgot to recommend them. You will love them.
Peace,
Jamie

theonlypj

posted May 31, 2006 at 10:08 am

Hmmm…I stopped by the gas station for a Borden’s chocolate milk on my way to meet my family at the park.
My family lived in Holland for 5 years while I was in Elementary school and we used to spend summers driving and camping around the Med. Sounds like you are enjoying it!
PJ

Julie

posted May 31, 2006 at 1:15 pm

Lucca! That’s our favorite. Just last summer, we rode bicycles around the city wall twice. We were staying in Viareggio (just 17 KM down the highway). Lucca remains one of our favorite memories from our trip last summer. Such a lovely experience – a contained city that charms.
I love reading your updates. It brings it all back. I really miss Italy.
Julie

paisley

posted May 31, 2006 at 4:48 pm

They don’t have food courts in Italy?

carol Showalter

posted June 5, 2006 at 7:32 pm

Hey Scot
What a great time we have had with Tony Jones!! Very, very special!
By the way my husband and 9 other clergy will be arriving in Rome tomorrow morning!! Too bad you are back in Chicago.
And yes I am here working to pay for his trip!!
Blessings