Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Praying with the Church

posted by xscot mcknight

Here’s the cover to a little book I’ve written that will come out early next summer. It is written with the hope that more of us will join the millions who pray at set hours with set prayers — as Jesus did.
Cover:Praying with the Church cover

Pat

posted December 1, 2005 at 1:47 am

ooooh, can’t wait. this looks like a good topic to hear your voice on, Scot.

Michael Mangold

posted December 1, 2005 at 1:59 am

That’s really interesting, Scot, since Jesus was a great Jew and praying “at set hours with set prayers” was pretty much a conditioned reflex for him. If my walk with Jesus means doing as he did, it will be intriguing to read your insight about this. I’m now understanding this idea that transformation involves getting the law written onto my heart so that what the Pharisees told others they HAD to do is now what I WANT to do.
Mike (amateur theologian)

Ted Gossard,

posted December 1, 2005 at 7:20 am

Scot, look forward to it very much. I don’t understand the subject well, especially as far as practicing it goes. But certainly we need to do certain things regularly aside from our feelings or other matters.
I’d like to sneak this question in here. At my parent’s church in Ohio we heard a message in which the pastor mentioned how following the church calendar has helped him immensely over the years. Very interesting. (He’s a Mennonite pastor in his early 60′s I’d guess who minds me a heck of alot of Eugene Peterson- Philip Clemens by name).

Renee

posted December 1, 2005 at 10:10 am

Scot, the cover looks great! I am excited about this one coming out! Any more news from Lil?

Gloria

posted December 1, 2005 at 10:58 am

Where do we Pre-Order? Can’t wait.

Karen Spears Zacharias

posted December 1, 2005 at 11:04 am

Very appealing cover.

Duane Young

posted December 1, 2005 at 11:25 am

Would tight-rope walking be easier? I think you are among only a few who might pull this off–encouraging routine without falling into legalism. I assume you will address those readers who are always tempted toward the latter. Like “Jesus Creed” and “Embracing Grace” I look forward to this book and its read–especailly of me. Praying for you and this endeavor.

Mark Perry

posted December 1, 2005 at 2:55 pm

“Do you find anything similar in your experience as far as the church calendar- how Sundays are marked and Scripture readings with them? What’s your take on that?”
Ted, I have recently started using The Divine Hours by Phyllis Tickle which lists the fixed hour prayers for each day of the year. Not having grown up in that kind of tradition or even attending a church that practices it, I have absolutley LOVED it. I find praying fixed hour prayers has helped me throughout the day to develop having the mind of Christ. I highly recommend it!

ted gossard

posted December 1, 2005 at 3:06 pm

Thanks Mark. I’ll have to check out that book. Maybe get my own copy of it.

Scot McKnight

posted December 1, 2005 at 6:46 pm

Mark,
I think the new book by Robert Webber, Ancient-Future Time, is a good indication of how the Church calendar can help us in spiritual formation.
Our church doesn’t celebrate the Calendar — except Christmas and Easter, of course.
But, I use the prayer books, and they keep me in touch constantly with “where we are” in the calendar. I write a bit about this in Praying with the Church.

Greg Corricello

posted December 2, 2005 at 6:53 pm

Great cover! I’ll be sure to pre-order my copy! I love your style and your content in your books, Scot. The academic ones seem to be a little over my head, but I am devouring The Jesus Creed right now and have purchased Embracing Grace.

Anonymous

posted December 3, 2005 at 10:04 am

Jesus Creed » Prayer Books?

[...] Back to the post on set prayers at set times — some good experiences there. I’m wondering if you have used The Liturgy of the Hours, any other Roman Catholic prayer book, an Orthodox prayer book, or the Book of Common Prayer and want “to tell your story.” (Actually, I’m looking for “call outs” in my prayer book and a short paragraph is just the thing. I’ll ask you directly for permission if I use your story.) [...]

Trevin Wax

posted December 3, 2005 at 4:18 pm

Can’t wait for this one, Scot! It looks fantastic. I’ve been using a book called The Rhythm of Life: Daily Celtic Prayer by David Adam. The prayers in that little book are great.

tk

posted December 6, 2005 at 3:17 pm

Scot,
The book looks interesting. Will this invite and help people use traditional liturgy of hours (like on universalis.com) or is it itself a book of prayers?

Scot McKnight

posted December 6, 2005 at 3:50 pm

Invite and introduce, TK, but not a set of prayers.

tk

posted December 6, 2005 at 7:55 pm

Then, I’m really excited, and want to sign up for a copy with a private introduction! =D I try to help people give the Liturgy of Hours a chance, but all the ribbons scare them off!

Scot McKnight

posted December 6, 2005 at 10:01 pm

TK,
Have you seen The Divine Office for Dodos? Great book — it took me about 3 hours with that book to figure out the Liturgy of the Hours. Did the whole thing recenty for a month — nice to see all those Lukan canticles.