Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

32 —> and counting

posted by xscot mcknight

32 years ago today, wearing a bright red tuxedo and decked out with a full head of hair, I waited at the front of our church’s sanctuary while my beautiful bride, Kris, marched down the middle aisle and there we were married. We grew up together, were grade school sweethearts, junior high sweethearts, high school sweethearts, and went off to college together and by Christmas of my sophomore year we were married. We honeymooned in Mexico (where we’ll be going next weekend), and have been best friends ever since.
I love her with all my heart.
What do I admire most about Kris, besides the fact that she has loved me for forever? Besides that she is wonderful in every way? Perhaps in Kris I find a person who beautifully embodies sympathy for others and seems always to see the good in others. No one, and I mean no one, is more naturally inclined to be a psychologist than Kris.
She’s a wonderful friend, reader of my books, keeper of the house, and mother, and I could go on…
I’ll be cooking a special dinner tonight, which she doesn’t know about, and we’ll probably take our normal walk and have a normal evening — which is just how we like it.

Darryl

posted December 22, 2005 at 6:53 am

Congratulations! Although I have to say that only a crazy person gets married so close to Christmas. It’s our 15th anniversary today so I know. ;)

Ted Gossard

posted December 22, 2005 at 7:01 am

Scot, Congratulations! You are truly blessed.
I can bless the Lord for my wife Deb, who is truly a wonderful companion/partner and blessing from God.
Great to hear you’re going to have a nice get-away.

Kris

posted December 22, 2005 at 7:05 am

Hmm, I’ll be looking forward to that special dinner! I love you too!

Michael Pahl

posted December 22, 2005 at 7:19 am

Congratulations! Have a terrific day!

Duane Young

posted December 22, 2005 at 7:49 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!!–to both of you. (Blogging is not given to keeping secrets!?!?–What is whispered in secret gets shouted from the rooftop!)

Ben

posted December 22, 2005 at 8:03 am

Congratulations! The Lord bless you and keep you both.
Ben

Dave Anderson

posted December 22, 2005 at 8:53 am

Scot,
Congratulations to you both! We just celebrated 9 years yesterday…
Ah, the advantages of a Christmas-time wedding…. We capitalized on the already decorated church to save money at the time. What I stuggle with the most, is anniversary gifts that could possibly serve a ‘dual’ role given the season… Has that ever entered into your mind? Just curious.

Scot McKnight

posted December 22, 2005 at 8:55 am

Dave,
The wedding expenses were reduced for us, too.
On gifts… we’ve never done much for gifts for our anniversary. I got Kris some flowers, so last night when she came home, they were in the middle of the dining room table.

Dave Anderson

posted December 22, 2005 at 9:05 am

On Gifts: we don’t do much either. I always figure “4 days from now, she’ll be in hog heaven”.
On the flowers: You are truly an inspiration too some of us men ;)
Dave

Bald Man

posted December 22, 2005 at 9:15 am

Congrats… though it seems the cat might be out of the bag on your dinner surprise.

John Byron

posted December 22, 2005 at 9:30 am

Scot,
Congrats to you both! I was only six years old when you tied the knot! He He He!

Will

posted December 22, 2005 at 9:40 am

Congrats, and Happy Anniversary!
I want to see a picture of that red tuxedo!

Georges Boujakly

posted December 22, 2005 at 9:46 am

Scot,
It takes a real man to have loved and married one woman only for life. She must be some lady and you’re the man.
May the Lord bless you and keep you. May he continue to m
take his face shine upon you and give you peace.
Mabrouk! (Arabic for congrats, and cognate of barakah, blessing)

Jamie Arpin-Ricci

posted December 22, 2005 at 10:36 am

Scot & Kris,
May God be with you and bless you.
May you see your children’s children.
May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.
Peace,
Jamie

Broken Messenger

posted December 22, 2005 at 11:59 am

32 years ago today, wearing a bright red tuxedo…
Scot congratulations, but a RED tuxedo?! A R-E-D tuxedo?! Wow. ;o)
Oh, what do I know of it? 32 years ago today I was a week away from celebrating my first birthday, so consider the source.
Brad

Greg McRitchie

posted December 22, 2005 at 12:26 pm

Congrats Scot. I’m not far behind you at 27 next week. So were you in the RCMP or something :)

Trevin Wax

posted December 22, 2005 at 12:46 pm

Congratulations, Scot. Corina and I just celebrated our 3rd anniversary yesterday. There’s nothing like a Christmas wedding.

Wayne Leman

posted December 22, 2005 at 5:46 pm

I add my congratulations to those of all the other posers, Scot. (Were I not to do so, I would be an im-poster!)
My wife and I did a Chritmas time wedding, also. It worked out for siblings and families have to travel long distances, with college breaks, etc. We’ll celebrate #33 on Dec. 27. I, too, had a full head of hair then. Now I have the “blessing” that it takes far less time for my hairs (count them!!) to dry after a shower than it did 33 years ago.

Scot McKnight

posted December 22, 2005 at 5:53 pm

My barber today said, rather nonchalantly, “You want me just to shave off the stubble on top?” I said, “Go ahead. Who cares?”

Dana Ames

posted December 22, 2005 at 6:20 pm

Ah yes, the ’70s and colored tuxedos. Hey, if you guys liked it, it was ok.
God bless you both. Have a great day today and a great time in Mexico.
Dana

Karen Spears Zacharias

posted December 22, 2005 at 8:30 pm

Scot:
Congratulations to you both! Love that red tux! I can’t say I know of anyone else who ever wore a red one. Ashley has a good time making fun of her father for his baby blue one. (He wore a pink ruffled shirt with it; his idea, not mine.)
That’s why I believe basic black is safest. Timeless.
I hope Ashley and Zack can look back 32 years from now and be thankful for the intimacy they share.
Merry Christmas & Happy Anniversary.

Scot McKnight

posted December 22, 2005 at 8:48 pm

We just want to give a big “group hug” for all these best wishes. Many thanks.
I made stuff peppers, bruschetta, salad, and stuffed zuchinni. Went for a walk. Great day.
On the red tux — well, lots of us have a story to tell about what we wore, and we can be mighty grateful those days are over. Tim Zacharias wearing a baby blue with a pink shirt tops my get-up.

Scot McKnight

posted December 22, 2005 at 8:50 pm

Jamie,
Thanks for the blessing. Is that yours or First Nation or?

Mom and Dad

posted December 22, 2005 at 9:25 pm

Cute pix. Congrats for being an ideal couple to many others.