Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Real men cook

posted by xscot mcknight

It took me 28 years to figure out I could help Kris in the kitchen. I am now the cook in our home, and I have plenty of years of work ahead of me to even the score. I admit, I love it. Last night on our way home from church we stopped at Panera’s for some dinner just before we did grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s — my favorite grocery store. We had (at Panera’s) Cuban Black Bean soup — and Kris suggested I figure out how to make it.
So, last night I searched a bit on the internet, found a recipe, and today our home has been filled since about noon with the aromas of black beans, some lentils, and a bundle of spices and veggies.
Kris never really enjoyed cooking and I never thought it was my role and she wanted our kids to eat something healthy and on time so it worked out in our family history that I was useless in the kitchen. One day it dawned on me that I could help out and that men can cook other than with grills or outdoors.
Now Kris shops and then plans the meals and gets things out in the morning. She says, “We’ll have salmon tonight.” It is mine to figure out the rest — I love it. So, I got into cooking … I’ll be sharing some recipes over time.
Risotto, I must admit, is my favorite meal to cook.

Jamie Arpin-Ricci

posted November 13, 2005 at 6:28 pm

Scot,
I too am taking the lions share of cooking at home, though I need to boost me confidence. As tentative house-husband whhen we have kids, I should get on it. I look forward to the recipes.
Peace,
Jamie

Scot McKnight

posted November 13, 2005 at 7:35 pm

Our Black Bean Soup tonight, set up in a bread bowl from Panera’s, was just what we were looking for.

Dana Ames

posted November 13, 2005 at 7:44 pm

Good for you both, Scot and Jamie!
Scot, surely somewhere in your family tree there is an Italian connection? If not, the designation of Honorary Italian should be conferred upon you. You have all the best instincts for it.
Tanti auguri-
Dana

Scot McKnight

posted November 13, 2005 at 7:49 pm

Dana,
To make something you only need Italian olive oil, Italian wine, plenty of porcinis, and tomatoes.
But it is the evening sun settling behind the Umbrian hills that turns it up a notch.
If they’d only open those ristorantes before 7:30pm!

Dana Ames

posted November 13, 2005 at 8:27 pm

Certamente!
D.

Bob

posted November 13, 2005 at 8:53 pm

I was visiting a friend in DC and he fixed up some awesome salmon. It had a spice rub that was awesome. He emailed me the recipe, enjoy:
FIVE-SPICE CHILE TEA RUB
by Ming Tsai (from Simply Ming)
Makes about 6 cups
Lasts 3 weeks, refrigerated
(for what it’s worth, the we have kept this
frozen for longer; I suppose the purist chef would say
you may lose some flavor, but I still think it is
quite delicious even so.)
3 cups lapsang souchong tea leaves (any leaves will
work, including basic green tea leaves)
1/2 cup sea salt or kosher salt
1/2 cup red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chipotle chile powder
1/2 cup dehydrated garlic or regular garlic powder
(not garlic salt)
1/4 cup cayenne pepper
1/4 cup dried chives or onions
1/4 cup five-spice powder (can be found in the Asian
section of most grocery stores)
Combine all ingredients together. Use or store.
Salmon takes beautifully to tea rub, as do all fatty
fish.
1. Spread the rub on a large plate and coat the salmon
(skinless) in it liberally (both sides).
2. Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. Add a couple
teaspoons of vegetable oil and swirl to coat the pan.
Add the salmon and sauté, turning once, until the
salmon is cooked, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium.

Scot McKnight

posted November 13, 2005 at 8:56 pm

Bob,
Will definitely make this.

the Foolish Sage

posted November 13, 2005 at 9:15 pm

I knew there was a reason I had to add this site to my feeds when I first saw it a month ago! Somehow I intuitively knew that you were a Paneras & Trader Joe’s man.
Trader Joe’s has been one of our best discoveries since coming to Philly for seminary. It keeps me supplied in lots of convenience food I can take for lunches that is both healthy and super-cheap. My wife and I just came from there and are now cooking their turkey roast stuffed with apple cranberry stuffing down its middle.

John Mark

posted November 13, 2005 at 10:10 pm

I’ve found http://www.allrecipes.com and http://www.epicurious.com very helpful in my cooking escapades. they allow you search by ingredients and all that jazz. epicurious is more high-brow.

sonja

posted November 13, 2005 at 10:35 pm

This is very cool. My husband recently acknowledged that he loves to cook dinner. We’ve more or less shared this responsibility for the last several years, but I think he’s going to take it over now. Mostly because like you he really enjoys it … I used to enjoy it, but now it’s a burden. So … we’re swapping out for a while. Enjoy the journey!!

Cam

posted November 14, 2005 at 4:05 am

Real men CAN cook, but a lot don’t (same goes with exfoliating). I do both — though not at the same time. It is a firmly held theological conviction of mine to make the most of life, and enjoy the best of the food that God has made. And, while eating (especially certain foods) must be done in moderation, living MUSTN’T. So, if a man can enjoy life without cooking or exfoliating, God bless him!

Cam

posted November 14, 2005 at 4:06 am

So, after blogging about coffee, and then food, I suppose only JAZZ remains. Scot, don’t disappoint my expectations of your tastes in music.

ted gossard

posted November 14, 2005 at 8:03 am

My wife is into all of this vegan mumbo jumbo. Though it really is pretty good. We do cheat off of that sometimes.
She seems to think, and has said that the kitchen is her domain. My mother thought the same way.
Maybe you could post a theology to back up the fact that real men cook. Like Jacob (and Esau, for that matter). Jesus broiled the fish on the seashore.

Scot McKnight

posted November 14, 2005 at 8:52 am

Presently in my CD player in the car is Vivaldi.

Doug Wilson

posted November 14, 2005 at 2:24 pm

Scot:
What a disappointment. A “CD player” in your car? You are a Mac user — you need an iPod!
-Doug
P.S. My iPod has a lot of audio books, lectures and messages on it, to my kids amusement — including two messages from Scot McKnight on “Jesus Creed” and one on “It Takes a Lifetime to Love”!

tatiana

posted November 14, 2005 at 3:51 pm

Black beans AND lentils? Sounds like a vegetarian’s dream come true…

Scot McKnight

posted November 14, 2005 at 4:09 pm

Tatiana,
Did I mention the ham?

Lukas McKnight

posted November 14, 2005 at 4:14 pm

Sorry to disappoint- Scot is both iPod and jazz illiterate. Recently in a time of family fellowship, I tried to put on some Wynton Marsalis on my iPod; he begged to turn the jazz of and put on some Beach Boys!

Clay Knick

posted November 15, 2005 at 10:36 am

I hope my wife does not see this!!! :)
I’m enjoying “Embracing Grace.”