Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Books: Christmas Suggestions

posted by xscot mcknight

I thought I’d offer some book suggestions at the beginning of December for those of you who are wondering about books to buy someone (or yourself) for Christmas. Again, buy something for yourself for I have often bought myself a present (usually a fountain pen) and wrapped it up secretly, placed it quietly where no one can see it under the tree, and then waited for someone to find a gift marked “To Scot from Scot.” Well, here are my recommendations:
Preface: Editor of the year goes to John Wilson, at Books and Culture. They don’t come any better than John, and I’m glad to know him. I wish I could sit and chat weekly with him.
New Testament studies: N.T. Wright, Paul in Fresh Perspective (Fortress) — it can’t be accidental that Tom uses “fresh” instead of “new” and thereby sets himself over against some of the new perspective folks.
Old Testament Studies: (Be warned: I’m behind, way behind, in my OT studies.) T. Longman, How to Read Genesis (IVP)
Christian Spirituality: E. Peterson, Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places (Eerdmans)
Theology: K. Vanhoozer, The Drama of Doctrine (WJKP) and J. Franke, The Character of Theology (Baker)
Emerging Movement/Church/Conversation: E. Gibbs, R.K. Bolger, Emerging Church: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures (Baker)
Ministry: John Burke, No Perfect People Allowed (Zondervan)
Memoir: Karen Spears Zacharias, Hero Mama (Morrow)
Biography: A. Hollingsworth, The Simple Life of Mr. Rogers (Integrity)
Reference books: Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books (IVP) and K. Vanhoozer and some others, Dictionary for Theological Interpretation of the Bible (Baker)
Essays: A. Jacobs, Shaming the Devil (Eerdmans)
Education: (I’m a sucker for books on education.) Jacobsen and Jacobsen, Scholarship and the Christian Faith (Oxford — 2004, but I got it in 2005).
Novel: M. Robinson, Gilead (FSG) [Most years I couldn’t recommend a novel because I would not have read one, but I liked this one.]
Kris just read this list and can’t understand why I didn’t put Embracing Grace and my others on the list. My answer: I posted on books I read not ones I wrote.

Ted Gossard,

posted November 28, 2005 at 9:53 am

I am going through “Embracing Grace: A Gospel for All of Us” again. Am getting more from it this time as I’m reading it slowly and thoughtfully. A great book. I’ll be recommending it and possibly giving it as well.

Jamie Arpin-Ricci

posted November 28, 2005 at 11:36 am

I’m with Ted. Second time through Embracing Grace and deeply moved by it. Since teaching in Vancouver, I know a half dozen people who are going to order it, as well as a trans-national book ministry who is going to make it available!
Peace,
Jamie

Mark Perry

posted November 28, 2005 at 1:42 pm

I would add for both NT and post-modern topics, Colossians Remixed by Brian Walsh and Sylvia Keesmaat. I know it came out in 2004, but given the recent discussion on the role of scripture to believers, this book challenges the believer on many levels.

Clay Knick

posted November 28, 2005 at 3:33 pm

I agree, John Wilson is excellent.
I think B&C is a great journal. I
love it.
Thanks for the list! I’ll get a few of
these and put them under the tree to me!
Great idea.

Shawn

posted November 28, 2005 at 5:36 pm

I have just finished reading Gilead myself and strongly recommend it. I’m giving it to my father in law this Christmas.

Todd

posted November 28, 2005 at 7:01 pm

Thanks for the list Scot – it is hard to keep up on the literature and I am always looking for people to help point me in good directions. I have added many of these to my wish list – so we will see if Santa has me as an Amazon favorite. BTW – You can tell Kris that you had several wonderful articles in the Dictionary of Theological Interpretation of the Bible (which were excellent).

Georges Boujakly

posted November 28, 2005 at 7:20 pm

Scot,
I would like to see more of your critique of Christ Plays… You started a review sometime ago and I am waiting for the rest.

Chuck Ragland

posted November 28, 2005 at 10:13 pm

any fountain pen recommendations?

Dan Reid

posted November 28, 2005 at 10:55 pm

Scot, while we’d be happy to claim it, the Vanhoozer dictionary is Baker and not IVP. But thanks for the plug for the DOTHB!

Bob Robinson

posted November 29, 2005 at 7:46 pm

Speaking of NT Wright, tops on my Christmas wish-list is his new book, The Last Word: Beyond the Bible Wars to a New Understanding of the Authority of Scripture.

JACK

posted December 14, 2005 at 2:41 pm

If you are a sucker for books on education, you should take a look at Luigi Giussani’s “The Risk of Education”.