Jesus Creed

Jesus Creed

Why Baseball is Superior to Football

posted by xscot mcknight

I don’t know your reasons, but for me the #1 reason baseball is superior is…
1. Marching bands!
And the second is this:
2. Marching bands at halftime!
You have to ask what they have to do with football at all. Nothing, so far as I can see, but they are everywhere, like ugliness on gorillas.
I think that is from Tom Boswell. What are your reasons for thinking baseball is superior? We’ll have to postpone any discussion of why football is superior.

Dave Anderson

posted September 15, 2005 at 3:51 pm

My reason is because the players are older, slower, and earn more $$… I can relate to that (except the last part of course).

Randy McRoberts

posted September 15, 2005 at 4:17 pm

A baseball fan can keep score on a scorecard and have a one-page record of everything that happened. Just pulling out an old scorecard can take you right back to the game.
A football scorecard would be impossible for a singe fan to keep during the game.

Dan Whitmarsh

posted September 15, 2005 at 4:19 pm

I’ve always thought baseball is superior to all major sports (in the U.S., anyway) because it’s the one game not controlled by a clock. In a world where we manage our schedules down to the minute (and some of our worship services to the second), baseball is a refreshing place where time stands still. The game doesn’t end when the clock says it is over; it ends when the last out is recorded. Thus players triumph over the tyranny of kronos. For the 2-4 hours I sit in the stands, I can forget the sweeping second hand, and simply soak up the perenial moment.
Even if my beloved Mariners are, once again, sinking like the mighty Titanic.

john alan turner

posted September 15, 2005 at 5:44 pm

I believe that certain truths are simply self-evident.

Ephrem Christopher Walborn

posted September 15, 2005 at 6:08 pm

Seems to me that time stands still for both sports. We enter the eternal moment… an utterly diabolical eternal moment.

Stacey Littlefield

posted September 15, 2005 at 6:11 pm

Baseball is far more poetic than football. There is a grace to it that only works in football when you show replays in slow motion. And all that hitting and colliding of bodies just cannot compare to the elegance of swinging, cracking bat against ball, the sound of the ball whopping into a glove or, of course, the chewing and spitting. Baseball is also superior in how it unfolds play by play; you can actually follow the whole play as it takes place – pitch, hit, run, catch, throw, catch, safe or out. In football (and, it seems, basketball too) there is too much happening all at once. I can only watch one thing happening in the midst of many. Too confusing.

ed cook

posted September 15, 2005 at 6:49 pm

Baseball: boring. Football: not boring. Basketball: exciting.
Basketball wins.

Mike Bird

posted September 16, 2005 at 4:08 am

Scot,
You need to discover the glorious sport of cricket! Especially the limited overs game.

Chris Tilling

posted September 16, 2005 at 5:55 am

Poor Englishman sits reading Scots blog’s about American Baseball with his arms crossed feeling ostracised (World??? league!!! Oh the joys of being post-colonial). You desperately need to post more on cricket, football or some other commonwealth game.

Scot McKnight

posted September 16, 2005 at 7:53 am

Mike,
Discover it? I love it. Watched lots of cricket in England; and also rugger. Never did, however, get that crazy wild game called Aussie Rules!
Chris,
Hey, I mentioned Ian Botham — England (Somerset, I think) was in love with him in the 80s, and my son learned to play baseball by playing cricket in our garden.

Matt Judkins

posted September 16, 2005 at 11:42 am

Baseball is superior because it is typologically represents life! Long periods of inactivity (trust me, if you ever played right field in little league you know what I’m talking about) followed by moments of crisis (yikes, the ball really is coming to me!).
It also is superior because in baseball practices are emphasized – any 5’6″ little leaguer can make the big leagues with enough dedication to fielding, batting practice, and knowledge of the game (see Mark Lemke). This is a tremendous validation of Alisdair MacIntyre’s vision of “practices,” thus making baseball superior. In football, we just see giants and supernaturally talented genetic men pounding on one another!
Further, baseball is superior because it values scrappiness – see Kirk Gibson and Pete Rose’s (sans gambling) careers! :-D
MJ

Jinny

posted September 16, 2005 at 7:27 pm

FYI, Americans call football soccer. Football to an American means the field marked off by 10 yard lines, with 11 big men on each side, end zones, helmets, trash-talking, a funny looking ball, and those unique goal posts without nets. Soccer players who don’t make the teams in the US get hired as field goal or punt kickers for those teams. Aren’t we weird?

Michael Lee

posted September 16, 2005 at 11:46 pm

We watched a game of Aussie rules football while in Melbourne, a traditional rivalry called the Anzac’s Day game. The number of things that aren’t fouls in that game is astounding! We watched a player run up another players back to grab the ball … no foul.