The Jazz Theologian

The Jazz Theologian

I like these people… (p4)–Dinner with McCain

posted by Robert Gelinas

Well, I've set the table and I'm looking forward to dining with John McCain–the sailor turned senator.

Mccain
My questions for the evening would be…

• Tell me about your first fight?  McCain is a fighter. Last November his campaign was all but over and yet he fought back and is the last man standing for his party.  This kind of grittiness was honed in the military but my guess is that it began in the schoolyard.
  • How has your brokenness made you a better man?  He has faced death, been a prisoner of war, divorced and defeated.  Some people seek to fortify their weaknesses and others realize that they are frail in need of a greater strength that they do not have.
  • What has adoption taught you about your relationship with God?  McCain adopted the two children of his first wife and, in his second marriage, adopted a child from India. Adoption is one of the clearest expressions of what our Heavenly Father has done for us.  So I wonder if McCain has allowed the spirit to speak to him about this.
  • What do your friends call you?  As a sailor, I'm sure he picked up a lot of nicknames…Johnny Boy…Mac Daddy…Sidney…(his middle name is Sidney…Maybe that's how his first fight started!
What do you think and what questions would you have?

Cory

posted October 31, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Did you ever give up hope that you’d leave the POW camp alive or did you cling to certainty that you’d get out eventually? And, what did you do with your thoughts and your mind during your captivity to keep from going crazy from the boredom?

Cory

posted October 31, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I should clarify – boredom in between the torture – I was meaning the stretches of time between.

weaver

posted October 31, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I think a question I would ask of all 4 would be: what do you see when you look into a mirror with no makeup on, hair not combed, with no one else around, no one to preen for? Do you see yourself as lacking, as less than whole, or do you see a well-loved child of God–with faults, but still loved?
that would be a beginning for me.

Marcus Goodyear

posted October 31, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Like weaver, I have a question for all four of them: Why in the world do you want to be president?

orrin

posted November 1, 2008 at 8:50 am

I love this series and the questions you have. Media always talks about policy but these are very important questions that actually allow you to see the actual person. Thank you.

Carol

posted November 1, 2008 at 10:18 pm

I, too, have loved these questions. Like Orrin, I love that they help me to think about the person beyond the politics. I also love that you started out by reminding us that each of these folks is a precious and much-loved child of the Most High King. That seems to get forgotten in all of the political uproar!

Rebecca J. Schaefer

posted November 3, 2008 at 5:09 pm

What stirs the greatest excitement in you, as you think of tomorrow, tonight 11-3? What generates the most good/bad fear? To whom will you and your spouse carry your victories in this election, and process the “if I had it to do all over agains” with?

Rebecca J. Schaefer

posted November 3, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I’d ask John McCain what he thinks Jesus (from a human man stand point), most loved about sailing in deep water. I’d ask Jesus…what’s really under the sea, that draws men and women to explore the other side?

Collinus Hutt

posted November 3, 2008 at 8:08 pm

I would ask him what it was like to be a POW. I would also ask him what really got him through it all. I know he has already said this, but I want an honest answer. I would also like to know what his greatest disappointments in life have been….he is an incredible man.

Philo

posted July 2, 2009 at 5:46 pm

that doesn’t even make any sense!.
I am from Venezuela and also now am reading in English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “On july th, I purchased sergeant gold flea tick treatment from wal mart to treat a beginning flea issue with my month old chihuahua weezy.Learn the ways to control fleas and to keep your dog free from flea bites.”
Best regards :D, Lawanda.

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting The Jazz Theologian page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Red Letters with Tom Davis Recent prayer post on Prayables Most Recent Inspiration blog post Happy Reading!

posted 9:08:40am Feb. 14, 2012 | read full post »

Celebrating National Adoption Month
November is National Adoption Month.  God is up to something.  The Bride of Christ is waking up all across this nation to the need to care for orphans through adoption and foster care. James 1.27 makes it clear that to be Christian is to care for orphans, "Religion that god our Father accepts a

posted 1:42:26pm Nov. 11, 2011 | read full post »

Sermon of the Week: Your Lot in Life (P6)
This book just keeps getting better! [vimeo]http://vimeo.com/31323811[/vimeo]

posted 3:00:02pm Nov. 05, 2011 | read full post »

Guest Blogger: Patricia Raybon
A Ghost? Or Our God?   By Patricia Raybon It’s dark, cold and early. But I’m excited. On this morning, the most important thing I have to do is hear from God. And not just a little bit. I want to hear without limits. Isn’t that what we’re all saying today? That we want to be blessed by

posted 6:00:00am Oct. 31, 2011 | read full post »

Sermon of the Week: Your Lot in Life (P5)
Good News:  Pure Motives Are Not Required Before We Serve In The Kingdom of God! [vimeo]http://vimeo.com/30383671[/vimeo]

posted 3:56:39pm Oct. 28, 2011 | read full post »