Deepak Chopra and Intent

Deepak Chopra and Intent

The Gospel According to Fox News

posted by dchopra

It’s mysterious how swiftly a society can collectively change its mind. As rapidly as the financial markets crashed, so has Fox News’s credibility. What was gospel to an entire segment of voters and viewers just a few months ago has become a desperate flapping in the wind. Some may view this as part of the swing cycle that politics is heir to. But from the Reagan era forward, certain truths were held to be self-evident, and far from inventing anything, Fox News simply put the high gloss of mass media on them.
If you tune in to Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, or the network’s humbler toilers in the vineyard, their tactics haven’t changed. They must be shocked to find themselves stranded, all the more because it seemed to happen overnight.
In the spirit of Emerson’s dictum that evil is the absence of good, it’s worth recalling where good was absent just a year ago. Here are the working beliefs of the Fox News credo.
Article 1: The worst aspects of human nature are actually cherished freedoms.
This is Fox News’s main rallying cry. Hating minorities, despising gays, ridiculing women’s rights, and slandering the ACLU all fall under the rubric of precious liberties.
Article 2: God loves gun owners.
Fox News rabidly seizes the high ground when it comes to law and order, an issue that is seen primarily as a loaded gun under every pillow and a triple-bolted front door.
Article 3: Patriotism is the last refuge of ratings wars.
Here the old axiom that patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels has been updated (but by no means abandoned). Every Fox News commentator earns his battle scars by wrapping himself in the bloody flag, without ever personally endangering his own skin, of course.
Article 4: Ideology is way better than thinking.
Pre-chewed ideas are more easily digested than actual thinking. But ideology goes one better by answering every doubt in advance. Thus Fox News is never in doubt. Truth is as automatic as a gum ball machine.
Article 5: The mind’s primary use is for bellowing.
I advise any prospective guest on Fox News to demand that there be no shouting. This immediately decouples the mind of O’Reilly and Hannity. Their most basic assumption is that any guest, once shouted down, has lost the debate. (I tested this gambit out personally and can vouch for its effectiveness.)
Article 6: Shamelessness is next to godliness.
In other words, you can sin at leisure as long as you keep pointing out other people’s sins. Long a tactic enshrined in the Book of Hypocrisy, Fox News has turned holier-than-thou into a moneymaker.
Article 7: Don’t bother me with the facts. My mind is already closed.
This is really just a corollary to the belief in ideology, but it deserves its own chapter and verse because of the ironical light it casts on the Fox News logo, “Fair and balanced.”
Article 8: The little guy is always mad.
On the whole, Fox News tries to make the little guy feel that he is always right and those pointy-headed educated elitists always wrong. But sometimes the little guy proves tricky, as when he doesn’t like Republican deficits and foreign wars. Luckily, Fox News always has a fallback — the little guy is always blistered about something, and a little kerosene is a marvelous accelerant, as they say in arson investigations.
Article 9: “They” are about to get you — watch out!
The bulk of Fox News’s sanctimony rests on its pledge to look out for everyday working Joes. Since there is no record of the network actually protecting something realistic like clean air, freedom from assault weapons, and safety in the workplace, what is really being safeguarded is the right to be freaking paranoid every minute of the day.
Article 10: If I just said it, it must be right.
Here, as in several other places, Fox News is indistinguishable from a drunken frat party where not only is bellowing a sign of intelligence, but never backing down, however cockeyed your last statement may be, shows that you are a man.
I am not a communicant in this particular creed, so I’m sure I’ve left out some key passages in the gospel. For full knowledge one would have to delve deep into the Old Testament of Fox News (i.e., the minutes of the John Birch Society 1958-date). Daily viewing will keep one abreast of new anathemas (i.e., socialism) and potential saviors (Sarah Palin). Or you could take the easy way out and celebrate the waning of Fox News’s belief system and the cleaner air left behind.
See related articles on: Fox News, Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, Sarah Palin
Deepak Chopra on Intent.com

Kathy

posted April 21, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Sure, Fox News is little more than the punchline to a sad, bad joke, but is MSNBC their “liberal” equivalent? Are they just as bad? I’m not sure how I feel about occasionally watching Keith Olbermann, should I feel bad? Hmmmmmmm……………Where does one go for “objective” news? Is there even such a thing?

granitepaw

posted April 21, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Boy do you have it wrong. The Fox network outdistances all the other networks in all categories. Bill O’Reilly has been number one for 100 months. Fox has more viewers than NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN and MSNBC combined, in fact more than double the sum .
AS I recall Mr. Choprah, you were on the Factor several months and looked like the fool that you are, so I can understand why you would write this pitiful article. You are the one who said that the US is responsible for terrorism and being nicer to the terrorists would make things better. Your credibility is less than zero.

Dianne4Dees

posted April 21, 2009 at 11:31 pm

To disagree with you, but FoxNews is the only source I trust for my news. At least they report the news…………they don’t attempt to make the news. A good case in point was that horrid CNN reporter, Susan Rosegens, who was “reporting”, to use the term loosely, from a large Tea Party last Wednesday. If one didn’t know better, you would have assumed she was an Obama employee, not a reporter. I hear she’s now on vacation, poor thing!! All of the points you attempt to make against FoxNews in your article are precisely how millions of us feel about CNN, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, ABC. Have you checked the ratings lately?

Gary

posted April 22, 2009 at 1:24 am

Depak, you are just sore at Fox News because you got your butt handed to you there for being an Anti-American loon!
I guess you hate the Wall Street Journal as well? They also call it like they see it.
Fox News has more viewers at any hour of any day than MSNBC, Headline News and CNN combined! People who want the real news, go to Fox. All the rest are just house organs of the democrat party.
You sir have no credibility whatsoever. Just another liberal, America hating loon.

Gary

posted April 22, 2009 at 1:26 am

Oops, forgot. Here’s the link to the WSJ exposing you for what you are:

Stacy

posted April 22, 2009 at 2:27 am

Wow.
You know Deepak, I never took you for an ideologue before. I guess I thought you were just one of those people that didn’t judge others.
Guess I was wrong on that one. A friend of mine gave me a book of yours once, and I don’t quite remember such a divisive tone from you. Perhaps your were just selling books to everyone.
Well I’m one of those knuckle dragging, FOX News watching, Sarah Palin admiring Barbarians. I tend to do my own thinking and the Gospel I follow is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Good luck with all of your “Spiritual Well Being” seminars. Hopefully none of the people that give you thousands of dollars for breathing lessons are FOX viewers.
Oh, one last thing…you said This is Fox News’s main rallying cry. Hating minorities”.
That is a lie and you know it.
Your credibility is gone because you just destroyed it.

Visitor

posted April 22, 2009 at 4:36 am

It’s really funny the way Fox fans always resort to quoting ratings when you try to engage them on the actual merits of Fox’s offerings. Kids in HS used to cling together in cliques to feel secure and let other people do their thinking for them. An attack on Fox is an attack on the clique. You must not be one of the cool kids, Mr. Chopra!

Deana

posted April 22, 2009 at 8:30 am

I’ve always felt that conservatives deserve respect even if I don’t agree with them and can’t see where they’re coming from. However, the events since the Obama election have shown their true colors and they are a nasty, brutal bunch. I’m not sure how I can get back to “tolerating” their viewpoint after seeing some of their tactics these last few months. I’m not just talking the Fox News crew — you can expect nonsense from them. I’m talking the real live people who happen to be conservative. They’re becoming so unbearable that when they calm down, I will still remember how ugly they were.

Denise Thorbjornsen

posted April 22, 2009 at 8:42 am

It would seem to me that most news channels now adays have a biast slant to their reporting.At least Fox News reports the facts.The only exception,the presidential race,where all the news casters were biased for Barrack Obama.I didn’t vote for him,and I’m glad I didn’t.He signed into law our tax dollars for foreign countries to use for abortion.Next will be gay marriage.Sodom and Gommorah were destroyed by God for this.Jesus will be coming back with the holy angels to bind the wicked.If you promote gay rights ,your wicked.God hates homosexuality.Leviticus18;22Also Romans.These are warnings from God himself to repent,turn away from homosexual lifestyle.We will be judged by God as anation if we advance any wickedness.Stop promoting what God hates.

budcath

posted April 22, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I think some of the post’s here have proved your point, Deepak.

Calis

posted April 22, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Deana-
You’re right in you belief about respecting views, and Fox news shouldn’t change that. You just don’t have to respect belligerence and spite.
@Denise
I believe in a God of love, compassion, and understanding. I doubt I’ll suffer because I strive to live by those principles.

Frank Anglia

posted April 22, 2009 at 3:06 pm

>> Don’t bother me with the facts. My mind is already closed.
The little guy is always mad.

Your Name

posted April 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm

It’s so funny now that conservatives have started to protest, liberals find this behavior so intolerable. Conservatives nasty? I think someone needs to look in the mirror to see nasty belligerence and spite. As conservatives continue to speak out, liberals loud, inane outbursts are becoming comical, yet shameful. Conservatives have been silent long enough. Obama has woke the sleeping dragon, and if liberals can not stand to hear an opposing view point, that’s their tough luck. They need to get use to it because conservatives are just warming up. Fifty one percent of the population viewed the tea paties as favorable, while 15 % had no opinion. That’s a pretty good start. This article is total rubbish. Are you denying the FACT that OReilly is the #1 rated show? I’ve seen Chropa on there making a fool of himself more that once.

Is a Mind-Element Needed to Interpret Quantum Mechanics? Do physically undetermined choices enter into the evolution of the physical universe? Part 2
By Deepak Chopra, MD and Henry Stapp, PhD The time is ripe for a theory of cosmic mind to be seen by all scientists, not as a speculative notion that conflicts with basic scientific principles, but as a necessary part of a rational science-based understanding of ourselves and nature. The earlie

posted 11:10:54am Jul. 21, 2014 | read full post »

By Deepak Chopra, MD and Henry Stapp, PhD Pick at random any TV show about the universe, and the visuals will be dominated by a black void sprinkled with billions of galaxies. Such images give the impression of a vast emptiness foreign to human existence. Our bodies would perish within minutes

posted 11:14:45am Jul. 14, 2014 | read full post »

Skepticism and a Million Dollar Challenge (Part 2)
When I made a video offering a million dollars to anyone who could explain how the brain produces the appearance of the three-dimensional world, I didn't have a publicity stunt in mind. I wanted to draw attention to consciousness research, which has been burgeoning. The public isn’t aware of how b

posted 10:44:25am Jul. 07, 2014 | read full post »

Getting Zombies Excited (It Takes a Million-Dollar Challenge)
In science, problems get solved faster when the pot begins to boil. Dormant questions need motivation, which is why I posed a million-dollar challenge to anyone in the materialist camp who could demonstrate how matter turns into mind. (Please see the two preceding posts, which set up this provocativ

posted 11:04:55am Jun. 30, 2014 | read full post »

Skepticism and a Million Dollar Challenge
When public perception is skewed and distorted, it's important to push back. I've found myself doing this in the arena of skepticism. Without a doubt we live in a skeptical age, and it affects everyone. To doubt is a tool for finding truth, but like every positive value, there are pitfalls. Skeptici

posted 1:51:41pm Jun. 23, 2014 | read full post »