Inspiration Report

Inspiration Report

People Who Do Good: The Adventures of Coach Crawford

posted by Jennifer E. Jones

In March, I proudly started a series on people who go the extra mile to inspire and enrich the community around them. First, we met Shari Grimes and the work she does for the Hope House, then we met a few lovely young ladies at the Focus Institute who challenged each other to go without make-up for nearly a month. This month, meet Jordan Crawford and his wife Tiffany.

Jordan Crawford is hard to miss. At 6’7″, he towers over the students as he walks down the hallways of Granby High School in Norfolk, Virginia. He is a special ed teacher and track coach for this urban public school. In what some consider a challenging educational environment, Crawford stands out for his kindness and his belief that nobody gets left behind.

Considering that teaching wasn’t Jordan’s first choice (his degree is in Accounting), he’s been at the school for six years, developing a rapport with his students and his athletes. When asked why he’s stuck with it for so long, he answers, “I guess I’m just an underdog fan. Unfortunately, the special ed kids sometimes get brushed aside. I don’t know that I’m a great teacher, but I try to forge relationships with the kids. They know I’m there looking out for them.”

One of the reasons Jordan enjoys working with the youth is because he understands that in urban schools, positive male influences are in high demand. “A lot of the kids come from single-parent homes. Moms are working to make things happen and trying to keep their heads above water. So they’re involved, but not as influential as they’d like to be. Especially for the guys’ side, they’re lacking for quality role models. [They need] somebody who has honest conversations with them.”

His track team boasts 90 students, far larger than most; however, Jordan doesn’t believe in cutting kids. “It’s such a cool thing to belong,” he says. “I don’t care if it takes you a half an hour to run a mile. Get out there and be a part of it.

“You have the same thing in the special ed department,” he continues. “They’re going to get picked on and made fun of. I do whatever I can, even if it’s just me talking to them in the hallway because someone else thinks I’m a cool teacher. It’s the little stuff that makes that kid’s day. If I can play that part, I’m all for it.”

Jordan and his wife Tiffany have an open door policy at their home that’s just a few minutes from the school. Students and athletes in troubled situations have found the Crawford house to be a refuge during rough times. Tiffany adds, “We tell the kids if they’re not safe, they’re more than welcomed to come here.”

He has many stories of students that he’s offered help to, even when they are no longer in his care at school. For example, Jordan keeps up with former students whose lives took a wrong turn and they’ve wound up in jail. Of the success stories, Jordan and Tiffany have taken students to college preview weekends to give them a fighting chance at a better life.

“My role is bigger than teaching and track,” Jordan says. “[It's about] making an impact on their next step and for them to see what a husband’s supposed to be, what a father’s supposed to be or just a contributing member of society.”

So, what drives the Crawfords to go above and beyond the call?

“It’s spreading Christ’s love and letting the kids see that,” Jordan says. “It’s real application. It’s not just, ‘Let me show you the Roman Road,’ and then walk away. The kids ask, ‘Why are you doing this?’ It’s not about the money. We’re fine. You get to share Christ with the kids in a real way… in a way that they’re seeing it and not just hearing it. We’ve had kids comes to church with us. We have kids that are Christians on the team, and we have a lot of conversations about how that’s supposed to look.”

Tiffany adds, “We believe we’re called to a life of service. We’re here to love people and serve them, and that’s what we’ve chosen to do. We don’t believe in having a spiritual life and a secular life. It’s one life. You live your Christianity through that. We want to show our children that this is what it’s about.”

When asked what life lesson he carries with him through all of his teaching and coaching experiences, Jordan says readily, “Don’t give up on anybody. Don’t give up on any one kid because they don’t do well in class or don’t show up to practice. My goal in the classroom and on the track is: don’t let anyone fall through the cracks.”

Pingback: Inspiring Photo: Beautiful Light! : : : Parenting Bookmark - Where Parents and Experts Share Advice

Pat Hurley

posted June 6, 2012 at 8:34 am

HI, I just stumbled across this wonderful article and wanted to say a Big thank you not only for writing it and making it available to everyone but for giving “the good guys” some press. The news is sooo negative, both in the paper and on tv..for some that’s all they see and hear…this is the type of story that should be made avail to everyone through those medias…thank you.

Mary

posted June 6, 2012 at 9:39 am

I just wanted say thank you for such an inspiring story. I believe there are heavenly angels sent to earth to help guide and teach other people through their times of need. It doesn’t matter how big or how small the person is if they have a positive effect on those around them.

Pingback: Beliefnet Blogger Gabrielle Bernstein Gets Engaged (and a Few Thoughts on Letting Go) : : : Parenting Bookmark - Where Parents and Experts Share Advice

Basketball Sneakers

posted August 11, 2012 at 4:05 am

Nice posting, I like the way how you express yourself. Keep up the good work.

Bulls Snapback

posted September 25, 2012 at 7:57 pm

31 Day fay Loss cure

posted October 19, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I thinnk what you poksted made a lot of sense.
But, think on this, suppose you wwre to create a killer
title? I ain’t suggesting your content is not good., however suppose you added a title that makes people want more?
I mean People Who Do Good: The Adventures of Coach Crawford – Inspiration Report is kinda vanilla.
You might look at Yahoo’s front page aand note how they write news titles to
get people too click. Yoou might add a video or a picture or
two to get people interested about everything’ve got to say.

In my opinion, it would bring your posts a little livelier.

how to lose belly fat

posted December 8, 2013 at 10:09 am

Hello to all, it’s actually a nice for me to pay a quick visit this site, it consists of important
Information.

Shanel

posted December 9, 2013 at 11:51 pm

excellent put up, very informative. I ponder wwhy the opposite experts of this
sector don’t realize this. You should continue your writing.
I’m sure, you’ve a huge readers’ bqse already!

www.pinterest.com

posted March 12, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Hello, you used to write wonderful, but the last several posts have been kinda boring¡K I miss your super writings.
Past few posts are just a little out of track!
come on!

Poem: In The End
Today’s guest blogger is poet Tara Sophia Mohr Learn more about Tara’s poetry

posted 4:30:02pm Oct. 24, 2012 | read full post »

A Quote to Live By
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." Henry David Thoreau Whatever you were put on this earth to do, do it today. Don't delay. Don't look back. Run like crazy towards your passion and watch God lay the adventure out before you.

posted 9:22:40am Aug. 01, 2012 | read full post »

People Who Do Good: A Cake that Makes a Difference
Our "People Who Do Good" series has been a blast and I've enjoyed highlighting the stories and lives of everyday heroes. This one comes to us from writer Rebecca Brittingham who traveled to Florida to find a cake-maker with a heart for the less fortunate. When most people hear the word art, they

posted 12:10:27am Jul. 30, 2012 | read full post »

The Problem with Pain
I’ve heard people say, “How do I get over something if it still hurts?” And yes, forgiveness is key, whether it’s aimed towards yourself or someone else. However, it’s not really the main issue. What people really want to know is, “How do I deal with the pain?” The problem with pain

posted 11:06:30am Jul. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Oprah and Marianne Williamson on Super Soul Sunday
Photo Credit: OWN / George Burns We have a number of bloggers and writers here who have been inspired  by the writings of Marianne Williamson. Her debut book, A Return to Love, reflected A Course in Miracles for a new generation. She first gained notoriety by an appearance on the Oprah show, and

posted 4:53:44pm Jul. 26, 2012 | read full post »