Inspiration Report

Inspiration Report

4 Simple Ways to Make Someone Smile

posted by Jennifer E. Jones

Today is World Smile Day. Back in 1963, a Massachusetts artist named Harvey Ball designed the original smiley face and it remains an iconic image of happiness and good will towards others.

Having a smile is not as important as giving one away and that’s the spirit of World Smile Day. It reminds us of random acts of kindness and the power that each of us has to brighten someone else’s day.

So, in honor of World Smile Day, here are a few simple ways to make someone smile.

1. Lend a helping hand. It can be as major as helping a neighbor move into their new home or mowing the lawn of the single mother a few doors down. Do something nice for someone else who could use a little help from a friend.

2. Be chivalrous. This is for ladies and men. Hold open an elevator door for someone a few paces behind you. Pull out chairs. I think this generation should bring back chivalry and make politeness the standard again.

3. Send a card. We’ve forgotten how to do some things with all this new technology. Everyone likes to receive mail that’s not bills or junk. Buy a “thinking of you” card and send it to someone unsuspecting.

4. Cook a meal. I’m big into this one. If I cook for you, it means I care. The preparation of food is an act of love and kindness. Bake a cake from scratch and invite people over for dessert.

What are some others? Post a comment below and share more simple ways to make someone smile.

Sandhya

posted October 7, 2011 at 1:16 am

Help carry the shopping bags when u see a person has too many to unload from the car.

BRENDA

posted October 7, 2011 at 1:34 am

Ladies….men like it when you leave the door open for them too if you’re walking in first….

kindness knows no gender….

Angela

posted October 7, 2011 at 8:57 am

call someone and say I was just thinking of you. I love you!

laverne

posted October 7, 2011 at 9:14 am

Smile when you speak and the will go with someone all day

Mariana

posted October 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

Let someone with few items in line at the supermarket go ahead of you.

Gene

posted October 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

It’s easier than that. A sincere smile almost always gets one in return!

Bill Peterson

posted October 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm

As Johann Kasper Lavater once said: “There are many kinds of smiles, each having a distinct character. Some announce goodness & sweetness, others betray sarcasm, bitterness & pride; some soften the countenance by their languishing tenderness,
others brighten by their spiritual vivacity!”

norma booker

posted October 7, 2011 at 1:23 pm

take a friend for treatment.

Lorraine

posted October 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Just smile and say hi, this will light up anyones world.
I believe

BamaBob Yates

posted October 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Just smile yourself & maybe be so bold to tell others: “you are loved” & ESPECIALLY do this if it’s someone from the ACLU…….

Ruth

posted October 7, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Put a note in your child’s lunchbox saying simply, Always remember, you are loved.

PAULINE MOSS

posted October 8, 2011 at 2:57 am

GET UP AND GIVE YOUR SWEETHEART A REFILL ON HIS DRINK AT A PIZZA PALOR

VISIT YOUR MOM OR GRANDMOTHER

IF YOU WANT TO STAY UP LATE AND YOUR HUSBAND IS SLEEPING – KEEP IT QUIET

Christine

posted October 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Tell someone they look pretty when they do. Sincere compliments costs nothing and can light up a persons day.

Dee

posted October 8, 2011 at 10:24 pm

U know how u c “work for food people” at intersections? I always think it’s a rip-off. Well today I reached in the grocery bag in my car and handed the man a box of cereal. He seemed grateful.

Gisele Phillips

posted October 9, 2011 at 12:51 am

I am going to share this with my Sunday School class. I am looking foreward to finding out how many ways they come up with that you have not listed. Thanks! Gisele

Gisele Phillips

posted October 9, 2011 at 12:55 am

When you see someone who seems sad, walk up to them and tell them Jesus loves them. It will make theri day!!!

William Quinn Powers

posted October 9, 2011 at 7:38 am

Smile yourself at anyone and everyone whom you pass and in return you will receive many smiles back!

Rosa

posted October 9, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Sending cards of goodwill is a big one for me. I love it. Most of the recipients at one point or another always let me know that the cards arrive at a much needed time.

alan

posted October 10, 2011 at 10:46 am

phone a friend, neighbor or relative

Corrine Nugent-Hayes

posted October 10, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Do any random act of kindness for any living thing whether it be a person, animal, plant or whatever just because you can. MITAKUYE OYASIN – WE ARE ALL CONNECTED & WE ARE ALL RELATED.

Va

posted October 11, 2011 at 11:06 am

When I’m feeling money stress I drive to work in one of my daughter’s tiaras. I pretend for the 45 minute drive to work, that I am of royalty, I’ve given security the slip, and I’m on my way to mix with the public. What I found is that at stop lights people will look over and smile, then I smile, then before the light changes….we’re all laughing. This little $1.00 tiara goes a long way.
God Bless.

how to lose weight in a week fast

posted December 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I don’t even know how I finished up here, however I believed this post was once great. I don’t understand who you might be but certainly you’re going to a well-known blogger in case you aren’t already. Cheers!

Life Inspiring Guidance

posted October 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Here are some great reasons to smile! http://lifeinspiringguidance.com/a-reason-to-smile/

mRya4K6C

posted July 23, 2013 at 2:12 am

290493 843275I was trying to locate this. Actually refreshing take on the details. Thanks a whole lot. 448473

click here for recent info

posted July 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm

186102 591918I like the way you conduct your posts. Have a nice Thursday! 805645

Poem: In The End
Today’s guest blogger is poet Tara Sophia Mohr Learn more about Tara’s poetry

posted 4:30:02pm Oct. 24, 2012 | read full post »

A Quote to Live By
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." Henry David Thoreau Whatever you were put on this earth to do, do it today. Don't delay. Don't look back. Run like crazy towards your passion and watch God lay the adventure out before you.

posted 9:22:40am Aug. 01, 2012 | read full post »

People Who Do Good: A Cake that Makes a Difference
Our "People Who Do Good" series has been a blast and I've enjoyed highlighting the stories and lives of everyday heroes. This one comes to us from writer Rebecca Brittingham who traveled to Florida to find a cake-maker with a heart for the less fortunate. When most people hear the word art, they

posted 12:10:27am Jul. 30, 2012 | read full post »

The Problem with Pain
I’ve heard people say, “How do I get over something if it still hurts?” And yes, forgiveness is key, whether it’s aimed towards yourself or someone else. However, it’s not really the main issue. What people really want to know is, “How do I deal with the pain?” The problem with pain

posted 11:06:30am Jul. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Oprah and Marianne Williamson on Super Soul Sunday
Photo Credit: OWN / George Burns We have a number of bloggers and writers here who have been inspired  by the writings of Marianne Williamson. Her debut book, A Return to Love, reflected A Course in Miracles for a new generation. She first gained notoriety by an appearance on the Oprah show, and

posted 4:53:44pm Jul. 26, 2012 | read full post »