Inspiration Report

Inspiration Report

Be Brave for One Minute

posted by Jennifer E. Jones

“If only for today, I am not afraid.” Berlin

The last few blogs have been about following your dreams and doing big things with your life. We’ve talked about bucket lists and examined the life of adventurer John Goddard. So, now let’s talk about you. What’s holding you back? What is standing between you and your dreams?

It’s probably a combination of things – finances, time, talent, resources, etc. Excuses abound and they’re all understandable. However, it’s important to break those road blocks down piece by piece, and it all starts with one minute.

You have to take the first step, and most of the time, you don’t take that step because of fear. You’re afraid of failing. You’re afraid of succeeding and having to keep up the momentum of that success. You’re afraid of looking foolish or raising above your peers.

I hate being afraid. I don’t even like the feeling of anxiety, and it’s caused me to miss out on things I really wanted to do. But not any more. Today, whenever I see my goal tucked behind the big monster of fear, I tell myself, “All I need to do is not be afraid for one minute.”

Courage is like a wave. Catching it takes some effort, but once you’re on, you can ride it. That one minute where you take a deep breath and go for it may be all you need to overcome your fears and do something magical with your life.

So, what do you need to be brave about? Practice being fearless for one minute, and see what you can do.

Brian

posted August 16, 2011 at 8:27 am

Sometimes I feel like I am struggling to tread water in my current reality let alone swim for the “shore of my dreams”. I see many of my own defects like “people-pleasing”, not taking advice, and living beyond my means and the way these hinder me but find them so hard to overcome. This leads then to sense of hopelessness….why try? Sometimes the courage that is needed is to brave the sense of discomfort that comes from living outside the comfort zone.

Cindy

posted August 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I need to practice being brave in meetings and social settings. I am simply much more comfortable one on one – but I need to get out of my shell to truly succeed and live life fully. Speaking of being brave for one minute – what I have found that works for me when I find myself in large meetings or uncomfortable social settings is to raise my hand and be the first to take part in comments or questions. If I take that first step right away and don’t allow myself the time to ruminate over whether or not my thoughts are valid, silly, etc., then I am able to fully participate in the remainder of the meeting or party. Works like a charm. I encourage all socially anxious people to give it a try.

Brenda

posted August 16, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I am so stuck in a web of disgust.
I feel like my life efforts and all
accomplishments have come and is adding
up to a big fat ZERO. I just feel what
is it all about, and where and what is
the meaning. You live abust to end it
by having NO value, what the hell?????

Lota

posted August 16, 2011 at 3:34 pm

You are right . Jumping over the fear is the hurdle, and it reaches up to pull you down again and again

Kathy

posted August 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm

This message really speaks to what I am going through right now.
I recently lost my job and have been feeling less than my usually self. I must saying having to look for a job has caused me a bit of anxiety. At times I’ve feltless than optimist about my future.
Reading this messagethis morning has made me feel optimist and hopeful things will be okay.
Kathy

S. Lemacks

posted August 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Im 51 now and have been living alone in Az. for the last two yrs. Iv given all my life and now I find myself alone without very much. Good job and make descent money but when not at work there is no-one. Just emptyness. My sister of 49 has less than a year to live with cancer and my mom in a nursing hoem probably the same. Youngest sis and me will be all thats left and they all live in Daytona my home town…Guess what Im getting at is…what do I dream for or even live for at this time in my life?..Just so much emptyness and lonleyness and cant pull out and wish for anything..I have nothing to give..Just my heart..and thats broke. Anywords of wisdom..?..I put a mask on everyday and go to work..then go home to emptyness..:(…S.

S. Lemacks

posted August 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm

@ Brenda…I know the feeling..But I guess we just hang on and hope..what for I dont know but I do believe there is a reason and one day we’ll understand..Hang in there..:)..S.

Sharyn Shubert

posted August 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I need to read this every day.

ANN

posted August 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm

i’m 56 and alone.worked all my life till i got so sick i couldn’t anymore. in just a few yrs. time, i lost my health, myjob, my independence. then i lost my husband of 17 yrs. had car crash jan 27,2010 and lost my last bit of independence i had left. can’t buy a decent car on disability. so i just sit home waiting, and waiting. but i don’t know what i’m waiting for.maybe soon my day will come when i will be back in control of my life, but where do i start.

Liz

posted August 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I feel that what is holdong me back from my dream and everything is myself and my fear. The fear of failing, fear of letting down everyone that believes in me, and fear of myself.
This message makes me want to take the chance and be brave at leat for one minute to see what the outcome might be. Up for the challenge… :0

June

posted August 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I found this article very helpful. It’s so easy to let fear stand in the way of your dreams. Who culdn’t use a minute of calm?
Thank you so much!

Diana

posted August 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I’M 56 YEARS OLD, NO JOB LIVE WITH ONE OF MY GIRLS AND HUSBAND KIDS IT’S A BLESSING BUT I WOULD LOVE MYSELF TIME AND IT SEEMS THAT WHEN I’M GETTING SOMEWHERE I JUST SINK IN MORE IN A HOLE LIKE AN OSTRICH. I WOULD LIKE A PARTNER, JOB WHICH ARE HARD TO COME BY, CAR,MY OWN HOME EVEN IF IT’S A LITTLE PLACE BUT MINE.HAD A JOB, BUT A MISS UNDER STANDING MADE ME WALK OFF WENT BACK TO DISCUSS SITUATION BUT NO UNDERSTANDING I THOUGHT THERE WAS A DISCRIMINATION MATTER, SO I HAVE EXCEPTED THIS BUT I FEEL VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THE STORE MANAGER WHEN HE GIVES OPPORTUNITY TO OTHERS AND HE COULD NOT GIVE ME ONE, THAT’S WHERE I SAY DISCRIMINATION TOTAL AND FAVORITISM, NOW DO YOU THINK IT’S FAIR?

Beth

posted August 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Outsourcing is standing between me and my dreams!!!

PAULINE MOSS

posted August 16, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I WAS ASKED TO TRAIN FOR CONDUCTOR/BRAKEMEN ON THE RAILROAD I WAS EMPLOYED AT. I WAS ALREADY THE FIRST WOMEN FRIEGHT AGENT AT THE RAIROAD AND HAD HELD THAT POSITION 17 YEARS. BEING OUTSIDE WITH THE GUYS ON A MORE PHYSICAL JOB WAS A REAL CHALLENG. I ROSE TO THE OCCASION WITH A RAPID HEART BEAT AND SWEATY HANDS ON MY MAIDEN VOYAGE. AT THE END OF THE FIRST TRAIN TRIP ALONE I HAD A GRIN ON MY FACE A MILE WIDE AND SAID TO MYSELF “YES, I DID IT” I HELD THE JOB FOR TWO YEARS THEN RETIRED

Linda

posted August 16, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I am a 63 year old retired woman and let me just say that I can relate to your pain. I also have been fearful many times during my lifetime but since becoming a Christian, I have a real purpose in life. There were so many times in my life, even though I am married, felt so alone. You see, we are all here for a purpose. Not our own purpose, but the Lord’s purpose. It was not until I gave my life to Jesus Christ that I realized I had nothing to fear …he is in control and is faithful in all things.

Shanesha W.

posted August 16, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Please keep your head up even if it is just above water. I am 27 years old and thought my life was over when I had my car accident and broke my leg. I was in a wheel chair right after my surgery to repair the damage and the surgon said he just saved my leg. When I returned back to work my coworkers were so proud of me wheelchair and all I was depressed at home I had to return to work that was my sanity. Just keep pushing forward and you will inspire people you didn’t think were watching.

SDM

posted August 16, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I am so ready to do something different. Tired of the same oh same oh. The thing is I don’t know what I am afraid of. It’s time for me to make a move, I am not getting any younger.

Jane

posted August 16, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I am 54 years old. I have lost 16 family members in the passed 13 years. Amongst the 16 included my son’s father commiting suicide, a boyfriend murdered, my mother, my father, lots of aunts, uncles, cousins and recently my 25 year old son ( my one and only) has been diagnosed with a mental illness. I will tell you ladies and gentlemen that I am ok. I have made plenty of mistakes and haven’t had the best coping skills but I have a good job, am getting educated with regard to my son’s illness, have a sweet little home, three loving dogs. It is just my son and I. I do not have a mate but I’m ok with that. I love people and try to make them feel special. I still like to laugh and have fun. I have some inherited disease from Mother…narrow angle glaucoma and osteoporosis. I’ve been told by the ortho doc that my back and my knees are like a 70 year old. Oh well is what I say. Of course I have my depressing days but what has always helped me is my Mother’s teachings. Things happen for reason unknown, hold your head up, face your fears, learn from your mistakes and most of all God is with you!

AJ

posted August 17, 2011 at 10:13 am

Read this too late. I resigned from my job last week because I was simply scared that I didn’t have the know-how or skills to do a technical job I had led people to think I could.

Aretha

posted August 17, 2011 at 10:17 am

Responding to Jane & Linda’s blog, Wow you both have spoken such encouraging words in allowing God to guide you through your lives.Thanks for being a true witness for others. Continue to Be Blessed!

mary

posted August 17, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I had 8 kids taken from me and then the cps worker came and took my daughter.I got my daughter back because the case was investagated and found out that my kids were stolen from me not taken.I knew it all along but no one would listen to me.Finally the truth came out because of the investagation.I was told to sue the state and the penal code was violated to.Another worker came and took my daughter out of my home because my other kids were taken and she has no knowledge of the investagation that was taken.I went to court and it was the same refferee that terminated my rights for my other kids and he didn’t know about the investagation either and terminated my right for my daughter.I never recieved any summons or letter to appear otherwise i would have went to everyone of them.I need help to sue the state and get my daughter back and i was told i can get my triplets back to because they are under aged.I seen 3 of my older kids 2 of them moved back home for a while and i need an attorney that would work on contigentcy for me.I miss my kids so much and i know it was god because i prayed for god to bring the truth out so me my daughter and all of my kids can move forward with are lives and he did.I had no knowledge of my rights being termanated or any court dates and i want my daughter back.I am a very good mother to my kids and i taught them well.They are very respectful,possitive,honest,loving,kind ect.

stephanie brubaker

posted August 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm

i like this article my example for not being scared for 1 min is at amusment park waiting in line to get to the ride u keep going high and higher. say this pharse till i make it up on the main ride platform lol. I hate heights lol.