Inspiration Report

Inspiration Report

Why Your Dad Is the Best

posted by Jennifer E. Jones

A few days ago I asked you to brag about your dad. And boy, did you brag! More than 100 comments full of touching stories and life lessons from your fathers. You all have been blessed to have such amazing men in your life. Here are a few that were truly extraordinary:

(The following have been edited for your reading pleasure… to see all the comments in full go to Brag About Your Dad).

Karen: He was also gifted in humor, quick with a quip or ready to play an innocent practical joke on us, which always delighted us. He always tried to see the best in everyone and taught us to do the same; anyone who came in contact with him would always come away happier and inspired by him. Even when his heart disease and emphysema caused him to be hospitalized often, he always tried to cheer up other patients and the nurses on his floor. He hardly ever complained but instead tried to make light of his situation especially when we were around.

Theresa: No matter how busy he was he always took time to listen. He taught me to be proud of who I am and never to look down on anyone. He was very patient and loving. I never heard my father say anything bad about anybody. I still treasure the moments of sitting by his feet listening to his stories. He will always be my Hero.

Sheri: You’ve heard the Brad Paisley song, “The Dad He Didn’t Have to Be”? Well, that was my dad. Not my birth-father, but this amazing man that came into our lives when I was five years old and stayed for 40 years. He fell in love with my mom and took on five young children, without hesitation.

We had some very rough patches, when he was laid off or his hours were cut, but he always managed to get us through. I don’t ever remember needing for anything, and even at Christmas when we really didn’t have the money, he would pawn some of his most cherished items to make sure we all had a great Christmas.

Melissa: My dad wouldn’t let me get my drivers license until I knew how to drive a stick shift, so he took me out on a country road and put me in the drivers seat and tried so hard to explain to me how to use the clutch, gas pedal and shift at the same time. It took many hours that day, laughing then tears, because I just couldn’t get it but he wouldn’t take me home until I got it. I eventually did get it and I drove home. I was so proud of myself. Once we made it home I asked him why it was so important to him that I learn how to drive a stick shift when my car was an automatic. He told me that the day would come when I would be with someone else or I had to get somewhere in someone’s vehicle and if it was a stick shift he didn’t want me to be stranded somewhere because he always wanted me to come home. I was so mad at him the whole time out on that country road, but the whole time we were out there he had his little girl on his mind and in his heart.

Shannon: As all of the strangers lined up to say goodbye in 2009, they all said the same exact thing, “Your father gave me the shirt off his back… when no one else would even speak to me, and when he only had that one shirt to give.” In the middle of the night, on the side of the road, four hours away, it didn’t matter. Dad would be there for you if you needed him. See, he knew the true value of the human being, the human soul, the human heart.

Karen: My Dad was one of the most self-less people I have ever known. His life was difficult, his trials many. NEVER ONCE did he say, “I can not go on.” All 7 of us could turn to him with “one more problem.” Up to his last breath, he concerned himself about his children. He was widowed at a very early age, left with 7 children age 16 years to 4 months old. He never wavered in his faith in God, devotion to his family, and dedication to his job.

Brenda: My Dad could hardly wait to have us over for supper. He loved to cook and share his creations with us, friends, neighbors, even strangers. He was a great cook and everyone loved him. He’s been gone for 2 years, and every time I’m cooking up a creation, I can feel him smiling and can see him patting his belly.

Linda: My father is 94 years old. He was a B-17 pilot during WWII. He is the recipient of the SILVER STAR, DISTINGUISHED FLYING CROSS, 5 AIR MEDALS and the French LEGION OF HONOR. My Dad was one of the first helicopter pilot instructor and was the first person to land a helicopter on the deck of an aircraft carrier. Not only is he a great patriot, he is a great Dad. He taught his children to love their country, respect others and a strong work ethic. But, best of all, he taught his children how to love, to respect others to be kind gentle and understanding.

One of his brothers developed polio and was unable to walk. To make sure that he received what education that was available, when a horse was available, he would load his brother on to horse and take him to school. When no horse was available, he would hoist his brother on to his back and carry him the several miles to school.

My Dad is my best friend and the kindest man I know. He suffers from dementia, but still know all of his children when we call and is sure to tell us that he loves us. The time will come when my father leaves this earth, but he will never leave his only daughter’s heart.

SHEILA

posted June 18, 2011 at 7:10 am

My father is the best because he taught me never to compromise with anything that is contrary to the values he taught us. When i got home from a major wrongdoing and my mother was trashing me like i’m the worst person alive on earth, i overheard my father reproached my mother and vehement in his admonishment as to tell my mother to let me be and not lay a hand on me , that my remorse the consequence of my deeds was punishment enough for me.. He was kind and firm and always just

Mike

posted June 18, 2011 at 11:26 am

Interesting! I hope that everyone’s Saturday is going great and I hope that they have a great week! I alo hope that they had a great Flag Day! That goes for last year and all the oter years that I’ve missed. I’m sorry that I didn’t say anything about this last Saturday, but it slipped my mind. I also hope that they have a great Father’s Day! That goes for last year and all the other years that I’ve missed,as well.

Mike

posted June 18, 2011 at 11:28 am

I meant “also” and “other”. I’m sorry about the typos.

MARY O.

posted June 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I love and loved my Dad because he always had time to spend with me
as a little girl when I was growing up. He would be tired from working all day long doing constructions of houses in our small town and the surrounding towns but he didn’t consider that because he was
a very kind and patient man/person who didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings ever (at least not on purpose). That’s the way my father
was for as long as I knew him, which was 52 years when he died from
three kinds of cancer after six months in 2001 (Dec. 19th). Everyone liked my Dad…he was also a big contributor with shoveling snow on the sidewalks of our church. Dad took the time to show his love/likes to his eight children and his wife. We could always count on a ride on every Sunday even if it was only for a drive in the country or around the city park. My Dad was special. But to all those people who still have their fathers and grandfathers, let them know that you love and respect them now while they are still with you.
I miss my Dad everyday since he passed away…almost 10 years ago.
But he told me that “We will always have our memories, Mary Ann. No one can take them away from us.”

PAULINE MOSS

posted June 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm

MY DAD HAS GONE TO JESUS NOW. HE WAS A CARPENTER. ANYTIME I WOULD BE DOING A PROJECT AND NEED A HELPING HAND I WOULD CALL MY DAD AND ASK HIM “WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO” HE ANSWERED IN THE BEST WAY HE COULD AND IT WAS USUALLY A SOLUTION I HADN’T THOUGHT OF. I MISS DAD VERY MUCH
HE’S PROBABLY DOING SOME PROJECTS IN HEAVEN. HE’S MOST CERTAINLY STILL IN MY HEART.

Mike

posted June 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I hope that everyone’s Sunday is going great and I hope that they have a great week! I also hope that they are having a great Father’s Day! That goes forr last year and all the other years that I’ve missed.

Mike

posted June 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

Interesting! I meant “for” in my post June 19th. I’m sorry about the typo.

Crystal

posted April 21, 2012 at 10:43 am

My dad, my dad. He grew up on a farm in southern Oklahoma, said “just looking at cotton made his back hurt”, taught me how to drive a stick-shift truck in a cemetary (lots of curves and wouldn’t kill anyone)drive a tractor and riding lawn mower. Taught me to love God, music, laughter and loved to give BIG HUGS with his huge hands!

Poem: In The End
Today’s guest blogger is poet Tara Sophia Mohr Learn more about Tara’s poetry

posted 4:30:02pm Oct. 24, 2012 | read full post »

A Quote to Live By
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." Henry David Thoreau Whatever you were put on this earth to do, do it today. Don't delay. Don't look back. Run like crazy towards your passion and watch God lay the adventure out before you.

posted 9:22:40am Aug. 01, 2012 | read full post »