Inspiration Report

Inspiration Report

What the Resurrection Means for You (even if you don’t believe)

posted by Jennifer E. Jones

April 17th this year began Holy Week. Palm Sunday, Passover, Maundy Thursday, and Good Friday all lead up to Easter Sunday. I know many of you will be observing the holiday season in a variety of ways. Obviously many go to church and do Easter egg hunts. Some make a special dinner with family and friends while others prefer to spend the time alone in quiet reflection. Easter holds different messages and meanings to different people. However, there’s one way to approach this time of year that I think is universal.

During Easter, Christians recognize the completion of Jesus Christ’s mission on Earth: to come, to die for the sins of humanity and to be resurrected on the third day. Throughout my life, I think I’ve done more observance of Good Friday. I think about what that day must have been like. Here Jesus was, the Son of God. He’d performed miracles. He rejected the religious leaders and traditions of the day by loving the unlovable. People followed Him and believed in Him.

So what must it have been like when He died? When He said, “It is finished” and hung His head, what could His followers possibly have felt? Despair. Heartache. Possibly anger, as though they were tricked and He wasn’t who He said He was.

The disappointment of a broken dream is something everyone has felt. To put all your faith in something that lets you down is a heavy weight to bear. I may not have been there when the disciples watched their Lord breathe His last breath, but I can imagine how they felt: in a word, hopeless.

Not only did He die in the most publicly humiliating way at the time, but He was also entombed. Now that’s final. For three days, there was nothing. He was gone. All seemed lost.

But then on Sunday morning…

See, that’s what I mean about Easter. This is why people get so excited. It’s a celebration that the most hopeless of circumstances could be revived. The resurrection of Jesus is the heart of the Gospel message and, perhaps even, the meaning of the life: that there is hope. No matter how dark it gets, there is a light that shines. That’s why they call it “The Good News”, and it can inspire anybody.

I pray that during this Easter season, even if you’re not a Christian, you take some time out to sit and reflect. Think about the areas in your life that you feel are dead and remember this message. Despite how “final” your Friday feels, Sunday is on its way and you can get a fresh start. Things will turn around. And you don’t even have to wait for Sunday, because every day is a second chance – a chance to change, to forgive, to forget, and to grow.

In your darkest hour, keep your eyes peeled for the light. Wait for it. It’s coming.

Happy Easter.

For More:
The Joy and Hope of Easter
Just How Long Did Jesus Stay in the Tomb?
Resurrection Day
Nine Ways to Live the Resurrection

kenneth

posted April 21, 2011 at 12:31 am

I’ve been reflecting since Samhain. The light already came on Ostara. It’s almost Beltane and time for purification, fertility and an explosion of creativity!

Pingback: Easter Traditions - Whole Living

SCOTT

posted April 21, 2011 at 3:25 pm

everyday is easter,thanksgiving and fourth of july…the freedom ,gratitude and ressurection are in MY MIND

John M. West

posted April 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Everyone needs a message of hope when all seems lost or helpless. This message has served as a timely inspiration for me not to lose faith not matter how bad things seem to be. Amen.

herb garfield

posted April 21, 2011 at 3:35 pm

It takes some doing to hear the still small voice, and it can be easily dismissed. My meaning here is that I try to be aligned and attuned to His will for me at any given time. {What to leave in / what to leave out so to speak}, and even this can seem contrary to my wishes or inclinations, but not always so.

Zaiah Martinez

posted April 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm

As I reflect on my life I am convinced that God is alive and waiting for me to know the only one truth. That He is the only God and Savior of mankind. I will praise His holy Name now and forever.

donna c

posted April 21, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Very Nice spoken.. very true..Thank you

Linda

posted April 21, 2011 at 4:14 pm

The statement: “The resurrection of Jesus Christ is the heart of the Gospel message.” This is not scriptural. The Cross of Christ, what He did there by His Sacrifical Atoning Death is the heart of the Gospel. The Apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 2:2, “For I determined not to know anything among you save Jesus Christ, and Him Crucified.” That and that alone is the Message, which will save the sinner, set the captive free and give the Believer total victory just as long as he keeps his focus on the Cross of Christ. The Resurrection of Jesus Christ meant that He had defeated death and we too can defeat death through accepting Him. We died with Him, we were buried with Him and His Resurrection was our resurrection to a “Newness of Life”. Praise God and Glory to our Lord Jesus Christ.

LINUS LLOYD @ LEROY

posted April 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm

MANY OF GOD’S BLESSING ON YOU ALL.

LINUS LLOYD @ LEROY

posted April 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Many of God’s Blessing been on you all.

Scherry

posted April 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm

There are so many people that do not believe in the Resurrection and in Jesus or even God. I hear so many comments that why is God letting so many people die and why so many global problems. My son was saved from an Aortic anuerism and so many do not susrvive. He says that he does not believe in God because he would not have put him through so much pain and suffering.I cannot imagine what I would have done if God had decided to take him. I would appreciate prayers for my son to realize that he was saved for a reason and God will reveal his purpose in life. I am so grateful and thank God everyday. This is a very blessed Easter for me and soon for my son. Thank you and God bless.

Dr. Dapo

posted April 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I know I’m uniquely made by Almighty Father. He made all things by Himself–as a matter of fact, He disn;t get any permnission from any group or person. He is the Alpha and Omega–the Beginning and the End. I can do nothing without Him.

The gift of His son Jesus Christ to me and to the world mean a lot to me. I reflect on His power–the power bestowed upon His son–Jesus Christ to heal and make whole. I’m healed by His stripes, I’m made whole by His suffering at the cross. Never would I have enough words to say thank you–My Lord. I say thank you–each day. Thank you.

Elizabeth

posted April 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I myself was spared and saved by God in a most traumatic accident in my life through Jesus Christ our Lord and personal Saviour for a reason that only He knows. We all have a purpose and calling in life that we have to fulfill while we are waiting for the second coming of our Lord.I can’t wait for that time for all pains and suffering will finally be gone. PRAISE BE TO GOD ALMIGHTY !!!!

Daniel Verdino

posted April 21, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Without the Resurrection of Jesus Christ there would be no hope to this thing we call earthly life. If Jesus did not die and rise again then there is no meaning to Christianity. We, as Christians, would be wasting our time living for Christ if upon death of the body we go to the ground and that ends it all. We may as well just go on and do anything we want as the saying goes, “if it feels good do it.”

However, first of all you must believe the Bible is the Word of God. Then from there you must belive that Jesus came into this world as God in the flesh to die on the Cross for our sins and as we accept His sacrifice on the Cross we receive Salvation. Jesus died was buried, and then RISEN! See you in HEAVEN when your Soul leaves the body and goes to Paradise to await the Resurrection on the Last Day!

Joyce Bigby

posted April 21, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I believe in the Reurection and the Life of Jesus.I also believe in miracles.I have received many miracles eventhough it may seems otherwise.May God’slessing be with every one on this Easter.I pray the economy will change for the better and the many families and friends may fing some relief.I say thank you each day for my life and I am grateful for all God has provided for me.

Tonya Robertson

posted April 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I’m here today because of the love of my Lord and Savior! I am a fully recovered alcoholic and drug addict because of grace.

In my 20′s and 30′s it was hard for me to imagine a life in my 40′s; and yet, I’m 48 now because Jesus loved me more than I did. And I will be forever BLESSED!!!!!

Thank you Jesus!!!!!

Jenni Hamilton

posted April 21, 2011 at 6:52 pm

that was just beautiful and so perfectly needed. I was trying to explain to my son why Easter is so important and I tried to put feeling into it, but I just couldn’t grasp the right words. Thanks!

Frederick Arend

posted April 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm

The pree-born babie, butcherd in the sanctuary of its mother’s body, will not rise on the third day. Its in a plastic bag, in the garbage.
Abortion is not leagal in the USA and never has been, because the Supreme Court cannot leagalize. The power to leagalize is couched with the American People and is expressed through there duly elected representedives. Two attempts were made to pass abortion legislation through Congress, each failed. Abortion is therefore not the will of the American People. It is a horible and disgusting crime and a sin against God.

kenneth

posted April 21, 2011 at 10:50 pm

You’re quite the poet, Fred….

Edina

posted April 22, 2011 at 5:13 am

May the Peace and Love of Christ be with us all as we come to the end of Lent. The Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ has renewed our lives. Let us reflect, know that He died on the Cross to save everyone of us from sin. Let this Easter Sunday bring newness in our lives and let us accept Jesus Christ personally as our Lord and Saviour.

acel

posted April 22, 2011 at 7:56 am

I’am believer, becouse everything i ask gods assistance he answere all my petitions,he never abandon me.he always listen to me when i need him trough intersessory prayers to our blessed mother mary.thanks god i always serve my life to him till i die.

acel

posted April 22, 2011 at 8:03 am

I’am believer , and gods is so greate, he listen to my voice when i need him. he never fails to to guide me when im down.I will serve my life to god till i die becouse he is evertyhing . god work to my life i can feel that. when im down he is there, i got sick he cured. god is alive .i ask his guidance and he reply ,he never abandon us,thanks god for my life and safe all peoples need help.

renee

posted April 22, 2011 at 11:12 am

This is the first Easter since our beautiful mother ‘s (nana) passing.
My sister is in a terrible funk and now lives alone.
plz pray for her (Denise) and also for peace in our families and in our world.
TY Jesus for our many blessings and for your unconditional love!!!

Ana Banks

posted April 22, 2011 at 11:14 am

I don’t know how to express it with words, but Thanks for this reflection. It is very inspiring, and to me, a great message.

alex

posted April 22, 2011 at 11:24 am

that is so great that you got to see and hear your father. Also say thank you to your father for me cause if was not to all the soliders that put there lives on the line to day we would not be such a good country to live in. So once again I will for ever thank the soliders that serve for our country.

Ps SOLIDERS please come back safe and sound to your famlies.

Thanks again soliders for serving for this country.

J.P.& Mary

posted April 22, 2011 at 11:34 am

When I was two yeas old, I fell off a two story porch onto concrete, when I was six my appendix ruptured
when i was eight I was hit with a baseball bat in my left eye , the doctor told me if it were !/!000 of an inch I would be dead, When I 19 ,I was hit head on, want though the window, When I was in my 60′s I came down with cancer, I’m still here today, I’m not mad at God NO , I thank him for my three kids and my five grandkids and I tell him ever day that I love him with my wife

Margaret

posted April 22, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I love this!!! Fills my heart with so much joy!!! God is so good and we should never lose hope. I thank Jesus for dying for me, his resurrection and allowing us the opportunity for our souls to be saved. Thank you for this inspiring message.

Your Name

posted April 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Happy Earth Day,

How wonderful and beautiful that there is also the relationship between science and philosophy, that reason itself is a value and a claim about truth.

Artie

posted April 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

In some ways I have to admire people who have such unshakable faith in their religious beliefs…or,as I like to say, still believe in “fairy tales.” It certainly makes life much simpler, acceptable and calmer in many ways. If your religion gives you some piece of mind and hope for the human condition..more power to you. However, I view this kind of blind acceptance as a major crutch as well as an impediment to truth, logic and above all else…reason. Add to this that most people are total religious bigots and hipocrites and we have the basis for continual human discord across the planet. In this day and age of science, discovery and reason, it amazes me that anyone with any measurable amount of intelligence and common sense can buy off on so much of the relgious dogma out there. The things people believe, even to this day, remain no more likely than stories about the “man in the moon.” That said, I believe you can be spiritual and a good person and even perhaps believe, if you must, that there is some celestial governing “Higher Power” out there. However, to simply accept most religious dogma (regardless of your religion) as undisputed fact and truth is, in a word, remarkable.

Julie

posted April 22, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I thank God everyday that I am still alive. I was diagonise with Cancer in 2005. I tahnk God for my four children and my four grandsons. I am a true beliver that we all have a purpose and a calling in life. Being 48yrs old and having 3 grandsons under the age of two. A grand daughter on the way in July. I am truly blessed. God bless you all.

J

posted April 23, 2011 at 1:51 am

Today I went to the stations of the cross at church.
haven’t been for umpteen million years but it was different this time.
I was moved and felt the sorrow & passion of our Lord
how could this have happened? yet the horror&pain of the ages continues
my daughter said she doesn’t participate (believe) in the Easter celebration (the resurrection)
I just stumbled across her baptism & communion pictures, & I cried.
Please pray,
to patiently wait for the touch of love, light & truth to reach us all.
It took me a while to realize it, & hope it won’t take as long.

Joyce

posted April 23, 2011 at 4:18 am

He is Risen! He is Risen! My Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, arose from the dead in 3 days. Not even death could hold him in the tomb.
I am so grateful that I can repent and he will forgive me of my sins, and all because he died on the cross for our sins! I Praise His Holy Name! Thank you Jesus! I love you! I pray you all have a happy and joyous Easter!

Kate

posted April 24, 2011 at 4:17 am

yes, God always showed us that His great love is everlasting by giving us hope in times of troubles and depress, even to the most unbearable situation, through Jesus Christ. By raising Jesus, it means we have always new life, new chance, new beginnings. Happy Easter to everyone and may the love and grace of our Lord Jesus will be always in our hearts! God bless us all.

leon talpalar

posted April 24, 2011 at 6:51 am

growing up as a jew i was conditioned to ridicule and acknowledge that Christ was insignificant although he had lived thousands of years earlier-nonetheless my inherent belief in Christ coupled with various timely influences led to my firm belief that Christ Jesus was and is the greatest Jew who ever walked this earth-as a Jew I choose to call him Yeshua-the credibility gap for Jews today represents the single greatest controversy of mankind-Moses was the greatest prophet-but when my hour of need nearly ended in suicide i literally had nowhere to turn-i was the only Jew in a Christain based drug rehab center-it was there that i learned how to pray to Yeshua like never before-even my rabbi acknowledged that for many addicts, Jesus has been a significant beacon of hope for recovery-he has been and continues to be my constant source of inspiration and will to continue to live a drug free life-i hope and pray i will live long enough to witness his return

Rene

posted April 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Very Beautifully said, a very meaniful message for those of us who have lost sight of hope at times. Happy Easter indeed. Thank you.

Ana

posted April 24, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I was deeply impressed by Frederick Arend and Tonya Robertson’s comments.
Tonya, thanks for highlighting God’s power and love in your recovery process. A lived the same experience with one of my dear sons who was in drugs and is now fully recovered-for years-
Frederick, you expressed very well the horrendous crime of abortion.
Especially on Holy Friday I prayed God asking Him to redeem me of so much pain and emotional suffering, helping me to live life again under his light and hope.
Happy Easter to everyone :)

Lori

posted April 25, 2011 at 1:58 am

Jesus gives me so much strenth!!!!!!!! His promise gives me something to look forward to!!!!!I am mocked by family for my faith! though it hurts what they say……Jesus speeks louder to my heart,than the words of my family!!!! THANK YOU JESUS FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME AND GIVEN ME!!!!!!!

Abambagibus

posted April 25, 2011 at 7:31 pm

The spindle of this thread indicates : ‘During Easter, Christians recognize the completion of Jesus Christ’s mission on Earth: to come, to die for the sins of humanity and to be resurrected on the third day.’ Accordingly, therefore, His mission was completed so completely that He has no reason to return, no reason come back and complete it. Thank God. I was beginning to actually believe in the inevitability of His Comeback. Forsan Ab Ambagibus.

Catherine

posted May 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm

What the Resurrection of CHRIST means to me, it gives me hope. My life is worth living for GOD to send HIS ONE and ONLY SON JESUS to die on the cross for my sins. GOD Blesses me every single day of my life. I have something to look forward to, to be with GOD, and JESUS, and my parents in HEAVEN. I am LOVED.

Katherine

posted April 19, 2014 at 11:05 pm

If you do not are follower of Christ, why bother to go into these kinds of websites in the first place? Perhaps it somehow helps you to feel more secure in your beliefs…somehow better about yourself…by condemning and/or ridiculing others beliefs. How sad for you….