Honestly with Sheila Walsh

Honestly with Sheila Walsh

A fad or a Place for Connection and Hope?

posted by Sheila Walsh

Some fads seem to spring up in our culture and for a moment they are everywhere, and just as quickly, they are gone. I wondered at first whether Twitter, Facebook and other social media networking outlets that have spread like wildfire would share the same fate. It would seem however that they have found a place within our hearts, homes and daily lives that many of us would be reluctant to give up. At first, I just liked knowing where my friends were and what they were doing, but then something happened that changed everything for me.

I read a ‘tweet’ from a friend asking for prayer for a little girl, Kate McRae, who is five years old and has been recently diagnosed with a brain tumor. There was a link to a Caringbridge site that told more of Kate’s story and I began to pray for this little one and for the rest of her family. I asked those who follow me on Twitter or who are Facebook friends to join me in asking God to have mercy on this child. Many others did too. I now know that thousands and thousands of people are daily lifting up this whole family in prayer. A friend of mine who is the Director of an International Relief Agency said to me, “I think this is the greatest use I have witnessed of a social media site.” Within moments now we can alert people all around the world to a particular crisis or injustice and raise our voices together. I still love to know where my friends are and what they are up to, but I am very grateful to be part of a connected community that believes in the power of prayer and support.

There are many people who count it a true joy to share the things that make you smile and the things that weigh you down. You are not alone.

“Share each other’s troubles and problems, and in this way obey the law of Christ. If you think you are too important to help someone in need, you are only fooling yourself.” Galatians 6:2-3 (NLT)

Kimberly

posted July 27, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Sheila, what a powerful msg. I agree with you. Praise the Lord.

Carol

posted July 27, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I am a member of the McRae’s church. I too was one who posted to everyone I could think of to pray and her journey still continues today. I cried when I saw and still see daily reminders to pray for her. The the live streaming prayer meeting occurred and it showed me how God can move in a mighty way through an laptop and an internet connection.

Cindy Bubel

posted July 27, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Amen

jennifer

posted July 28, 2009 at 12:08 am

Sheila, your so right. Some times these sites are used for the wrong things but it makes me grateful when they are used for the Lords work and for
Blessing others. Thank you

Julie

posted July 28, 2009 at 9:45 am

Thank you for this reminder. I may share your message in an upcoming staff devotion at the YMCA where I work.

sweet missy sue

posted July 29, 2009 at 8:45 am

Sheila,
Just wanted to encourage you.
God is even in facebook. He is good and He created man who in turn created technology, who in turn created computers, internet and then facebook.
Sometimes I think I use facebook to aide in my boredom, which facebook can easily become like chocolate, addicting at times.
Sometimes though I think God is even in facebook. He is God you know.
Facebook is a place for both connecting with old loves ones and new friends. It is a place to have fun and relax. It can become a hobby. It is a fad, but I believe, like you it can be a place of hope and healing as well as we express ourselves and gain the body of Christ’s support in our every day circumstances.
Your post was encouraging. I use facebook to let my light shine through Him and we need to all think before we write b/c sometimes we can say things we regret later on or we miscommunciate.
Thanks for your post again, Missy Sue :)

mary

posted July 29, 2009 at 11:51 am

Sheila
I had a very dear friend whose husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and struggled for a year.
During that time, she was in the hospital with him every day sometimes for 2 or 3 months at a time. She had joined Caringbridge and through her daily posts we were able to keep up with Les and his progess. We in turn were able to post prayers, scripture and daily updates as to what was happening here at home. At the time of his death, over 10,000 posts to Caringbridge had been made to Les. It is truly a wonderful way for those to keep in touch with a loved one.
Mary

Sandra

posted August 1, 2009 at 6:14 pm

We saw a year ago the power of the internet with Randy Pausch’s up-dates on his struggles with pancraetic cancer. Part of my daily morning routine was to check his web site and know how he was doing, and lift him and his family up in prayers. I was very sad when he passed away, as I felt the link had died with him. I felt grateful to having access to the internet and to know that Randy Pausch’ message and “Last Lecture” was going farther than he had ever imagined; that was God’s doing. Now I often think of his wife and three children and wonder how they are doing. The same thing is happening with “songs around the world”, and its powerful impact on people, and touching every soul who hears the music. Peace..

Your Name

posted August 6, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I so agree that things like facebook and twitter can be used for good. I, too, have been praying for Kate because someone there alerted me to her situation. Just this week a family at our church lost their baby at 24 weeks preg. I was able to get others praying just through a status update.
I think the Lord can truly use anything that he wants no matter what the purpose was for it being started. I find it amazing how technology is being used to spread God’s word. God is truly AMAZING!

Val Z.

posted August 6, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Hi Sheila,
my friend Brenda told me about twitter and we tweet to each other back and forth about the bible and I really like it a lot. I will keep Kate in my prayers too.

Where to Start?!?
Do you ever find yourself staring at a to-do list on a Monday morning and wondering where to start? Yesterday morning I was like a deer staring into the headlights of a Mac truck. I had two books to edit, a house that needed cleaning, a pile of laundry that looked like a bed for a horse an

posted 12:25:27pm Aug. 03, 2009 | read full post »

A Race to Run
It was early on a Sunday morning when I boarded my flight home to Dallas. I smiled at the woman who was already seated in my row but she didn't return the smile. She was a very striking woman that I imagined to be in her sixties. I thought, "She either just wants to be left alone or she is afraid to

posted 3:57:26pm Jul. 27, 2009 | read full post »

Only a Prayer Away
I have always been a stargazer. One of my favorite things to do as a child was to lie on a blanket on the grass and wait for the stars and the moon to appear. From a child-like perspective the sun seemed to beat down on me but the moon smiled on me and so I smiled back. Some nights the moon seemed s

posted 12:41:57pm Jul. 20, 2009 | read full post »

God in Every Moment
I looked at my to-do list today and had two more cups of coffee! I have to take Christian to basketball camp, pick up groceries for the next four days, do the laundry, get my nails done, pick Christian up from basketball camp, take him to get new school uniforms, cook dinner, go to my exercise class

posted 11:04:41am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

The Gap Between Here and There
Today I received the news that a very brave, eight year old boy, Connor Cruse, lost his battle with cancer. As I read the message I wept. Although the family lives in our neighborhood, I have never met Connor, but I have seen his photographs and the wonderful things that his mother and father have w

posted 9:55:49am Jul. 13, 2009 | read full post »