Homeshuling

Homeshuling

When I wasn’t looking…..

posted by Homeshuling

Homeshuling turned one! My first post was on March 1, 2009, and featured my great-grandmother’s hamnetashen recipe. I started the blog because I had been fantasizing for a while about writing a Jewish parenting book, and thought that starting a blog would help me formulate some ideas. (The not-so noble impetus for this fantasy was reading how much Wendy Mogel makes for her live appearances….) I’m no closer to that book, but I am a richer person for the blog. I’ve met lots of amazing Jewish bloggers and writers, developed a tiny little fan base, and given my mother more opportunities to kvell about her granddaughters (not that she needs more.) Thanks to all of you for reading, for commenting, for sharing your own great ideas and stories, and for telling your friends about my blog. I hope that even if I never write a book, I’ve encouraged a few of you to think more about what kind of Jewish home life you want to create for your children, and given you some tools to make it happen.
Coincidentally, on the one-year anniversary of my first post, I received an email from a big (and I do mean BIG) website expressing interest in hosting my blog. I’m considering the move, but would like your opinion. How would you feel if there were ads (not selected by me) running on the same page as homeshuling? Would you stop visiting? Would you still like me?

Sarah Buttenwieser

posted March 4, 2010 at 6:37 am

whatever you chose, i say happy birthday! (next month i’ll join you in oh-oneness).
congrats! maybe celebrate with hamnetashen? cause who doesn’t like it, especially now your grandmother’s recipe?
;-}

Cat

posted March 4, 2010 at 9:45 am

Well, I read your posts through an RSS feed, so I see fewer ads that if I were visiting your site directly. Is there an advantage to the move? Does it further your goals and values? Or is it just an opportunity you’re considering?
I would likely still read your posts, if that’s a consideration.

Eileen

posted March 4, 2010 at 10:15 am

If the move helps you you should do it. I personally ignore ALL ads on blogs, I don’t even notice them.

phyllis

posted March 4, 2010 at 2:15 pm

mazel tov on your blogaversary!
now you can eat solid foods :-) just kidding.
i run ads on my blog. how do you feel about those? that might help you to decide how you feel.
will they ask for specific content, will you have total control, etc. those are some other questions to ask yourself, i think, way more than just the ads.

Tzipporah

posted March 4, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I would still come, but as phyllis points out, are there other issues than just ads? Would you find yourself censoring your content out of concern for what the host site will think about it?
Something to think about.

Hannah @A Mother in Israel

posted March 5, 2010 at 6:24 am

Congrats on your blogoversary!
If you accept the offer you’ll get a lot of exposure, and you’ll be closer to that book deal too. It could be that a few readers will leave, some people don’t like change. But that’s life.

Frume Sarah

posted March 5, 2010 at 4:26 pm

May you have many, many more!!!
I too tend to ignore the ads. Of course, the host site might now like hearing that your readers ignore ads :)
I’ll remain a faithful reader.

Miriam Foss

posted March 7, 2010 at 9:33 am

Embrace the possiblity. You are in a small niche to begin with. The wider Jewish world will offer inspiration to you and you to the wider Jewish world.If it does not work out you can always go back to your own blog.
Go for it! B’Hazlacha!

Henny

posted March 9, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I very much dislike ads on blogs I read. it makes the blog seems like just another tshirt advertising what someone wants you to by. I disassociate from ad heavy blogs just b/c it gets on my nerves.
that said I doubt what I have to say on the subject matters much honestly b/c I have never commented on yur site (though I read) and I doubt you’e read my boring old site either ;)
oddly enough… I just wrote a pos ton the very same subject this evening. you’re just one of my of the blogs I read to just this week say their considering doing the ad thing. it’s bizarre honestly.

L Summers

posted March 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Congrats on turning one! I would be fine if it moves… I’m not a big fan of ads, though, although I would live.