Homeshuling

Homeshuling

Using up some more chametz

posted by Homeshuling

My three year old’s favorite self-described “healthy food” is noodle kugel. As with many of my other  recipes, this dish involves very little preparation and very few utensils to clean. It’s fast to prepare, and it’s always a hit at potlucks. But even with a few modifications to reduce the fat – healthy, it is not.
The Easiest Noodle Kugel Recipe in the World – adapted from Epicurious
8 oz wide egg noodles/ 1 cup raisins/ 5 eggs/ 1 cup lowfat sour cream/ 1 stick melted butter, cooled/ 1/3 cup white sugar/ 4 cups of lowfat milk/  Topping: 3 cups corn flakes/ 1/4 cup brown sugar
Spread the UNCOOKED noodles (really!) and raisins in a buttered glass lasagna pan. Mix together all the other ingredients except the topping and pour over the noodles. Put the corn flakes and brown sugar in a zip-loc back and crush together. Pour over the unbaked kugel.
Bake at 350 for an hour or until firm in the center and golden brown on the edges.

health food

health food

Lou

posted April 2, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Oy! Uncooked WIDE noodles? No cinnamon? No salt? a golden and not a deep brown topping? Asher’s Bubbe would object! ;-)

homeshuling

posted April 3, 2009 at 6:33 am

The egg noodles I buy say “wide” on the package, but they really aren’t very wide. But they aren’t super-fine, which is what my mom uses.
If you wait till this kugel is deep brown to remove it from the oven, the custard of the kugel will have started to get dry.
I’m sure Bubbe’s is better!

Bible Belt Balabusta

posted April 3, 2009 at 3:55 pm

If this is as good and easy as it sounds, I will love you forever.
Results to follow.

Bonnie Gordon

posted April 3, 2009 at 4:06 pm

If this was the recipe you made and brought to the Shabbat gathering that you organized,……loved it..quite yummy!

homeshuling

posted April 3, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I actually forgot to put in the sour cream in that batch, and it still came out pretty well. The texture was off – Zoe kept calling it quiche instead of kugel and I could see why.

Jendeis

posted April 6, 2009 at 9:46 am

Sounds so easy! Thanks for the recipe. :)

ellen

posted March 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

i have a great, perfectly, almost too healthy, replacement for sour cream! no-fat greek yogurt!

marjorie

posted March 2, 2010 at 9:35 am

that epicurious recipe is my go-to. (very similar to my mom’s, only she also adds cottage cheese.) not having to cook the noodles is a serious life-changer. (i just looked at the comments on the epicurious version and some are hilariously vile — “i add cheddar cheese!” “i used mango-flavored pineapple chunks!” “i used barilla penne and frosted flakes!”)
using the no-fat greek yogurt is a great idea.