When you buy flour in paper packages, where and how do you store it in your kitchen? You can keep it the original packaging or put it into a sealed plastic or glass containers. Also you can store it in the refrigerator or a cool dry place. But here’s a hint you need to know when you are using it to bake with…
* If you store flour in the refrigerator, you must take it out and bring to room temperature before you use it. If you don’t do this, the recipe just may have a heavy texture.
You don’t need a special tool to sharpen scissors. Simply go to your kitchen and pull out a roll of aluminum to get rid of those dull edges. Here’s what to do next.
1. Tear off 3-4 pieces of aluminum foil, place each on top of the other.
2. Take the scissors and cut the foil about 12-15 times. The scissors should be sharper.
3. Then buff the edges of the scissors with a steel-wool pad and you’ll be ready to cut anything.
If you cook, this just happens, and it can be such a pain to remove. Here’s an easy way to handle this cleaning job.
1. Sprinkle the gunked areas with salt and cover with a small layer of hot water to make a paste. Scrub hard with a plastic brush or scrubbie and the stuff should come off.
The throw pillows on your couch or bed can get a bit dusty or stale. So here’s an easy way to freshen them.
1. Put several into the dryer on AIR or FLUFF only.
2. Toss in a scented fabric softener sheet.
3. Run the dryer for just several minutes to remove the dust.
If you notice that furniture or chair legs are damaging your beautiful hardwood floors, here are two hints on how to lessen the damage or prevent it from happening in the future.
* Fill the existing dents with clear nail polish or shellac.
* To prevent more dents, put adhesive-backed moles on the bottom of the chair legs.
If hair spray has built up on these surfaces, here’s a Heloise hint to get this sticky stuff off.
* Pour rubbing alcohol onto a terry cloth towel or microfiber cloth and simply wipe over the sticky areas.
* To prevent this from recurring, when you spray your hair, stand the in shower/stall to contain it. Then it can be rinsed off when you shower.
If the inside of plastic bowls or storage containers stink, here’s how you can get rid of the odors.
* Make a paste of baking soda and water.
* Rub this all over the interior surfaces and let sit overnight.
* Wash with hot soapy water, rinse well and dry.
If you have extra ice cube trays you aren’t using for ice cubes, you can use them for other liquids. Pour leftover stock, coffee or tea into the trays, freeze and store in sealed freezer-safe bags. Here’s how to use them.
* To season a dish you’re cooking, toss in a cube of stock.
* To flavor milk or drop into too-hot coffee, use the coffee cubes.
* To perk up iced tea, add an ice tea cube.
If you have extra stale bread, crackers or rolls, don’t throw them out. You can revive them. Here’s how.
* To perk up a loaf of uncut bread, brush water over the bread. Wrap in aluminum foil and heat in a medium-hot oven for about 10 minutes.
* To freshen rolls, dip each into a bowl of milk and place in a hot oven for a couple of minutes.
* To bring soggy crackers back, put them in a microwave on HIGH for around 30 seconds.
Cooking dried beans takes some time, but is worth the effort. Here are several hints that are useful when cooking them.
1. If your water has high mineral content, it will take longer to cook the dried beans.
2. If that bag of dried beans has been on your shelf a long time, it will take longer for the beans to cook.
3. Put a pinch of dried ginger into the pot to help lessen the gaseousness of the beans.