If you are going to arrange silk or dried flowers in a big vase, here are several hints to help make this decorative foliage more stable.
* Put sand or cat-box litter in the vase to hold the arrangement in place.
* Be aware that the cat-box litter will also act as hidden room deodorizer.
* Or add marbles to the bottom of the vase, which will be a substitute for the use of a floral frog.
If you have to bake Halloween treats for your children’s school, here’s an idea that your children’s classmates and friends will love! They’re just a tad different and that will delight them.
1. Bake cupcakes in ice cream cones with flat bottoms.
2. Cover with orange or chocolate frosting.
3. Decorate with jack-o’-lantern or candy corn candies.
When your children come home from school, they often are hungry. Here’s a quick and easy nosh they can make. Keep a package of flour tortillas and also a package of individually wrapped processed-cheese singles on hand. Teach them how to make this tortilla treat.
1. Your kids can place a single cheese slice on top of a tortilla and then fold it in half and put it on a microwave-safe plate or paper plate.
2. They should microwave it just for 25 or so seconds—only until the cheese has melted. Be sure they let it cool for about a minute before eating.
3. Make sure they watch it carefully. NO WALKING OFF!
The garbage disposal is such an indispensable item in our kitchens. And with daily use and abuse, it can accumulate all those food odors. Here’s what to do to contain and prevent them.
* At least weekly, grind all those leftover lemon or lime or other citrus rinds down the disposal.
* When you use the disposal let lots of cold water for at least 15-20 seconds.
* Be aware that the splashguard might also be the source of smells; so wash it with hot soapy water.
When you buy flour in paper packages, where and how do you store it in your kitchen? You can keep it the original packaging or put it into a sealed plastic or glass containers. Also you can store it in the refrigerator or a cool dry place. But here’s a hint you need to know when you are using it to bake with…
* If you store flour in the refrigerator, you must take it out and bring to room temperature before you use it. If you don’t do this, the recipe just may have a heavy texture.
You don’t need a special tool to sharpen scissors. Simply go to your kitchen and pull out a roll of aluminum to get rid of those dull edges. Here’s what to do next.
1. Tear off 3-4 pieces of aluminum foil, place each on top of the other.
2. Take the scissors and cut the foil about 12-15 times. The scissors should be sharper.
3. Then buff the edges of the scissors with a steel-wool pad and you’ll be ready to cut anything.
If you cook, this just happens, and it can be such a pain to remove. Here’s an easy way to handle this cleaning job.
1. Sprinkle the gunked areas with salt and cover with a small layer of hot water to make a paste. Scrub hard with a plastic brush or scrubbie and the stuff should come off.
The throw pillows on your couch or bed can get a bit dusty or stale. So here’s an easy way to freshen them.
1. Put several into the dryer on AIR or FLUFF only.
2. Toss in a scented fabric softener sheet.
3. Run the dryer for just several minutes to remove the dust.
If you notice that furniture or chair legs are damaging your beautiful hardwood floors, here are two hints on how to lessen the damage or prevent it from happening in the future.
* Fill the existing dents with clear nail polish or shellac.
* To prevent more dents, put adhesive-backed moles on the bottom of the chair legs.
If hair spray has built up on these surfaces, here’s a Heloise hint to get this sticky stuff off.
* Pour rubbing alcohol onto a terry cloth towel or microfiber cloth and simply wipe over the sticky areas.
* To prevent this from recurring, when you spray your hair, stand the in shower/stall to contain it. Then it can be rinsed off when you shower.