Roaches can easily get into your home. Here’s a non-toxic approach to help get rid of them. Create this tasty, but deadly, treat for them:
Mix equal amounts of boric acid powder with one of the following: flour, cornmeal or sugar. Sprinkle this over infested areas. Roaches will walk through this, and then eat it when they clean their feelers and legs. The boric acid powder will render them dead over time. Don’t let pets or small children come in contact with this mixture. Do use caution.
When doing routine household cleaning, don’t forget to check out how dirty the landlines or cell phones are. They need to be cleaned. Here’s how:
1. To get rid of smudges, makeup or dirt, spritz an all-purpose on a paper towel and wipe over the dirtiest areas. Do not spray cleaners directly onto the phone.
2. For a fast clean, use prepackaged wet towelettes to clean.
3. Don’t forget the cord!
These curtains can get dusty from hanging in a busy room with lots of traffic. Here’s an easy hint to clean them:
1. Wash them according to the care label.
2. Then, dissolve a cup of Epsom salt in hot water.
3. Dip the sheers in the solutions.
4. Hang in the shower to dry. Then you won’t have to iron them.
If you’ve bought avocados at the supermarket and they haven’t softened enough to eat, here’s what you can do to hasten the process:
1. Place the avocados into a brown paper bag and add a banana or an apple in with the avocado and close the bag.
2. Let sit for a day or so and check to see if they’ve softened.
3. When you cut the avocado, squeeze some lemon juice on it to prevent the meat from turning brown.
When you get to the last several inches of product in spray cleaners, it is often hard to use up all of it. Here’s what to do get all the spray out:
Add several marbles to the bottle. This will raise the level back up, so that the spray pump will work and you can use up all the liquid.
If you have stinky smells around your home, you don’t have to buy expensive odor removers. Instead, you can create your own very cheaply. Here’s how:
1. Pour household vinegar into several wide-mouth, big glass jars.
2. Next, add several cloves or cinnamon.
3. Then, microwave for just a minute or two.
4. Finally, place the jars in the rooms that need some refreshing.
Always buy toothbrushes in bulk. They come in handy for things other than cleaning your teeth! Here are a few unconventional ways you can you toothbrushes around the house:
1. To remove bits of food stuck in the tines of a fork.
2. To clean the handles of pots and pans.
3. To eliminate dirt and grit on the handles or the rubber around the stove or oven.
When you bring cheeses home from the supermarket, it’s important to store them properly, so they last longer and you don’t end up tossing them out! Here’s what you should do:
1. Place cheese in the refrigerator in a sealable plastic bag. If the cheese is sliced keep it in the original wrapper then into a plastic bag.
2. Moisture may cause many types of cheese to become moldy. To prevent that, place a couple of sugar cubes or a paper napkin in a plastic zippered bag, along with the cheese.
When you buy this kind of chocolate, you should wrap it well and store in a cool spot that’s also dry. Here’s what else you should do.
* You do not need to put chocolate in the refrigerator, just keep it away from light, heat or strong odors because they can negatively affect it. Don’t keep it next to the stove.
* Chocolate of this type should last for about a year, but if it’s texture or flavor seems different, time to throw it out.
If you have to peel and mince a lot of garlic cloves for a dish, it can be time-consuming, here’s hint used by chefs that will make it faster.
Place the garlic clove on a cutting board, then put the widest part of a French chef’s knife flat-side on top of the clove. Whack it with the heel of your hand. The garlic clove with be crushed and zoom right out of the peel.
Kids Computer Keyboard Yucky?
Your kids will use their computer while eating or drinking or with sticky hands, just like adults! Of course, the keyboard will get grimy. So, here’s how they can clean it when it is dirty and disgusting!
1. First, turn off the computer and unplug the keyboard.
2. Put down a sheet of newspaper
posted 8:00:05am Sep. 18, 2014 |
read full post
Friendship Celebration Cake
This is a wonderful long time favorite Heloise reader idea for sharing at family gathering. If you are celebrating a big anniversary, everyone one can participate in bringing a part of this Friendship Celebration Cake.
1. When you send out the invitation this kind of special family event, ask eac
posted 8:00:09am Sep. 17, 2014 |
read full post
Photo Stuck to Glass in a Frame?
Oh no! When you see a favorite family photo adhered to the glass, this can be a tough thing to remove. First, before you try to unstick it, take a picture of the photo through the glass or scan it, if possible. You then will at least have a copy, just in case. Here are the steps to take to attempt t
posted 8:00:12am Sep. 16, 2014 |
read full post
Buying Hi-Tech Devices
Buying computers, smart phones, readers, gaming equipment is expensive and so is repairing them. To make them last longer, it’s important to clean and care for them regularly, but we also know that accidents do happen. Heloise here with how to protect that costly equipment.
Think about getting
posted 8:00:56am Sep. 15, 2014 |
read full post
Save Money Dry-Cleaning
If dry-cleaning all of your garments has become too expensive for your budget, here are some Heloise alternative hints you can take to clean and freshen your clothing at home in lieu of taking them to a cleaner:
1. Buy and use a home cleaning kit to FRESHEN, which will also remove light stains or
posted 8:00:11am Sep. 12, 2014 |
read full post