Respect – The Key To Life
by Dave Chief, Grandson of Red Dog, Crazy Horse’s Band
Respect means no interruption.
Respect means no confrontation.
Respect means no accusation.
Respect means no “mocking,”
Especially, no mocking of elders.
Respect means no lies between us.
Respect means no betrayal of confidence.
Respect means no “ripping off.”
Respect means no hording.
Respect means no “Lording it over” someone.
Respect means no ordering around.
Respect means no yelling in anger.
Respect means no bad language.
Respect means no name calling.
Respect means controlling yourself.
Respect is not a commodity.
Respect is a way of being.
Respect is in our chest not in our hand.
Respect is for all of life.
Respect is for every species in the world, including all four races.
Respect is for all our relations.
Respect is focusing on and dealing in “issues” and not “personalisms.”
Respect is focusing on “what” is right rather than “who” is right.
Respect means owning our own negativity and not being a “Blame Shifter.” A “Blame Shifter” is one who projects or shifts his own negativity onto someone else. This is the process of bigotry, war, and genocide.
Respect is keeping the lines of communication open with those who have a different opinion,
and making a sincere attempt to let them be heard and understood.
Respect means listening until everyone has been heard and understood, only then is there a possibility for “Balance and Harmony,” the goal of Indian spirituality.
The Indian prayer, “All My Relations” is a prayer of Respect for the Hoop of Life. Almost everyone believes Respect is a good thing but few people have a clear idea of what Respect means or what Respect looks like.
with love and respect,
The MEGA Coach
- Spent his childhood working on the family farm, with long days of back-breaking toil.
- His mother died when he was just ten years old, leaving his father to raise the children.
- Went to work for a businessman who ran the business into the ground, leaving him unemployed.
- Ran for the Illinois state legislature and lost, finishing eighth in a field of thirteen.
- Signed a note to buy into a general store with a friend, but within a year they were out of business.
- Fell in love and became engaged to be married, only to have her die unexpectedly. He was heartbroken and severely depressed.
- Fell in love again and married, had four sons, three of whom died before reaching adulthood.
- Finally successful in getting elected to the state legislature and made two attempts to become speaker. He was defeated both times.
- Wanted to run for Congress but failed to achieve his party’s nomination.
- Ultimately won a seat in Congress. But when he sought to run for the U.S. Senate, he couldn’t muster the votes and withdrew from the election.
- Ran for the Senate and failed.
- Finally, however, he ran for the highest office in the land and Abe Lincoln became the 16th, and many consider our greatest, President of the United States.
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common
than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.”
Follow your dream. Take consistent, positive action in whatever way you can.
Anything is possible!
The MEGA Coach
Do you have a positive mental attitude? Success is 80% attitude and 20% aptitude.
If you want to know where you are in your life, just look and observe your current relationships, situation and results. Acknowledge the truth of what is and you will see your current level of success. No judgment, just the facts. Are you happy, healthy and prospering?
If you are not succeeding ask yourself if you are totally committed to your success? Are you consistently empowering yourself and others and taking effective action?
Your attitude determines your results. Do you have a Positive Mental Attitude? Do you have Positive Self Talk and Acknowledgement?
These factors are keys to your success or failure. Whatever you think about or acknowledge is what you focus your energy on. It is what you will create. This is the power of focused attention and the Law of Attraction.
Your choices and decisions are determined by your beliefs, values and thoughts. You have to direct and program your own mind or you let others do it for you.
Accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. Consistently be and think positive and create a positive, mental attitude using positive self-talk. Be a source of encouragement for others and empower others with your positive energy and words. Consistently take positive actions.
When you discover a negative thought, stop, say, “next” and then replace it with 3 positive thoughts. When you discover you are saying something negative to yourself or others, stop, say, “cancel, cancel, cancel” and then say something positive.
Develop good habits in your thoughts, words and actions. Make sure that you are taking action in the best possible way to leverage your resources. Do the most important and productive things you can whenever you can.
Surround yourself with positive and uplifting people. Create a positive and nurturing home environment and work environment. Make sure you have an encouraging team – family, friends, co-workers, etc.
Discover what you want and why you want it…the universe will show you the how. Trust and have faith! You can do it!
Make your life a masterpiece!
The MEGA Coach