- He spent his childhood working on the family farm, with long days of back-breaking toil.
- His mother died when he was just ten years old, leaving his father to raise the children.
- He went to work for a businessman who ran the business into the ground, leaving him unemployed.
- He ran for the Illinois state legislature and lost, finishing eighth in a field of thirteen.
- He signed a note to buy into a general store with a friend, but within a year they were out of business.
- He fell in love and became engaged to be married, only to have her die unexpectedly.
He was heartbroken and severely depressed.
- He fell in love again and married. He had four sons, three of whom died before reaching adulthood.
- He was finally successful in getting elected to the state legislature and made two attempts to become speaker.
He was defeated both times.
- He wanted to run for Congress but failed to achieve his party’s nomination.
- He ultimately won a seat in Congress. But when he sought to run for the U.S. Senate,
he couldn’t muster the votes and withdrew from the election.
- He ran for the Senate and failed.
- Finally, however, he ran for the highest office in the land and Abe Lincoln became the 16th,
and many consider our greatest, President of the United States.
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common
than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.”
Follow your dream.
Take consistent, positive action in whatever way you can.
Anything is possible!
The MEGA Coach