Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

The X Factor final 7 results show – Astro and Drew go home

posted by Joanne Brokaw

YouTube Preview Image

Astro had the lowest number of votes, based on this performance Wednesday night

On tonight’s episode of The X Factor, two contestants went home and five moved on to the next round. My prediction would have been that Marcus Canty would have been one of the contestants headed home (he was in the bottom two last week) and maybe Astro.

After a recap of last night’s performances (you can see the final 7 contestant’s videos in this post), host Steve Host announced that Chris Rene, Melanie Amaro and Rachel Crow were through, leaving Drew, Astro, Marcus and Josh. One of them was through, one had the lowest votes, and the other two would sing.

I predicted Marcus to go home, Drew to go through, and Josh and Astro to sing off. Was I wrong, or what? Josh was through, Astro went home, and Marcus and Drew had a sing off.

Poor Drew was a bundle of nerves; she looked like she might melt into whoever was standing next to her. Marcus had been in the sing off position before so he was a little more composed.

Here are Drew’s and Marcus’ performances from last night; do you think they deserved to be in the bottom?:

YouTube Preview Image

YouTube Preview Image

Drew, as expected, knocked her “save me” song out of the park; of the two she’s undoubtedly the most talented. Marcus warbled out his song. He doesn’t sing as well, but he’s more energetic on stage.

Here’s the thing: both of them are super likeable, really genuine and sincere, and would not only make great recording artists but nice role models for fans.  But the final decision was the judges:

LA commented on how hard he’s been on Drew all season (for no reason, I might add, and not always in a very professional manner), and said that he really was torn in his decision, but he sent Drew home.

Simon apologized for putting Drew in this position and took responsibility for her slow song choice, then commented that it was the second time Marcus was in the bottom and he believed the person America wanted to continue was Drew; he sent Marcus home and begged the other judges to give her another chance.

Nicole, who has been as constantly critical of Drew as LA, for ridiculous reasons that have nothing to do with her talent but with their bickering with Simon, sent Drew home.

And Paula, who we all know can’t make a decision, was put in the position of breaking a tie. Send home Marcus, they go to deadlock and the contestant with the lowest number of votes goes home. Pick Drew, and she’s out. She said she was looking for a save me song that moved her … and more quickly than she usually decides, it was goodbye, Drew.

Drew was bawling hyserically while she hugged Marcus. (Just a thought: fans gave Astro a hard time for being a brat; being a crybaby isn’t really very attractive either. Can we coach these kids to be gracious onstage and break down offstage?) Simon refused to comment when Steve Jones asked if he had anything to say (Drew cried, Simon threw the tantrum). Melanie and Rachel came out to hug Drew, Jones introduced her recap and kind of threw his hands up in the air because no one was cooperating (poor Steve. It’s not an easy job wrangling these cats).

In the end, though, when asked for her last words, Drew blurted out, “Jesus love all of you guys,” adding that she felt like she was there to say that. (For more thoughts on why so many Christian contestants are showing up on shows like this, check out this post from a few years ago about Christian contestants on American Idol.)

Anyway, the final five performing next week are Chris, Melanie, Rachel, Josh and Marcus. They’ll each sing two songs, one of which will be chosen by fans. Until then, what do you think about tonight’s results?

Maria

posted December 1, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Drew has an unusual voice and will go on to make millions as a professional recording artist. I thought Marcus would have been sent home. I believe tonight’s results were a struggle between the judges…

Juj

posted December 1, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I can’t stand Paula or Nicole!

Julio Prado

posted December 1, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Shame, shame, shame The X Factor Usa, Drew X Marcus. Top 5: Chis, Marcus, Josh, Melanie & Rachel. Why The X Factor USA? I was waiting for nothing.

mike

posted December 1, 2011 at 11:46 pm

How unprofessional of Paula and Nicole, they only sent drew home because of their beef with simon. What is that teaching kids watching the shows? To let personal problems effect executive decisions? Unbelievable.

Malik

posted December 1, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I think Astro and Drew should of stayed. Josh Krajcick and Rachel Crow should have went home.

lou

posted December 2, 2011 at 12:08 am

Astro was a shock, but Marcus deserved to go. That was his second week in the bottom two. Paula and Nicole already knew who they were going to send home. They stood up and cheered for Marcus before he even came out. How was that fair?

Jay

posted December 2, 2011 at 12:08 am

I think it was Drew’s time to go home. It’s a shame she couldn’t compose herself a bit better and be more gracious in losing. All of the other contestants who have lost have been better sports and not treated it like the end of the world. Astro handled it with class tonight. And Simon showed no class whatsoever. It’s like he expected all three of his girls to win it. I’m glad Nicole and Paula stood up to him after him practically demanding they bring Drew back.

jada

posted December 2, 2011 at 12:09 am

Simon shouldn’t have given Drew all those slow ‘safe’ songs ALL the time. He should have switched it up. As talented as Drew is, she’s going to need to diversify the tempo just like Adele did with Rolling in the Deep and Taylor Swift does with You Belong With Me and Love Story. This will keep her music from going stale and capture a wider audience. She’s got the talent and the unique voice, but she should have given more variety to prove that she is really ready for the real music world.

janet

posted December 2, 2011 at 12:45 am

Completely wrong that Drew would go home and Marcus would be in the final five? REALLLLY strange. Drew is so much better than Marcus, it’s just weird. I don’t know how the two women judges could act with such a lack of integrity as to send Drew home just to make a point to Simon. Come on people grow up!! I hope that Drew goes on to be a huge huge star and that she gets the help she needs and guidance she needs to mature as she becomes a super star. I think that Simon would be, obviously, the one to to that, but if he doesn’t I hope another producer steps up and takes her on.

Maria

posted December 2, 2011 at 12:52 am

I lose my respect for Paula tonight. I truly believe she sent Drew home for personal reason with her bickering with Simon. I expected her to put the decision on deadlock. After all, Marcus has been on the bottom for 2 consecutive weeks. I adore both Marcus and Drew, but I believe Drew should of stayed. I totally understand Drew losing her composure, she’s just 14 and must haven’t been ready for this moment. Astro and Marcus already been on that position twice, and must have emotionally prepared somehow. Remember how ugly Astro reacted at his first at-the-bottom position ha?!

JanW

posted December 2, 2011 at 1:14 am

X-Factor has been a terrible disappointment. Like others have noted, the judges personal battles ruin it for the contestants. Even more I do not think any of the contestants get a fair shake. IMHO I wish they would give one performer from each music category, pop, hip hop, groups, etc. Surely they could afford to give more than one winner a music contract. I think the Rene hip hop guy is ideal for a Pepsi commercial and may win, although he is not my favorite. I think so many more talented performers already went home.

Kathy

posted December 2, 2011 at 1:29 am

Why are the judges so critical of eachother? This competition is supposed to be about the contestants, and not the judges. I think Nichole is the worst of all. She is always putting down contestants becasue of the “beef” between her and Simon. There are no impartial judges except for Simon. He usually speaks the truth, no matter how it comes across to others.

Xergy

posted December 2, 2011 at 3:16 am

Drew never changed it up. She’s a great singer, but IMO…most or all of her songs the same. She needed to dive deeper and loosen up. The old IDOL Simon would have caught that after the 3rd week. Not sure what this new X-Simon was thinking. Sitting through that Beatles song sealed her fate. I think she was losing votes after the third week. Surprised Renae has made it this far. He doesn’t have a good voice and his drug story is a yawner with too much baggage. Marcus is a dark horse. For me the line-up is Josh, Melanie, Marcus, Rachel and I’m still not sure how Chris Renae is still there…so be it. He’ll likely gather the fall out from Astro. In the end, I think it will be between Melanie and Josh and Josh will take it home.

Liz

posted December 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

So glad that Drew went home. She doesn’t have enough talent to sing up tempo songs. When she barely tested the waters in her performances her pitch was all over the place. I don’t think it’s fair to blame Simon because Drew likes to take songs and slow them down to her own beat. And to be honest, even though Wednesday night was a slow song again, it was one of her best performances, I must admit. She didn’t have enough diversity. It is a shame however that Astro went home. He is unbelievably talented. Probably for the best though because as Paula said, Jay-Z definitely has his eyes on him. He’s probably on a plane now to Jay’s house now. Next to go….Chris Rene please. This kid is sooo brutal! I have no clue how he’s been able to stay in the competition for so long. Probably because he has a story.

claire

posted December 2, 2011 at 10:56 am

I am happy Drew finally goes home , she is boring and kind of arrogant talking about her talent ( give me a brake ) . Simon is so arrogant too , i am happy he finally realise he is choosing the wrong songs for the girls , because now – may be – he will do a better job at picking songs for Rachel Crow . He is completly ruining Rachel with the songs he chooses for her and that is too bad because she is such a great singer . Thanks to Paula and Nicole to send Drew home and give a lesson to Simon as he is out of touch .

Alex

posted December 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Astro & Drew, toodles. It’s about time. Marcus and Chris, you’re next. :-)

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »