Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

The X Factor top 10 results show – Lakoda Rayne stays, Astro in the bottom two, and Stacy goes home

posted by Joanne Brokaw

YouTube Preview Image

My favorite performance of “rock night” was Josh Krajcik. Not only was he good, he sang a rock song.

Tonight’s X Factor results show offered up a surprise early on as the field was whittled down from 10 to 9 contestants: Lakoda Rayne wasn’t in the bottom two. And it got more crazy as the night went on.

Usually we have to sit through about 48 minutes of crap to get the resuls, which are then rushed. The contestants performed “We Will Rock You”, and then host Steve Jones put a spin on the results by announcing just a few minutes into the show that LeRoy Bell and Lakoda Rayne were moving on to the next round. That meant that one of the other judges would be sending home one of their contestants.

Had Lakoda Rayne gone home, that would have put all of Paula’s contestants out of the competition, so it’s nice that Steve Jones gave her that relief early.

Then we had a mini Sony promotion, as the contestants has a photo shoot and got new cameras. After that, another promo as Rihanna performed her latest single, “We Found Love.” I had no clue what she was singing; all I saw was flashing lights and a lot of jumping around. I’m sure it’s a nifty song in the dance club but the lights, the dancers, it was all overload … well, now I’m just griping like an old lady, aren’t I? …

Before the next break, Steve Jones put four more contestants out of the misery, as he announced that Chris Rene, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Marcus Canty were moving on.

Drew and Rachel are on the verge of tears, and Stacy Francis is stunned; Astro seems fine as he waits. Steve Jones announces that Drew is through; Rachel is tearing up, and then he announces that she’s through – leaving Stacy and Astro as the bottom two acts.

What?? Stacy, I can see; she’s struggling. I expected Marcus or Lakoda Rayne to be in the bottom.  Or may be even Drew; she’s so good and I love her, but last night was boring. But Astro?  Judge for yourself; here are videos from Stacy and Astro’s performances from last night:

YouTube Preview Image

Actually, I don’t see Astro’s video … maybe I can track it down … although just watching Stacy’s performance it’s kind of clear why she’s in the bottom two.

Anyway, Stacy can’t even talk when Steve asks her how she’s feeling; Astro, on the other hand, tells the audience that it’s all good, that hip hop made it this far, no worries.

I feel badly for Stacy; she’s so talented and really deserves a chance to go to the end, but I don’t think Nicole has been doing her any favors as her mentor. For her last chance song, she sings “Amazing Grace”; she sounds off key again tonight. Poor Stacy.

Astro comes out and says he doesn’t think he should perform but asks the audience and LA if he should … not sure if it’s part of the act or not. But he does “Never Can Say Goodbye” with his signature rap about the show and judges and his X Factor experience.

When it’s time for the judges to make their choice, LA calls Astro out on his attitude – guess it wasn’t part of the act. He really is being a brat. LA tells him he acted like a quitter “and it upsets me.”, calling him on his lackluster performance. But in the end, he sends Stacy home.

Nicole says she has admiration for both, but sticks with her girl and votes to send Astro home.

Paula says she respects them both and their performances tonight keep them in the same boat, for her. But she comments that they both need to have an attitude of gratitude, telling them, “It’s not how you start but how you finish.” She sends Stacy home.

That leaves Simon in the deciding position again. Vote for Stacy, she goes home. Vote for Astro, they go to the deadlock, and the contestant that got the actual least number of audience votes goes home. But Simon wants Astro to know that he doesn’t like his attitude. To which Astro replies, “If you’re gonna put me in the bottom two I don’t want to perform for people who don’t want me here.” For a moment, it looks like Simon might vote for Astro – the crowd is most definitely not interested in keeping him; they’re booing for Astro, cheering for Stacy. But in the end Simon picks Stacy to go home.

When the show started tonight, I would have picked Stacy as well, just because she’s been struggling so much. But after watching Astro cop that bratty attitude, he proved what the judges have concerned with all along: He’s too young for this kind of pressure. At this point, they should have let him go and given Stacy the chance to continue to grow. Not that her goodbye thank you was all that sentimental, but you can see that she’s battling thankfulness for being there with the harsh reality that she’s done. I can’t imagine that’s easy for someone who has worked so hard and at least she tried.

So that was the twist on tonight’s X Factor. What do you think – should Astro have been sent home? Or did the judges get it right?

Former AStronut

posted November 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Astro deserved to go home tonight. He needs a good dose of humility.

Bon Jovi Not so Much fan

posted November 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Astro should have went

Robin

posted November 17, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Astros comment and attitude was unacceptable. He should have been sent home. For the judges to keep him just teaches other kids its ok to have a bad attitude as long as you have talent. We now know Astros true character and I’m disappointed he is still there. I hope his mother straightens out that attitude and I hope the public doesn’t vote for him anymore!

Lorraine

posted November 17, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Simon should have got rid of astro on day 1 like I think he wanted to. He had a bad attitude then and he hasn’t learned anything the past few weeks. He doesn’t deserve loyal fans.

Lily

posted November 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Heres the thing- Stacy and Astro should NOT have been in the bottom two. I’m not sure what the hell happened there.
Lakoda Rayne needs to leave. Or Leroy. Or both.

However, in regards to Astro’s attitude:
yes, he has attitude.
But here’s the thing.
It’s all part of his image. Not to mention that although he was being rude and pretending to not care, he was crying. It was all a defensive mechanism; I mean he is who he is. And Astro getting upset on national television isn’t exactly something he’s used to.
He is by far the most original and creative contestant on the show.
I mean, he writes all his own lyrics! Who else can say they do that?
No matter what happens, either if he wins or not, Astro is the real deal. And he will be moving on.

Joanne Brokaw

posted November 18, 2011 at 8:50 am

I agree that it was a defense mechanism – that’s why I think his age and ability to handle this are more of a factor than his attitude.

And yes – how is Lakoda Rayne still there???

Diane

posted November 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I have liked Astro’s rapping, but his attitude tonight was terrible. Based on his attitude and disrespect not only to the judges but also to the people who voted for him, he should have gone home. He will not go far with that type of behavior. You never know, the people who have supported him just might send him home next week.

R D

posted November 17, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I am sick after watching tonight’s show. This is what is wrong with this world. The judges let a little inconsiderate spoiled disrespectful person get away with the crap we all had to watch tonight. I will not watch this crap again. Sorry to say this because I did like some of the talent.

informed opinion

posted November 17, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Stacy was terrible. I would have freaked out if they kept her. She had no business being on that stage. Astro is by far my favorite on the show, and i think his attitude is what will make him great and make him famous. His demeanor and attitude will hurt his vote with idiots and old people. But sometimes you have to be real and say how you feel…like Ali used to do

kit

posted November 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Send Astro home he is a spoiled brat.
If he is not sent home next week, I am not watching the spoiled kid with a bad attitude anymore.

dee dee

posted November 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Yes. Astro’s attitude should have sent him home!

Brian

posted November 17, 2011 at 11:26 pm

People really need to realize a few things. Everything you see of most every contestant on this show is what they have been taught to do. Astro’s attitude is part of his image, not to mention that he is barely even a teenager. Yes, maybe he reacted poorly, but arms crossed, scowl on his face, with tears coming out? That’s a defense mechanism for a boy who has grown up in the ghetto where he has to be tough. He doesn’t want America to see him like that. I get it. I’m not upset. Plus, his comment about hip hop making it this far and him being happy with it, I cannot agree more.

To all of you saying Stacy shouldn’t have gone home, here’s my problem. This show is for people trying to make it somewhere who haven’t had the chance before. She has had MANY chances, look it up. She fails every time and shouldn’t of been allowed to stay on the show once it all came out. Same goes for Leroy Bell, he had his chance and a top 10 single before.

Now, if we are going to grind this down to the bare essentials and pull out who will do the best, or is the best (not who will win), the decisions are easy.

Best male singer (BY FAR) is Josh. No question.

Best female singer is Drew. She is unique, original, and would sell MILLIONS of albums. Melanie is amazing, don’t get me wrong, but she is boring and unoriginal. Her type of music isn’t big in the world right now.

Best performer is Astro, hands down, no question. Win, or lose, this kid will make it and I will go out on a limb and say regardless he will sell more albums than any other two (maybe even three) contestants combined. He writes his own lyrics, he has the attitude you need, and man this kid is creative. Marcus is a great performer, but Astro’s creativity really takes him above and beyond.

Who will win, it really depends on how America votes, but THAT, right there is how it boils down. I don’t think Astro will win as I did before, his hip hop fans are already leaving, but I also sense a bit of a Chris Daughtry situation where fans stopped voting because he was doing so well and they figured he’d win anyways.

Joanne Brokaw

posted November 18, 2011 at 8:56 am

I agree – Josh was by far the best this week. And I like Rachel a lot when she’s not doing stupid, tweeny-bop productions. Blech. Drew is definitely the most unique, but it can be a bit boring. But she sticks with her sound and image and that’s super. I don’t know much about hip hop, but Astro definitely grew on me. But I think this type of competition is too much for him right now. The pressure to perform, conform, and then stand there and have strangers pick you apart isn’t easy. If he could be mentored off the show he’d definitely fare much better.

I think LeRoy, Lakoda Rayne (when are they leaving??) and Marcus will go soon. I love Marcus, but his performances are more caberet covers. I think Melanie has a fantastic voice, and we may see her, Josh, Drew and Rachel at the end, probably with Chris Rene. Whoever wins will have charisma on his/her side, I think, and I could be fine with any of them winning.

Angry in florida

posted November 18, 2011 at 12:42 am

That young man should have been sent home on bad attitude alone . The message sent to youth across Anerica is bad behavior reaps reward . Shame on you x factor , shame on you Simon for voting for the person you believe had the better chances of winning rather then the person that showed greater grace and dignity and humility. We all know the show is a glorified reality show. So if your showing reality and your pandering to the audience then YOU Simon should have known that America would never tolerate a spoiled brat . We would of respected your opinion more had you sent that kid home. And the sad thing is you knew the vote was wrong when you cast it. Ive always thought your assessments and opnions were spot on ..NOT THIS TIME SIMON as producer/owner of the show you had a morality issue to address and you blew it !

Don't like punks

posted November 18, 2011 at 12:51 am

People keep wanting to give him a pass because he is a kid. That is why kids have that kind of attitude in the first place, nobody setting them straight. He should have gone home. Will he have a career sure LA will hire him tomorrow (good luck with the attitude there). But the attitude he presented was disrespectful to all the contestants, judges and us as the fans of the show. No wonder this show is suffering in the ratings… Boot him off !! Maybe this will help him grow up as a fine man and he will still have a career.

Janet

posted November 18, 2011 at 7:51 am

Before last night, I thought Astro was the clear winner because of his originality, creativity, and even age. Now, however, his age, or lack of maturity is what is hindering his success on the show. His bad attitude and lack of humility isn’t going to get him any fans. We all witnessed how quickly the crowd turned on him after he copped an attitude. I would not be surprised to see him in the bottom again or even going home soon, which is sad since he is so talented.

Sally

posted November 19, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Astro hater? Join my facebook page………”Astro’s gotta go” bash him, Let’s bash him until this little PUNK is GONE!!!!

Joanne Brokaw

posted November 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Aw, Sally, that’s not nice.

Chantelle

posted November 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Ok what ever his feeling was hurt he was hurttin LET HIM MAKE IT! YEAH he should have come out better but dam he is still a kid give him a break… Yes this MIGHT SET HIM BACK… I’M PRETTY SURE if he don’t make it here somebody will sign him up… JAY Z ECT… THE BOY IS A STAR… he still got my VOTES….

Cahaya

posted November 21, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Not sure you got it right in your reviews to the performances, calling virtually all of them boring.

The judges made the right call. Astro’s time to go will some soon.