Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Will Downhere’s Marc Martel be the next Freddie Mercury? You decide!

posted by Joanne Brokaw

YouTube Preview Image

The guys in the band Downhere are some of my most favorite people in Christian music, so I just had to share this with you:

As part of this year’s celebration of Queen’s 40th anniversary, Queen drummer/songwriter/singer Roger Taylor is launching an American talent search to offer musicians the opportunity to star in the Queen Extravaganza Live Tour, scheduled to hit the road in 2012.

And Downhere lead vocalist Marc Martel is auditioning for … well, lead vocalist.

It takes a lot to compare yourself to Freddie Mercury, but fortunately, Martel is up to the comparison. He’s got one of the best and most unique voices in music, and if anyone can bring the whole Freddy Mercury package to the tour, it’s Marc.

Don’t take my word for it. Check out his audition (above), which has almost half a million views on its first day up on the Queen Extravaganza contest site.

According to the site, the contest works like this:

The audition process involves two video audition rounds to be judged by both a panel of appointed judges and the public. Taylor will be present to judge the final audition round, which will be held live in Los Angeles in early December. In addition, VEVO, the world’s leading music video and entertainment platform, will unveil exclusive content from each audition round as well as The Queen Extravaganza finals.

The final decisions will be made entirely by Roger Taylor. And this isn’t a tribute band; it’s a band that’ll bring the music of Queen to a new generation. Honestly, I’m not describing this in any way that’s nearly as exciting as it really is. I mean … QUEEN? And Marc front and center? How flipping cool would that be?

The first round will be whittle down to 50 by specially selected Queen judges. Round 2 will then open the voting to fans. So go view Marc’s video, leave comments, and get ready to vote in November. Because, really. No one holds a candle to him. You can learn more about the Queen Extravaganza on the show’s website.

PS: I got so excited that I totally forgot to tell you that Downhere just released their new album, “The Altar of Love.” I love everything these guys do. You can learn  more about the band on their website.

Mike

posted September 22, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I’m not seeing why this is a good thing?

Joanne Brokaw

posted September 23, 2011 at 12:16 am

I’m not sure what you mean. Queen is a classic rock band, Marc is an unbelievable vocalist. What a great opportunity for him!

BubbaT

posted September 23, 2011 at 11:28 am

Being a singer in a Christian band, I can see a conflict of interest in the Christian community with Marc portraying a gay singer.

But being a Christian myself, I believe this is one of those times we should all forgive & forget. Marc is clearly the best choice I’ve seen and Freddie’s sexuality shouldn’t be an issue, as he was an amazing singer/performer.

A great opportunity for fans of Marc and Queen.

deb

posted September 23, 2011 at 12:33 pm

How is this a good thing? If a pastor leaves a church, and becomes a bartender, and makes more money and has lots of friends, is that a good thing? He was given talent by God to serve him. Tell me how does Queen serve God? Walking away from ministry is not good. I’m glad I got to hear him sing for the Lord.

Joanne Brokaw

posted September 23, 2011 at 12:45 pm

First, ministry happens outside the church. Second, who said he’d be leaving his current situation? Just curious. I’ve know a lot of bartenders who’ve offered a lot more counsel, kindness and godly guidance than some pastors I’ve met.

jim

posted September 23, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Wow. some of you guys amaze me. this guy has a voice like no other. and as a Christian, he will behave in such a manner. do you not think this would be a good opportunity to spread the word for him? do you guys drive cars? do you sit on furniture? do you watch tv? do you play sports? well guess what? not everybody who makes cars, makes furniture, makes tv, and plays sports are Christians either.

Joanne Brokaw

posted September 23, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Marc really is a great guy, a solid Christian, a super talented musician. If he ended up winning this thing, I think it would be FANTASTIC!!!!

Johnny

posted September 23, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Check out Marc’s Bohemian Rhapsody cover with the band of Renaissance Church in Summit, NJ.

Steve cripe

posted September 24, 2011 at 7:25 am

Should have the lead for the band instead of Paul Rodgers,Uncanny,Freddie reincarnated as a christian?

Pingback: Marc Martel’s Queen Extravaganza audition profiled in the Wall Street Journal - Gospel Soundcheck

greg

posted September 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm

OK….not necessarily a Christian music fan but very much a huge Freddy fan. This is the first guy I have ever heard who could do him justice. When I closed my eyes I thought it was Freddy. Hands down winner here.

Michael

posted September 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Freddie Mercury never discussed his sexuality when he was alive. Everyone saying he was bisexual, but I’m content with his own words, and he never said such. He was very shy and private person. And he was Zoroastrian, many of his songs are about God, believe it or not, he had have a great deal of respect for different confessions. He was born in Zanzibar.

I believe religions worship different gods, but really deep down they feel there’s only one. They call him many names, but it’s still there.

Frederick was a believer, so he should be treated like a brother. I don’t give a crap about all the paparazzi buzz arond.

Tracey

posted September 29, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I’ve met Marc a few times as we’ve had Downhere for concerts at our church. He is the most humbly talented musician (as well as the other dudes in Downhere) and totally deserves the attention for all the grueling time he’s spent in ministry. Downhere is one of those bands that do Christian music as a ministry not just a job and a paycheck. They’ve done concerts for us for almost nothing just to help our church out. I love their music and think Marc is gonna rock this contest!

Heather

posted October 4, 2011 at 11:37 am

We saw him singing on Ellen yesterday… AMAZING VOICE… but we already knew because we have listened to him for years.

We were asked to review his band’s (Downhere) – new CD … check it out at http://www.7Cubed.org. We have been BIG fans and will stay that way for him and his band!

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »