Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Funeral Services Announced for Rev. Timothy Wright

posted by Joanne Brokaw

RevTimothyandBettyWright.jpgFuneral arrangements and services have been announced for Rev. Timothy Wright, who passed away last week as a result of injuries sustained in a car accident last July that took the lives of his wife Betty and grandson D.J.
There will be two “lay in state public viewings”, a musical celebration, and then a homegoing ceremony:

Lay In State Public Viewing
Saturday, May 2, 2009
12 noon – 8 pm
Grace Tabernacle Christian Center COGIC
1745 Pacific Street (between Utica and Schenectady Avenues)
Brooklyn, NY 11213
Lay In State Public Viewing
Sunday, May 3, 2009
1 pm – 5 pm
Grace Tabernacle Christian Center COGIC
1745 Pacific Street (between Utica and Schenectady Avenues)
Brooklyn, NY 11213
Musical Celebration
Sunday May 3, 2009
6 pm
Pilgrim Renaissance Cathedral
1338 Broadway (corner of Gates Avenue and Broadway)
Brooklyn, NY 11221
Archbishop Roy Brown, Pastor
Homegoing Celebration
Monday, May 4, 2009
10 am
Pilgrim Renaissance Cathedral
1338 Broadway (corner of Gates Avenue and Broadway)
Brooklyn, NY 11221
Archbishop Roy Brown, Pastor
For more information, please visit Rev. Wright’s MySpace page.
If I could make one suggestion: please, please, please be patient if you attend any of these ceremonies. There will undoubtedly be a great number of people there, if the response Mrs. Wright and D.J. services last summer were any indication. I heard from a lot of people back then who complained that they weren’t able to get into the service, or weren’t able to speak directly with the family. Please, please understand that the family is dealing with a great deal of emotion; four services will be extremely exhausting, and I assure that even though they will not be able to speak to everyone personally, they appreciate your love and prayers.
Thank you all for your prayers for the Wright family; I know they appreciated them all.
Get the Gospel Soundcheck headlines delivered daily to your email inbox. Just sign up for the RSS feed by going to the “Subscribe” box on the right hand side of this blog and entering your email address. And follow me on Twitter!

Your Name

posted April 27, 2009 at 4:22 pm

A wonderful soldier has gone on to be the Lord. The bible says “Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.”
I pray for the comfort of the family that was left behind. God will see you through.

Patrick Brown

posted April 27, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Rev Wright was an example of kindness and holiness without weakness. He led the COGIC Music Department in his own right. He was a blessing to the entire body of Christ. When I saw him for the first time in a rehearsal in Memphis, I thought “there is a nice man” He was an example for me. Some one to look up to for guidance in music. Although he never knew me from any one else, I studied him from a distance. That’s how I learned how to appreciate men of God who had the right spirit. He will be missed. I pray that his family look up and live for he left so much for us to live for in music.
God Bless you

Sheron Denson

posted April 27, 2009 at 11:27 pm

My continued prayer will always be with the family, church members and fans. When I kneel in prayer tonight, I will thank God for the Godfather of gospel music… Rev. Timothy Wright. He has touched my life through his gospel music. I wish that I could be there in NY during his Lay in State, Musical Celebration and Memorial Services. I will always remember the time he attended my church (St John Baptist Church in Grand Praire, TX) and he did a musical and the church was packed. I had invited a male friend of mine, who had not given his life to christ but Rev. Timothy Wright’s music touched him and he said to me after the concert that “There was never a dull moment in the church and he felt like he was at a concert but only we were praising God”. Thank you God once again for letting him give us his music and now we can carry on.

Your Name

posted April 28, 2009 at 10:40 am

Music have been one of the passion of Rev.Wright,he is an angel singer
and he will join the angels in heaven singing praises for God in all
eternity.I think in eternity,each one of us who can enter there will
have task or job to do for serving our God according to your talents
you develope and share in this life.Like Rev.Wright,i believe he will
be singing praises for God in and for eternity.To the family of
Rev.Wright,may the Lord Bless them always…

Barbara Herndon

posted April 28, 2009 at 10:50 am

A man with a quiet spirit and a mighty voice. To God be the glory for having this wonderful presence among us. Sorrow and celebration: sorrow for the space vacant, yet I celebrate his encouragement and witness and having heard him.
To the family – one day at a time. Christ is there all the time.

Your Name

posted April 28, 2009 at 12:09 pm

A great man of God went home to be with the lord. my condolences to his family memebers that he left behind. He will be truly missed.

Beverly

posted April 28, 2009 at 12:39 pm

My prayers goes out to the Wright Family.
Truly Pastor Wright will be missed in the Gospel industry. My favorite songs were “Who’s on the Lord’s size, For the rest of my life, and Jeus, Jeus, Jesus (from Katrina). He had an unique voice of his own. Not only could he sing, but he was anointed to sing.
May you rest in peace!

Your Name

posted April 28, 2009 at 6:06 pm

I have not and will not stop praying for the Wright family. Since July, this has been on mines and many of our Houston prayer partner’s list. Rev. Wright is loved in “the south!” We will always be greatful for God’s gifts through him. My daughter and one of the son’s are good friends. If he is any indication of the other children, then their greatest legacy is definitely in their righteous seed. I cannot nor will not attempt to imagine this loss (and, DJ and Mrs. Wright). To do so would do a diservice to this family. But, I do believe they are not grieving as those without hope. Still, they have to go through “all” the facets of grief (compounded). Please allow them that; don’t question their faith or their trust in our Lord. They just need to grieve, as we all would. “For some reason,” one of Rev. Wright’s and his wife’s last (or last few) songs was “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.” From now on when I think of the family, I will utter those words, knowing that “What seems impossible to us, really is possible with God.” I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THE TRIUMPH THAT SOMEDAY COMES FROM THIS TRAGEDY. My sincerest condolences, respect and gratitude to DW and the entire Wright family.
Mrs. C

Your Name

posted April 29, 2009 at 9:51 am

I can not express to you the sadness for the passing of your loved ones. I sent an email when your mother and DJ passed and prayed every day for God’s comfort to surround you and be your strength,(and I know God did just that.) I now come to your side again in pain and sadness as you have now loss such a wonderful man of God Pastor Timothy Wright. As my favorite gospel singer of all times I will forever remember the songs he wrote. I got strength in the music God blessed him to write. I am so painfully sorry because his voice is now silent but he reigns with the Father in heaven. Thank God that we have hope in Christ and that we will see all of them again. Be encouraged to know that God allowed these events to occur and His will and purpose will come forth. Be encouraged to know that he is not considered one that you lost because we know where he resides and that is with Christ. I will always thank God for the gift that he allow us to share with you, Elder Timothy Wright. God bless and keep you all in Jesus’s name.

Your Name

posted April 29, 2009 at 2:50 pm

To the Wright Family: God is still in charge. He is gone from this side, but he will see you on the other side. Just know Timothy Wright is not alone. He is happy and free from all of this world trials and pains. May God bless and keep you in His care. Get closer to the Master and one day you will meet again.
Peaches Thomas
Alcorn State University
Lorman, Mississippi

Robert & Jennifer Fortson

posted April 30, 2009 at 9:31 pm

We were extremely sadden to hearing of the homegoing of a wonderful man of God. Our church choir was blessed to sing with Pastor Timothy Wright in Pendleton, SC. a few years ago. Pastor Wright not only sung with our choir, but combined two choirs that night and we had a wonderful time in the Lord. A fabulous singer as well as a wonderful preacher…we will never forget him…We say to the family, be encouraged and continue to live in your father’s legacy. He is now with your mother and grandson…can you imagine them singing, JESUS! JESUS! JESUS!….we will continue to pray for your family as he gives you the peace that passeth all understanding.
Ministers of Music- Robert & Jennifer Fortson
and the New Hope Full Gospel Baptist Church Choir
Hartwell, Georgia

Augustus C. Cofield, Jr.

posted May 1, 2009 at 1:17 pm

To the Sons of Pastor Timothy Wright:
Having met Pastor Wright back in the early 80′s, when I had the privilege of joining and attending a James Cleveland workshop, it was an honor to emcounter the personality and spirit of such a warm, caring and down-to-earth gentleman. You all have my deepest sympathy and knowing that there is no distance in prayer, I will keep you and the family in prayer. In memory and honor of your father, several other ministers of music in our area of North Carolina are devoting our ministry of music this Sunday to the many melodies that your father shared with the entire USA. May God richly bless and sustain you in this hour.
Augustus C. Cofield, Jr.
Minister of Music
First Baptist Church, Roanoke Rapids, NC

Aquanetta E Issac

posted May 1, 2009 at 8:11 pm

To The Wright Family: My deepest condolence go out to you and your family in the homegoing celebration of your father “Pastor Timothy Wright”. I had the pleasure of meeting him and singing with him and the Church of God In Christ State Choir several years ago at the Holy Convention in Houston Tx. And one of the fondest memories I can remember him tell the Choir that night just before service began was that his songs are easy to learn. I can teach them to you in the morning and that evening you already know the words- thats just how simple my songs are but with great meaning and conviction. Let it be resolved, To God be the Glory For A great man of God who will truley be missed but never forgotten. Aquanetta E Issac Youth Choir Director BonWier COGIC, Bon Wier, Tx

Your Name

posted May 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I am so versorry that I am unable to be there in the city to attend the services bout moy prayers are with the Wright family and the many friends and co-workers in the gospel so that God is in control and He will not leave you comfortless.
Love in Christ

Texas Funeral Homes

posted May 4, 2009 at 6:46 am

The God give Patience to Timothy Wright’s family. My prayers alway with his family.

Brother Curtis Walker and Sister Evangeline Walker

posted May 4, 2009 at 3:35 pm

May God bless and keep the Wright family in his perfect peace. Remember all of the good times that you had together, and that you will see them again. God bless and keep you and your family.

Elder Yolanda R. Collins

posted May 6, 2009 at 9:09 am

Peace,
I had the pleasure of being on the choir of New Life Tabernacle when recording a cd with Reverend Timothy Wright. It was truly a pleasure seeing this man of God at work helping and encouraging others to praise God in song. I have been blessed. My daughter Tiffany Taylor has also fond memories of both First Lady Betty Wright and Reverend Timothy Wright. We are praying for the sons and entire family and friends. May you continue to do God’s will, and may your lives be filled with much love, joy and peace.
We Love You

Your Name

posted May 12, 2009 at 2:24 pm

To the family of Pastor Wright I would like to give my heart felt condolences for the tremendous loss that you all are enduring. I am and employee of Willis Broadcasting in Norfolk, Virginia, I am a member of the radio choir for our stations. Last summer I found myself living a dream and your father was the Vessel that God allowed my dream to come through. Since I moved to Norfolk in 1976 I have dreamed of singing in one of the great waterside festivals that are major events now in our area . On the summer of 2008 at the Afram festival in Norfolk, Va. I found myself on stage singing behind your father and in an out of body experience I realized my long time dream had come true. Your father brought Jesus to the forefront of a otherwise secular day at the festival. The rythym and blues stage had the larger speakers and crowd at first but as the wind carried the power of the holy spirit through your father to the people at the festival we saw the people turn to hear and become a part of what God had given your father and his son for this day. I will have this memory in my heart each day of my life. I will never be the same because of that day and I will look for your dad in Glory and pray that he can use another alto to help him sing the new songs that he has written. Please keep the legacy alive , Please keep the legacy alive. May God bless and keep you as only he can.
Eva E. Williams

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »