Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

American Idol Top 5 Results – Who’s Going Home?

posted by Joanne Brokaw

AmericanIdolRatPack.JPGLast night, the remaining five American Idol contestants performed songs from the Rat Pack, and they proved why they’re the best of this season. It’s difficult to predict who’s going home. Even DialIdol.com, which tracks the busy signals for the voting phone lines, has the contestants in a dead heat, with a Kris Allen and Matt Giraud at the bottom of the list, but not by much.
Honestly, it’s tough to call this one. I think Matt may go home, but certainly not because he deserves it. Then again, Allison has been in the bottom three a few times, too. But she wowed the audience last night with her best performance of the season.

We’ll find out tonight! Join me here as I blog live tonight during the American Idol Top 5 results show!

And in case you didn’t see it, I’m going out on a limb and predicting Kris Allen to win this season. Just working a hunch.
8:44 PM – I’m just watching “America’s Next Top Model”; I always forget it’s on on Wednesday night. I usually watch the rerun on Fridays. I love that so many of you are sharing your thoughts on the show! I can’t believe there are only three weeks left!

And we’re off!

Wow, Ryan says that more than 47 million votes were cast last night. That’s a lot of votes! Simon says that last night everybody was good, adding it was one of the best shows at this stage he’s seen. I would agree. Tonight we’ll get performances from Taylor Hicks, Natalie Cole and Jamie Foxx.
The Top 5 are performing “It Don’t Mean A Thing” and “I’ve Got Rhythm. Matt sounds waaay better tonight. In fact, this is seriously the most talented Top 5 I’ve seen. None of them deserve to go home tonight.
Ok, that new Minute Maid fruit juice commercial, where the woman says to the guy on the elevator, “I think you’re the father of one of my kids” and he says, “Spring Break 1999?” but she really is his kids teacher – father of on of her kids, as in students – is hilarious. The first time. Once you know the joke it’s not funny any more. Did I spoil that joke for you?
We’re back! Danny and Allison celebrated birthdays this past week, so they all made cakes. And then had a food fight. OMG, what a mess! Ryan hands Danny an envelope with a bill for the maid service for $6,000, since he started it. Ha ha.
On to the results.
Up first is Matt Giraud, and Ryan sends him to the right side of the stage.
Danny is up next (Ryan’s not calling them in the order they’re standing … hmm ..), and Ryan asks Danny to comment on Simon’s feedback and how he followed the advice. Ryan sends Danny to the left side of the stage.
Allison is up and Ryan sends her to next to Danny.
Kris is up (and the crowd cheers). Ryan sends Kris to stand next to Matt. Hmmm.

Adam is up (he’s is soooo tall, especially standing next to Ryan). Ryan and Adam move to the center of the stage, and Ryan asks Adam which group he thinks he belongs in. It’s awkward when Ryan asks that question and contestants never answer. Adam picks Danny and Allison – and it’s the wrong group!
The bottom three: Kris, Adam and Matt! Holy smokes!! Everyone is shocked. But someone has to go. And Simon gives props to Danny and Allison, who are the top two contestants tonight. Randy reminds everyone that even though they judges have to critique all five of those contestants are great.
So … with that bottom three, who do you think is going home? I’m going out on a limb again and I think Adam and Matt will be the bottom two. Am I crazy? Probably.
Natalie Cole is so classy; what a great way to introduce sophistocated jazzy music to a whole generation of kids. Much better entertainment than crappy rappers and bizarre acts. This whole genre is really the best show Idol has done in a long, long time. Just shows that the music industry doesn’t have to be raunchy or weird. Maybe class will make a comeback. Wow, Natalie Cole is really tall, too!
Even Allison and Danny look a little shocked that they’re safe, and Kris, Matt and Adam are backstage. Taylor Hicks will perform before we find out which of those three are safe.
Taylor Hicks is performing “7 Mile Breakdown” from his new album. This is good stuff. I’ll bet he’s lots of fun live in concert. I’ll bet he’s great in a smaller venue, where it’s easier for the artist to be intimate with the audience. Taylor’s lost some weight; he looks great. He’s touring with “Grease” playing Teen Angel and has a new album out, The Distance.
Oooo, Kris, Matt and Adam are coming out. One of them is safe, and it’s … hold your breath … Kris? … It’s Kris … I’M RIGHT!! I’m telling you … Adam is going to be this season’s Chris Daughtry. I think he’s going to go home before everyone expects him to and then go on to be hugely successful. Just a hunch.
No offense to Jamie Foxx, but after Natalie Cole and Taylor Hicks, he looks ridiculous.
So who goes home? We have Matt, who’s been in the bottom several times, and Adam, who has skated through every week, deservedly so. it would seem like a no brainer that Adam would stay, but this show is tricky tricky tricky. There were a lot of votes cast last night.

Here we go – will it be a shocker? Nope, Adam is safe, Matt goes home. Does that mean that Adam was second to last?

Honestly, this isn’t the last we’ve heard from Matt. He’s already released two indie CDs and a label is going to scoop him up Of course, he owes his time to Idol, for the tour and however long his contract binds him to them. But he’s clearly got a huge fanbase, and as he says, he’s the “cat with nine lives.”
So here’s the big question: the judges used their save on him, knowing that he probably couldn’t win. But it kept in the competition for two more weeks. Do you think that the judges save influenced the competition at all? Would we have a different final 4 if Matt had gone home two weeks ago? Personally, I think that judges’ save is a crock.

Well, hats off to Matt Giraud. It’s been a great ride, and he’s a classy, talented guy.

Ha, they have to kill three minutes! Hey, let’s get Paula to talk, that’ll kill some time. Kara says one of the best things they did was save him.

Next week, the final 4 perform rock and roll. That’ll be interesting; Adam should come out on top, and this is Allison’s genre. Danny and Kris will have to do something really unique to shine

RELATED POSTS
American Idol Winner Prediction – I’m Going Out On A Limb With Kris Allen
4 Reasons Why There Are So Many Christian Contestants On American IdolMore on American Idol contestant Danny Gokey and wife Sophia
More American Idol Posts

Get the Gospel Soundcheck headlines delivered daily to your email inbox. Just sign up for the RSS feed by going to the “Subscribe” box on the right hand side of this blog and entering your email address. And follow me on Twitter!

aunt kathy

posted April 29, 2009 at 10:30 am

Gokey was great last night.My personal favorite has been Kris, but last night Gokey and as always Adam made me smile!!Of course they all sang MY music.
This IS a hard year-they are very talented.

Barbara Martin

posted April 29, 2009 at 10:42 am

My favorite has been Danny gokey. He just has something about him. I know fans like Adam Lambert for ‘The Look’ and his voice and following that rocker type personna. Everybody was awesome, so it will be close, but the prediction for the bottom 2, I agree with.

tori

posted April 29, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I LOVE KRIS ALLEN….matt should go home..he is good just not near as good as the other 4

lisa

posted April 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I think it will definitely be Matt tonight.

canyayasis

posted April 29, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I’m thinking it will be Matt – but possibly Allison… ONLY because she doesn’t quite seem to have the strong fan base that the mighty 3 have…. Adam, Danny and Kris…
I was worried about Kris last night and surprised MYSELF by voting for him as many times as I could get through…
I wonder… or do you think ONE person, such as myself – voting 20 times for Kris… ends up mattering???
I guess we’ll find out soon enough – see you guys back here in 6 or so hours!!
Candy

kk

posted April 29, 2009 at 4:20 pm

i love all five its so hard to pick

Joanne Brokaw

posted April 29, 2009 at 4:58 pm

KK, I totally agree. I would be fine with any of then winning. I have my hunches as to who might end up in the final three, just from what I’m gathering about viewers and voters, but this is really the season with great talent!!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

rICHARD

posted April 29, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I think Adam has had it won for several weeks. He is good but his over the top singing style kinda gets on my nerves. He is always given top scores by the judges but I think he has turned into a 1 trick pony. Lets face it can he scream and hit high notes on all the sounds? He gets the high notes from his drag queen days!! I think the producers are set for Adam to win.

Mike

posted April 29, 2009 at 5:19 pm

I am very nervous that Danny may go home tonight. I hope not, but I have this gut reaction that he is going.

Paige

posted April 29, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I hope to God Matt does not go home this week. I thought last night he did fantastic. I voted the entire 2 hours.

canyayasis

posted April 29, 2009 at 8:24 pm

I’m here getting ready for the elimination!
I was worried about Kris…. so i voted the entire 2 hours for him.
Do you think one person voting a few dozen times can really make a difference… I don’t really know the answer to that…
but I was worried about Kris and I really am not ready to not hear him sing again.
We’ll know in about 35 minutes….

Joanne Brokaw

posted April 29, 2009 at 8:39 pm

LOL, Candy! I think Kris is safe. And trust me, if and when he goes, the Christian music industry will be there to scoop him up if mainstream doesn’t!
20 mins to go!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

canyayasis

posted April 29, 2009 at 9:22 pm

WOW! the bottom 3 is so shocking….. NOT KRIS!!!

Joanne Brokaw

posted April 29, 2009 at 9:24 pm

LOL, don’t worry Candy! Your 20 votes definitely helped!
Joanne

Joanne Brokaw

posted April 29, 2009 at 9:40 pm

See? I told you!! Kris isn’t going anywhere. :)
Joanne

canyayasis

posted April 29, 2009 at 9:47 pm

YEAH!!!!! Kris is safe!! This may end up being like Chris Daughtry… everyone thot he’d win – and he was voted off before the finals… and then his career skyrocketed!

Joanne Brokaw

posted April 29, 2009 at 9:50 pm

LOL, we think a like! As you were typing that comment I was typing it in the blog post! :)
Joanne

Your Name

posted April 29, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Matt’s going home…. But Allison’s numbers were surprising – but exciting for her!!

canyayasis

posted April 29, 2009 at 9:56 pm

oops!; that Your Name is me! and now Matt is singing – darn if he doesn’t sound great tonight!

Joanne Brokaw

posted April 29, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I actually thought he sounded off again. The key seemed too low or something. I really like him, though, and I know we’ll hear from him again.
Joanne

TJ

posted April 29, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Hopefully this stays as a singing competition as to who has the best voice and not a popularity contest! if that holds true there is nobody even close to Danny Gokey. He has the best voice and has been the most consistent every week. Adam Lambert is a joke just a sideshow to the main attraction of Danny. Danny and Kris should be the final 2.

Dreamer

posted April 29, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Thank you for the American Idol update as I write a report update each week in my idol fan community. However, I disagree with you. I have been voting Kris off each week this season because I don’t think he has vocals that wow anyone. I believe he has many fans with his character and his looks. My community votes off the contestant before the results are aired. I have lost every week.I still say he will go soon.

Your Name

posted April 30, 2009 at 12:02 am

“I’ll bet he’s lots of fun live in concert.”
You would win that bet! Taylor Hicks is an excellent live performer. His concerts are lots of fun. You have a very nice blog by the way.

Joanne Brokaw

posted April 30, 2009 at 7:54 am

Dreamer & TJ: if I’m being totally honest, talent wise I think all of the top 5 are talented equally in their own right. They’re so different, that it’s like comparing apples to potatoes. Any of them could win and be a success. So now it’s kind of summing up their fans and trying to figure out who viewers will vote for when their favorite goes home. Fans of Danny aren’t going to vote for Adam, and probably vice versa. Fans of Kris might. Fans of Matt … I have a hunch they’ll split between the remaining four, because they respect musicianship and creativity, so they probably like Adam, Kris, Danny and Allison for different reasons. I based my Kris winning prediction on the fact that Danny has kind of been the same old, same old the past few weeks, but man he wowed me again Tuesday. So now, I have no idea. In the end, though, he may end up being the dark horse in the contest.
This is definitely an exciting season with a very talented roster! That’s for sure!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Joanne Brokaw

posted April 30, 2009 at 7:56 am

re: Taylor Hicks comment – thanks! I always liked Taylor Hicks and thought he’d kind of slipped into oblivion. I was glad to see him last night, see he has a new album, and see that he’s way better as an artist than Idol ever showed!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »