Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Christian Music Poll: Should The Newsboys Change Their Name?

posted by Joanne Brokaw

NewsboyswithTait.jpgNewsboys fans got a shock yesterday when it was officially announced that former dcTalk member Michael Tait will be taking over as lead vocalist of one of Christian music’s most popular bands.
While fans seem open to giving Michael Tait a chance, more than a few of you have said that without Peter Furler, the band should change its name. So let’s take a poll:
Should the Newsboys change their name now that there are no original members in the band left in the line up? (And if so, got any suggestions for a new name? dcNews?
You can read more about the news in this post: Is Peter Furler Leaving The Newsboys? Michael Tait Announced As New Lead Singer
Get the Gospel Soundcheck headlines delivered daily to your email inbox. Just sign up for the RSS feed by going to the “Subscribe” box on the right hand side of this blog and entering your email address. And follow me on Twitter!

Dave Weiss

posted March 10, 2009 at 11:14 am

No but they should hire a bass player. It should be ILLEGAL for a rock band to play bass on a keyboard.

Johnny Bornheimer

posted March 10, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I think that whoever owns the name should be the one to decide, but having said that, I’d submit that they are all getting older and so they should change their name to “The Newsmen.” :D
I didn’t know that they don’t employ a bass player on tour. They should…I’ll throw my hat into the ring!

That's all she wrote

posted March 10, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I don’t think they should change the name…the Newsboys fanbase would go into cardiac arrest. I do however, agree w/ Dave Weiss’ comment above…what’s up w/ bass on keyboards?! Stop it Newsboys.
In all this though, I’m more concerned w/ Tait.
The guy is extremely talented, and sadly underrated. I don’t know that this move to Newsboys is a good one. I hate to see him throw his solo carer away, even if it is for a “season” or for a tour.
Life on the road is taxing, and most definitely takes it toll, I can see how Peter might want off that bus (no pun intended!), and how Tait might be itching for it. Honestly though, I’m not liking this change. Maybe it’ll grow on me, but I don’t see it being a good thing for the long term for EITHER party.

Rob

posted March 10, 2009 at 12:26 pm

They shouldn’t change the name. That’s pretty silly in my opinion. However, let me give a completely facetious suggestion. How about “NewsTalk”.

ben garrett

posted March 10, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Is u2 still u2 without Bono? I think not.
Change the name.

Joanne Brokaw

posted March 10, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Ben, that’s a GREAT analogy.
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Jon

posted March 10, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Thats probably the stupidest thing ever if you change the name. Sure, Furler was a mainstay and the lead singer, but so was Phil Joel, you could’ve argued that they needed to change their name after he left. And considering Furler isn’t totally gone, they shouldn’t change it. Its still the Newsboys, just with a different lead singer. John James was lead singer and he left as Furler took over, they didn’t change it then. So why now.

Mark Furler

posted March 10, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Newsboys will always be Newsboys. We shouldn’t forget Peter will still be writing the music and songs. Duncan Phillips is still in the band – and has been around for years – as has Jeff Frankenstein, while Jody’s return has been welcomed by many. Three out of four are long time members. Peter deserves a break – and surely after 22 years of service we should let him sleep in his home a little more, get to see his family in Oz a little more – and enjoy getting involved in a few more missions projects I know he is passionate about.

Still Entertaining Angels

posted March 10, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Keep it the same. Furler will still be writing.
The story is still the same. There will be new pages. Why change the book’s title?
The Merriam Webster dictionary changes every year but it is still called the Merriam Webster Dictionary.

Marc Hemingway

posted March 11, 2009 at 12:04 am

Keeping the same name will be important for preserving old Newsboys hits for future generations. Michael will unquestionably increase the popularity of the band, especially with Furler still writing. New teenagers and young adults will learn of the Newsboys and look up their band history and find the best sellers that ought to never be forgotten.

bigdawg

posted March 12, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Van Halen is still Van Halen without David Lee Roth. Whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing is debatable.
Kiss is still Kiss without Ace Frehley and Peter Criss. (Can you talk about Kiss on a Christian blog?)

Your Name

posted March 12, 2009 at 4:32 pm

the newsboys wont be the newsboys without peter!! id rather see them start a whole new band rather than having tait step in. he better do one heck of a job if he wants to keep old newsboys fans happy. after seeing them a number of times with peter still there, im afraid it wont add up seeing someone else at the helm. i do believe my newsboys days are over, at least until they do some original material with tait, otherwise its nothing more than a cover band doing newsboys music. also i was still hanging on to the hope that dctalk will reunite in the future, thatll be a lot harder to do with tait fronting another band. all in all, im very disappointed and a little sad. but thats just me.

Haleigh

posted March 15, 2009 at 2:35 pm

y is peter leaving? i dont understand y he’s leaving and y the band should change their name. it doesnt seem rite 4 them 2 change the name. its 2 popular now they’re a band. peter should stay so the music will stay the same as it has been. it doesnt seem rite peter’s leaving and the band wants 2 change the name.

Ian

posted March 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm

the Newsboys matter?
I mean, I love what they did for the industry, but there is much more new talent out there now….

believer

posted March 16, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I am also sad to see Peter go. I have enjoyed seeing them in concert and they are great. The concert does not leave you wanting more because it is so great!!! I love the Newsboys, they are one of my favorite bands, but we have to remember their true reason for doing what they do…. To bring Glory and Honor to Our GOD and to bring others who may not know Him close!! That is their mission and their journey, so I hope that they are greeted with open arms in their new change, I know their decision has not come to them on their own, but has been placed in the hands of the Lord. God Bless, and God bless the Newsboys!!

NB historian

posted March 17, 2009 at 3:30 am

Journey is still Journey even without Steve Perry. Newsboys are still Newsboys even without Jon James, Peter Furler, or the bass player that used to just stand there like a Statue- Sean Taylor. Oh yeah- Petra was still Petra after Greg X. Vols left AND when founding member Bob Hartman stopped touring! Tait is an exceptional singer. So is Jodi.

A little sad

posted March 22, 2009 at 1:49 am

I just got back from the Newsboys concert here in Westlake Village, CA where Michael Tait was the lead.
He did a great job but I gotta say, Peter is the voice of the Newsboys so a part of me was sad not see him on that stage tonight. It’s definitely a new sound.
I’m sure I will eventually accept Michael as the frontman, but I gotta grieve a little before moving forward with this great band and the awesome music they make.

Paula in Modesto

posted March 23, 2009 at 2:34 am

I just got back from the Newsboys concert here in Modesto, CA w/Michael Tait as the lead.
He did a great job but I gotta agree with “a little sad”…Peter is the voice of the Newsboys, and I am grieving, too. God be with all of the guys during this major transition. And, may God continue to be glorified through their music.

Angel

posted March 31, 2009 at 12:32 am

Can you image if DC Talk was still around and Toby Mac left and Peter Furler joined as lead singer/rapper? This in my point it just wouldn’t be the same and as much as I like Michael with his band TAIT is just won’t work with him as the lead of the Newsboys. The move totally changes the sound that the Newsboys have been known for. Last time I heard Michael sing I couldn’t pick up is Australian accent.

John

posted May 9, 2009 at 11:50 pm

There once was a band named Men at Work, and like most secular bands of the time, there was a Christian version of them calling themselves the Newsboys. Unlike the secular group, the Christian one succeeded beyond any one’s initial expectations.
I believe the reason the Newsboys did succeed is because of excellent writing and high energy concerts. Peter was continual thread in the creation of these two elements. Since he will still be writing, Newsboys may have a continuance of this success.
Yes, the Newsboy’s sound is gone mainly because of Peter’s Aussie’s accent. Yes, the energy may be a little diminished with a new lead, but you may indeed think of this group as the NewBoys (the next generation).

Steve in Virginia

posted June 23, 2009 at 11:41 am

I just saw Newboy’s at Glory in the Gardens in Williamsburg, VA. I wish we had known in advance about the change, seemed wrong that at least KLove did not announce the change since they were sponsoring the event. It was a huge disappointment for us and hundreds of people around us, we all just stared at band in wonder at what they must have been thinking, their interest was apparently and completely into being showmen instead of Glorifying the Lord through there music. Tait is definately into being the center of attention, you sure did not get that feel from Peter, nor you get it from Mac with Third Day, or Bart with Mercyme…. the others are sincere about wanting to promote Jesus and not themselves.
Tait tried way to hard to come off as a Christian “Bono” Rock-star type and it did not work for the crowd. After the show people were just shaking their heads. Tait has an awesome voice but it does not work for this band if they want to be known as the Newboy’s.
I will not be promoting the Newboy’s in our area until I see God as the center of their music once again. Anyone can sing it, but it comes from the heart when you mean it.

Joanne Brokaw

posted June 26, 2009 at 10:11 am

Steve, I wonder if they assume everyone knows by now. I do think the radio stations promoting the concerts should make sure to let people know.
I’ll likely see them perform at Kingdom Bound; can’t wait to see how the new line up is.
Joanne
host of the GS blog

krelha

posted May 1, 2011 at 12:39 am

I completely agree that the newsboys have become too showy. At the winter jam concert michael tait WAS the center of attention, not the Lord. Our heavenly father deserves all the glory, not just part of it.

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »