Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Idol Shocker: Jamar Rogers Sent Home, Tatiana Del Toro Stays

posted by Joanne Brokaw

JenKorbeeKristenMcNamara.jpgThe final night of Hollywood week found the contestants doing their face-to-face meetings with the judges (unfortunately, minus the elevator cam), with an added twist: some contestants had to sing again in a “sing off” between contestants.
But before I get to that, I have to say one thing:
Jamar Rogers went home! I’m in total shock. Shocked! The guy has a great voice, a wonderful attitude and a great Idol look. It would have been amazing to watch Danny and Jamar go through the competition together.
(UPDATE 2/1/09 – Want to know what Jamar’s up to now? Visit this post: American Idol’s Jamar Rogers and Frankie Jordan – BIG BIG NEWS)
And Tatiana Del Toro stays? Even if she has a good voice, who in the industry is ever going to be willing to work with such an unstable artist? She babbled endlessly about her stupid star bracelet from Paula’s jewelry line, whining because she wanted the ring and they were out, until Paula stood up and gave her her own ring. I’m beginning to think there’s something seriously wrong with Tatiana, like a personality disorder. Instead of sending her through to the top 36, they should have sent her straight away for a psych evaluation.

So there’s the deal: instead of a heartwarming story of two best buddies in a possible final two, we get a mentally imbalanced spectacle.
But, honestly? I should have seen it coming. When I talked to someone at Faithbuilders this week, where both Danny and Jamar are involved, they said he “is actually recording some stuff in LA as we speak.” Oops. If I’d been paying attention, I would have realized that if you’re getting ready to compete on the live show, you probably aren’t out recording now.
If you saw my predictions for some of the top 36, you’ll see I did a pretty good job, eh? I wasn’t sure if Ryan Johnson and Melinda Camille were still in the competition, but I added them just in case. They didn’t make the final 36.
I had Ashley Hollister on there and she went home, but to be honest, if she’d walked into my living room and introduced herself I still wouldn’t have known who she was. I just had her on one of my lists and put her on the prediction list without thinking about it. I also had Jorge Nunez on the list, whom I love, and somehow forgot to add him when I typed the post. All of which goes to show you shouldn’t attempt complicated tasks while taking muscle relaxers. But I digress.
The sing-offs gave the judges a chance to hear two contestants they were on the fence about sing one after the other. And, surprisingly, they had Frankie Jordan and Jesse Langseth sing. I had both on my list, but when I heard them side by side, there’s no question that Jesse had the better voice. Well, unless you were Frankie, who asked the judges, “So you think there were 8 girls better than me?” to which Simon replied, “You’ll see.” I guess with Tatiana there the judges could only handle one ego this season.
Other sing-offs:
Jackie Midciff and Nathaniel Marshall – Nathaniel might be a bit of a goofball, but he was the better singer.
Jen Korbee and Kristen McNamara (pictured) – who even knows who Jen Korbee is, other than Simon? We barely saw her. After the sing off, Simon asks the other judges if they should take the very attractive blond or the other one. He was talking about Jen Korbee. In the end, there was no question that Kristen is the better singer, but Paula told her she has an identity crisis. Translation: the girl can’t dress herself. She looks like she fell into the Goodwill bin and just wore whatever stuck to her. They put Kristen through, despite Simon’s annoyance and protests. Kristen should be thankful for the stylists she’ll have from now on.
The final sing-off was between Michael Sarver and Matt Breiztke, who working guys with big voices. In the end, the judges put them both through.
Adam Lambert made it through. I’m glad for that, because he has a great voice. He just needs to pick really good songs. No musical theater!
Of course, familiar names including Lil Rounds, Danny Gokey, Anoop Desai, Scott MacIntyre, Michael Sarver, and Jasmine Murray made it through.
Joy of all joys, Nick Mitchell made it through! Which, considering Jamar didn’t is a disappointment to some of you, I’m sure. But there were worse singers that could have been sent home so Jamar could stay (or even singers we don’t know, like Ricky Braddy. Who is he? Or Kai Kalama? Or even Tatiana. It doesn’t have to be a guy. Again, I digress.). Nick told the cameras he’d do whatever it takes to make it to the top 36, including washing Simon’s cars, being Paula’s butler, or wearing a bikini like Bikini Girl. In the end, all the judges want is for him to keep being Norman Gentle.
In the end, the vast majority of the top 36 are names you’ve come to know and love. Next week, the first set of 12 compete and America will vote for the top male, the top female and the next-top vote.
Your top 36:
Stevie Wright
Tatiana del Toro
Taylor Viafanua
Von Smith
RELATED POSTS
American Idol’s Jamar Rogers and Frankie Jordan – BIG BIG NEWS</a
Breaking American Idol News: Joanna Pacitti Ineligible; Replaced By Felicia Barton
Idol Shocker: Jamar Rogers Sent Home, Tatiana Del Toro Stays
American Idol: My Predictions For Some Of The Final 36
American Idol Season 8 Contestants With Ties to Christian Music
American Idol Contestant Kristen McNamara & L.A.U.G.H.
American Idol Contestant Ryan Johnson Performs Tonight with Christian Band Instereo
Is Jesus at American Idol’s Hollywood Week?
American Idol Judge Kara DioGuardi Gives Contestant Some Solid Advice
More on American Idol contestant Danny Gokey and wife Sophia
What’s up with American Idol’s new judge Kara DioGuardi and why is the show milking contestants’ tragedies?
More American Idol Posts
And if you want more American Idol show recap, visit my Idol blog at NewChristianVoices.com.
Get the Gospel Soundcheck headlines delivered daily to your email inbox. Just sign up for the RSS feed by going to the “Subscribe” box on the right hand side of this blog and entering your email address.

H

posted February 12, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Bring Jamar back for the Wildcard!!

brandon mitchell

posted February 12, 2009 at 1:41 pm

BRING JAMAR BACK PLEASE LETS START A BOYCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR PETITION LOL

Edna

posted February 12, 2009 at 2:01 pm

I HOPE AMERICAN IDOL’S RATINGS GET EVEN WORSE FOR LETTING JAMAR ROGERS GO. HE’S SO TALENTED. WAY BETTER THAN OTHERS THAT WERE PUT THROUGH THE TOP 36… I WOULD BUY HIS VERSION OF “HEY THERE DELILAH”.

cjy

posted February 12, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Thank you!
Thank you for expressing your shock and disbelief about Jamar not making it through and than you for the tidbit about him recording. My husband and I figured there had to be something up because he and his buddy are two of the very best – may favs anyway – and I agree that the two of them in the Top Ten would have been fascinating TV. I think they should both be a duo like Hall and Oats. THAT would be fabulous.
TATIANA!@#??? They must be including her for drama only but it is really upsetting when they sent the girl who’s last name is Young home.
I loved her and wanted to see her stay.
I agree that there are some really boring nothings that we never saw previous to last night that they’ve included.
???

Joanne Brokaw

posted February 12, 2009 at 4:15 pm

CJY – I think you mean Leneshe Young? She was very good, but I wonder if her age was a factor. She’s just 16. Not that that matters but I wonder if they had concerns. I loved her response when asked what she learned. She said, “Be humble and work hard for what you want in life.” I’m sure we’ll see her next year. She doesn’t seem like the type to give up. And she writes her own songs, so it’s possible that Idol will open some doors for her.
And I love what Simon said to Tatiana: “Tatiana, Tatiana, try for once not to be annoying.” I’m annoyed by her but mostly I feel sorry for her. She’s got a nice voice but her ability to come unhinged at the drop of a hat isn’t going to serve her well in life. Which is too bad.
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Keith

posted February 12, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Yes! Bring Jamar back on a wildcard!!!
Join the Facebook group ‘Save Jamar Rogers!!!!’ and make it happen.
Search for it in Facebook or use this link:

Bambi Woods

posted February 13, 2009 at 12:55 am

Tatiana Del Toro is a star. Admit it people. When the masses are so extremely divided about an artist, it usually means they’re doing something that’s pushing the envelope. I can’t help but be reminded of the reaction to Madonna when she first came out. Miss Toro is the epitome of everything the other contestants possess but don’t want you to see. She’s everything behind the dark curtain of Hollywood. But then she’s a childlike free-spirit at the same time. Intriguing. I’m a fan. I now find myself rushing home to catch each episode, and I usually hate American Idol.

MystiCat

posted February 13, 2009 at 7:10 am

Totally agree with CJY

Joanne Brokaw

posted February 13, 2009 at 9:04 am

Bambi, you can’t be serious, LOL. Did you see her behavior during the “judges mansion” face to face episode? There is something wrong with her. It’s not normal to be that unhinged all the time.
Joanne
host of the GS blog

suzieqridgway

posted February 13, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Jamar over Tatianna any day. I was shocked! Come ON DAWG!!!

sperry84

posted February 15, 2009 at 10:08 am

There are actually a LOT of people who know who Jenn Korbee is, although with such little face time on the show people weren’t really given a chance to realize it. She was on the 3-time Emmy Award Nominated kids show Hi-5 (when she was Jennifer Peterson-Hind, before marrying Tom Korbee, who incidentally was also on AI and was eliminated the previous week–but they never showed him either). I personally would have liked to have seen Jenn sing during group week and in the individual round that led up to the sing off. For some reason AI didn’t want us to see that. There was a lot of focus on the immature drama that involved Kristen McNamara’s group, and we did see footage over the week of Kristen in auditions and individual rounds—none of which was shown for Jenn. Who is to say that Kristen is the better singer? All I saw was 8 seconds of Jenn singing acapella under the tensest of settings. She has a great voice and has moved into solo work since leaving Hi-5. Unfortunately AI is becoming more and more of a drama and less of a talent show.

Allison

posted February 15, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Sadly Tatiana will be the new Sanjaya and more sane and relevant performers (Jamar Rogers) will be let go!

Leo

posted February 16, 2009 at 8:20 pm

I somehow felt they didn’t want Jamar competing with Danny in this series, that’s why asked him to come back next year. Anyways, that’s if he hasn’t already got a contract somewhere just from the auditions.

Brian

posted February 17, 2009 at 11:42 am

According to a poll we’re running on our site about Danny Gokey, 80% of the voters believe Jamar Rogers should have gone through to the next round. It’s admittedly difficult to see how Tatiana del Toro got through and Rogers didn’t.

Joanne Brokaw

posted February 17, 2009 at 11:55 am

Brian, you probably didn’t need a poll to tell you that many people thought that, LOL. What were they thinking?! I hope we see him back for the Wild Card round.
I think it might have had something to do with keeping the #s even between the guys and girls, but there were definitely guys who went through who could have been sent home.
Thanks!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

lusGuirediems

posted March 3, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Hello. And Bye.

Pingback: American Idol’s Felicia Barton a Worship Leader at Freedom Fellowship in VA - Gospel Soundcheck

Pingback: Meet Jamar Rogers, The HIV+ Bronx Man Speaking Out And Singing Loud On The Voice | My Blog

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »