Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Brio Creator And Editor Susie Shellenberger Launches New Magazine

posted by Joanne Brokaw

SusieMag.jpg Nationally renowned speaker, author and creator of Brio magazine Susie Shellenberger has launched a new magazine for girls called Susie.
Shellenberger served as Brio’s editor for 19 years before publisher Focus on the Family discontinued its teen ministry and ceased publication last month. Focus also ceased publication of their guy’s magazine, Breakaway.
Shellenberger quickly made the decision to publish her own magazine after receiving many encouraging letters from Brio fans who also suggested the new publication be named after its editor.
Susie will debut its premier print issue this May and Shellenberger is determined to make it more appealing and relevant than current and past magazines ministering to Christian teen girls. With a main focus to help readers grow spiritually, the publication will additionally cover girl-significant topics including fashion, modesty, family, self-injury, eating disorders, relationships and more.

It’ll be interesting to see what direction Shellenberger goes with her new magazine. Brio has always been a great mag for teens, but Focus on the Family always had very strict, conservative guidelines for articles and photos. (I once did a story for the guy’s mag that quoted an artist talking about the movie “Dumb and Dumber.” I had to axe the quote because of the magazine’s strict “no promotion of PG-13 movies” policy. The magazine also had to airbrush out one of the band member’s lip ring for the cover photo.) Here’s hoping she can tackle more edgy subjects with the same biblical perspective she had with Brio. I know a lot of people miss the teen magazine.
A website supporting Susie with additional magazine information and feature content will be available mid March. Until then, you can keep up with the magazine and Shellenberger on her blog.
RELATED POST
Focus on the Family ceases publication of teen magazines Brio, Brio and Beyond, and Breakway
Get the Gospel Soundcheck headlines delivered daily to your email inbox. Just sign up for the RSS feed by going to the “Subscribe” box on the right hand side of this blog and entering your email address.

Molly

posted February 13, 2009 at 9:33 am

This is good news. My 12-year-old daughter loved her “Brio” magazine. I hope the new magazine is up and running soon!

JD080850

posted February 18, 2009 at 1:02 am

I can’t belive they got rid of Brio! Brio has to be the highlight of the month for me!!! I get it in the mail and when I do, It’s like a present practically (What i mean is i get exited) And then I get the February issue with a big fat red and white message on it. I can’t belive focus on the familey did that!!! It’s my FAVORITE mag!!!

myname

posted February 21, 2009 at 1:21 pm

In order to get the susie mag do we have to resubscribe? what will happen to our other subscription? will we get our money back or will they just keep it? my subscription was only like 1/2 done so there is some money there that we could have just kept. i agree. i luv brio and im very disappointed that i wont be getting it anymore. thank you susie for making another mag and listening to the other brio fans who are disappointed.

Joanne Brokaw

posted February 21, 2009 at 5:01 pm

myname – I don’t know the answer to that question, but you can probably ask Susie. Her email is susieshell@comcast.net; that’s from her blog: http://susieshellenberger.blogspot.com/
Hope that helps!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Grace Wright

posted February 22, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Hey y’all I read Brio too and am really sad that it is gone!! Just letting y’all know that I think they are getting a new publisher for Brio so your subscription won’t stop. It probably won’t be as good though. I don’t think Susie is necessarily replacing Brio though.

Grace Wright

posted February 22, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Oh wait nevermind aparently it is an online magazine now.

Jeff Edmondson

posted February 25, 2009 at 2:52 pm

myname, after all the years and hard work she put into building the Brio brand for them, Focus isn’t helping Susie at all with her launch of Susie Magazine. In fact, it seems their doing all they can to keep word from getting out about it. And unfortunately, for girls who loved Brio, their print subscription to Brio will not be fulfilled. Focus did say that if subscribers asked for their money back from their Brio and Breakaway subscriptions that they’d try to make that happen. So you should call Focus and ask for your money to be refunded. And tell everyone you know that had a Brio or Breakaway subscription to do the same.
So since Susie Magazine is not associated with Focus on the Family at all, and since it’s a whole new thing, people wanting it will have to pay for a new subscription.

Your Name

posted March 5, 2009 at 9:08 pm

This is a huge dissapointment! Getting Brio in the mail is a highlight in my month, just as I’m sure that it is for many of my Brio sisses. Although this is very upsetting, we as sisters in Christ need to stick together, even if we don’t get the help from Brio that we are accustomed to. Remember, God has a certain reason for doing this and who knows….maybe the Susie magazine will be even better than Brio. You know…Susie has had a lot of experience and most of all she has the BIG Boss on her side.

ellie G

posted June 29, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I’m gonna miss Brio sooo much but i think we should just pray that God will help Susie through this and help make this new magazine even better:)

Your Name

posted July 17, 2009 at 2:23 pm

It makes sense the new magazine is named “Susie,” since Brio was nothing but a cult of personality built around Susie Shellenberger anyway. She thought it was her magazine, not Focus on the Family’s.

Your Name

posted July 24, 2009 at 2:04 pm

In response to the above comment:
I was a Brio reader for more than seven years right up until it was discontinued by Focus on the Family. Calling the former Brio magazine a “cult of personality built around Susie Shellenberger” is grossly unfair. While she was the editor and creator of the magazine, most of the content was not written by her. The only regular contribution by her was the “Dear Susie” column. Sometimes feature articles were written by her, but more often they were written by other Brio staff and guest authors from around the world. If you are going to exaggerate, at least be more clear about why you disliked the magazine and share some evidence to back it up.

A Susie Mag Subscriber

posted November 17, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Hi! I’ve subscribed to Susie mag for months now; it is one rockn’ magazine! I LOVE it and think it’s WAY better than Brio. And to the comments about Susie “owning” Brio, as the EIC, you have to take some sort of “ownership” so that the magazine has personality and style and moves in one direction. Susie Magazine ROCKS! and is THE BEST magazine source of Christian literature for teen girls out in the 21st century. Susie care about girls; honestly and from her heart. That is why she started Brio. That is why she continues to live the legend with Susie Mag. And I hope that, as long as God gives us peeps like Susie, the world for teen girls (and many others) will be kept alive with fresh media and exciting info. on growing your Christian faith as a young lady. And yes, boo to FOF, usually a wonderful organization, but offering no support whatsoever to their EIC of 19 years. Some friends… :)

sarah berberich

posted December 31, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I have a question if you guys have another copy of the book pur because I cant find the book anywere!!!!!If you guys have the copy do I have to PAY ANY MONEY FOR iT. brio iS ALSOME

K.A.C

posted January 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I LOVE BRIO, AND HATED TO SEE IT GO. IF SUSIE HAD WANTED IT( THE OLD MAGIZINE) TO BE HER OWN, THEN SHE WOULDN’T HAVE ALL THOSE OTHER LADIES HELPING AND THEM BEING IN THE PICTURES AALL THE TIME. GIVE HER ABREAK GIRLS. IF YOU ARE NOT SAATISVIED WITH IT, THEN DON’T SUSCRIBE TO IT. SIMPLE. GOD BLESS!!

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »