Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Gaither Vocal Band changes group members

posted by Joanne Brokaw

GaitherVocalBand2009.jpgGaither.com has announced that the Gaither Vocal Band has made some significant line up changes, going from a quartet to a quintet, losing a key member and bringing back some Gaither alum.
“With mixed emotions and tremendous optimism about the future,” the press release states, lead singer Guy Penrod is leaving to pursue a solo career, and Marshall Hall, who has sung with the group since 2004, will no longer serve as the group’s baritone. No word on his immediate plans.
The new line up is: Bill Gaither, David Phelps, Wes Hampton, Michael English and Mark Lowry. The first live concert of 2009 will take place January 29 in Huntsville, Alabama. For ticket information and 2009 concert dates visit the Gaither Vocal Band website.
What songs topped the Christian music charts for 2008? Check out this Gospel Soundcheck post, Radio and Record’s Most Played Christian Songs of 2008.
RELATED POSTS:
Gaither Vocal Band releases two new CDs and DVD set
Guy Penrod to release first solo project, Breathe Deep
Got a gospel or Christian music news tip? Send me an email!
Click here to subscribe to Gospel Soundcheck by email and have the Gospel Soundcheck headlines delivered daily to your email inbox. And don’t forget to follow me on Twitter!

Jeff

posted January 14, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Wow, that’s quite a lineup. Marshall is outstanding, I’m sure he’ll land on his feet..same with Guy. Glad to see Michael/Mark/David back where they belong. Being a solo artist sounds fun, but it’s much tougher in reality. Now they got a cush, year-round gig.

Janyce Hickman

posted January 30, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Well, I know the group will be fantastic.
I sure do hope and pray Guy will be back for some solo performances.
I will look forward to his works when they come out.
God’s blessing on all.
Janyce
Columbus Ohio

Robb Reiser

posted March 3, 2009 at 11:05 am

I am so glad Michael English is back. O my goodness what a voice. It’s even better to have him back in christian music alogether. Maybe one of the best vocal bands yet. I know that’s debatable, but it is not far off.

Lloyd McDonald

posted March 10, 2009 at 1:18 am

I really pray for all involved. All are are wonderful singers I hope all goes well for everyone. My concern as an educator who has been in the business for 30 years as teacher and principal is terse terms both in the Homecoming Magazine and in your article that suggest we all need to say special prayer for Marshall. It takes no braniac to figure this one out. I wish Bill and Gloria had a fan address then I could send this to them which I would much rather do then post this here. I do hope Homecoming magazine will keep us appraised of where he is and how he is doing. That goes for both Guy and Marshall. Thank you for the chance to at least pass this on and get my frustrations out.

LINA WEAVER

posted March 20, 2009 at 11:35 am

I AM VERY DISSAPOINTED THAT YOU HAVE LOST GUY AND MARSHALL. I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE BEST VOCAL BAND EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Name

posted March 27, 2009 at 11:27 am

I have mixed feelings about the change in the vocal band. Guy has always been such a blessing to me. Christ just shines through him and what a witness for our Lord and Savoir! I am also concerned about Marshall. I pray that he will continue to be part of the Homecoming concerts. He has a great voice and I enjoy each of his solo’s.
It is great to know that David is back! Thank you Bill and Gloria for all your live concerts, video’s and for allowing all of us to praise our Lord through music with you!!

Jean Horvath

posted March 30, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Saw the “Homecoming Friends” concert in Northern KY/Cincinnati 3/28/09. I really miss Marsh – he has a wonderful voice and I miss him.
jh

Your Name

posted April 3, 2009 at 2:33 am

I,m sorry that Guy Penrod and Marsh has left the group. I really enjoyed both of them singing. Each one has such an unique voice and brought with them so much talent to witness and testify for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. They will be missed by many of their fans. I’m glad that Micheal English and Mark Lowry has rejoin the group. I wish that Guy and Marsh would come back and the gaither vocal band would have the best band in the gospel industry. Guy was an excellent lead singer. He will be missed by mandy gaither fans.

David

posted April 23, 2009 at 5:39 am

I THOUGHT JASON CRABB WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT ASSET! HE HAS THE SAME VOCAL NEARLY THAT GUY DID ALTHOUGH THERE IS JUST ONE GUY PENROD!
MAYBE YOU CAN USE HIM SOME ON THE SIDE
HIS VOICE IS STRONG HE HAS GROWN “UP” SINGING MAYBE YOU OUGHT TO GIVR HIM ANOTHER SHOT AT IT!
JUST MY THOUGHTS THOUGH.
YOU DO NEED THAT STRONG STRONG VOCALIST!

Joanne Brokaw

posted April 23, 2009 at 10:30 am

I just interviewed Jason and am excited about his upcoming solo project. I think you will be, too!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Your Name

posted April 27, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Dear Bill and all, We just attended the concert in Greenville, SC on Friday, April 24th. My goodness, we were blown away by the anointing of the holy spirit that was on the Gaither Vocal Band. We appreciated so much the opportunity to hear the Vocal Band sing more than 2 or 3 songs! You are who we come to see and hear. We are so thrilled that our Lord is faithful and has brought Michael back where he needs to be. My husband and I are a tremendous fan of David Phelps and could not be more pleased that he is back with the band. It was never the same without him. May God use you and bless you in your every endeavor. Faithfully, Barbara

Renee Oshowy

posted May 18, 2009 at 12:16 am

Guy Penrod was my all time favorite in the Vocal Band. He was greatly missed in the concert in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan last night. I’m very sad to hear he is not with the group. However, I’m really glad that David and Mark are back! I missed them very much. Michael has been gone for so long, it seems strange to see him with you, but he will do a great job as before, I’m sure. May God bless your group and use you mightily.
I want to comment on the concert last night. It was an awsome time and the anointing was so real, especially at the end. I was sorry when it was over as it felt so good to feel the presence of the Lord in such a sweet, quiet way. May you never lose His touch upon you as you sing for Him.
A fan for life! Renee

Your Name

posted May 30, 2009 at 8:52 pm

They should update their name to “The Gaither Five.”

Your Name

posted June 19, 2009 at 12:42 pm

The first time I went to a Gather Concert I said to my wife 4 hours they are going to play for 4 hours? Well 4 hours was not enough, It seemed like it just got started and it was over. I can not tell everyone what a blessing these people are. Keep coming to Minneapolis

Your Name

posted June 25, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I am millions of miles from you boys, but I’m watching you through website.
Why me Lord has been a inspiration to me, I kept on singing while Guy is singing and just the words are encouraging, put me where I should be. Boys! keep up the good work, you are not doing for yourself, its for the Lord and He will bless you abountantly. Its a talent from God to sing for Him so don’t give up.
Every day I log into website just to listen to the songs while I work.
Papau New Guinea – small country in the Pacific
xwaczb

Cecilia

posted August 3, 2009 at 1:11 pm

why did Guy and Marshal leave???

Larry

posted September 5, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I am sorry to see that Guy is not with the group any more but I know he will do well with his solo career. It is great to see David and Mark back. Keep on singing for the Lord. My Mom God rest her soul, love to listen to you every time she say you on television.
God bless you all from Cleveland Tennessee, Anthony Burger’s home town. We miss him.

Joyce

posted October 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I have a long & innate love for gospel music from solo to any number in a group or choir; and still love ALL the Gaither Vocal groups (comprising every individual singer AND MUSICIAN). Keep on blessing God.

Shirley

posted October 8, 2009 at 1:44 am

I am so sad to see Guy Penrod leave. His love of God always touched
me when he sang. I hope that he will return to the Homecoming program
as a solo artist often. Also, good luck to Marshall, a wonderful
singer. I hope we will see him as well. Of course I am thrilled to
have Mark and David and Michael back again! I watch the program
every night and go to bed blessed and secure with the love of Jesus
shining through the wonderful songs. Thank you Bill and Gloria.

SANDY MILLER

posted December 1, 2009 at 8:22 pm

i am so happy to see mark and david back with the vocal band. all the guys are great but david phelps just can’t be beat. i wish guy would come back but am sure he is doing well. please keep on keeping on. i love gospel music and never listen to anything but gospel. i am a baby Christian and it is really a blessing to hear this kind of music.

gerald fields

posted December 12, 2009 at 10:39 am

thank you Bill for making the decision to bring Michael English back. where would the Apostle Peter be, had Christ not restored him? none of us are perfect, our trial will be our testamony, we grow in Christ, none of us are perfect because of our flesh warring constantly against our spirit, but this one thing i do know, If Michael takes this expierence and truely sings to the Glory of God becasue of what Christ did for him… you talk about anointing??? remember the days of old? they will pale in comparison. Welcome back MARK!!! ya big goof ball..(i thank the Lord for you) AND of course Mr. David Phelps. WOW..and Mr Wes Hampton, the annointing of God rest’s upon you brother. Thanks again Bill, I’m excited for you guy. Guy will be missed sorely, and he is loved.

ED

posted December 23, 2009 at 6:31 pm

If all the members of the Gaither Volcal Band gathered again…..WOW…what a glorious and fantastic heavenly choir that would be. Praise God for the Vocal Band and the wonderful work they do for our Lord Jesus.

Patricia Vandiver

posted January 26, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I will miss Guy, but I am so moved to hear Mark and David are coming back. I can tell you that I just started watching The Gaither Gospel Hour 2 years ago, after sometime of having the honor of seeing The Gaithers in Nashville and I am the type of person that you can talk to all day and nothing sinks in, but music gets me down in soul. But when I heard David Phelps sing , my heart opened to the fullest of blessings and I almost come to my knees in prayer and I weep. David Phelps has brought me closer to Christ than I have been in years. Thanks to all of you. Also I have looked everywhere for the video and dvd of Let Freedom Ring NYC after 911, can you please tell me where I can find it? I bought one, but it did not have David in it. I found the one I want has NYC or Ellis Island on it. It did have the firemen of NYC in it.

Judy Aker

posted March 6, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I was disappointed to see that he had been replaced.
Judy Aker

Mr. Dennisse John Esta

posted March 23, 2010 at 5:41 am

Great is the day when this group sing together. Specially David Phelps when I heard him singing No More Nights… he is really blessed with such talent.. Anyway, I want to also share with you our ministry.. “The Kingdom of Jesus Christ the Name above every name”, here are our links… http://www.thekingdomofjesuschrist.org,www.acqkbn.tv, http://www.sonshineradio.com.
Thanks

Hwillis

posted July 2, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Does anyone have the lyrics to the song recorded by The New Gaither Vocal Band, written by Gary McSpadden, that goes something like this: Don’t play with the devil. He don’t play fair. He’s out to get you, beware. He ain’t on the level so you’d better watch out, you may find out what I’m talking about. …To him this is no game. He wants to own you any way he can. He don’t care just how he gets you into his plan… I have used these lyrics, with proper intro., in delivering talks on various subjects, as the word devil can be substituted for an indefinite shade of evil. But I would like to have more lyrics. I have loved that song for many years but lost the music, album, everything but the main lyrics.
Thanks!

Eldon and Diane

posted April 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Praise the Lord for the beautiful music. We watch your program every time it is on as well as our library of Gaither videos. Yes, outdated, but lovely. We especially like Guy Penrod, Mark Lowry, David Phelps, and Janet Pascal, and oh, so many others. We really miss Anthony Burger; what a great pianist! Seeing all the old timers as you might say gives us a special thrill. Especially the one I met at a high school in New Westminster, BC. I came in after intermission in a rush and ran right into JD Sumner .The thrill of my life! Keep the music coming. We love it! And we look forward to joining your choir in heaven.

Air Conditioning Greenville SC

posted July 18, 2012 at 1:08 am

I have been a huge fan of the Bill Gaither Trio and the GVB and have enjoyed all of the members of these groups. However, I really liked Marshall Hall and I am wondering why he left or was he asked to leave.I was disappointed to see that he had been replaced.

Bill Hollowell

posted October 28, 2013 at 8:08 pm

That’s old news. This read like there were current changes. Thanks, Bill

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »