Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Prince’s sister Tyka Nelson releases Gospel CD

posted by Joanne Brokaw

TykaNelson.jpgCJ, a columnist with the Minneapolis Star Tribune, reported that pop legend Prince’s sister Tyka Nelson has released a Gospel CD called A Brand New Me. Nelson tells CJ, “Every song is about God. It’s all about Jesus. It’s a gospel CD, everything leads back to God.”
Prince is a Jehovah’s Witness and while Nelson attends a Pentacostal church, she tells CJ she’s not any religion, adding, “I still study with Jehovah’s Witnesses, so I say I’m Apostolic Pentecostal Jehovah’s Witness Seventh-Day Adventist Jew.”
I think that’s a joke. Or maybe not.
Listening to the song clips at CDBaby.com, the music is dancey, it’s pop, it’s … well, it’s kinda Prince. You can also hear songs at Tyka Nelson’s MySpace page.
You can read CJ’s entire piece about Prince’s sister Tyka at StarTribune.com.

Beth Soloman

posted December 30, 2008 at 5:12 pm

If she has even half the talent of her brother Prince she should do well.
I see no problem with the Jehovah’s Witnesses mix the Watchtower society recruits all the celebs they can.

Shawn Holland

posted December 30, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Beth, At least she is learning about Bible rather than repelling from it as antiWitnesses are.

Katie Wilson

posted December 31, 2008 at 5:51 am

Jehovah’s Witnesses (Watchtower sect) are the worst of the worst among the hardcore fundys.
They don’t believe in hellfire just make it hell on earth for members who try to leave their cult.
Lots of twisted teachings,no blood transfusions, only 144,000 go to heaven,child abuse and abuse of women and elderly.

Joanne Brokaw

posted December 31, 2008 at 10:04 am

But what about Tyka’s MUSIC? Any thoughts on that?
Joanne
host of the GS blog

thefirstone

posted January 2, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Always you wacko JW rejects looking for a forum to spread your hate. You couldn’t hang, got kicked out and now you wonder aimlessly through cyberspace looking for acceptance. No one believes all those stupid lies you put out about the society. Hey, if the girl is studying with the JW then good for her, I hope she continues progressing.

thirdeye

posted January 2, 2009 at 11:36 pm

ain’t that the TRUTH! Folks always hatin on JW’s cuz they choose to have courage and believe somethin different! I guess if JW’s said it was okay to sleep with your girlfriend and celebrate your birthday it would be all love wouldn’t? Haters! Go form your own religion and leave JW’s alone!

Jenny Eaton

posted January 3, 2009 at 6:27 am

Interesting that defenders of the Watchtower organization Jehovah’s Witnesses sound so similiar to Scientology defenders.
Tom Cruise and Prince both outspoken about their religions.

Joanne Brokaw

posted January 3, 2009 at 11:10 am

MUSIC PEOPLE! Let’s talk about MUSIC!!
Thanks :)
Joanne
host of the Gospel Soundcheck blog

Your Name

posted April 26, 2009 at 12:58 am

I think it’s very Beautiful Music. Tyka and Prince both come from a music background. I’ve never heard their father or mothers music but just by listening to both of theirs music they were definetly talented musicans. Prince himself is Brillant is a Legend in his time! Keep up the great work Tyka. The Big Boss in Sky in smiling down on you!! God Bless

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »