Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Bible study guide available for … High School Musical 3?

posted by Joanne Brokaw

HighSchoolMusical3.jpgYou heard right. Kurt Johnston, youth pastor at Saddleback Church and the folks at Simply Youth Ministries have teamed up to offer a discussion guide to go along with the film “High School Musical 3,” which opens October 24.
The idea is that since kids will be flocking to the theaters, why not be proactive and get involved, see the film as a group, and then take time to talk about the movie.
I haven’t seen “High School Musical” 1 or 2, and I’m fairly certain I won’t be in line opening weekend for 3, but I know the movies are a cultural tidal wave. If you have teens, you’ve probably seen High School Musical.

Personally, I think it’s a good idea for Christians to be proactive when it comes to Hollywood and cultural hits like this. I wouldn’t recommend you take the kids to a Katy Perry concert and then talk about it, but from all I hear HSM is a pretty squeaky clean enterprise.
I know this is a stretch from a Christian music angle, but I had to share this because I’d love to hear your thoughts on the topic.Good idea to take the kids to the movies and then talk about it? What do you think about HSM? What about the music – good for Christian kids or something they need to avoid?
You can check out the study guide at the Simply Youth Ministries website.
RELATED POSTS
Sunday School Musical hopes to catch the High School Musical crowd
Disney celebrates release of High School Musical 3 with huge giveaway

KayleighMccall

posted October 9, 2008 at 1:18 pm

hsm 3 is going to be soo awsem cant wait till it cumss oot see yall later

courtney

posted October 10, 2008 at 4:52 am

i love high school musical 1 and 2 and i cannot wait til high school musical 3 i love zac efron and vennessa hudgens i love all of the crew i hope i get to see high school musical 3 please write back
love from
courtney

Anonymous

posted October 10, 2008 at 5:43 am

HEY :) I LUV HIGH SCL MUSICAL

emily

posted October 10, 2008 at 12:10 pm

i love zac efron he is so cute!!!!!!i want to marrie him i love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!and i love the film of course

Anonymous

posted October 10, 2008 at 8:46 pm

hey my name is ally and I what to see your show and I what to know when you are having the show

Anonymous

posted October 11, 2008 at 1:17 am

what up chris brown

joshua

posted October 29, 2008 at 6:38 pm

this is a joke, right?
anyways,
bible study in is a oxymoron nowadays when many churches have bible studies on anything but the bible.
BTW, I am not surprised.
I suspected that some pastor would use HSM3 to make their “church” relevant.
I wouldnt be surprised if this also happens with the Twilight film also that is coming out in a few weeks (another movie geared at teens)

Pirate Christian Radio

posted October 30, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Turns out the HSM3 “Bible Study” is an Epic Fail.
Chris Rosebrough reviewed the HSM3 “Bible Study” on his radio program. Unfortunately, the ‘biblical’ content of the study was awful because it was taken out of context, twisted to be ‘me centered’ and spent more time discussing group therapy type questions than it did actually learning what God’s word teaches. You can listen to the review at the page listed below.

Joanne Brokaw

posted November 2, 2008 at 9:37 am

Pirate Christian Radio – I wouldn’t be surprised, although the author of Twilight is a Mormon, so someone is as likely to use Twilight to do a “how the evils of Mormonism are infiltrating pop culture” as they are to do a “find Jesus in a vampire novel/movie.”
Does anyone else get a little queasy with all of the responding to pop culture with a Bible study or Christian-view-on-the-movie book”? As Christians, we should be leading the charge with creative, innovative, high quality, excellent movies, not creating a parallel universe or looking to find a way to attach Jesus to hot entertainment. I mean, seriously, “Sunday School Musical?”
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Glenn E. Chatfield

posted November 4, 2008 at 7:23 am

I have only one thing to say about a so-called Bible study based on a Hollywood production:
“For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.” 2 Tim. 4:3

Your Name

posted January 11, 2009 at 11:29 am

Here it is in a nutshell. Either you’re going to grow your family in Christ which is a culture of selfless beliefs or you’re going to grow you family in Pop culture which is based on selfcentered beliefs. It’s a no brainer. There’s a ton of good Christian movies out there and good documentaries on people making a difference in this world on a humanitarian level. Kid’s can understand that. Get them involved in mission trips or local ministry. Why feed thier impressionable minds on Pop culture. Matthew 6 says where your treasures are there your heart will be also.

Your Name

posted January 15, 2009 at 7:42 pm

What about the use of such things for outreach?? High School Musical is a movie HS girls are going to watch. From the prospective of a outreach HS girl leader, this could draw a big crowd. Breaking apart the bondage and lies with them afterward and letting God’s love and light shine in, is key! They live in a world more wicked than HS Musical. Being able to watch it with them and use it as a teachable moment might not be feeding their impressionable minds with pop culture, instead it might be helping them to view the things they see differently. Yes, there are a ton of good Christian movies out there, but offering to show them might not get the attention of the lost sheep. I havent read the book but I commend a Youth Pastor for trying to reach kids WHERE THEY ARE and bringing the gospel to them there.

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting Gospel Soundcheck page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Idol Chatter Happy Reading!

posted 4:04:02pm Mar. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Davy Jones dies and I say goodbye to my childhood
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hzusE4veM&feature=youtu.be] Greetings, dear Beliefnet readers! It's been a while since I posted - I'm kind of in limbo right now with entertainment writing, as I've made the move to animals and faith. You can read more on my personal blog,Notes From The

posted 7:13:01pm Feb. 29, 2012 | read full post »

The X Factor final performances - care to predict a winner?
Tonight was the final performance episode of this first season of The X Factor in the US, and what a way to end the competition. The three finalists - Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, and Melanie Amaro - pulled out all of the stops for their final performances. First, each performed a duet with a star,

posted 9:45:43pm Dec. 21, 2011 | read full post »

Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Honest.
  Rock fans and women around the world are breathing a collective sigh of relief: Jon Bon Jovi is not dead. Despite rumors of his demise, the charming rock legend is alive and well. It appears to have started with a fake blog post reporting that Bon Jovi suffered cardiac arrest. However at a

posted 8:13:10pm Dec. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The X Factor final four results: Marcus goes home
On tonight's The X Factor results show, Melanie Amaro, Josh Krajcik and Chris Rene went through to the next round and Marcus Canty was sent home. OK, OK, I know, I know. I 've been hard on Marcus Canty the last few weeks, so you may be thinking that I'm happy he went home tonight. I wasn't happy

posted 9:25:44pm Dec. 15, 2011 | read full post »