Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Katy Perry’s parents sound off about their daughter’s ‘I Kissed A Girl’

posted by Joanne Brokaw

katyperry2.jpgIn June I shared the news that Katy Perry, whose hit single “I Kissed A Girl” was climbing the charts, had released a Christian album back in 2001 under her real name, Katy Hudson.
The debate has raged on ever since. Does the song promote homosexuality and does it matter? Is Katy Perry a Christian and if not, how did she get a Christian record deal? (Australia’s The Sydney Morning Herald reports that Katy “insists she still has her faith and has a tattoo which reads ‘Jesus’ on her wrist.”) And what do her conservative evangelical preacher parents think about her new album?
Well, now Perry’s parents have chimed in on the discussion.

The UK’s Daily Record reported yesterday that Katy’s mother, Mary Hudson says, “I hate the song. It clearly promotes homosexuality and its message is shameful and disgusting. Katy knows how I feel.” She tells the British paper that she and her husband are “deeply ashamed” of their daughter and say that the song “promotes a sin.”
She calls her daughter’s recent antics (which include jumping off the stage to land a lip lock on a 16-year-old female fan and offering a kiss to Miley Cyrus; Cyrus declined) a period of rebellion, and adds that she’s praying for her daughter’s salvation, despite the fact that Katy apparently assured her, “Oh Mum, I’m not going to turn into Amy Winehouse.”
There you go. What do you think about the whole Katy Perry story? Has she been “led astray by the Hollywood crowd” as her mother claims, or is Katy Perry just being herself? And what dangers abound for Christian artists (like the Jonas Brothers) in the mainstream music world?
Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!
**** NEW: 1/26/09: Katy Perry: Clearing The Air On Her Faith, Her Parents And The Celibacy Vow ****
RELATED POSTS
Katy Perry, Christian recording artist?
5 Things I Hate About The Jonas Brothers (commerical empire, that is)

Danny

posted August 19, 2008 at 5:51 pm

i think in all honest, it just a gimmick , becuase lezibanism se,lls even before real talent. I think in a snese maybe her parents are to blame too. One can not force, your child be just like you. I was force to go church and ccd. I really hate it and i stop going to church for almost a year. I came over time to change my faith, and this other faith is not so hare core as catholicism was for me.

Susan

posted August 19, 2008 at 8:11 pm

I love the song and think Katy is hot. Yes, I have kissed a girl and it has nothing to do with her song.

DODP (Drummer of The D.I.G. Project

posted August 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm

I remember her when she was Katy Hudson. I really liked her music.
I think this differs pretty dramtically from the Jonas Brothers. She has become the antithesis of what she used to be and stand for. TJB hopefully won’t get there, and at least have a reasonably moral appearance. After this, the discussion about TJB takes on a different tone. . . they seem pretty innocuous now.
After we leave the care and provision of our parents, and are adults on our own, we all have the opportunity and right to flaunt any or all of our beliefs, but we have the responsibility to know when not to, and when and how to do it tactfully. The bigger responsibility is to determine what beliefs are wrong, and make appropriate corrections.
To claim to have faith is nothing. Many of the most distasteful and disgusting artists claim to have faith, give God the “glory” at awards shows, and have tattoos and jewelry that represent Christianity while using vulgar language and portraying sex and drugs as elements necessary for social acceptance. As it says in Galatians, faith without fruit isn’t real (loose paraphrase).
God has spoken out loudly against homosexuality and sexual immorality, and Katy knows that. She made an informed decision to revolt against her parents and turn her back on her faith and God. Hopefully she’ll turn back.
I think one of the biggest issues here is the following Katy had when she was Katy Hudson, and the way she failed her witness, and failed every fan she had because of that. As a Christian artist, she was (is) responsible to be consistent to the message she shared with her audiences. All too often Christian artists that fall away can leave a pretty rough wake of lost faith and distrust among the fans that believed in them and what they stood for.
Another in a long list of artists (and fans) that I’ll be praying for.

Disheartened Mom

posted August 20, 2008 at 9:24 am

I’ve been praying for Katy’s parents. It’s heart breaking to put everything that you know is good and right into your child’s blessed life then have them turn around and devalue it. Katy has the opportunity to be a positive influence with her gifts and talents. When we are given much – God requires much. I hope that Katy will honor her mom and dad and realize how much they love her, and in spite of what she wants give them some respect.

Steve

posted August 20, 2008 at 10:12 am

I hope her parents don’t rag on her too hard, that will only make it worse. They should love her and support her and believe in her anyway, while making their views known and reminding her of the truth. Hopefully they are doing that.
The fact is that we are all sinners and fall short of the Glory of God and what he wants for us. Thank God for His grace! He loves us anyway. They should, too. I bet this is just a stage for her, and she will be fine. Maybe she will use the whole experience in story or song in the future to somehow to influence young people for good.

Chelsea

posted August 20, 2008 at 10:58 am

Its very unfortunate that the lyrics of this song have to be what they are. The music aspect of it is great. but i have to just turn it off everytime i hear it because of the words. My boyfriends little sisters are struggling with their faith as it is. Teetering on the edge at 14 not knowing what to belive in or how to act. they are so impressionable at that age, and this song is making it even harder for them. They think that kissing other girls is “in” or will make them more popular. its so sad. Katy should know how these young girls look up to her. and being brought up in her household she should know better. if she doesnt want to sing about God, she doesnt have too, but she should at least keep in mind who she is influencing…

Janson Michael Steffan

posted August 20, 2008 at 11:09 am

I play in a variety pop-rock-country band, doing about 150+ shows a year for various events. During one of our breaks, we played the recording of “I Kiss a Girl” over our sound system. Girls in the age range of 9-12 knew every word to the song. It made me physically ill.

allison

posted August 20, 2008 at 11:10 am

To tell you the truth I think that its just a song. Nothing bad will come from it. Saying that because that song says “I kissed a girl and I liked it” means that girls are going to become lesbians is like saying all these kids that play violent games or watch violent movies are going to go out and kill people because of that game or movie. Parents are here to teach there children right from wrong. I am a parent of four and one of my four children are a girl and I would care for her listening to that song but I would sit down with her and explain to her that it isn’t right to kiss other girls that it is only a song and you should never do what you hear from music or see on television.

Lisa

posted August 20, 2008 at 11:31 am

My youngest daughter recently turned 15 years old. She expressed that she liked that song and I heard her listening to it. I read an article from a Christian Music site and printed it off. I handed it to my daughter and simply asked her to read it. I didn’t have to lecture or say anything bad about Katy. Now, when that song comes on, my daughter turns it off and says she cannot listen to that. I am glad that my daughter is strong enough spiritually to be able to understand what that article was saying about the song and about Katy Hudson. Katy is not a bad girl, just a girl who has made a very bad choice about her music and her God-given talent. Let us all pray that parents will talk with their kids about this song and its meaning, and we should all have Katy on our prayer list so that she will be convicted about the negative influence she is on young girls right now. Our society has enough to worry about….we don’t need to worry about our girls kissing other girls and thinking it is cool.

Lynn

posted August 20, 2008 at 2:30 pm

I have to agree with an earlier post regarding parental influence and the fact that just because you play a certain game or listen to certain songs doe not indicate that you will become a serial killer, etc. I must also air my opinion that the gay and lesbian population should be the least of our concerns in this modern age. I am more concerned about the education of our children (or lack thereof), safety for each American to live their lives, prejudices and the misuse of our welfare system (just to mention a few more pressing concerns on my mind). We are all God’s children and he loves everyone, not just a select few. So, instead of microanalyzing a teenagers song shouldn’t we be concerned with more pressing issues? Anyway, since others are “sounding off”, I wanted to add more food for thought. THANKS for listening.

Joanne Brokaw

posted August 20, 2008 at 3:15 pm

Hi, Lynn!
I thought originally that post (the original one) would spur discussion about Christian music (since this a blog about Christian music), but boy it really went in a unexpected direction, LOL! But I think it’s had some good back and forth, so I guess that’s what we needed.
Thanks for sounding off! You’re welcome to share any time. :)
Joanne
your GS blog host

Mary Hudson

posted August 20, 2008 at 3:28 pm

This is Katy’s Mother, Mary. We just want to set the record straight that unfortunately the Daily Record did not. We love Katy and our other two children very much and work to maintain unity no matter what is going on. God commands the blessing on unity, not division. 75% of the words used in that interview were not mine. We would never launch a vicious attack against Katy. The devil, yes, but Katy never. Unfortunately this was a blatant attempt of a newspaper putting words in a person’s mouth. God is repositioning Katy, and we appreciate your prayers. Of course it grieves us that this could affect young girls, but that is why it is so important to keep discipling your child in the Word of God on a daily basis. The only way you can tell a counterfeit is by examining the real thing. We are in agreement that God is greater than this and He is faithful to turn it around for good.

reddopto

posted August 20, 2008 at 4:00 pm

The Christian’s lifestyle mission is to be in the world, but not of it. Christian music, particularly that aimed right at the youth, seems to walk right next to the edge of where “of the world” is living. The bands ape secular bands and play in styles associated with music that is frankly anti-Christ. But, us oldsters are not supposed to be too judgmental, so such things are allowed.
One thing the youth need to understand is to be Christian is not to be “cool.” It’s an ever shifting thing, but the “cool” is a large part of what the secular youth culture promotes. It doesn’t matter to this culture if you’re good or not, as long as you are cool. Madonna isn’t good; we all know that. She’s cool.
Be be cool, one has to put up a false front, to appear to be someone mysterious and superior to uncool people. Christians are not called to put up a false front, but to be open and loving to other people. We’re not supposed to be cool, and yet Christians keep trying to be cool to impress “da youts.” It invariably leads to situations like this.

ray sibley

posted August 20, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I think Katy’s just having fun and being herself, I think “I kissed a girl” is just a fun song and doesnt promote anything. I dont see why you cant be a christian and still have some fun in your life. I cant speak for her parents maybe their just worried about her or the influences in her life. We all have to live our own lives and sometimes make are own mistakes, but most of us end up doing just fine in the end!

courtney south

posted August 21, 2008 at 12:50 am

I did in fact look her up to find out her real name, and that she was indeed a christian singer. I was shocked to find out that she went from such a contemporary christian singer, to a seculiar homosexuality promoting singer. I feel it is not right and that if she really was a ” CHRISTIAN” that she would not be promoting homosexuality. I believe you know that you can still have your faith, even though commiting this sin. Because of course once you have it, then you always have it, but it’s the thing about knowing and not forgetting it’s still there. But promoting homosexuality is not “OKAY’ to young teenage girls. Maybe through people praying for her, that she will realize that the music industry is not just about making money, but it’s the impact and influence that you have on their life. Overall not a good thing! : )

Joanne Brokaw

posted August 21, 2008 at 9:02 am

Courtney, didn’t you believe me? LOL The original story is here:
Joanne
your GS blog host

Mark Weber

posted August 21, 2008 at 12:19 pm

The song is so darn catchy you cannot help but sing along to it. Now the subject matter? Yikes– all the little kids know this song and sing it– and girls love this song– they can’t wait to do what the song tells them. I think it would be great if a guy did a cover version of this song- now that would be clever. I think Katy is sold out to the almighty dollar and she’s going to be very rich because of this song, but she may end up regretting it later on in life, esp. if she’s only known for that song and has to sing it at county fairs and lesbian cruises ‘ad nauseum’ the rest of her adult life. If she hadn’t “come from Christian music,” there’d be no controversy. But look at Britney Spears– she was known for her Christianity, as was Justin Timberlake, Jessica Simpson, and Miley Cyrus, and once they got into the larger than life pop world, they did things that most Christians would “tsk tsk” at. So Katy is just another singer to add to that list.

thanksallthesame

posted August 22, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Um, Katy is Katy’s business. And at this point, certainly not her parents’.”Train up a child…” If that is what they truly belive, then it is truly none of their business. Choose the music you allow in your children’s lives, but really, her “spiritual life” is none of our business either.

Ryan S

posted August 23, 2008 at 4:26 pm

From what I have been told by her brother the Daily Mail “twisted their words”. They’ve actually been quite supportive; they recently attended several of the Warped Tour events. They are even tolerant of homosexuality. Markus Molinari, Katy’s personal fag, spent x-mas holidays with them last year. She is just a fun individual having fun. The eldest of the three, Angela, is smart and laid back and the youngest, David is a mixture of the two; fun and impromptu, yet has an intelligent side. Their parents are much more accommodating that anyone would think. I also know that the parents regret giving that interview, not only because it was misconstrued, but because the family has an agreement not to talk to the press.
I just thought I’d try and clear it up, and for full disclosure I am one of her brother’s friends here in Oklahoma where he attends a Bible school.

carol Lawson

posted August 24, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Sounds like confusion about the Bible, Christianity, and Jesus to me. Let’s be clear that we are to be our brother’s keeper just by loving Katy (people) in warning of the teachings of Jesus. For one to ignore another in what my cause them harm only shows that love is not there. However many people began singing in church or gospel music, this does not make them a Christian!
Katy Perry may have a tattoo of Jesus on her wrist but the “doing” of what Jesus teaches is what “being” a Christian is. A Minister, singer. politician, whomever may say one thing and live a life against Christ Jesus.
Remember God so loved the world that he gave his only begotton Son that who so ever believes in Him will be saved. God sent not his Son into the world to condemn them but that they may be saved. The condemnation comes when one does what Christ Jesue is against. God (Jesus in the flesh) loves the sinner but hates the sin. God gives the spirit of truth the Holy Spirit, who is the beliver’s teacher to the regenerated heart of a person. Promotion of Homosexuality is one of the sin traps today in our world. God loves the person but hates the sin and in Christ they will become a new creation and turn from the sin.
Remember Obedience to Christ is the basis of assurance of one’s salvation and beliefs. Christ is Life. all who
believe in him are for life. This is another sin in our society. Abortion is not a choice with a true Christian.
Abortion destroys innocent life and those who are for abortion do not know Christ or love life.

anonymous

posted August 26, 2008 at 8:38 pm

The thing that bothers me the most is the JUDGEMENT that comes from the “Christian” community. People, like Katy’s pastor-parents, and others, want to pretend like this kind of stuff isn’t happening everyday within the Christian community, AND especially with pk’s (pastor’s kids), then they choose to be blind. The fact is, I spent alot of my adult life working with young people, specifically troubled youth, and MANY of whom were children of major Christian leaders, and this is par for the course, I must tell you. Katy is just in the public eye, but this is nothing new, my friends.
Its stupid to ask questions like, “was she really ever a Christian in the first place?” I mean, unless you are Jesus, I don’t think you have the authority to even THINK about answering that question. Just because your own struggles may not have been highly public or placed to catchy lyrics doesn’t mean they are any less “bad” in the eyes of Jesus. He who is without sin, go ahead… cast that stone.
At least she’s honest. Most Christians are just good at hiding their flaws – or what they perceive to be flaws. Her parents’ reply seems to denote they aren’t accepting who she is right now – as a young person finding her way through life, she isn’t responsible to keep up a front just to make her parents look good. Jesus, above all, wants us to Love. So instead of judging, why can’t we try to be like Him? And maybe, a good dose of Love will help people like Katy, and others who have been stifled in the judgemental Christian community, to find their true voice and what lies deep within their hearts.
(beause honestly, who wants anything to do with a group of people who are supposedly full of Love, yet are acting like a bunch of gossiping, nit-picky Hills characters? hmm? come on people – represent Him well here.)

Mats

posted August 28, 2008 at 7:39 am

Finally, it is all about money and fame. These are satan´s most favored instruments to catch people. It has always been this way, and it will always be this way. Humans have not changed in history. Nowadays, you really have to be very wise not to be trapped by satan. Parents have to tell their children about these facts, but finally, they cannot hinder their children from following satan. Teach your children to be wise, modest and humble and try to avoid any behavior that could be misused by the devil. For instance, many people, even within the christian scene, like it to be the centre of the universe. And some parents even support their children to be something special, to be more important than other people, to be the best singer, the best preacher or whatever within the christian community. This is all about arrogance. I think that Katy Perry always wanted to be something special, to be in the limelight, and probably her parents lifestyle also has something to do with it.

Joanne Brokaw

posted August 28, 2008 at 9:10 am

Mats, you made an interesting point: ” think that Katy Perry always wanted to be something special”.
You know what? Before she was born, Katy Perry was already special, because she was made in God’s image. I wonder how often we tell children that?
Joanne
host of the GS blog

missingthepoint

posted August 30, 2008 at 12:00 am

I refuse to call myself a christian anymore. It’s almost like checking the ‘Other’ box for your race on a form: White, African-American, Asian, Pacific-Islander, OTHER. That’s what Christians have been reduced to. If you can’t claim any other religion, then check the ‘christian’ box. I much prefer Christ-Follower. That means, I believe what the bible says about Jesus; about the prophecy of his coming, about the prophecy of his returning, about his work on the cross, about his being God in the flesh, about his sitting at the right hand of the Father as we speak, etc. I also believe you must read and digest every word. So to the person speaking of the Love of Christ and leaving out the Judgement of Christ don’t forget, when Jesus met the woman at the well he showed her love and compassion but told her to go and sin no more…that’s righteous judgement. When he entered the temple and turned over the tables of the money changers, that was the righteous judgement of Christ. Yes…Christ represents Love, but he equally represents righteous judgement. We, as followers of Christ, are called by the word of God, to RIGHTEOUSLY judge our christian brothers and sisters when they engaged in sinful acts or lifestyle. If we don’t, we will have to answer for it later. You can not pick and choose the parts of the bible or the characteristics of Christ that you like or that suit your every whim and leave the rest. You must take it all or nothing.
And to the Blog Host. Yes she was created in His image like we all were, but we are living in a ‘Me First’ society and it’s a huge problem. I understand the other posters point.

jessica

posted August 30, 2008 at 1:36 am

Wow, I’m seriously concerned that a blog would continue to use these “interviews” Those supposed interviews are completely made up!!! Katy Perry’s parents are 100% supportive, and attend most of her concerts. I think it’s very stupid to try to fit someone into a box. Why can’t a person be religious, AND push barriers? This psychobabble about homosexuality being a sin just makes me want to vomit.
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
Homosexuality isn’t a choice, so as a devout Christian one should know that instead of punishing homosexuals he or she should accept them. This article shows a complete lack of wisdom, because obviously you do not understand the difference. I chose to be gay the same day you chose to be straight. Those who justify their hatred of gays “because the bible tells them so” are obviously just picking and choosing, because if we lived as if the bible was the law, then women would still be slaves to their husbands, and daughters would be sold to their prospective husbands by their fathers. Seriously, blind faith is disgusting. Plus, Katy Perry is straight- if anyone has a right to be in an uproar, it’s the LGBT community, because this song degrades lesbians and promotes awful stereotypes. BUT, the song is really all in good humor, as well as the whole “miley cyrus kiss” Perry tried to instigate. It’s a JOKE. All you conservative christians should stay out of pop culture until you get a grip on sarcasm and the real world outside of church. Have a nice night!

Joanne Brokaw

posted August 30, 2008 at 8:25 pm

Jessica, that story was posted before I was told the Guardian misquoted her mom. Her mom kindly left a very nice comment clearing that up, which I’m sure you read.
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Katy Perry

posted August 31, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Listen guys my mum is very “ashamed of me.” But thats not going to make me stop singing cause thats what I love doing. God Bless

Darren

posted September 2, 2008 at 4:55 pm

If Katy’s parents really said that they are “deeply ashamed of her”, then that is a very sad thing indeed. Parents do not have to approve of everything their adult children do – they may or may not like her music, but if they are ashamed of her then the limits of their parental love have been found. Again, sad.
Now, I’m hearing that these quotes may not be genuine, I hope not. Katy’s songs may not have a “Christian” message in the traditional sense, but that is not evidence in any way about the condition of her heart or of God’s love for her. I think she knows that and is not really worried what any of us think anyways.

Laura Wagner

posted September 3, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Having experienced what Katy sings about, I know that “kissing a girl and liking it” can have real negative implications on your life. Like Alan mentions above, I did not choose the feelings I had when I entered puberty, but I did choose to act upon them. I chose to give in to my temptations and feelings toward the women in my life!
There was not such a public expression of homosexuality when I was growing up and dealing with this issue in my life and it was still a major issue in my life. If we allow our kids – and even ourselves – to listen to things of this nature we are opening the door to some potentially major problems.
I don’t know if I think this song promotes homosexuality, but I do know that teen girls think Katy is cool and if kissing girls get you that way then they may try it too. I don’t know where Katy stands in her faith, her relationship with her family, or her romantic relationships, but I do know that by singing a song like this she is abusing a medium that was meant for much better.
Katy could do better, not because the song is horrible, but because she has some talent and she’s wasting it by promoting sex! If she wants to be treated like an adult, she needs to quit acting like a child. She deserves better than she is giving to herself.
In my experience, it was not a choice to be attracted to women but it was a choice to kiss the girl. The hope I found in the music I listened to helped me during a very difficult time in my life when darkness surrounded me. If this is the kind of music that hurting people are listening to, from where will the hope come?

Alan Chambers

posted September 3, 2008 at 8:20 pm

There is a statement above that says, “Homosexuality isn’t a choice.” To that I must say is only partly true. While no one wakes up one morning and chooses to be attracted to the same sex, everyone has a choice as to how they are going to respond to sexual urges and temptations.
I am one of those Christian kids that reached puberty and realized that contrary to what I wanted or asked for I was exclusively attracted to members of my same sex. According to Oprah and our culture that meant I was gay end of story, right? NO. I had a choice to act on those feelings or to be obedient to what I knew was God’s best for me and His creative intent for human sexuality.
While I did get involved in gay life for a period of time and spent years giving into my feelings and temptations I finally made a choice to do what I knew was right—leave homosexuality and choose to surrender my sexuality to Christ who was far more important to me than my feelings or gay life.
I not only found that obedience was far better than living by my feelings but dealing with some of the roots of my struggle allowed me to find a lot of freedom from those feelings that I once allowed to define me.
Today, I am living 15 years beyond gay life and any involvement in homosexuality. I have been married for almost 11 years and I have two awesome kids. None of those things prove that I’m not able to fall or to be tempted, but they are remarkable proof that God is able to do anything when we submit our will to His Lordship.
I am terribly sad that Katy is “working out her salvation” while leading millions of teenage girls astray—the Bible calls that a stumbling block and it is far more serious than simply kissing another girl.
Alan Chambers

PastorN

posted September 6, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Came here via the link to Joanne’s June article. How nice of Katy (assuming that was really Katy posting, not someone else using her name) to be reading this article and post here. I believe God will heal any rift between her and her parents, ‘cuz that’s what Jesus is all about, and I know it’s God’s thing that she sing, since we’re commanded to sing in the Bible more than we are to do almost anything else. HOWEVER, I hope that she who has the name of the Lord tatooed on her wrist recognizes the far surpassing value of obeying the sing urge/command as it most often appears — “Sing TO THE LORD.” Keep singing because it’s what you love to do, Katy, but now that you have star power, PLEASE sing words and live a life that will warm God’s heart instead of break it. (The benefits to your heart will be even better than any moonman, too!)

Anonymous

posted September 6, 2008 at 3:21 pm

hahaha… it’s funny you people actually believe everything you read. If you ever went to Katy Perry’s blog she sounds off about this and I would believe her over any money hungry reporter anyday. btw. if you think Katy would actually post here… you probably think santa is real as well.

PastorN

posted September 14, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Just a note to the rude individual who came here to do little more than to put people down anonymously (See September 6, 2008 3:21 PM): you’re getting a little pot & kettle action, as you still direct “(us) people,” at whom you’re laughing, to Katy’s blog, which is also something one must read and choose to believe or not, just as you did. I consider everything I read critically, thanks, whether it’s on this blog, Katy’s blog or anywhere else online, and thus threw a parenthetical “assuming that” disclaimer into my comment…perhaps you were too busy dreaming up clever put-downs to have noticed. Show a little respect to other posters, please, even if they don’t share your views.

Mikaela

posted September 27, 2008 at 1:38 am

Well I have heard rumors that she is coming back to christ so that is a good thing. & I hear that song all the time from my friends @ school.

Db

posted October 2, 2008 at 6:45 am

This was bound to happen sooner or later. Record companies for the most part are interested in a profit, Most Christian record labels don’t have standards by which they accept artist talent. I tried talking to several labels about this about 6 years ago but none of them had the management systems in place to be able to find out about a persons life and history with the Lord before signing them. And how could this really be done anyway? I always felt like it should be done because I knew this was going to happen but how to do it effectively is yet another question. One thing for sure Katy isn’t the only one with this rebellion in her heart she is only the one that was brave enough to take it to the next level. We have to be understanding with her although it does hurt my heart that she has chosen this path. We have to know that she is blinded and doesn’t fully understand the consequences of her actions. We should all be praying about the whole Christian Record Label situation and for Katy as well..However I do feel that someone should start an organization to monitor how Christian record labels sign artist talent and slap God and Christianity across their product. Just seems like they should also be held accountable by someone other than God. I know he will ultimately be the judge but he also gave us some responsibility over what happens.

Jillian

posted October 17, 2008 at 2:57 pm

The record industry is full of sinners looking to make money. It’s called business. Katy followed a larger dream. Business minded, she made a marketable CD to the masses. God gave her a gift, and God gave her the power to follow a dream. She is still a Christian, even though she sings about todays issues as appose to issues from biblical times. Sure she made a powerful statement with her first single, but as time passes she won’t have to be so bold and can focus on the music she wants to make. In the meantime, she’ll do as the industry wants and pass her benefits of the industry to Christian values. I will not be surprised to see her spread some of her new wealth to good Christian causes.

Sara

posted October 26, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Katy Perry is one of my favorite singers. I am a Christian as well but I truly identify with Katy. I have done some wrong things in my life but it doesn’t mean I’m any less of a Christian. I’m 19 years old and I view the lyrics of Katy’s songs as how the everyday young adult thinks today. I don’t take lyrics of songs seriously anyways, but the songs I do take seriously are the ones that hit home with what I have been through in my life. I really wish everyone will lighten up. It’s very pressuring out there for a teen or a young adult which is why I left my Baptist church (which I will return to eventually). I felt like I was being judged and like I didn’t belong since I hadn’t had the perfect upbringing as some of the other youth in my church. You don’t know what goes through someone’s mind when they write a song or when they’re just being themselves. Most likely, it’s the same thing we’re all guilty for. This is why I left the church. I couldn’t be myself and a Christian all in one place.

James

posted November 1, 2008 at 6:42 am

Db, I agree with you, EXCEPT this…
Quote “One thing for sure Katy isn’t the only one with this rebellion in her heart she is only the one that was brave enough to take it to the next level.”
There are Christian music artists that are brave enough not to take sin to the next level.

M

posted November 1, 2008 at 6:14 pm

[I already posted this on another Katy Perry related-entry, but I thought it’d be appropriate here, too.]
As an unperfect Christian, I have to say that Katy Perry shouldn’t be looked down upon or thought to be “giving the middle finger” to her Christian faith. NObody is perfect, except for the All Mighty One. When you point one finger, there are at least three point straight back at you.
Artists write about what they know, what they experience, what they feel, so I wouldn’t look too deeply into some lyrics like “I kissed a girl” from a former Christian musical artist, because she’s obviously writing about what’s on her mind at the moment. People struggle, they make mistakes, they LIVE. I don’t think that anyone here is in a position to judge anyone else, because WE ALL SIN. It’s what one does after the fact that defines them. And although it might seem that Perry’s chosen to cash in on mainstream musical fame, who’s to say that she’s not still trying to walk a straight path? We can observe her actions and think naught, but only she and God really know what’s real.
To those who apparently think ALL Christian musicians should be perfect, think again. You think that just because someone’s singing about Jesus, that they’re all perfect and pure? Again, as an unperfect Christian, I’d have to disagree, because WE ALL SIN. They’re people like you and me, who struggle with the trials and tribulations that life brings each and every day – but they write songs about it. If you’re looking for a perfect role model, look no more than to people like Jesus or the Virgin Mary, and then you won’t be disappointed.
It’s not people like Katy Perry that make Christians look bad, it’s people who are too quick to JUDGE other people’s actions. Jesus forgives, so why can’t you?

Matt

posted November 1, 2008 at 7:01 pm

As I said before on another post, I’m not even sure if these are her songs. Most likely, someone just recognized her beauty and talent and her potential to make them money. So she had the choice between pop sensation and little known Christian artist.
Check out this group on facebook:

Joanne Brokaw

posted November 1, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Hey, all! Since this post was written months ago, and for some reason is getting a lot of readers lately, I just want to remind you all that Katy’s mom left a message on the board saying that the story in the UK paper was misleading and she was misquoted.
I think the Katy Perry story, at this point, is really that she did a Christian album, and now she’s a mainstream artist, and that’s that.
Joanne
host of the GS blog

tirabasso

posted November 2, 2008 at 1:40 am

I think it just shows that she gave into the flesh and sin. In this world that is easy to do ..does not make it right. After all Paul walked with Jesus and denied him…how much easier is it for us. We need to stay in prayer and read and meditate on the bible. and stay away from sitations that will lead us to sin. Sin is fun does not mean its good for us or right.

T

posted November 6, 2008 at 12:13 am

All good points to read…but here’s a simple thought. I’m sitting here alone in my home right now, next to a beautiful fire place. I’m a believer and have been tested myself in life, and I’ve certainly not been perfect, but man do I work at being the Woman God created me to be every day.
So, if God were to walk through my front door tonight and just want to hang with me and tell me how much He loves and forgives and cares for me, how would I respond?
“Jesus, thank you thank you for everything”…. (And then start to sing) I love you Lord and I lift my voice to worship you oh my soul rejoice, take joy my King in what you hear, may it be a sweet sweet sound in your ear.
Living a life for Jesus is a big responsibility and a gift. You can’t just turn it on or off. You’re either on or off the fence. When I fall into the arms of Jesus I will be held accountable for everything I’ve done in life and that includes the songs that I write and record and sing infront of thousands myself. There is no reason to judge anyone, I know God will have the final say, but consider for a moment the dinner music you’d play if Jesus were your guest of honor tonight.
For me it would NOT be Katy Perry’s music…I would never want to play that for Him and He’d NEVER want to hear it I’m quite sure.
So that’s life….making choices…and trying to make the right choices in music, in movies, in life. What goes in, must come out.

Laura

posted November 19, 2008 at 11:37 pm

Personally I think if she IS a Christian she should not promote ANY type of sin in her music. Whether she was involved in writing the song or not, she still consented to SING it. It’s not only “I kissed a girl” that goes against her beliefs, other songs on her album do too. There’s a difference about talking about someone doing something in a song, and praising it. I’m not saying Katy is not saved, she just doesn’t take “living above reproach” seriously.
There’s no reason to hate her, but if you don’t like her music, don’t buy it, and don’t talk about her. It will help her popularity go down, and she might learn that it’s better to be listening to her heart of her God, instead of the record companies. :( Just a thought. I really, do hope she turns to God for more than easy believability, and starts really exploring her faith.

Your Name

posted December 2, 2008 at 4:59 pm

What dangers abound for all christian teenagers like the Jonas bros?
They cant live in a bubble….they are regulsr teens and twentysomethings just like the non famous ones. The issue is lets stop this celebrity worship and upholding them so when they do “fall like Katy Perry” were not crushed and writing blogs about are they saved or unsaved! Their people who have to live and learn just like us nonfamous.

John

posted December 3, 2008 at 12:47 am

Like it or not, Jesus Christ does not condone sin. If sin was punishable under the Old Covenant then its even more so punishable under the New Covenant. Yeah, Peter denied Jesus – but it was in a situation where acknowledging Christ would cost him his life. Relating Peter’s situation to our American selfishness and apostasy is hardly admirable. We’ll deny Jesus when there’s food on the table, shelter over our heads and a car in the driveway. Let alone denying Him when our lives are on the line. Come on. Like He said Himself, if people act this way when the tree is green, what will happen when the tree withers?
There has got to be a line drawn where we declare without apology that those who refuse to believe in Christ and insist on living their own lives will perish. It is this that should motivate us to preach in repentance, or turning away from, sin. Yes, God is a gracious and compassionate God. He longs to forgive and pardon – when we actually are admittedly sorry for our sin and make effort to refuse it. The hard heart that takes Jesus sacrifice and boldly insults it by their no-excuse life of sin is worthy of more punishment than someone who’s never even heard of Jesus and His gospel (of which there are still so many who have not even heard it for the first time).
Judge for yourself. We always have a choice, even teenagers, about what to do with the time we are given. If Katy is choosing to spend her life in sin with the knowledge she has about Jesus, then that is her decision. And she will reap what she sows, whether in this life or the next. We can’t be ashamed of doing what’s right. If she is willing to toss away her obvious knowledge of Christ – and her upbringing, then it is not God who sends her to hell. She sends herself.
But as I always say, “If you’re alive then you still have a chance to repent and come to Jesus.” Life is a gift, and she’s obviously not dead. She’s got mom praying for her. I’d say the least we can do is get involved and ask the Lord to remember her and the prayers of her mother. Save her Lord Jesus, and bring her out of this mess….

Carlen

posted December 10, 2008 at 11:17 am

nothing pleases Satan more than to use a holy vessel(believers)for unholy purposes…Our world as a whole is changing and becoming more “tolerant” of certain lifestyles and ideas that we as self proclaimed Christians shouldn’t ignore, blow off or sweep under the table. The only problem I have with Katy Perry is that she announced herself as someone who loves the Lord and who is a Christian yet knowingly does the opposite of her beliefs. Don’t involve God if you don’t want to involve yourself in your walk with Him. There’s a reason we are to voice our love for Christ– saying it makes it a decree. You don’t tell someone you love them then do everything you can to prove to them you don’t. Let your yes be yes and your no be no.

Steven

posted December 10, 2008 at 2:20 pm

First I would like to say, I believe Katy Perry is a Christian. What defines us as Christians though, is it our actions we take? Is it the “I am Chrisitan so I must do the right thing everyday of my life” lifestyle? I don’t think what Perry is doing is wrong. She is just living among the younger generation today, which I am also apart of. Everyone thinks horrible things about her songs, but the truth is that they are fantastic. She is an artist.
I personally adore the tattoo of Jesus she has on her wrist. I would probably get one too, but my profession does not allow it. I think she is devout but in her own personal way. She has her own relationship with Jesus much like you and I. Perry is not promoting anything by her messages in her songs, she is just being herself. Everyone reads into everything way too much nowadays. Our generations are evolving and becoming more tolerant, is that so horrible? I thought, Jesus taught us to be tolerant and love everyone. I don’t understand why everyone is making such a hooplaa about the whole fiasco. Perry is an artist that I hope thrives and continues to be successful.
Love ya Katy.

Dude Man

posted December 10, 2008 at 3:02 pm

If Katy is truly a Christian from the heart, that she has repented and accepted the Savior, Christ, then she like the rest of us Christians who fall away will be corrected and punished by the Lord to bring her back to the truth, which may be anything from misfortune to death.
If she is not a Christian from the heart, then her heart will be hardened and she will be left to indulge in her sinful desires like the rest of the World, and her blood will be on her own head. She will be judged according to what she has done.

Mercutio

posted December 15, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Katy Perry is just being a young person. I dont think she’s terrible and i wouldn’t go putting her on the list of people to become saints either. She as a Christian doesn’t relect Christ in her music as much as I’d perfer but she isn’t a bad role model. “I Kissed a Girl” was a chart topper because it was catchy, original, creative, and daring. It doesn’t promote homosexuality. Lyrics are Lyrics. Some people wonder why Kanye West talks about Jesus. Kanye’s is one of Jesus’ people as is Katy and any other person who confesses it with their mouth and believes with their heart.

Your Name

posted December 18, 2008 at 3:31 pm

This song does not “promote” or endorse homosexuality. The song is about a girl who decides to see what its like to kiss another girl “just to try it”. American tweens, teens, and twenty somethings, are craving experience not rhetoric. Kissing is not sex. The most outlandish and outrageous part of this story is the intense amount of shame her parents have placed on her for individuating and coming to terms with her spirituality and worldview on her own. Sadly, their efforts to condemn, shame, and ultimately control her behavior are probably the reason she finds it necessary to “try” the things she is trying. I have no doubt that her parents love her, and truly desire her to behave in manor that honors them and honors the God they serve, but publicly shaming her and disowning her will not be the means to that end. As I mentioned earlier, this next generation craves experience, and being sheltered, even by the most well-intentioned parents, makes kids feel lied to when they experience life for themselves. When your theology matches reality, i.e. love your neighbor or in this case your daughter, as yourself gives you a platform and embues you with the respect of the person you are reaching out to and ultimately trying to help. Shame is always counterproductive.

Bob

posted December 19, 2008 at 2:07 am

What is so wrong with being gay! Even if Katy’s song endorsed homosexuality so what. Can you look out and see that being gay is not a sin. Why would god make a person gay if he didnt want them to be gay! If anyone can answer this question I would be very pleased to find your answer

Reminder

posted December 19, 2008 at 2:19 am

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! All you are doing is sitting around on a computer writing about a person you have never met, never seen, and never known. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for judging a poor girl! Do you not think she has enough trouble dealing with her life as it is! Just please all of you look inside your spirit and ask “what would Jesus do” And I believe Jesus would walk up to her and give her a great big hug and he knows Katy better than Katy knows herself, so only he could judge her.

Joanne Brokaw

posted December 19, 2008 at 6:54 am

I just thought I’d remind you all that I did an upate on this story for my “year in review.” I explain how this whole story came about and give some insight into how disappointed I am that it’s still a hot topic.
Joanne
host of the Gospel Soundcheck blog

Lena

posted December 19, 2008 at 11:12 pm

I do not believe any parents, especially pastors, would ever feel ashamed, or disappointed for their child. I believe that the song contributes to her human feelings, meaning everyone has had a thought about their sexuality, or feelings in the heat of the moment, by no one should be judged by those. Katy Perry is a human, with fleshly wants, and fleshly desires, God however created us humans, he knows we think those things, or desire them. I do not believe in any way that she should be judged or harassed by evangelical groups for being so bold and stating what she feels. In one of her other songs “lost,” I believe it to be a true and real feeling that Christian, teenagers face. Judging a person for being real, and stating how they feel, is wrong, would God judge someone…no! He loves everyone no matter what they feel, say and do.

Your Name

posted December 21, 2008 at 11:39 pm

hi BOB, here my attempt to answer your question…so, because God made people that want to do drugs, does it make it right for them to do them? God also made people that want to murder people, does that make it right for them to do it? obvious answers…
in my opinion, just because you are tempted to have sex with the same sex person, does not make it right…we all have struggles we need to seek healing for.

Solomon's Key

posted December 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm

There is a reason that God destroyed Sodom & Gomorrah! Homosexuality is one of them. I agree with the parents in that she is promoting homosexuality. According to the bible, this is a sin. They are right. She’s also making it seem like an it’s not a big deal to explore with the same sex even if your not gay. That is a deplorable message. For those of you who ask what’s wrong with being gay, stop trying to change the meaning of the bible to keep doing what ever it is that your doing.
Leviticus 18:22 “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.”
Romans 1:24-27 “Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.”

Your Name

posted December 24, 2008 at 1:04 am

i listened to the song today on the radio now that i know katy is a christian… you can actually tell in her lyrics that, she knows its wrong and was just experimenting. she is in my prayers.

GEYA

posted December 28, 2008 at 7:17 pm

I know that Her parents are not ashamed of Her. They came to My church a few weeks back and Her father talked to Us about it and did say that they didnt like the song and they will pray for their Daughter. she knows because of the way that she was raised! Her parents are awesome people! They are very strong people and Katy is lucky to have parents like them. They do go to some of Her shows to show Her support but they do not aggree on that song.

Your Name

posted January 5, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Solomon’s Key,
Not to get into a theological debate (I simply don’t have time to undo centuries of fear and ignorance that have led to your misinterpretation of levitical laws and their relevancy today (Holiness Code of Leviticus)… OR… your comparison of sexual orientation as we know it today with a historical cult (Bacchus) that practiced idolatry and temple prostitution including hetero and homosexual sex (Romans 1)… or the most obviously the contextual error of saying that homosexuality was the issue in Sodom and Gommorrah, instead of realizing that the attempt of the crowd to “know” the angels was not to pleasure themselves, but to demean outsiders by raping them and shaming them publicly) but I would like to address the spirit of your comment. The turn or burn approach you are utilizing is creating an environment where basic civil and human rights are denied to individuals, and where the “us vs them” mentality has lead to deadly violence and savage attacks on gays and lesbians. Do not forget that God has given each of us free will, and that each person must find his/her own way to redemption. Honestly though, we get it, you don’t agree with homosexuality. You are completely allowed to state your opinion, but I do denounce your attempt to simplify the Word of God to such a degree that it ostricizes and demonizes an entire demographic of people. I do not wish to stand idly by whilst you perpetuate the same ignorance that has harmed gay and lesbians for years, by taking scripture out of context and quoting it as fact. As I stated previously, in my post regarding shame being counter-productive, this song has very little to do with homosexual orientation or experimentation, and more to do with rebellion and experiencing something that is taboo. I am not shocked or appalled at Katy Perry for rebelling against her parents… frankly, that is a very adolescent/young adult thing to do. There is the possibility that she is testing their theology, and if that is the case, I believe they have failed where it counts the most. You can disagree with your child’s free will choices without shaming them and denouncing them. God does not have grandchildren after all, only sons and daughters, who choose as individuals to follow Him. Her parents have failed to unconditionally love their daughter, choosing instead to protect their careers or image, by publicly saying they are “ashamed”. She feels that rejection, no doubt, and I guarantee it will not motivate her to seek solace in their counsel or advice. Jesus never mentioned same-sex love or covenant or any form of homosexuality. The point is that the true heart of God, and especially Christ, is a heart of redemption. This entire religion is predicated upon the fact that all have sinned, that there in none righteous, no not one, and that the payment for our sins individually and collectively was the blood of Jesus. We get so focussed on calling out other people’s sins that we lose our love, our hope for the redemption of all God’s children, and end up hating our brothers and sisters… homosexuals, muslims, and ex-christian music artists alike.

Mike R

posted January 15, 2009 at 2:50 am

The problem also lies with why the person wants to put out an album. Is it to be a “christian artist” or is it to minister to the lives of those listening?? I think the term “christian artist” is incorrect and should not even be something we (christians) should divulge and brag about because I for one would not like to use my music talent to be considered a “christian artist”. I want to be a minister of God, through my musical ability and if i happen to get an album out, then thats awesome but that would not be my goal. In katy hudson’s/Perry’s case it might not have been so and she just wanted to put an album out, christian or not. She has a talented voice that can be used for ministering lives, but the secular world just painted a picture more appealing to her weak flesh.

Counselor In Ohio

posted January 17, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Here’s a quote from a previous post I find provocative. “Jesus never mentioned same-sex love or covenant or any form of homosexuality.” One thing Jesus did state, however, was that he came to “fulfill” the Law and the Prophets (Matthew 5:18). One can reasonably assume that His opinion of homosexuality was aligned with theirs, and an honest reader with any hermeneutic integrity admits that the OT and NT both roundly condemn homosexuality. I won’t portend to have insight into Ms. Perry’s eternal destination, but one would be on solid theological grounds to point out that Christians who value the directives of Scripture measure the appropriateness of their behaviors against Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 10:31, “Whether, then, you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God.” Rick Warren aptly began his NY Times best-seller “The Purpose-Driven Life” with the inspiring words, “It’s not about you!” God is glorified on His terms as He defines them in the Bible, not according to our often self-centered slants and misinterpretations. Our behavior, if it is to glorify Him, certainly must not promote the things that God has clearly stated in the Bible that He abhors! I wholeheartedly support Ms. Perry’s (as well as everyone else’s) very temporal privilege of self-determination and choice of life direction. I would not go so far as to call this a “right” however, because to have a “right” implies that no consequences would ever be imposed for a choice that God would at no future time condemn or bring to accountability. All Ms. Perry’s behavior that fails to bring glory to God and give evidence of worship with all her heart, soul, mind and strength will be brought to account at the believer’s judgment and properly labeled as “wood, hay and stubble” (1 Corinthians 3:11-15). So will mine along side hers. It is the appropriate role of her parents to dissuade her in every way they feel appropriate from choosing this kind of life path. The reality of this coming Day so overwhelmingly overshadows any temporal “fun” or “success” Ms. Perry may be experiencing, I applaud her parents for disregarding the chorus of criticism and belittling from those who “…know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, who not only do (the things Ms. Perry’s parents are calling sin), but also give hearty approval to those who practice them” (Romans 1:32). That is to be expected. “Shame” is appropriate when it’s intended purpose is to act as a “red flag” warning about a wrong life direction. A taste of shame in this life is a small, microscopic dose of the weight of shame that millions upon billions will bear for eternity separated from God once this life is over. Ironically, it is “unrighteous shame” that is the weapon of choice wielded maniacally and spasmodically against those who would insist that God has communicated moral absolutes in a clear, concise manner in Scripture, and that all (even those who enjoy the temporal privilege of not believing in Him, His moral principles, or His path to salvation exclusively in Jesus) will one day, very much against their wills and in spite of any protest,be held accountable for their dissonance with them. In light of this, were Ms. Perry coming to my counseling office and asking for my guidance on growing and maturing as a Christian, I would certainly recommend that she reevaluate her more recent career choices against Paul’s admonition of 1 Thessalonians 5:22 to “…abstain from all appearance of evil” (KJV).

Michael J

posted January 19, 2009 at 4:27 pm

From what it sounds like, Katy is an average, normal Christian child. I’ve been a youth leader for years and I have seen kids come from very sheltered backgrounds and from very liberal Christian backgrounds, and also from backgrounds ranging from atheist to agnostic to various other religions. It sounds like Katy’s parents did shelter her – she may have never got the chance to make her faith her own. It’s a big issue that is much bigger than a “she is/isn’t a Christian”. She’s searching, like anyone. Maybe her parents drove her away from faith, maybe not. Maybe she’s saved, maybe not. That’s not for my or anyone else to say but Christ. I think we should pray for her. If my experience counts for anything, this is a child that will not be lead to Christ by her past or by her parents. God is going to have to grab her and change her heart.

Counselor In Ohio

posted January 28, 2009 at 1:59 pm

One of the chief tenets (and often one of the most frustrating aspects) of the world of counseling psychology is our trying to find a linear cause for someone’s aberrant behavior…if we discover the causation, we can more effectively develop a cure. For the rebel, we postulate that it must be the overbearing parents, smothering the child with their intolerable religion…no wonder she rebelled! As we in the listening public “gather our data” we must guard against the insidious mantra of the media that is almost orgasmic with glee over the prospect that Ms. Perry has shunned the stultifying faith of her parents to join them in the liberating freedom of the “do what feels good” world view. Their siren song would lull us to believe that Ms. Perry “must have” been oppressed to rebel against Christian values to the degree she has, and that this behavior is “typical”, “average” or “normal”, maybe even justified and warranted, to throw off that suppression. Unequivocally, that’s a load of crap! The power of the fallen sin nature in a person is more than adequate to overcome the most understanding, nurturing and Christ-like parenting if one chooses to give in and submit to it. Good parents occasionally produce pagan idolaters, and evil parents occasionally produce committed missionaries…often enough to make “parenting experts” who are looking for rock-solid linear causation in parenting methodologies and practices have fits! We really don’t know what “nurture” issues influenced her to make the decisions she has, at most the results in her life can merely raise suspicions which we must hold tenuously and cautiously, if we feel we must hold on them at all. Now for my “hypocritical” moment: in spite of all I maintain about unpredictable linear causality between good parenting and healthy children, I’m not comfortable labeling Ms. Perry’s behavior as “average” or “normal” for Christian young people. Perhaps in the youth group of the church at Laodicea, but this kind of extreme behavior is usually seen on the fringes of many effective youth groups. Perhaps this is because an effective youth program deals head on with the roles of identity, differentiation and “launching” in a young Christian’s human development, and exposes the illusion of those healthy aspects of growing up that “rebellion” tries to (ineffectively) mimic. If Ms. Perry’s behavior ever does actually achieve the status of “average” or “normal” in the majority of Christian youth groups in America, and youth leaders acquiesce to this status, heaven help us!

Joanne Brokaw

posted January 28, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Thanks for the insight! You make some excellent points, especially about good parents and problems kids, and vice versa.
I would just add that while there are a lot of Christian teens who go on to college and never stray from their faith, I would hardly call those who begin to explore their own individual relationship with God, and in doing so walk off the path for a while, as extreme or fringe.
That’s kind of the problem with American Christianity – it looks like the rest of the country, from divorce rates to premarital sex (even though Christian teens delay their experiences, they are just as likely to engage in it as non-Christians). I don’t have any answers, but I don’t want to gloss over it, either, and pretend that Christian teens are all perfect or never stray.
Thanks!
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Counselor In Ohio

posted January 28, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Good thoughts, Joanne! I think something we need to begin to do as Christians is to stop defining “normal” as “the thing that typically happens”, and begin to communicate to young people (as I try to do with each one I work with) that “normal” actually is a vibrant, enthusiastic and focused pursuit of Christ with all one’s heart, soul, mind and strength regardless of where the world around us is going…and to do otherwise may be frequently observed in today’s teens and young adults, but absolutely NOT normal! If those who have the most influence over young adults communicate that sinful (yeah, I said the word!) rebellion is anything short of a foolish tragedy, those are the very folks who Scripture says should be getting fitted out for a heavy mill stone, and prepping for a short swim! That doesn’t mean we freak out when a Christian young person takes a circumspect turn from what we’d consider the “straight and narrow”…we’re not surprised by that! But we don’t have to treat that as “normal,” “to be expected”, or in any way OK with the Father. He’s not up in Heaven rolling His eyes, chuckling to Himself, “Oh, those crazy kids! I’ll just have to catch up to them later!” Our attitude about a young person’s rebellion (like Ms. Perry’s) must be the same as the Spirit…grief! For too long our blase’ response to errant young people has been passive and accepting, probably more for the sake of not pissing them off too much, or because we’re still justifying our own sin and rebellion in some other area of our life! There is a proper, measured and appropriate response we can make, however, that offers an invitation to re-consider foolishness, repent of sin, and return to worship along with others who’ve traveled the same path. It involves cunning, love and patience….but it absolutely has NOTHING to do with the unloving, self-centered stance of calling rebellion a “normal, natural part of life.” That notion wreaks of sulfur, straight from the mind of the evil one, and we’ve got do everything in our power to persuade responsible adults to stop advocating it, for the sake of the young generation we raise.

lynn

posted February 8, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Definitely Katy Perry is doing “her thing” instead of God’s thing.
If you believe that the Bible teaches against homosexuality and defines the behavior as sin, then you would have to say she is promoting a behavior through her song that is immoral and sinful.
I think the Youth Pastor may be right. Did she ever make her faith her own? Did she ever have a personal encounter with Jesus Christ that changed her life and gave her a desire to glorify God.
I think it would be very difficult to live and work in the secular music industry without caving into the pressure to compromise one’s beliefs. We are what we are around. That world encourages a “whatever is right for you” belief system and to buck against it means hurting your business. You can be a Christian in that world, as long as you also believe that one can be a homosexual, muslim, or anthing else and still be acceptable to God.

JD

posted April 10, 2009 at 3:43 pm

My heart is heavy for this young lady. I don’t condemn her, but I also don’t believe that she has ever accepted Christ. For this reason I don’t believe she should be referred to as a Christian. Serving the Lord because you love Him is evidence of true faith. Perhaps she loves her parents dearly and deeply, but recalling my days of youth, loving my parents was never a good enough reason to truly love and serve God. However, once I came to know Him, pleasing Him became paramount.
I also don’t believe in holding the unsaved to a standard that can only be lived out by someone who relies heavily on the Holy Spirit and God’s Word to attain. In our weakness, He is strong. But the unsaved live in their sin-weakened state without the strength of the Seavior who loves them. Her behavior will change, when her heart changes and not before. Only the power of God through salvation can change her heart.

Dave

posted April 10, 2009 at 4:47 pm

The real “disgusting” thing here is that you people still believe that something such as that is a sin.
Really, now, just because a book that’s nothing more than an elaborate bit of fiction tells you that gay people are evil, is that really a reason to base your life on that ideal?
The real “disgusting” thing here is that you all live your life by such a rigid code of ethics, and it’s because you feel that some book told you to.
If any of you really have the “love of God”, and I use that term loosely, considering that there is no God, then shouldn’t you accept everyone?
All of you people are close-minded, and it used to make me sad, but now it just makes me angry.
If you believe in a fake spirit, fine, more power to you.
But do not push it on people who aren’t willing to listen to your preaching, and far be it beyond you, even if you feel that “God” has spoken to you (he hasn’t-you’re just hearing voices because you are all crazed), it doesn’t give you the right to get on your soap box and start throwing out hateful comments.
You don’t see me preaching Atheism and it’s quirks to you all, even if it might be better to be Atheist than it is to be a programmed robot following everything a book tells you.
You have all based your lives off of a work of fiction, and there are scientific studies that prove there is no God.
It would be the same thing if you all based a religion off of Harry Potter.
But I forgot.
You don’t read those because they’re evil and promote witchcraft.
You are all disgusting.
You are the real disgusting people.
And you should keep your opinions to yourself.
Just keep your close-minded mouths shut, lock yourself in your house, and die in obscurity, please.

JD

posted May 4, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I have noticed that there is a pattern to the success of performers who start out in the church, then take their talent to the world. It always seems they shine brightly for a season, garner a lot of popularity and support, then they fade and they slip into obscurity. The people that support her current choice, are the same people who will stop buying her music, when they begin to label her passe. But the Lord’s love will never fade and His compassion will always be toward her, awaiting her return. That’s the beauty of Christ.

Advocate

posted May 26, 2009 at 6:48 am

>> Is Katy Perry a Christian and if not, how did she get a Christian record deal?
Just because someone’s beliefs do not correspond exactly with your own, does not mean they cannot be considered a Christian… there are many divisions and interpretations of the Bible and Christianity, what right does anyone have to state that their interpretation of scripture is accurate, and thereby condemn the interpretations of others? Granted, there are passages in the old Testament that appear to condemn homosexuality, but there are plenty of passages that you would not interpret literally anymore, such as not eating animals with cloven hoof, or barring those with less than perfect sight from the clergy (if you don’t know what I’m talking about, see Leviticus, I think Chapter 20).
>> And here’s another question: even if you don’t agree with your parents’ beliefs, do you have a responsibility to not flaunt your opposition? Or is there an age at which you can do whatever you want, regardless of who you hurt or embarrass?
Your analysis of this situation is disturbingly one sided. You raise a valid point, but you fail to consider the converse situation: should Katy’s parents, who should be older and wiser, be flouting their opposition so publicly either? Being Christians, and apparently pastors, perhaps they should know better? You may say it is their responsibility to spread the word of God, but is the best way to do so by publically attacking their daughter? Her mother responds so vehemently against homosexuality that it makes me wonder if she’d love her neighbour if he or she were gay?

Joanne Brokaw

posted May 26, 2009 at 6:54 am

Adcocate, that comment wasn’t to question what a Christian is, but what defines Christian music. There’s used to be guidelines for what constituted Christian music – what it is musically or lyrically, what behavior was expected from artists, etc. Not that those guidelines were good, but the questions I have are more about defining Christian music.
Joanne
host of the GS blog

Michelle Walling

posted July 13, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Dave, I am curious as to what scientific tests prove that there is no God. could you please expand on that? And yes, many Christians do give off a judgemental vibe, but Christians who imitate Christ’s teaching believe as Christ states to “Love your neighbor as yourself”. Now who can we love more than ourselves? This type of sacrificial love is anything but judgemental in itself but can easily be twisted by a messed up, jealous humanity to become judgemental. The generalizations that are being made here about Christians are sad because the Christians that I know are some of the most loving, sacrificial, and accepting people. They may have a universal standard they hold on to, but is it not true that everyone holds to a certain ethical standard? Just a question to ponder…

Lola

posted September 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm

I strongly agree with Dave. As for Homosexuality being a ”sin” and a ”disgusting” thing. It’s been proven that being gay is NOT a choice. You people here are very judgemental and hypocritcal. You don’t demean people and deny people of other religions or races marrige rights and equality do you? Then why homosexuality? And as for scientific tests that prove that there is no god? Where are the tests the prove there is a god?

Stefanie

posted January 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Wow, all I can say after reading all this hateful rhetoric about homosexuality and abortion (this article has nothing to do with abortion, what a nut!) is I am so glad I attend a CHRISTIAN church that loves EVERYONE where they are! There is none of this love the sin, hate the sinner nonsense. Just love…for the people most vulnerable and oppressed in society. We have people of all races and ages and sexual orientations, all doing good for the Glory of God.
And as for Katy Perry, I think there are bigger problems in the world than a song about kissing a girl. Like war, genocide, extreme poverty, veteran homelessness, and sex trafficking. Wake up people and do something that will HELP someone and further the kingdom of God!

Ashley

posted March 2, 2010 at 8:20 am

Ok People shouldn’t judge the parents here. All parents get upset when thier children stray from the religious beliefs that they teach their children. It doesn’t matter what kind of faith you have. And alot of the people here commenting on this are being overly critical themselves. Think about it. Both of the parents here are not only parents who are watching their child stray from thier belief system but it is also their profession. She is speaking out against everything her parents work for on a daily basis. Think about it if you were raised a muslim and your child started singing and recording music for the Christian community would the parents be happy about that? I mean seriously it seems like people seem to think that Katy Perry can publicly display all of her beliefs and record songs that she knows are offensive (and she knows) to her parents but some how her parents dont have a right to make a simple public statement that they disagree with her actions. If Katy can sing then why cant they make a public statement? And people get off your high horse about homosexuality and christians saying it is wrong. I mean the Bible says it is God speaks out against it. So you are asking christians to follow everything but that in the Bible? And homosexuality IS a choice. Every gay person I have EVER talked to has told me that. But Christians dont HATE gays and lesbians. Hasn’t anyone heard of “Love them out”? It is a dinner that a christian association has every year and christian families serve gay and lesbians and shows love to them. Because yes they believe to love thier neighbors regardless of their lifestyles. My point is Katy has decided to leave home and become a different person that is pretty hard for any parent to grasp preacher or no preacher but she is also doing it for every eye to see so give the parents a break. I mean what mother and father wanna see their baby as a sex idol anyway? I suggest that some of you stop being one sided yourselves and dont just look at Katy’s side here…I mean she has more support than her parents anyway not to mention money. Look at it from the parents perspective. I mean most parents freak out when their kid gets a tatoo christian or no christian right? Katy got a tatoo recorded a record about kissing a girl and has become a sex idol overnight…..I might be a little shell shocked myself if my daughter did that…just sayin….

Sarah Mae

posted July 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Exodus 20:13 “‘If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. this should not be tolerated because God finds a man-man woman-woman sexual relationships DETESTABLE.
Does this verse ANSWER all your so-called “proven” beliefst that gay is NOT a choice? I think it does, coz it’s God’s Word already and not from a mouth of some Christian without any basis. now, where’s your basis that God permits gay and lesbian relationships? tell me the verse and I’ll believe you if there’s any. He even permitted the land of perverts (man-man relationships) called Sodom to be put to complete ash.:)

kathy whitlatch

posted August 4, 2010 at 4:33 pm

This is a sad story. I certaintly hope this girl finds her way back. As a parent myself, I feel for her parents. God makes it very clear how he feels about various sin(ex. Homosexuality is an abomination to him). People continue to insist they know more about how God feels about such things than God knows himself. When Christians (real Christians) speak out about sin they are immediately criticized for being self-rightous and hateful, when they merely are responding to what God has commanded them to do. You really can love the sinner and hate the sin. We all came from the same dark place before we knew Jesus. Why does the name Jesus make people so uncomfortable to hear? Buddah, muhamid(not sure about spelling), krishna etc… None make someone squirm in a converstion like JESUS. Think about it. Their is power in a name.

Justin Dean

posted August 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I think you shouldn’t have to hide what you believe because you are afraid your parents will be embarrassed. Once you leave home you are an independent person with your own opinions and decisions. On the subject of the song’s promoting homosexuality, I have a couple points. First of all, stop being so black and white. She isn’t gay, she clearly made the song because 1) it sells and 2) she knew conservative christians would get offended, and hey, that’s entertainment. It drums up attention.
My other point is that some Christians (such as myself) don’t have an issue with homosexuality since we don’t listen to whatever our pastors and parents tell us to believe. Everything in the Bible is within its own context. The Bible was written in Eastern culture and in Hebrew and Greek, it isn’t American and wasn’t written in English. The verses most people cite for condemning gays come from Leviticus which was written for Jews a long time ago, back when doing certain things were “unclean” (which is the true translation of the word we say is “abomination” and “sin”.) Since Jesus came as the ultimate sacrifice, we don’t have to worry about what is unclean. We don’t even have to circumcise our children anymore. A few verses after Leviticus “condemns” homosexuality, it also condemns mixing fabrics and eating meat that hasn’t been drained of blood. (If you like your steak rare, you’re just as evil as gays!)
Oh, and Sarah Mae? Try to choose to be gay. It won’t work. Because it isn’t a choice. Sure, you can kiss another girl if you are straight, but to really want to kiss a girl the way you should want to kiss a man is something you can’t force. I’d like to call the Christian community to wake up. You can’t just say a Bible verse and then POOF! the gay is straight. There’s a lot of evidence pointing towards homosexuality being a genetic thing. It is common when one identical twin is gay, the other is also gay. Do you really believe they would both make that choice? And who would willingly choose to be gay when everyone knows that homosexuals are attacked in both the Church and the world? No one is that stupid. Gays in christians families grow up praying every night that God will make them straight, yet it never happens. Because God made them that way. And it’s the terrifying homophobia of America and most Christians that lead many young gay people to kill themselves. There are so many ways to argue against foolish Christians who think God approves of condemning homosexuality. Luckily our lives will be judged by Him and not His followers.

Ann

posted September 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I agree 100% with Katy’s parents. Katy may believe in Jesus, but she is not acting like a Christian. Sin is Sin, God himself loves the person but hates the sin that separates him from us. We all have free will, so the choice is really ours. Her song I kissed a girl is CLEARLY promoting homosexuality, which is an abomination to God whether we want to accept that or not. Katy knows the truth and was lured into this sinful world of lust and false fulfillment. I hope she wakes up recognizes the truth, that we are in this earth but for a moment and after we are gone its either a life in Heaven or Hell. Simple as that.

roxy castanon

posted February 9, 2011 at 5:47 pm

hi how do you guys get all you info on people i mean do you guys like spy on people or what will bye.

roxy castanon

posted February 9, 2011 at 5:48 pm

you guys have a lot of info on people…………

Bettie

posted May 27, 2011 at 8:17 am

I’m surprised by how many “Christians” think Jesus Christ is an “anything goes…just do whatever ya feel” kind of guy who had no laws and approved of everyone/everything. Go back and read the Bible carefully. Christ does not accept any kind of behavior just because it’s “fun”, generates a lot of money or because you have strong impulses/desires to do something. After all, even though Christ came to save many, He didn’t abolish Hell. He also stated that just SAYING “I’m a Christian” is not enough. A tattoo of Jesus or wearing a cross is no proof that you’re a follower of Christ. Jesus said that he is pleased only by those who follow God’s laws. Christ did not get rid of God’s moral laws, but only the ceremonial/sacrificial/priesthood rules of Leviticus. Active homosexuality is condemned in the Old Testament and the New Testament. When a girl sings a song about how much she enjoyed kissing another girl, she is approving and promoting lesbianism/bisexuality. Christians have a right to point out that this is wrong, especially when the singer says she is a Christian. It’s not just that song, either: Katy’s whole lifestyle and public image scream “I’m in total rebellion against God.” It’s not a sin here and there out of weakness – it’s deliberate, calculated sin as a way of life. When Christians point this out, it’s done because of caring about Ms. Perry and NOT wanting her to suffer. “Go now and sin no more.” These are Christ’s words to those he saved. That doesn’t sound like “do whatever you like” to me.

Leroy

posted December 30, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Dear everyone,

If a girl kisses a girl, that doesn’t make her a lesbian. Just like, if a man, in the throws of having a great time, kisses a man, he may not be gay! They’re just curious! Experimenting is normal. No one wants to eat a hot dog their entire life. You got one life to live, so live it!

I also believe, that this whole God hates Fags thing is a lie created by someone who misinterpreted the Bible. A part of growing up is asking yourself, are the reasons for things people have taught me in the past valid and righteous for me now?

I believe a religion should never spread hate. A religion should never ask for money. And God just wants you to have a great time on this planet of ours, he would know hate eachother over such opinionated matters is wrong. And we should love eachother. Someone telling you to hate a group of people is wrong. It’s terrorism. All it does it put more negative into our world, and God wouldn’t want that. Someone who had their own issues with LGBT people have that problem, they know nothing of these people, and they are all just their own personal assumptions. And to blame it on God, well, thats blasphemous. That’s shameful.

And to use Katy Perry as a magnet to draw all these: “Shameful slut” comments is wrong. It’s your own opinion. You don’t have to let the world that you think that girl is a slut coz she had that one quirky song that is typical Katy humour.

What is she was your daughter? What is she really was gay? Does that make her any less of a human being. I don’t think so. And to the people who do, you are the ones stopping the world from being an equal place. Equality for all. I kissed a boy, and I liked it.