Gospel Soundcheck

Gospel Soundcheck

Christopher Laurie, son of preacher Greg Laurie, killed in car accident

posted by Joanne Brokaw

ChristopherLaurie.jpgTechnically, this isn’t Christian music news, but since the Harvest Crusades have utilized CCM and rock music over the years to reach thousands of people across the country with the gospel, I thought you might want to hear this.
Christopher Laurie, 33, son of Pastor Greg Laurie and Cathe Laurie of Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside, California, died Thursday morning in a car accident. He served as the art director at Harvest Christian Fellowship for the past three years.
According to a story in the LATimes.com, Laurie was “was driving alone ‘at a high rate of speed’ in the carpool lane of the eastbound Riverside Freeway in Corona when his station wagon collided with a California Department of Transportation tractor, the California Highway Patrol said. He was pronounced dead at the scene. No other vehicles were involved and no one else was injured, authorities said.”
Laurie is survived by his wife, Brittany, and daughter, Stella, as well as his brother Jonathan. Christopher and his wife are expecting another daughter in November.
In lieu of flowers, Harvest Christian Fellowship has established the Christopher Laurie Memorial Fund in memory of our friend, co-worker, family member, and brother in Christ. Proceeds from the fund will go to Brittany Laurie, Stella Laurie, and the soon-to-be daughter in order to assist them financially.
Condolences to the family can be made by visiting the online blog. Donations can be made by visiting the church website.
For more information, visit the Harvest Christian Fellowship website.
Related Post:
Harvest Crusade continues after death of Christopher Laurie

james

posted July 27, 2008 at 4:33 pm

My God, the Christians who are crying for Christopher Laurie are the biggest hypocrites. This guy has had 12 citiations for reckless driving, then he was driving at a very very high speed in the carpool lane. How many other laws does this guy get to break before someone says he was not a good person. The good pastor should have been preaching to his son rather than the world. Thank God only he lost his life and not some innocent family that was on the freeway. Condemn evil where ever it exists. This guy was not a good guy. Please good guys do not have 12 tickets and drive in the carpool lane at deadly speeds. God knew what he was doing by taking him out before he killed someone.

Brother Philip

posted July 27, 2008 at 7:54 pm

JESUS said, I shall kill their children with death, so that they might know that I AM in control (Rev. 2:23).
I pray that Greg gets this message and repents of his adulterated teaching, which seduces those who hear him (Rev. 2:22-20).

Mike

posted July 28, 2008 at 1:28 am

The tragedy in this case is that Chris Laurie leaves behind a young child, and a wife who is expecting their second child. This was a needless tragedy that could have been easily avoided.

mike

posted July 28, 2008 at 1:34 am

My condolences to the families loss of christopher. May the faith of Jesus Christ sustain you through this time of loss and sorrow.
I hope many people can learn from this tragic situation not to misuse the carpool lanes and sustain a safe rate of speed when operating their vehicles. To those who are drivers in california, we are not invincable we can die in what we think are safe vehicles. Driving is a gift not a right and we should charish it with love. The same love that we as christian brothers should give all our neighbors. Love your neighbor as yourself. Even on the highway.
Again, I know there is a significant loss to many people and some great families and children. My heart goes out to the family and the widow and fatherless children. May God be with you.
with the Love of Christ. Mike
I posted this letter on harvest website only to ge it thrown back into my face. If you read Christopher had received I believe 12 traffic violations and 2 carpool violations. Sensorship from harvest wouldnt let it post. What is wrong with using this to help others????

Evelyn Allison

posted July 28, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Im so sorry to here about your loss. I have been a follower of your ministries for over 10 years. I’ve always enjoyed listing to you talk about the Lord. I have a heavy heart today, knowing what you are going through.

Vanessa

posted July 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm

This blog entry goes to James posted on July 27th.
I agree that this accident might have been prevented however; who is ultimately in control? Our Lord Jesus Christ. We are all human and make mistakes including Christians. We as Christians should never state that we are perfect because we are not.
We don’t know why the Lord decided to take Christopher but everything happens for God’s glory. Its oblivious that God’s plan was to only take Christopher and I agree thank God no one else was hurt.
James you said “Condemn evil wherever it exits”
Jesus said to the Pharisees when they were accusing the women of adultery. “..He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her..” – John 8:7. We need to be careful not to judge and condemn others for their sins because we have sin in our lives.
Jesus said in John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” And because of this promise I believe Christopher is in heaven because of his heart and service to the Lord.
James, I hope that you come to know Jesus Christ one day and have a relationship with Him. Jesus said “…I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” John 8:12

sarah

posted July 28, 2008 at 4:25 pm

The post by
“Posted by: Brother Philip | July 27, 2008 7:54 PM”
is highly inappropriate, and should be removed immediately!

Marianne

posted July 28, 2008 at 10:02 pm

I am commenting on the heartless and incompassionate comments that are being made about Christopher’s death in some of the blogs on this website and others. It is even more painfull to think that these comments were made by believers in Christ. Each and every one of us as believers are saved by grace not because we deserve it or earned it or obtain perfection of behavior. We all sin on a daily basis and need God’s forgivness every day. Regardless of the circumstances and wether or not he was speeding he was killed.
Greg and Cathe just lost their precious first born son. It is emotionally maming to go through a loss like this one especially a child,even knowing you will see them again in heaven.
Greg and Cathe,Jonathan, Christopher’s darling little daughter,wife and the little girl that will never know her daddy have taken a huge hit.
How cruel people can be. Discounting the death with comments of his past or current driving record.
One does not expect these comments from the body of Christ. I guess God does because he knows our sinful nature’s how ugly they are (sinful natures) It is such a sad commentary I am sure most would agree. You don’t expect it. We are supposed to be different. We are supposed to walk in love and the thankfulness for God’s Grace every day. Which should produce compassion ya think?
Greg has laid it out there for all of us and love’s God with all his heart. Now with his book Lost Boy he has shared his whole life with us not a perfect life just a redeemed life and how wonderfully God has worked in it.Praise be to God we are not lost to him.
The title makes me cry thinking how lost I was and remembering when Jesus touched me at a Greg Laurie Monday night at Calvary years ago. Only God knows why this tragedy happened now.
It wasn’t because of Christopher’s driving it is bigger than that but extremely painful just the same.
Come Quickly Lord Jesus.
Greg,Cathe and precious family I will keep you in my prayers and tears and more importantly our Lord Jesus Christ is surrounding you with his presence more than ever.

Anonymous

posted July 29, 2008 at 12:43 am

I cannot belive what I have just read. You spew such an evil tongue about someone you dont even know… who speeds….just as you probley have many times in your life..you just never have died as a result of it. I am sickond by your words!!! I hope you never have to go through the pain of loosing a child, no matter how they are lost!!
You are NOT the one to judge Christopher by his driving habits nor his past record, that is in Gods hand..NOT YOURS! How DARE YOU! I hope you NEVER go through what the Laurie family is experiancy right now..SHAME ON YOU AND I HOPE GOD HAD MERCY ON …YOUR SOUL!!!

Kenny

posted July 29, 2008 at 4:09 am

This entire crazy issue of criminal intent and speeding tickets and
illegally traveling in the carpool lane by Christopher Laurie has got to stop. No one is thinking logically about this and Harvest will not get into a blog war with anyone. Any attacks on Christopher are ignorant and I have a feeling that the crazy bloggers from the emerging church are at the root of it. First of all not one news article stated that Christopher was speeding. They all stated he was traveling at a high rate of speed. You all assumed he was speeding from that statement, stupid! Second, not one news article said he was illegally traveling in the carpool lane. You all assumed that it was illegal because he was alone, stupid! You all took the word of four or five morons from on various blogs that said they discovered that Christopher had xx amount of speeding tickets and xx amount of tickets for illegally traveling in the carpool lane, stupid! All it would have taken was just four of five of you to look into the truth instead of praying for the other four or five morons. First of all, the Christopher Laurie that these morons are claiming to have all these tickets is 43 years old and not 33. He has blond hair and blue eyes, not brown hair and brown eyes, and the only thing that he and Greg Laurie’s son have in common is the same name. Second, Christopher Laurie was traveling in the carpool lane by himself legally, as he did everyday, because he has had a Trakpass for over two years and that stretch of the 91 freeway has a carpool lane that is Trakpass legal. And yes he was traveling at a high rate of speed, he was doing the 75mph speed limit that is legal for that stretch of the carpool lane between Green River and Serfas. You people are idiots, get over it, he was not doing anything wrong. Stop rumor mogering. If you want to go blog crazy, start attacking Caltrans. I can’t tell you how many friends of mine have remarked that they almost ran into the back of those freeway sweepers going 15mph in a 75mph carpool lane during daylight morning rushhour traffic time. These sweeper guys don’t want to work at night when #1, the traffic is 1/4 of what it was when Christopher was killed, and #2, at night you can see their warning lights for miles instead of about 100 feet during bright morning sunlight. Caltrans is always displaying signs that say “give us a Brake”, and I don’t blame them, but the truth be known, Caltrans kills many more innocent drivers then drivers kill them. I’m a retired Fire Captain from Ventura County, and Hyway 101
runs the full north/south length of Ventura County. In just my personal career as a Firefighter over a twenty two year span I know of 32 innocent deaths on that Highway caused by Caltrans, because they don’t want to work at night. Go after Caltrans with your venom, they deserve it. Leave Christopher alone, he is an innocent Christian
that did nothing but love his brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Pat

posted July 29, 2008 at 4:24 am

I don’t think the person above has an evil tongue to bring up the speeding issue and things like driving in the car pool lane alone. There are people killed by speeding drivers and luckily Christopher didn’t injure or kill anyone when he crashed into the caltrans vehicle. This was an unnecessary accident that could have been prevented had he been driving safely. It is a warning for any of us to follow the rules. If a speeding driver were to injure or kill someone you love, how would you feel about the driver? What a tragedy that could have been prevented. Hearts are grieving.

Joanne Brokaw

posted July 29, 2008 at 10:03 am

Kenny, thanks for the clarification on the carpool lane and the tickets. I live way on the other side of the country and we don’t have carpool lanes where I live. It helps to have someone who lives right there shed some light on how those work.
Honestly, folks, however he died, the reality is that Christopher’s children have no father and his wife is a widow, and they need our prayers.
And whatever you think of Greg Laurie, his Harvest Crusades have brought the gospel to thousands of people, using culturally relevent music and a straightforward message. If you’ve met Jesus at a Harvest Crusade, I’d love to have you share your story.
What I find it really … interesting? disturbing? … is that I’ve posted three stories this month about people associated with the music industry passing away. The two about gospel artists – Betty Wright and her grandson DJ Wright, and Mike Cook of the Might Clouds of Joy – have garnered dozens of sympathetic comments and prayers for the family. This one spurred some really negative feedback. Why is that? Is our sympathy for people and the families they left behind based on how the person died?
I’d ask for prayer for the Laurie family, and especially his wife, who is pregnant.
Peace!
Joanne
host of the Gospel SoundCheck blog
Rev Timothy Wright story
Michael Cook story

Lori

posted July 29, 2008 at 1:51 pm

I’m finding the Christopher Laurie comments on this and other blogs interesting, indeed. Broader than this tragic story, however, is a common mistreatment of the “judging Scripture.” It’s amazing to me how so many people, Christians included, use this Scripture “..He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her..” – John 8:7 and then interpret as such: We need to be careful not to judge and condemn others for their sins because we have sin in our lives. Unfortunately, they forget to cite the next part of the story where Jesus—waiting until the others left so the woman would not be humiliated or publicly chastised—tells her with the grace and mercy we need to emulate, that she needs must go and sin no more.
Please know that I am in no way saying that Christopher sinned. I don’t know all of the details. I just wanted to point out a common, but only half-interpreted Scripture reference that is warping the Christian worldview.
As for Christopher and his family, this is a horrific tragedy. The grief is unmeasurable, but so, too, is the love of Jesus.

Steve

posted July 29, 2008 at 2:21 pm

May be the Caltrans tractor was parked too close to the carpool lane.
The Devil attacks Greg Laurie in anyway it can. This sad event is just a couple of weeks before the Harvest Crusade. Greg needs our prayers of support at this time.

Mike

posted July 30, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Interesting Kenny. Do you represent Harvest Church? I would think that this tragic event would be a reminder of how fragile life is and how we need to all be careful and courteous. I am curious to know where you received this information from. I am in no way saying that he deserved to die. It is a horrible thing to lose a child. No one is disputing this or saying otherwise. When the investigation is completed then we will have the facts. In the mean time I would hope that if anything this incident might make people think about risks and driving recklessly. I have already stated that feel deep remorse for this family or any family who has lost anyone to such a tragedy. Don’t twist and turn this into something more than it is. People are entitled to there opinions.

Brother Philip

posted July 30, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Hi Sarah;
You posted the following: July 28, 2008 4:25 PM
The post by
“Posted by: Brother Philip | July 27, 2008 7:54 PM”
is highly inappropriate, and should be removed immediately!
My post was not my opinion, but rather the testimony of JESUS, which was given for the instruction of church leadership.
I do not believe that it is a wise thing for anyone to find the sayings of JESUS CHRIST inappropriate.
They rather are all timely, because they are living.
You can tell by some of the comments on this blog, that the truth is currently being rejected @ Harvest too!
Blessings in the word of God in Christ, for our instruction and correction.

Shayna

posted July 31, 2008 at 1:48 am

As a very close friend of Brittany’s all I have to say to all you cowards that write such hurtful things hiding behind your computer…try to look little Stella in the face and tell her that her dad deserved to die because of his driving record. Chris was an unbelieveable husband, father, and friend. These blogs should be used for people to send words of encouragement not to inflict more pain on those who are suffering. Please use the blogs as an opportunity to send uplifting messasges, that’s what we all need right now.
Please show some respect for the people who are left behind in the wake of this tragedy.

Joanne Brokaw

posted July 31, 2008 at 9:31 am

Hey all, I need to step in here.
The purpose of the blog is to discuss and interact (hopefully about about Christian music!), and while there are Rules of Conduct that allow for a broad range of comments, this conversation has veered off the path.
I posted the story about Christopher Laurie because of his father’s work with Harvest Crusades, and the Crusades’ use of culturally relevant music to reach people with the gospel.
Again, if you met Jesus at a Harvest Crusade, I would LOVE to hear from you! Please share your story and if you can, let us know what part (if any) the music played in your attending the event.
Shayna, please extend my deepest sympathies to the Laurie family.
Joanne Brokaw
host of the Gospel SoundCheck

Brother Philip

posted August 1, 2008 at 7:09 pm

Dear all:
I’d be interested in knowing how anyone can hear a melody from the heart, which is thus spoken, rather than sung? (Eph. 5:19).
I thought that singing was for those who are merry? (Jm. 5:13); Paul preached a need for godly sorrow for repentance unto salvation (2Cor. 7:10); Wherein he was into making the people who he was evangelizing SORRY (7:8).
Why is Greg doing it the other way round?
ANSWER: to please the flesh!!!
Joanne, I do hope that this comment is not off the path RE: how music does or does not reach people. I’d hate to be culturally insensitive. But I do think that we should be follow the leading of the Scriptures. Let those who need to mourn, be encouraged to mourn; and let those who have grounds to rejoice, rejoice, and even sing! This is the biblical place for music, IT IS RESERVED FOR THOSE WHO HAVE HAD THEIR SEASON OF SORROW. I’d be interested in discussing this and interacting with others about what God might do, if we don’t use music in a righteous manner?

Joanne Brokaw

posted August 1, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Brother Phillip,
I’ve been reading a lot about how the Israelites had singers and musicians whose job it was to offer up daily thanksgiving to God on behalf of the people. As I understand it, they were given a portion, much like the priests. To me, that says music was extremely important to God. The Bible is full of references of singing, trumpets, timbrels and stringed instruments, so I’m sure it wasn’t just Gregorian-like chants but some lively, celebratory music, heard in those days.
Uh … and how ’bout that whole book of songs in the Bible? Psalms, in case you missed it.
I firmly believe music – as an art form, as a means of communication, as entertainment – is rooted in the Creator and creation. I wouldn’t be surprised if the world was sung into being, much the way CS Lewis described it in Narnia.
Joanne Brokaw
host of the Gospel SoundCheck

Eric

posted August 2, 2008 at 12:37 am

I am so disgusted at all of you who are writing insensitive and judgmental comments. If I were not a Christian and reading this stuff, I would be so turned off because of your comments and would want nothing to do with Christianity. Fortunately I know what being a true Christian is and it is not making comments such as those that some have. Thank you to all of you who have shown sensitivity and respect, you are a shining example of true Christian love.

Brother Philip

posted August 2, 2008 at 11:56 pm

Hi;
Thanks for your impute Joanne “God give us a whole book of songs PSALMS. No, I did not miss this book, but I think that you missed the point. So let me give it to you: He gave us the words to the songs, not the music. Did you get that one Joanne?
AND the world was not sung into being, it was spoken into being: For the world was framed by the word of God (Heb. 11:3). God said NOT sung, and then there was (Gen. 1:3); By His word were the heavens made (Ps. 33:6); We know this was not accomplished by singing, because it is said that God spoke, and it was done (33:9).
Notwithstandin, I am not against music, as you seem to indicate. In my last note, I placed music in its proper place, IT’S NOT FOR THOSE WHO ARE TO BE IN GODLY SORROW, IT’S FOR THOSE WHO ARE MERRY:-
Singing is for those who are merry! (Jm. 5:13); Paul preached a need for godly sorrow for repentance unto salvation (2Cor. 7:10); Wherein he was into making the people who he was evangelizing SORRY (7:8).
So, let us stay on target: The question is
P.S God rebuke you and Eric for even suggesting that the words of God are insensitive and or disgusting: They are rather very much to the point, and relative to the moment; and all that you can do by suggesting that I keep the words of God to myself, meaning;- stop using them is to fill up your sins to the uttermost (1Thes. 2:16).
As to the allegation that I am without love, I reject this rail for the following sound reason: The love of God rejoices in the truth (1Cor. 13:6). And the “things” that I have set forth are not my opinions; but were rather the clear sound truth of God’s word. We are either for the truth, or we are against the truth. I understand that the truth can be inconvenient, but it is what it is, and we should stand up for it, whatever the cost. But for the sake of ORDER, if you do not wish for me to repeat these faithful words of God in Christ, I shall forbear.
The outstanding question is: Why is Greg ministering music, which is for the merry, when he should be ministering the word for sorrow? For singing is for those who are merry! (Jm. 5:13); Paul preached a need for godly sorrow for repentance unto salvation (2Cor. 7:10); Wherein he was into making the people who he was evangelizing SORRY (7:8).

Zianna

posted August 2, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Hi;
I’d just like to set the record right:
So, let us stay on target: The question is

Joanne Brokaw

posted August 3, 2008 at 9:33 am

Zianna or Brother Philip or whoever you really are … who said God’s words were insensitive or disgusting?? Certainly not I. Good grief. And why on earth would music only be for the merry? If I remember, God sent Saul a distressing spirit so that Saul would call for David to play the harp, and his soul would be refreshed. (1 Samuel 16:23)
I firmly believe that the Creator of everything also gives us creation of artistic works, from art to music. And I don’t just mean the words.
Throughout the Bible, God has used many means to get people’s attention so the gospel could be shared. Paul, in particular, comes to mind, in Ephesus, when he blessed the aprons and hankerchiefs for the people in Ephesus, who used witchcraft. And when he used the poetry of the time to speak to the people (ie: the pop culture of their time).
I think the important thing to remember is that the message should never change – Christ, the Son of God, is the way to eternal life – but the medium (or the way the message is delivered) changes as God directs us to share with the world.
Joanne
host of the Gospel SoundCheck

Philip & Zianna

posted August 4, 2008 at 12:09 am

YOU SAID: Why on earth would music only be for the merry? If I remember, God sent Saul a distressing spirit so that Saul would call for David to play the harp, and his soul would be refreshed. (1 Samuel 16:23)
Thank you for asking who said music is to be used for those who are merry: READ James 5:13.
Thank you for confirming what I said in my first NOTE: I have noted in the past that music plays one part for those who are lost, and that part is to charm those who are oppressed by demons. Within this charming of the oppressed is the pleasing of the flesh, which is not for the glory of God. For it pleases God to save by the preaching of the word of God. SAUL was demonicly oppressed!!! God did not bring music into Saul’s life to evangelize him!!!
NAME ONE VERSE OF SCRIPTURE, to justify the use of music for evangelizing?
FROM YOU: As for the book of Psalms, there was music to go with those words, you know, and I believe God gave it to the psalmists. Otherwise, it would be poetry.
Why has God not preserved the music of the Psalms for us today?
YOU AGAIN: As for Greg Laurie and music – have you ever been to a Harvest Crusade? About 10 years ago, my daughter invited a friend to come when it was in our city. This friend was really into rock music and most definitely not into church. But Audio Adrenaline was playing and this friend liked the band so he agreed to come. When the gospel was presented, he was riveted to the message, and when the invitation was given he flew from his seat. The music brought him but Jesus saved him.
THIS IS INTERESTING: YOU say that the message saves; and the message that saves is the gospel.
Sorry this is wrong: The gospel without grace is accursed (Gal. 1:6).
We are NOT saved by the gospel; we are saved by GRACE (Eph. 2:8).
Can YOU tell us what the grace of God IS?
from Philip and Zianna

Anonymous

posted August 4, 2008 at 12:17 am

Hi Joanne;
YOU ASKED: Zianna or Brother Philip or whoever you really are … who said God’s words were insensitive or disgusting?? Certainly not I. Good grief.
ANSWER: YOU DID: As for your extremely insenitive comments to the Laurie family, I would respectfully ask that you keep those to yourself from now on. (Joanne Brokaw).
THE COMMENTS that you said were insensitive were the following Scriptures: Shayna, please extend my deepest sympathies to the Laurie family; and remind them that I don’t have to repent, because I rejoice that they have been made sorry (2Cor. 7:9-8): For their sorrow might make them more careful (7:11). Remember I have done nothing wrong by reminding you and them of all of this, because it was not I who caused their suffering (7:12 cf. Rev. 2:23-21). I could only be comforted by them, if they are found in the truth (2Cor. 7:14). Otherwise I am exceedingly joyful in their tribulation (7:4). Praise God for their mourning, so that I could rejoice the more (7:7).
Looking forward to your definition of the grace that saves . . .

Joanne Brokaw

posted August 4, 2008 at 9:03 am

>>NAME ONE VERSE OF SCRIPTURE, to justify the use of music for evangelizing?

Joanne Brokaw

posted August 4, 2008 at 9:04 am

I posted an update yesterday on the Harvest Crusdades, if anyone is interested:
Joanne
host of the Gospel SoundCheck

Anonymous

posted August 4, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Thank you for your silence.
Philip AND Zianna, which is who we are.
Amazing you don’t even believe “we are”.
How rude of you.
Those without the truth don’t have an answer.
Using the truth is not for the sake of arguing, it is for the love of God (1Cor. 13:6).
YOU END WITH: Funny, but you completely overlooked my comments about how Paul used the pop culture of his day (poetry and literature) when sharing the gospel, and how he used the people’s belief in witchcraft in Ephesus to bless the hankerchiefs and aprons to heal.
HGowever, Paul used all things to instruct people in who the unknown God is (Ac. 17:23). Informing people about God is NOT gospel preaching it is intorducing the true and the living God to those who do not have this understanding. What point would there be in presenting the gospel, if the concept of God is missing?
Healing is also not gospel activity, nor is it needed for such activity. It is again for those without the concept of mighty God is living.
Both activities, which are therefore not associated WITH THE GOSPEL; and therefore they are ASSOCIATED WITH A NEED FOR PEOPLE TO HAVE THE FEAR OF GOD, who is living.
For unto those who have the fear of God; NO need for misic here; these, those who fear the Lord – salvation [gospel] is then, and can then only be sent unto them (Ac. 13:26): Without fear NO salvation (Phil. 2:12).
Now if you don’t believe in “we are” at least believe in these words of Scripture, and don’t be so rude toward those with them.
Funny, you completely overlooked our requests for answers. Not having an answer, you say is FUNNY/suspicious for us; but NOT for you? We don’t think so, very funny.
What does saved by grace mean?
Remember your gospel without grace is perverted.
Just a little hint for you Paul defines grace by his presentation of who God is!!! Wherein he was very particular in what he presented about God, so that people might have the grace of God, so that the gospel could be given unto them.
We believe that you need a lot of help to get your message right, so that you would not continue to be gospel without grace.
PHILIP AND ZIANNA

Joanne Brokaw

posted August 4, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Phillp AND Zianna – I was short with my answer today because, oddly enough, I was on my way to cover a Christian music festival, LOL!
And honestly, the truth is that I really don’t want to argue with you. We simply don’t see eye to eye on music. While I was a the festival I thought a lot about the points you had raised, and while I disagree with your stance on who music is for, I do see your point and how you arrived there.
And, oddly enough, LOL, I would like your thoughts on another topic, one that we may actually find some common ground on. Head over to this post and share some thoughts:
Joanne
host of the Gospel SoundCheck

Brother Philip

posted August 8, 2008 at 11:33 am

Hi Joanne;
Thanks for your honesty.
I think it might be a good idea for all to put all of this in what God is NOW doing to those who are into misic more than the word of God for ministry:
Steven Curtis Chapman’s 5 year old daughter was also killed by her teenage brother’s SUV. Just hours before the whole close knit family were celebrating the engagement of their oldest daughter Emily. (May 21, 2008).
NOW you and or anyone else might not see eye-to-eye with us on this one too; but after another 5, or 10, or 20, or however many more deaths it takes for you all to get it, that’s what is going to come about, because God is NOW marching through the church (Heb. 3:12-13): AND THIS MESSAGE is the be given to the so-called CHIEF’S, WHO ARE OVER THE SINGERS (Hab. 3:18-19).
The reason that thangs have come to this, is just because believers like you don’t believe that the glittering spear is in JESUS’S hand (Heb. 3:11).
We hope that you can ponder on all of this, and {see} “understand” how important it is to be where God wishes for us to be.
Blessings in His way, will, word, and work,
Philip and Zianna

Jennifer

posted August 15, 2008 at 3:26 pm

If he had committed suicide (an illegal selfish act against self and society)
we would all be having a different conversation.
So for those of you that want to blame the man who died (whatever the facts are)
and give his family more sorrow,
why don’t you give it a rest?
None of us can control the actions of others but we sure have to feel the pain of those actions.
We are responsible for ourselves only, and God will judge the rest.
So put your selves in their shoes, they loved him, thats all.
They are hurting, terribly.
End the commentaries, bring the condolences.
Dear Greg and Family,
Now you have sorrow, but one day you will have Joy, and no one will take it from you.
Only God knows what you feel, the rest of us aren’t even close.
But we stand with you, silently, with Christian love.
Talk about Topher as much as you want as long as you want.
Do not let the enemy accuse you.
Fight the good fight. It may just be to put your foot in front of you one step at a time,
But keep fighting.
Your sister in Christ,
Jennifer

Brother Philip

posted August 22, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Thanks Jennifer for the following:
God WILL judge.
Behold how many have already been JUDGED BY GOD during the last few weeks, because they placed music before the word of God in ministry:
May 12 2008 Dottie Rambo of the Swinging Rambo’s died after her bus ran off the road during a severe storm.
June 7, 2008 David Green singer, music teacher Adventist Church School Administrater.
June 20 2008 The owner of Gate Records Christian recording studio killed by an armed robber.
June 20 2008 Jason R. Ogan, 32 Lead singer of the Christian group the First Light committed suicide.
June 20 2008 Jeanice Hobart worship leader, gifted singer and music teacher.
June 28 Eilene Porter director of music Calvary Christian Center.
July 4 2008 Tom Green award winning Christian music program host of Lightmusic.
July 7 2008 Rev. Timothy Wright music ministry critically injured in car accident, wife and grand child killed.
July 18 2008 Michael Cook lead singer of the Mighty Clouds of Joy.
July 23 2008 Della Hassia worship leader, who loved music.
Aug. 2 2008 Vera Reeve ministry – teacher of music.
Aug. Virginia Matzner music teacher @ Christian Science, Baptist, and Methodist churches.
Aug. 8 2008 Elezabeth Holmquist singer with the Christian group Koinonians.
NEVER in the whole recorded history of Christian music ministers have there been so many deaths in so little time.
God is moving against anyone who holds music above His word for ministry; and this is just the begining: Jugment has begun in the house of the Lord (1Pet. 4:17).
BEHOLD GOD’S JUDGMENT: If we are not feeding the flock, it is because we are into filthy lucre (1Pet. 5:2). We are not born again by the glory of man, but by the word of God (1Pet. 1:24-23).
I can tell by most of the responces to the Scripture that I have posted that the word of God is held lightly in this place.
Take care, God IS JUDGING!!!

Freeway Driver

posted August 23, 2008 at 7:16 am

I cannot figure out how Caltrans decided that going 15mph in the carpool lane without closing the lane is a logical thing to do. Putting an arrow on the back of the slow moving truck is not nearly enough precaution. Seems to me they are cutting costs by saving time. Close the freeway, Caltrans. I hope this accident forces them to use their heads a little more. This was bound to happen.

Anonymous

posted August 28, 2008 at 3:20 pm

There a couple of outstanding questions:
NAME ONE VERSE OF SCRIPTURE, to justify the use of music for evangelizing?
THE FOLOWING IS INTERESTING: It has been said that the [Greg Laurie] message saves; and the message that saves is the gospel.
Sorry this is very wrong:
The gospel without grace is accursed (Gal. 1:6).
We are NOT saved by the gospel of Jesus Christ;
we are saved by GRACE (Eph. 2:8).
Can ANYONE here tell us what the grace of God that saves us IS?
from Philip and Zianna

linda

posted August 30, 2008 at 7:11 pm

for Philip and Zianna – For by grace you have been saved through FAITH – and that faith is not of your own – It is a gift of God NOT OF WORKS (decisional regeneration) lest any man should boast. God alone saves through the true gospel.

Brother Philip

posted September 8, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Hi LINDA;
Thanks for your comment:
I might add: The Apostle Paul explained the need for conversion from our faith (Ro. 1:8); to the faith (Rom. 1:5); Which he called coming from (our) faith to (Christ’s) faith, so that we could live BY faith (Rom. 1:17). Without which we cannot be in the common faith (Rom. 1:12).
Notwithstanding Paul could be thankful for all of those who are in their own faith, because he might have the opportunity to minister unto them the faith (Rom. 1:8-13). We don’t need to be ignorant of this testimony, for the establishing of believers into the faith (Rom. 1:11-12). Which as you have said is not, and was not of themselves, but BY grace, so that there would not, could not be any boasting.
The only thing that I’d advise you to work out is “the gift is faith” thing.
If the gift is faith, then why does Paul add, we are His workmanship? (Eph. 2:8 & 10). I believe that Paul is led to say this because the gift is God @work to create us in Christ Jesus, which we have faith in because of grace. The reason that I know that this is so is because of another Scripture: Eph. 3:7, which states that the gift of the grace of God that is given unto us is to be by the effective work of His power.
All of this is so those of music and song, might become those of the word of God, who celebrate what God can do because of speaking the song of grace (Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16).
I’d be interested in hearing any comments on Eph. 5:19 and Col. 3:16. Such as how do we hear the singing from the heart? And why is the melody to be in the heart, rather than out in the open?
Blessings in His leading.

Carla

posted September 25, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Not sure if anyone has realized this yet, but God has a specific end date for all of us. Whether or not Chris Laurie was driving safely has nothing to do with it. It was just his time to go be with the Lord.

carla

posted September 25, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Isn’t the book of Psalms almost completely dedicated to using music to worship? David was often seen dancing and singing. Also, I’m not sure how you would prove that any of these people who died actually put music before the word of God, especially because many of them draw from the word of God for musical inspiration. Just because they write songs doesn’t mean they don’t study the Bible. Regardless, everyone was made in his own unique fashion by God Himself and each has his own unique way of worship, given him by God as a gift. To say that worship through music is not proper goes against Biblical teaching. Remember, “sing a new song?”