God's Politics

God's Politics

Video: Vote Out Poverty March and Rally

posted by gp_intern

Laura

posted June 9, 2007 at 11:36 am

Why limit the issue to “extreme” poverty? What is needed is a more just and egalitarian society. Capitalism in general is at odds with the Christian faith, we need to see major changes in the United States’ economic system. Merely applying a few band-aids here and there is not enough.

Ann Jones

posted June 10, 2007 at 12:24 pm

I did have a group viewing of the three candidates on Faith and Poverty. Most of us were very disappointed in the level of questioning as well as the very little mention of poverty. The MDGs were never even mentioned! The questions had little to do with real morality. No one really asked things like “How do you reconcile torture in the name of national security? What impacts you about spending 9 billion a week on the war? What other ways could this money be put to use? What does it mean to you to know that you have done nothing to successfully end the war? etc. How do you pray and what is your greatest sin pale in comparison, in my opinion. I cannot donate to something so superficial. Religious talk means little when actions do little to support it. Let’s hear more examination of morality and current behaviors. How does Edwards who has supported many poverty programs justify a $400 dollar haircut, for example.
Ann Jones
“Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those
who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.”
U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower

Brent

posted June 10, 2007 at 7:22 pm

“Why limit the issue to “extreme” poverty?”
Because Paul said that if you have food and clothing, you should be content with that. Only about 25% of those living below the “poverty line” can be called poor in any meaningful Biblical sense. But even those that qualify are much better fed and clothed than the average citizen of the Roman empire.
“Capitalism in general is at odds with the Christian faith”
How so? I’ve written an e-book on this topic. I’ve waited in vain for a few years for someone to contest a single point. I would love to actually get some honest to goodness feedback from a “progressive” evangelical.

Caitlin

posted June 10, 2007 at 8:35 pm

Ann,
The questions you propose would not have been relevant to question the Democratic candidates with, because they speak of current issues–we cannot hold these candidates accountable for the decisions of our current government, nor ask them to support or oppose those decisions. Rather we can only look to the future, obtain as accurate a picture as we can of their faith, and ultimately entrust God with the decision.
Really, when you ask yourself the questions how do you pray, and what is your greatest sin, I hope you find no superficial answers.

Donny

posted June 10, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Brent,
What you have offered is that Liberals are forcing their religion of socialsim/communism on everyone.
Seperation of Church and State pal?
And why is becoming rich and wanting to do with your own money what you want to do with it, a bad thing? An anti-Christian thing?
BTW, how did you get to be a contributer to Holding’s wonderful wbesite?
Anyway, it appears that The Liberal/Progressive religionist ( I just can’t bring myself to see liberalism as part of the Christian Church catholic), desires to completely force his/her religion on everyone in the form of marxist/diversity power to the legislators and liberal courts.

moderatelad

posted June 11, 2007 at 11:41 am

If half the people that were at this conference would make it their mission to start their own company so that they could imploye 20 people so that they had a job and could come together as a group(s) and see what they can afford for benefits, that would be a great way to vote out poverty. Employment is the strongest and best way to vote out poverty.
Have a great day

Eric

posted June 11, 2007 at 1:34 pm

Unfortunately, poverty will never be voted out. It can only be reduced. It’s almost guaranteed that one will not live in poverty if one finishes high school and doesn’t have a child out of wedlock. Politicians in Washington cannot solve these problems.

Brent

posted June 11, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Donny,
JP Holding and I go back 10 years, from when we bagan e-mailing each other. He invited me to do a piece after a while, and I just kinda kept going.
He welcomes submissions, so if you have something you’d like to write about, just e-mail him.
I have to compliment Sojourners for freely letting alternative views here ( it seems to be most of the posters, actually), I just which Wallis and the rest would deal with some of them.