God's Politics

God's Politics

Duane Shank: Dissecting the Daily Digest

posted by gp_intern

After nine months, the Daily Digest is now being received by more than 20,000 people. So, I thought I’d solicit some reader opinion.

First an explanation. I use the following U.S. newspapers that cover the spectrum: The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Washington Times, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, USA Today, and The Christian Science Monitor – and others if specific stories come to my attention. For an international take, BBC and The Guardian. For the Mideast, Haaretz and al Jazeera. The news I try to cover coincides with Sojourners/Call to Renewal’s platform – war/peace, poverty and budget priorities, the environment, life issues, marriage and family, religion in general, and faith and politics in particular.

What do you think, both of the range of sources and news? Are there important sources I’m not using? Important issues I don’t include enough? If you’d like to comment, just post it in the comments for this blog post. I’ll read them all, and respond as possible.

Nancy Stevenson

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:14 pm

The Wall Street Journal … for balance

jerry gorman

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:16 pm

useful information keep publishing online

Mrs Renny Gye

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:25 pm

The range of sources is generally good but would benefit from something French/German for a European overview and it might be helpful to look at The Economist. I am writing as an English person in the UK. Of course, the material is strongly US focused but with good coverage of the Middle East and Darfur. Not much from the Far East or Asia – could more be included?

Bristol566

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Try some worthwhile blogs and website too.

Mary

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:39 pm

Well done on going for such a broad range. Several of us from Ireland keep up with your website; you might find the Irish Times a good resource from time to time. Good journalism, and a perspective from a smaller, and neutral, European country that thinks European, but because of geography and history remains very interested in the US.

Tim Soulis

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:40 pm

Solid selections, usefully arranged. Very refreshing to access serious info uncluttered by the latest celebrity shannigans.

eileen fleming

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Having been to OPT four times since June 2005, and having written two books on that topic trying to raise awareness of the Christian EXODUS from the Holy Land, I submit my site for your consideration. I also wonder if anyone out there is interested in learning about what the USA MSM has NOT covered: Mordechai Vanunu’s FREEDOM OF SPEECH TRIAL:This civilian journalist has been following the trial since it began January 2006. http://www.wearewideawake.org/ Eileen Fleming, Poet, Author, Activist, Reporter and Editor WAWA, Producer “30 Minutes With Vanunu” FREELY STREAMING on http://www.wearewideawake.org And UNCENSORED by Israel.

Tom Martin

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:48 pm

The news services that you are presently using are ones that I would tend to search as well, but it would be great if you could add a few papers from the center of our nation, such as Arkansas, South Dakota, and Michigan, etc. And it would be interesting if these papers cam not only from the mid west but also from smaller communities. The impression is that most small towns are more conservative in nature, it would be great to discover that that is not totally true and that indeed there are some small towns that have a more comprehensive undersanding of the issues before us as a nation.

Cynthia Donnelly

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:49 pm

Just keep on doing what you’re doing — it’s wonderful!

Daniel M. Stenoien

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Your sources are about 90% liberal, and it is apparant in your writing (choice of words). I suggest The National Review as an intelligent, conservative source for balance.

Carol

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Honestly, I wish this would be a weekly as opposed to a daily feature. All of the information is worthwhile, please don’t misunderstand. But I am bombarded with so much worthwhile information from so many different organizations it is truly overwhelming. I fear that we are spending so much time reading about problems in society that we don’t have any time left to do anything about them.

Carlton Currie

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:53 pm

You have all the main sources covered. I hate to say it, but the Drudge Report http://www.drudgereport.com/ is on top of a lot of important stories too. I try to look at http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ every day. They have a range of interesting editiorials and articles but too far right. You might consider adding a few links to editorials in your Daily Digest.

Dick Landis

posted May 28, 2007 at 4:56 pm

Do you think all your resources are ignoring Abortion as the major dividing issue in this country. Get real and quit cherry picking.

Chuck

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:04 pm

I think adding a paper from the McClatchy newspaper chain would add perspective from a smaller city view. Also they have an excellent news staff.

peter g yackel

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:09 pm

re; domestic issues: How about reviewing daily reports from the Center for American Progress and Tom Paine. com, as well? re: international issues: How about reviewing reporst from some of the continental European press, as well?

Matthew Neugebauer

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:11 pm

I know we’re just your 30-million-strong neighbours to the north, but I often find Henry Champ’s Washington File (http://www.cbc.ca/news/reportsfromabroad/champblog/) to be quite insightful. Also check out what’s going on up here at the rest of cbc.ca

Alert Ear

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:11 pm

The selection of sources seems good; but as much as I deeply respect the courage of some journalists, I witness ever growing cuts in the freedom of the press and the return of censorship into news media (not owned by journalists, but employing and paying them). As an example, how many people will consider the thought that there would never have been a nation like the USA if it were not for the independence wars – against the British colonial power -that those founding values are being questioned by nowadays politics, in the name of business; to forget values like those written in the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights – in the name of business: money is necessary but not above all moral values. I admire your courage and inspiration to many of us. Thank you.

Renee

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:11 pm

I think you do a fine job and also agree that adding a McClatchy paper would be good. Living outside of Charlotte, N.C. I am familiar with their syndicate and they are also the group Bill Moyers profiled heavily in his recent special re: newspapers and the run up to the war in Iraq. I also find Truthout and Alternet to be very valuable sources as well.Agree as well with the need to look at some small town newspapers too.

Charlotte Ward

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:12 pm

i scan the Digest daily, and usually find one or more good articles i would not see otherwise. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Rich Earl

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:13 pm

All of your sources are broad urban and coastal outlets. I don’t see any input from the more rural areas in middle America. You could benefit from a smattering of these sources. Smalltown papers might even help.The Wall Street Journal would be a good pick too.

Tony Graham

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:19 pm

Wish we had anything in the UK half as good as what you’re doing. The Independent occasionally has good information too. But it says something that I have to come to you and Alternet to find out what is really going on! So keep up the good work -

Miles Harbur

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:19 pm

i love the digest. I think it could be a bit longer…maybe twice as long. i appreciate its sense of balance… not critical, but just stating facts. I agree with the comments that the WSJ would be a good added source. thanks for this great service

eugene turner

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:21 pm

excellent sources

Jeannie Terepka

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:25 pm

I appreciate the news digest and read it everyday. I suggest more coverage of education issues: pre-k through graduate school, public and private, national and international. Schools reflect both people as they are and as they want to be; schools are societies’ microcosms and their mirrors. I find that the Chronicle of Higher Education (though obviously limited as a publication focused on higher education alone)is useful.

Dennis Smith

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:29 pm

i also put up a clipping service and have used, in addition to the sources you describe, the independent from britain, the national catholic reporter, the daily feed from pew research, the feed from the international relations center (have had a great pieces recently on immigration issues and free trade agreements), and pieces produced by the washington office on latin america (wola). saludos! dennis smith

Brooks Gardner

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:31 pm

I do think the digest is important for us sunscribers. It gives us information is is often from a different prespective that our local newspapers.

Morag Burgess

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:31 pm

I really appresciate your journal – and think that you have a pretty good selection or resources. Maybe The Economist , The Scotsman, and Le Monde for the European perspective… Do keep up the good work. I’m British, living in Rrral Mississippi and your articles are a very important resource.

E. Brown

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:32 pm

I look forward to your daily coverage of wide ranging topics. We live in a time when it is most important to be informed. Thanks and just keep up the good work.

Amy Pemberton

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:33 pm

I agree that some central or even Southern US papers might be helpful, but I wonder how much you would find in them that wasn’t wire or very local. I know my local paper (Courier-Journal, Louisville, KY) is Gannett-owned and largely reliant on wire services for anything other than local news. I also agree with the person who suggested Far East and/or African. I have to believe that there are some good English sources from the those regions. The seeming liberal bias doesn’t bother me so much. I would rather have an openly liberal (or conservative) source than one that was claiming to be “balanced” but was actually biased or lazy. (By “lazy” I mean that they cover a controversial by get a quote from each side’s nutcases–without bothering to do much research or develop any context for the reader to put the quotes in–and calling it “balanced.”)

George Ashby

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:35 pm

I don’t consider “The Washington Times” a news source. I think it is only a right wing propaganda dispenser.

Dan Lill

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:47 pm

Perhaps the National Catholic Reporter. with among others Father John Dear and Sister Joan Chitester, would be a good representation of the Catholic viewpoint which has so much in common with Sojourner’s ideals and philosophies. It has been conspicuous by its absence. Keep up the wonderful work of “preaching to and educating choir” so we can expand our ranks.

Kathy Whitmore

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:52 pm

I have been impressed with the coverage offered in ZAMAT – one of the daily’s in Turkey. A voice for reasonableness! Turkey holds a unique spot in the world as times change.

Martin Clancy

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:52 pm

When the Washington Times referred to Charlton Heston as a civil rights advocate, I realized that it had a unique viewpoint. But all opinions should be considered. How about a source from “old Europe”?

David Nash

posted May 28, 2007 at 5:56 pm

You do a fantastic summary of the news! What I miss, you usually pick up and report on it. I would like a bit more cultural critique, but that may mean a change of focus for the Digest. Perhaps another location on cultural issues and comment would be appropriate. Thanks for what you do.

Elizabeth

posted May 28, 2007 at 6:13 pm

I think the range is good, but I would like to see more OP-ED pieces gleaned from the sources. I find those the most interesting and am able to use them in the classroom in order to generate discussions of current topics.

Annette

posted May 28, 2007 at 6:14 pm

I’m a UK reader, and find yours a useful source of how the more independent/rational US Christians are thinking. I’d like to see more from each continent – not much from Latin America, for instance, and the African news tends to focus on crises. Ekklesia in the UK writes some very good, balanced pieces on world/religious topics, which you may wish to link to from time to time: http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/ Keep up the good work and I love your Verse & Voice!

Judith

posted May 28, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Thank you for what you are doing–you publish and make us aware of some important news that is frequently either left out of our local paper or buried in the back pages.

Sandra Widstrom

posted May 28, 2007 at 6:22 pm

I saw one comment about using papers from the center of the country. Along that vein, how about choosing rural papers now and then? It may get at a different perspective.

Diane Jones

posted May 28, 2007 at 6:41 pm

I love your sources, but also think something from the Midwest, as well as one of the Canadian papers would give useful points of vie.

Arlene Raudenbush

posted May 28, 2007 at 6:43 pm

There is a very large moderate Muslim movement in Turkey inspired by Fetullah Gulen. They are of the Sufi tradition and believe in the acceptance of all people, work for peace and understanding through interfaith dialogue, and have a strong outreach and service to others component. Their newspaper Today’s Zaman English version can be reached at http://www.todayszaman.com. Why not join with our Muslim brothers and sisters who are speaking out against terrorism and promoting faith, understanding and peace.

sally montgomery

posted May 28, 2007 at 6:44 pm

I read all of these, but I wonder if you shouldn’t have another European source (Germany, France) and something from China. At least for reference. I don’t know about some of the inner states newspapers, you probably do get some of that. I read them to see what opinions they have and usually don’t agree..But I think it is good to know. McClatchy is a good idea. Thank you. sally montgomery

Terry Morton

posted May 28, 2007 at 6:50 pm

Excellent synthesis–thanks so much.

Tyler Riedesel

posted May 28, 2007 at 6:57 pm

The info is great, thanks. Keep up the fight.

Karen Rode

posted May 28, 2007 at 6:58 pm

One of the issues near and dear to my heart as a Registered Nurse, is the worldwide nursing shortage, and how the US is raiding other countries to import nurses, leaving their healthcare in even more dire straits, which is quite immoral in my opinion. Also more on the healthcare crisis in this country, and the need for a solution. I almost never see any healthcare related issues mentioned.

HASH(0x1172cf7c)

posted May 28, 2007 at 7:04 pm

It would be good to include Canadian content in your news coverage–try the Globe and Mail. A previous respondant suggests CBC, equally good. I am Canadian, by the way. Keep up the great work! Dr. Annette Ahern Antigonish, Nova Scotia

chris brown

posted May 28, 2007 at 7:06 pm

Jim Wallace was in a article in todays Independent in the UK exploring Gordon Browns Christianity so its nice to see Sojourners making news as well as reporting it Long may it continue

Tyler Riedesel

posted May 28, 2007 at 7:07 pm

The International information is very useful. Also a Non-profit organization you mught be interested in is People not Profit. http://peoplenotprofit.org/ Thanks for the hard work.

Susan Ring

posted May 28, 2007 at 7:20 pm

What is already represented are many of my sources of information, and I agree with others that reporting from other areas of the country and world would be interesting as well. You have included comments from Joan Chittester and she reports on National Catholic Reporter, a very independent Catholic source and is located in Kansas City! What is so awesome is that God’s message is threaded all through the individuals of the world and listening to all of these people expands our understanding.

Toby Meuli

posted May 28, 2007 at 7:46 pm

As some have already stated, I would love to see middle America newspapers used for continued US coverage; The Denver Post, Kansas City Star, Dallas Morning News. I’ve worked with several homeless organizations and their fight against poverty and work with state legislators is constantly on the front pages of those papers listed above. I’d also like to have 2 or 3 more stories per day. Thanks for your work and the feedback opportunity.

Dave Moseman

posted May 28, 2007 at 7:58 pm

I like your choices, but think many people look at the world from the economic side. Thus the Wall Street Journal and Economist would add balance. The ideas of adding Catholic and Islamic perspectives would add to our global view. Then there is India and China that you omit.

Anthony Fadale

posted May 28, 2007 at 8:02 pm

You are doing well. Thanks for the service.

Nora James

posted May 28, 2007 at 8:03 pm

I appreciate the daily digest. I would like to see more efforts to report on human rights issues in the world and persecuted Christians. There are several excellent websites and digests which could round out your sources. These include Amnesty International(http://news.amnesty.org/); , International Justice Mission (http://www.ijm.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?&pid=178&srcid=-2); Initiative Against Sex Trafficing (http://www.iast.net/); Persecuted Church (www.persecution.org, http://www.opendoorsusa.org, http://www.persecution.com/news/index.cfm, http://www.compassdirect.org, http://www.forum18.org and http://www.barnabasfund.org). One small group which is very hands on suffering with the oppressed and providing aid is Free Burma Rangers (http://www.freeburmarangers.org/). There are of course many others. Living in Canada, I find CBC does present a wider range of news often than the US media presents. This morning CBC Radio did a piece on the forced abortions even up to delivery of women pregant in the countryside with more than one child, while in the city this is tolerated (http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/05/28/china-riots.html).I think Christians need to be informed about what is going on in the world among the oppressed and among Christians worldwide. In addition, we need to know what Christians and others are doing to eleviate suffering and aid the oppressed and to prayerfully consider where God wants us to be engaged in His care and purposes.

Jordan WLester

posted May 28, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Hi, I noticed that the Sojourners summary of news provides ABSOLUTELY no coverage of Canadian Politics and Affairs, despite the fact that Canada’s biggest trading partner is the US and considering the fact that Canada and the US are so deeply connected that one couldn’t exist without the other.Also, in doing so, you’d help to break down the perception that Sojourners is an ‘American-only’ organization. So ya, include Canada’s National Paper, “The Globe and Mail” for Canadian Coverage!

Jack Ternan

posted May 28, 2007 at 8:25 pm

I’d add Catholic World News.

Jordan WLester

posted May 28, 2007 at 8:26 pm

But ya, also being from the province of Newfoundland and Labrador within Canada, adding the newspapers of “The Independent” and “The Telegram” (the NL version NOT the British one) to your list would help as well (because so many Americans know so little about newfoundland!)And ya, at one point, Newfoundland ALMOST ended up joining the US because of a Trade Agreement the then country/colony of Newfoundland signed with the US in the 40′s!

Jordan WLester

posted May 28, 2007 at 8:27 pm

In addition, please add the Blog that the Hamilton MP in Ottawa authors daily titled “The Turner Report”, which is a record of his personal experiences in politics, key social issues,etc… (http://www.garth.ca)

Shay

posted May 28, 2007 at 8:33 pm

Keep up the good work you are doing and excellent job keep everyone informed. Shay

Ron Rouintree

posted May 28, 2007 at 8:33 pm

You have a good mix of sources, covering a wide range of viewpoints. I particularly commend you for including Al Jazeera. The reaction I get from much of the “christian” community is “How could anyone read them for news”. I would suggest adding a link to “FactCheck.org” a site that reviews campaign adds and point out the facts. Very even handed and helps clear some of the smoke.

Susan

posted May 28, 2007 at 9:00 pm

I can only add NPR as another valuable source. Without NPR and your blog, I would be totally without a news source, as I refuse to pay any attention to our local newspaper or TV stations. Most of their output is so totally biased in favor of the religious and political right, that they are of no use in forming an educated opinion on anything, much less anything important.

Joe santos

posted May 28, 2007 at 9:15 pm

You provide a marvelous service in what you do: providing news and commentary that speaks to the heart of issues before us.

Robbie Ousley

posted May 28, 2007 at 9:21 pm

I think your resources, news, and editorials are excellent! It seems almost impossible; how so many major topics are covered all the time. I would like to see more to balance the global warming issues with human equality and assistance. The main thing I haven t understood is why average to low income consumers aren t pursuing free, independent, fossil-free energy flowing around everybody s homes all the time. If politicians really want to reduce poverty and lower emissions, use of fossil fuels, and foreign oil then why aren t they pursuing retrofitting every home to be able to link self-sufficient energy generation? There doesn t seem to be a lot of better ways to permanently help the poor and jobless locally, and in every society globally, but to show them how to fish using household and discarded items to alleviate the growing cost and global problems. It seems like elitists, politicians, financial gurus, and even ministers think the overwhelming majority of medium to low income people are not smart enough or are too lazy to pick up these causes like they did during the wars of the last century. Even little pinwheel wind-catchers, solar collectors, and downspout turbines (all easily made of un-recycled materials) would make a huge difference in energy costs, national and global problems if only given the opportunity to utilize our creative ingenuity. If we can t do it for global betterment then we should do it for human equality; and vise versa. It just seems like nobody is covering this perspective that I have heard occasionally from candidates and self-sufficiency experts. http://www.unidiversal.com/ConsumerEnergy.html

Kathryn "Katie" Krauss

posted May 28, 2007 at 9:54 pm

Really like the daily digest. It is the only place I receive the news from a Progressive Faith perspective. Keep up the good work. Peace and all good,

MARY RYAN-HOTCHKISS

posted May 28, 2007 at 10:16 pm

I read the Daily Digest because it is brief and has a mixture of inspiring(good) and motivating(bad) news. Keep up the good work.

Liz Marlia-Stein

posted May 28, 2007 at 10:20 pm

Thank you so much for the easy access of keeping me abreast on what is happening in our world. The Progressive Christian slant makes heart-wrenching news easier to digest.I also heard that “The Nation” is also a worthy publication. Blessings to you all, Liz Marlia-Stein

Mary Hamilton

posted May 28, 2007 at 10:21 pm

I appreciate your news. Do you get National Catholic Reporter? I also appreciate Democracy Now which comes on Channel 35 in Philadelphis on Tuesday and Thursday. Please continue your good work and thank you. Mary

Ruth Cook

posted May 28, 2007 at 10:33 pm

I very much appreciate your brief daily summaries. It is a perspective I trust. Adding more sources for balance is probably all right, but don’t lose your Progressive Faith perspective, please. And there must be a limited number of periodicals you can read and digest in a day! Keep up the good work.

Richard Humphries

posted May 28, 2007 at 10:38 pm

I am very happy with your whole approach. I particularly like Verse and Voice and share it with several friends.

Roger Bourassa

posted May 28, 2007 at 10:45 pm

I find all your sources to be credible and many of them duplicate my sources. I would add “The Economist” magazine. They approach many issues, particularly economic issues, somewhat right of center. They provide a good balance to the more left of center resurces you listed. Thanks for all the good work you do.

Charles Cathey

posted May 28, 2007 at 10:53 pm

Even though I tend to be Liberal in my perspectives, I think the Wall Street Journal might be a good addition!

kim

posted May 28, 2007 at 10:58 pm

Great stuff! Read it several times a week. i might suggest The Toronto Star. It has Canada’s largest circulation and is Canada’s largest privately owned newspaper. Throughout his 50 years as publisher of The Toronto Star from 1899 to 1948, Joseph E. Atkinson developed strong views on both the role of a large city newspaper and the editorial principles it should espouse. Social justice issues are paramount in the papers philosophy. They have been writing about poverty in Toronto Canada everyday for a year and made the same commitment next year regarding homelessness and the next for another social justice focus. Having these issues in peoples minds every day may make a positive difference.

mary L Ewing

posted May 28, 2007 at 11:08 pm

Try Father Andrew Greeley’s Friday column in the Chicago Sun-Times. He pulls no punches and you may find yourself agreeing with him more often than not. ML

Gemma Wilson

posted May 28, 2007 at 11:24 pm

Excellent choiceson the whole. What about Le Monde too and some liberal Asiatic source so as to make your daily digest more truly international. There is… not a US bias but a tendency to have more items from the US point of view, albeit the liberal one which i am in agreement with. But keep up the good work. Gemma Wilson SM

Linda Demas

posted May 28, 2007 at 11:26 pm

You are a beacon. Looking forward to the 6/4 debate. Healthcare, or lack thereof, affects all but the wealthiest and our Congressmen and women who have voted themselves a fine package.

jerry jurries

posted May 28, 2007 at 11:48 pm

i appreciate your work. like it or not about half of the voters in this country are republicans/conservative. maybe more of an effort could be made to better understand and tolerate this huge group. they will not go away and their opinions and ideas are just as important as the more liberal side.

Pete Barrett

posted May 29, 2007 at 12:43 am

I like the Daily Digest, but I don’t know what spectrum is coverd by the newspapers mentioned. The media is corporate-owned and shows little appetite for seeking the truth from the government. They didn’t roll over for the White House in the run-up to the Iraq War, they signed-on as full-fledged backers. If some editorial boards endorsed John Kerry, so what? He wanted to send MORE troops into Iraq.

Philip Newman

posted May 29, 2007 at 12:51 am

I value the Daily Digest, and your spread of resources is good, including many that I use myself, such as Al Jazeera; however, there is a notable void in relation to China, and Asia generally, which I believe that you, and the USA in general, cannot continue to ignore. Philip Newman, Australia.

HASH(0x11751ebc)

posted May 29, 2007 at 1:29 am

I am fairly new to Sojo mail, but have been very pleased so far with everything I’ve read. I have now suggestions – just keep up the good work. Carole

david foster

posted May 29, 2007 at 1:35 am

Please consider adding a few periodicals for depth and perspective. As for names, your judgment will guide.

David

posted May 29, 2007 at 2:45 am

I couldn’t be happier with your sources! I suppose if I thought about it, I’d love to see some results from Canadian sources as well.

lucho velez

posted May 29, 2007 at 2:58 am

As a ESL Spanish speaking Christian believer from South America, I find Sojourners Daily Digest a most useful tool in personal reflexions & my understanding of US politics and God’s politics in worldwide history. I really like you but maybe SDD could do with a little more of emphasis in God’s doings in Latin America with a proactive view besides your usual favourite reference to paramilitaries in Colombia… there is alot more going on in my continent in terms of God’s kingship and Christian justice.

Jim Bauder

posted May 29, 2007 at 3:18 am

The Wall Street Journal, U.S News & World Report as well as Fox News should be added. Most solders back from the actions state that Fox News gives a more accurate reporting of the events in Iraq and the Middle East than CNN and especially teh news braches of the major Networks. The selection of newspapers you list are mainly isolated along the coasts and largely redundant. Some much more extreme left than others. Such a selection of news sources presupposes a very liberal (leftist leanings) which will further act to isolate the effort. It also presupposes that only leftists and liberals can be Christians. A fact I am sure Christ finds at least amusing. It seems that your basic premise is that the Democratic Party is the only truthful and God fearing political party. The same party that has spent the Social Security Trust Fund but maintains that there is NO PROBLEM etc… This is the same party that overly emphasizes energy production’s possible affect on global warming – not realizing that most of global warming is part of natural cycles as well as very bad land uses. The political party that has polarized global warming and falsely ignored the facts that these natural cycles have predicted the warming as well as the cooling phase to comeThe same political party that party affiliates charge others falsely before elections then the liberal press seems to forget to mention when those charged are exonerated. – but only after the election.As an environmentalist I applaud being more environmental responsible – but the actions must be based on fact not fiction. If you are really searching for the truth and Christ’s way, you will treat all of the major political parties in a similar way .

Peter Sigmann

posted May 29, 2007 at 3:21 am

The digest is very useful to me. Almost always I agree with your analysis of the pieces that I also read in the original. May consider adding The Guardian or Financial Times or Economist or Toronto Star.

Fred & Cindy Dabrowski

posted May 29, 2007 at 4:02 am

Keep doing what you are doing. The items are informative and provide a quick update on important issues.

Michael Bloem

posted May 29, 2007 at 4:29 am

Others may have mentioned this (too many to read), but it would be great if you could put the source for each quote directly after the quote. God bless!

Virginia Doland

posted May 29, 2007 at 5:41 am

I really like what you are doing. I read many of the same sources you use, but I appreciate the summary form and also the manner in which this makes me think about how the news relates to the core concerns which Sojourners and I share.

Gina-Marie Cheeseman

posted May 29, 2007 at 5:43 am

The main stream media is corporate, and therefore not always the best source for news. However, there are a number of quality independent news mediums, including: Democracy Now Alternet.org CommonDreams.org Truthout.org Truthdig.com People’s Weekly World Mosiac News on LinkTV Of course there are also PBS programs: Frontline Bill Moyers Journal NewsHour with Jim Lehrer

Dale Long

posted May 29, 2007 at 6:31 am

Appreciate the succint and useful summaries. A native of Pennsylvania, I too recommend The Economist, and thank the previous commenters for sources of alternative news. Peace.

Warren Sapp

posted May 29, 2007 at 6:36 am

An issue that will need even more coverage in the months/years to come, especially as it applies to the midwest/southwest, is immigration/illegal immigration. This “uniform” region is rapidly becoming more diverse and xenophobic hysteria is gaining momentum rapidly. It is a very disturbing trend, and the institutional violence of policies may well be matched with personal violence in the near future.

Betsy A. Leonard

posted May 29, 2007 at 7:36 am

I think the range of your sources is commendable. A few others have suggested some additional sources that would be good for you to consider. I appreciate your topics covered. I like the synopsis of comments with the opportunity to learn more.

Marilou

posted May 29, 2007 at 8:23 am

It does blow me away, to see all the places that discuss the important stuff. However, most of those publications do not focus on what good things are being done. They focus on war, enocomic, other countries who are sending us stuff that make us sick. But we need more about a woman helping those she sees as in need, or someone using their money to pay for education of poor children and including money for housing and food.

Marilou

posted May 29, 2007 at 8:39 am

I saw one person commenting on including papers from the center of the US and that is very important. Many of those papers focus on the good things happening through out their community so we all should have that information also!! Even though I have a MA from Univ of Chicago, it is with illnesses that the hard points seem to fade away. So, some stuff for those of us with disablity also. But all in all Jim, you have taken a very important part of our Christian lives and focus fully on all parts of it. Thank you

Glenn DeVoogd

posted May 29, 2007 at 8:58 am

Wow, it’s great to hear what everybody is saying. I have been struggling myself because there is so much uniformity in the mainstream media and there is much it doesn’t say. I’m afraid that if my head is too much into popular media, my creativity will be limited and I will be too much “in the world…” I’m trying to figure out what should God’s politics be? Where do I get intellectual support and how do I organize for action? Partly the answer for me is not to read too many mainstream sources, but read and listen to a wider range, but not so often you get used to them. Not so much so that they seem normal to you. When I read I have to be mentally aggressive imagining alternative perspectives and naming what power put that piece in the paper and what would a Christian have put on the front page instead. Christian magazines, you and the Digest does that for me. I also use: Democracynow.org indymedia.org, Ode, and the Christian Science Monitor used to be my favorite. Then books – Overthrow demystifies the ‘America for democracy’ ideal or any by Zinn or Chomsky. Intermittently I have to stop and question, what would a Christian say here. Disrupt the books/paper’s agenda by challenging their list of topics and imagining God’s topics or perspective.

D nal

posted May 29, 2007 at 10:40 am

A comment from Ireland. Mary (also form Ireland, see above) mentions the Irish Times. Unfortunately it is a subscription based only service.www.opendemocracy.net might be of interest to your readers although it is not from an American perspective.

D nal

posted May 29, 2007 at 10:49 am

You could also try: the world news section of the Times of India: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ sina.com: http://english.sina.com/index.html and the Moscow Times: http://www.moscowtimes.ru

Goran

posted May 29, 2007 at 12:36 pm

I really enjoy the Daily digest at Sojourner. But I would like to see more coverage of indigenous peoples issues. God Bless!

HASH(0x11769298)

posted May 29, 2007 at 1:34 pm

I gain lots of insights that I would not be able to find otherwise. Thanks. Hpiano

Wendell

posted May 29, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Too much from US sources; not enuf international. You should add NPR, the Lebanon Daily Star, and more international sources. If I had been reading your sources before the latest Iraq war, would I have understood the issues? The NY Times and Washington Post were mostly wrong, i.e. they published the Bush administration with insufficient critique. At that time, I was reading the Guardian and BBC, and had a much better understanding of what was going on than most of the people in the US. So I am very carefull how much I read US sources.

Debbie Payton

posted May 29, 2007 at 2:16 pm

I agree with the many individuals who have responded favorably to the perspectives that you offer. Since I see Christ as a liberal and a radical of his time and of ours, I do not believe any of your postings are “too liberal”. Additionally, I have found the links to articles on your blog to share wonderful messages of peace, tolerance, and social justice. I thank you, as well as all of your staff, for delivering a Christian message that I actually recognize as Christ’s. Many Blessings for the Success of your efforts!!!

John Holmes

posted May 29, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Try the ABC of Australia for a view from the South of SE Asia which is not dominated by corporate interests. http://www.abc.net.au/

Sandra Austin

posted May 29, 2007 at 3:39 pm

There seems to be an over-emphasis on Iraq and Iran. I joined because I’m concerned about eliminating poverty, so I’d like to see more emphasis on poverty, housing, living wages, exploitation and racism. I have to really look hard to find those articles, and they’re usually at the end–indicating lesser priority. For international coverasge, how about including Middle East, Russia, Africa and Asian sources as well? Don’t we need to understand what others are thinking? I do appreciate the service very much. As someone with limited time, it allows me to focus on issues dear to my heart. The coverage on immigration has been very helpful, too.

Rob O'Callaghan

posted May 29, 2007 at 3:42 pm

The daily digest is a great resource. You do a great job pulling together solid articles that I would never have the time to find on my own. I have also found NCR and the Independent helpful. For straight news, direct AP, AFP, or Reuters wire feeds might be good to offer. But I would especially like to see more articles offering analysis of the news as well. These may be more likely to come from journals, news mags, or online sources than from the dailies. Maybe the Nation or Tikkun. Also some of the popular news mags occasionally have stuff worth seeing – a Newsweek article on the pope and politics, for ex. The idea of a rural perspective is not bad, it’s just that middle or Southern newspapers (the Atlanta Journal Constitution) are not good sources for much more than local news. Sometimes the local news is worth seeing of course, and may have ambitious articles on local poverty issues or faith and politics. I’m wary of those wishing to see “balance” – a prophetic calling can too easily be muddled up in the whole “there’s two sides to every issue” approach. Finally, I would love it if the daily digest was emailed in total, with all the article links contained in the message itself. A big time saver. Thanks!

Mike

posted May 29, 2007 at 3:43 pm

A suggestion on process. If you aren’t already, suggest you use a news aggregator such as Feed Demon to collect RSS feeds. It would allow you to greatly expand the sources you use and reduce time required to review.

Charles Rogers

posted May 29, 2007 at 4:34 pm

Don’t change too much, I like what you are doing!

Mary Cathryn

posted May 29, 2007 at 5:35 pm

It’s often overwhelming so I skip much. I guess I could just pick an issue. I’m glad to know how you do it. Gives me a better idea of what I’m reading.

canucklehead

posted May 29, 2007 at 6:35 pm

Whatever you do, keep publishing those obituaries from The Bellamy Bugle.

canucklehead

posted May 29, 2007 at 6:40 pm

On a serious note, I see that none of my fellow Canadians who have posted have mentioned Toronto’s “other” newspaper = The National Post. It’s founder, Conrad Black, is currently in a Chicago court room defending himself of charges of fleecing shareholders while he was the big shot at Hollinger when it owned The Chicago Sun-Times. The Post is definitely right of center and I read it on weekends along with The Globe and Mail (Canada’s self-proclaimed “national” newspaper) for the views of the right and the left.I then go back to **The Bellamy Bugle for the Truth. **a Jack Van Impe publication

murphy

posted May 29, 2007 at 6:44 pm

thank you for daily compassionate attentiveness/awareness (“bodhichitta”). thanks also for this opportunity for dialogue! as many others have also expressed, i feel i can rely on your eye to give me a bird’s eye view of several important issues. Recommendations: yes, move farther beyond U.S. orientation; include more Western Hemisphere (Canada and Latin America), as well as Asia and Africa. Also: more direct inclusion of perspectives and activities from other religious/spiritual streams–Muslim and Buddhist particularly. Finally, help us keep in mind the lives of ordinary folk here and around the world, and how they live and are affected by the “lifestyles” and daily choices of those “more fortunate” (such a questionable phrase!), such as me on my computer mid-morning. Namaste! murphy

Nick B. Chavez

posted May 29, 2007 at 6:56 pm

I see you have the west coast “covered” via the Los Angeles Times. However northern California is our part of the world, either San Francisco or the capital of Silicon Valley: San Jose.

Sam Stover

posted May 29, 2007 at 6:57 pm

How about something from the former Knight-Ridder group (now McClatchy). According to Bill Moyers this was one of the few consistent media voices in opposition to the Bush administration’s build-up to the Iraq war. Courageous stuff in retrospect.

Tim O'Brien

posted May 29, 2007 at 9:00 pm

Thank you for keeping me/us informed.

Kathy

posted May 29, 2007 at 11:21 pm

I would add the website Americans United for the Seperation of Church and State. I read their blog almost daily and they keep me on top of church/state issues in the country.

HASH(0x1177a488)

posted May 29, 2007 at 11:25 pm

I was surpised to see that you did not include the Wall Street Journal. One, they cover in detail matters that I rarely see covered at length in the Chicago Tribune. I find it very informative. I do not read it for a financial perspective. It lends a different perspective.

Len Byler

posted May 29, 2007 at 11:54 pm

You know, Duane, those are papers I pretty much scan myself, other than Chicago Tribune and USA Today. I think your efforts at summary are quite good, although somewhat redundant for me. Maybe I’m wasting your time sending to me. I do usually scan your Digest, though, as well.Thanks for your efforts, Duane. Len

Brent Hardaway

posted May 30, 2007 at 12:37 am

Many have mentioned the Wall Street Journal – that is widely respected and would be a good addition. The UK Daily Telegraph seems to be pretty balanced also.

Jayne Raffety

posted May 30, 2007 at 1:07 am

You seem to be a little lean on examining global humanitarian issues except through general news sources. Check out Reuters and http://www.alertnet.org for really interesting up-to date news dispatches, blogs, and articles that respond to worldwide needs.

anonymous

posted May 30, 2007 at 4:33 am

Good choices. Good variety.

Cheryl R. Thomas

posted May 30, 2007 at 4:37 pm

Duane- Your digest is wonderful! I deeply appreciate the time and effort you have put into it. I use it in the development of curriculumn and sermon preparation each week. My current events tied to the lectionary text blog is at http:/cherylcalvarydsm.spaces.live I would echo the need for adding a Mid-Western perspective preferably from a Knight Ridder paper. Their Washington D.C. bureau was the only journilist who got the Iraq story right.

Rick Nowlin

posted May 30, 2007 at 5:03 pm

I suggest The National Review as an intelligent, conservative source for balance. National Review, as with virtually all conservative media, is journalistically suspect. In other words, it may not have its facts straight, and a Christian blog should aspire to a higher standard.

Rudolf Dyke

posted May 30, 2007 at 6:12 pm

I very much enjoy the crisp comments and reviews of issues that are of paramount importance to the Christian faith. I would also appreciate a little more emphasis of the environmental issues and controversies. They require a biblical mandate to become important to the churches. Also the impact of the large corporations in the U.S.A. and Canada on the political parties should be emphasized. We might be surprised to find that the wars are a front for their true agendas. Rudolf Dyke

Alert Ear

posted May 31, 2007 at 12:03 pm

I appreciate your effort and agree that the “Economist” could also be a source of information. However, to put things in broader perspective, as the world’future depends on the directions politicians take, I would suggest to include “Le Monde Diplomatique”, “Science et Vie” that treat issues on a more broadly scale. News of scientific nature and environment also seem to me to be important as these are issues that concern future development.

John from Philly

posted May 31, 2007 at 3:45 pm

Duane, While the stories covered in the daily news digest are certainly relevant and important, I generally do not read those posts. One of the main reasons is that, as a clergy person with a concern for social justice and public policy, I try to really keep up with these stories via news sources and blogs, etc. One of the main ways I do this is via Bloglines.com- which is how I receive the God’s Politics posts, by the way. I would find it much more beneficial to not just receive a ‘summary’ of such stories (many or most of which I have usually already read about), but rather a brief concise faith perspective or commentary on them from a social justice point of view would be most helpful. Otherwise it just seems to be a rather generic amalgamation of stories that are already out there and being reported on in the news sources and blogs to which I already subscribe. I greatly appreciate the fact that you are bringing these stories to a wider public audience, I just believe there is more you could do with them to effectively connect them with the progressive faith perspective that Sojourners is all about. Shalom, John from Philadelphia

m schink

posted May 31, 2007 at 6:34 pm

Many thanks. I deeply appreciate the coverage and would value observations and insights from South Asia and Asia as well as Latin America and Africa (I am less familiar with Latin America and Africa and don’t know whether there are English language papers that meet your criteria). I have done international human rights work and have always found the insights, observations, and perspectives from throughout the world important for a deeper understanding of issues -

Steve

posted June 1, 2007 at 6:36 pm

You cover a good range. One reader mentioned French and German. Der Spiegel has an English site: http://www.spiegel.de/international/ From Israel Jerusalem Post is more conservative than Ha Arets but has some interesting Israeli and American Jewish perspectives. As Russian relations become more important again, you might consider The Moscow Times http://www.themoscowtimes.com/indexes/01.html and / or Kommersant (in English) at http://www.kommersant.com/. Another Arab perspective is available in the English language weekly version of Al Ahram (sometimes described as “semi-official”): http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/index.htm.

HASH(0x116f66d0)

posted June 6, 2007 at 10:05 pm

You would have to publish a “reader’s digest” kind of magazine to take in all aspects and do you have thirty editors doing the reading even now? Wow On the Creation Care side I like the National Resource Defense Council magazine and I try to find “Democracy Now” on Community radio, and read Christian Century. Jim Warn, Parachute, CO.

Sr.Susan DiDomenicantonio

posted June 8, 2007 at 8:57 pm

You give a broad and concise spectrum of the news. It is true as has been mentioned above that it might be good to occasionally include some general info from Belgium, or France,or Italy as well as maybe from India or other Asian country on the peace/justice,etc. stance that you take. THANKS for what you do! Sue>

Peter Busby

posted June 12, 2007 at 5:36 pm

I appreciate the wide range of material available and enjoy following other stories available on the various links. The Vancouver Sun and the Globe and Mail would provide some Canadian perspectives to those of us who live in the Northern part of our continent.>

Remy Zebrowski

posted June 16, 2007 at 7:11 pm

I think what you’re doing is great and a noble effort. Sources that I also like to check out for a balanced view (though I am fairly liberal in my own views, I like to stay well-informed) include the following: -The Wall Street Journal -The National Review -The Economist (for great writing and depth that you just don’t see in newspapers, this is the best mag/journal on the planet)>