Why is unemployment so high? Why hasn’t it gotten better? Why haven’t the national credit card of TARP, Stimulus funds, bail-outs, and buy-outs made the situation any better? It’s not Obama’s fault nor Bush’s fault. Or another way to say it might be: It’s both Obama’s fault and Bush’s fault. Behind the political name-calling and finger-pointing is a destructive philosophy. This philosophy is a way of thinking about economics that is completely upside-down and counter to the Bible.
God offers clear, simple, easy to understand, advice on running an economy. A way to bless everyone with opportunities for liberty, prosperity, and generosity. God offers a way to run a nation that offers justice for all. He offers wisdom on how to spend, how to budget, and how to create jobs. Paul warns us in Colossians not to fall for worldly philosophies and empty conceit. Though he is specifically addressing a false teaching about Christ, his greater application is discernment to all thinking that is contrary to God’s word.
Col 2:8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.
What is this philosophy? It’s the ridiculous belief that you can build an economy by borrowing, inflating, and taxing. It’s the silly notion that any can build an economy on consumption, rather than production. Proverbs 31 lays out the principles so clearly. It shows us how to provide jobs for those who need it. You allow small business people like the Proverbs 31 woman to produce, profit, invest, save, and give. Small businesses create 99.7 % of new jobs in this country. Here are a few facts about small business:
- Represent 99.7 percent of all employer firms.
- Employ just over half of all private sector employees.
- Pay 44 percent of total U.S. private payroll.
- Have generated 64 percent of net new jobs over the past 15 years.
- Create more than half of the non-farm private gross domestic product (GDP).
- Hire 40 percent of high tech workers (such as scientists, engineers, computer programmers).
- Are 52 percent home-based and 2 percent franchises.
- Made up 97.3 percent of all identified exporters and produced 30.2 percent of the known export value in FY 2007.
- Produce 13 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms; these patents are twice as likely as large firm patents to be among the one percent most cited.
What is the opposite of Godonomics? Taxing and diverting the small business person’s wealth to inefficient third party purchases, inflating a currency that punishes the saver, and borrowing from other countries to support their production rather than our own.
For a free session of Godonomics, visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DFO7mCdkx0